Berry on Oliver

Remove this Banner Ad

Zero intent, zero impact, high contact. Perfectly reasonable action in the circumstances. No fine, no suspension.

Media fools should get 4 weeks down to 3 with an early plea and the ones who didn’t go as hard should get stiff fines. Gary Lyon I am sure is not a first offence, de-register that campaigner. AFL should ring Ralphy on Monday seeking a please explain.

View attachment 1504312

Arm on the throat choking him out, let's ignore that

Hand trying to push the guy off....EYE GOUGE!!!

Vic media doing some of its best work here
choking him out? not sure what photo you're looking at. he doesn't even have a arm on his neck. chin/upper chest at best.

no need for Berry to have bent fingers if trying to push Oliver off. 1 or 2 weeks for me. No big deal though if he plays vs geelong.

Jon Ralph the absolute tosser was going on about this harder than anyone, reckons it'll be a week suspension at least. What the fk is he supposed to do? Let Oliver pin him down and just take it?
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, Clayton. Should be dismissed within 5 minutes.
Remember when the media were not allowed to show replays or prejudice the case by commenting on it?

I would want to see the full scuffle before passing judgement one way or the other.

If Berry started it, and then Oliver outwrestled him into side control, and then Berry went the gouge, then ❌ for Berry.

Don't start it, then go dirty once you get beaten. That's not on.

On the other hand, if Oliver started it, when Berry was minding his own business, then Berry had every right to fire back ✅

You're not allowed to wrestle and lay on people without the football. That's breaking the rules, pure and simple.

So if Oliver broke the rules, and put his arm anywhere near Berry's throat, without provocation, then he asked for it.

The clip in OP's tweet is not enough evidence to judge one way or the other imho.

(I didn't watch most of the game and had not seen this footage until just now).

I don't see an arm on the throat. Pressing into the top of his chest pretty hard which would be uncomfortable but there appears to be no arm on the throat. In comparison the eye gouge is pretty clear. I hope they let Berry play anyway though and it's not like he's gouging him without some reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 week, can clearly see what his intentions were. Grubby act that has no place in the game. Expecting that the Lions will get their usual discount at the MRO though and it’ll be nothing so Oliver will probably get fined and the grub will get let off.

Would be farcical if he gets rubbed out for this. Arm on his throat, vision impaired, and it seems as soon as he realises he's around the eye he pulls away. I'm impressed by his restraint, if anything.

I would want to see the full scuffle before passing judgement one way or the other.

If Berry started it, and then Oliver outwrestled him into side control, and then Berry went the gouge, then ❌ for Berry.

Don't start it, then go dirty once you get beaten. That's not on.

On the other hand, if Oliver started it, when Berry was minding his own business, then Berry had every right to fire back ✅

You're not allowed to wrestle and lay on people without the football. That's breaking the rules, pure and simple.

So if Oliver broke the rules, and put his arm anywhere near Berry's throat, without provocation, then he asked for it.

The clip in OP's tweet is not enough evidence to judge one way or the other imho.

(I didn't watch most of the game and had not seen this footage until just now).
There's no excuse for eye gauging. that's one of the lowest acts. It's a dog act. Berry is a big boy, you'd him to be able to wrestle his way out of it. People are talking about it as if Oliver is plugger Lockett or something. Anyone pretending that he wasn't eye gauging are sticking their head in the sand. But honestly if he gets off the charge, they lose by 50, if he gets weeks they lose by 60. It's not a deal breaker to this game. There's no-one tag worthy at Geelong anyway.

The injuries to Oliver's face happened last week against Sydney - he was sent off multiple times for the blood rule, and ended up with more bandages than the Mummy. Commentators using these injuries to convict Berry are a disgrace. Jon Ralph would be the sort of bloke who goes to public hangings and cheers for the hangman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Berry on Oliver

Remove this Banner Ad

Back