HB: K.Hardingham M.Hurley B.Stanton
C: C.Dempsey B.Howlett D.Zaharakis
HF: A.Monfries S.Gumbleton H.Hocking
FF: A.Davey J.Carlisle J.Winderlich
F: D.Hille J.Watson N.Lovett-Murray
INT: P.Ryder L.Jetta D.Myers T.Colyer
EMG: S.Lonergan J.Melksham B.Houli

Backline:
As much as I love Fletcher there has to be a time when he needs to step aside for the development of the team for the next premiership tilt. Could easily be swapped for T.Slattery though.

Hardingham wants to be the next Luke Hodge so lets give him the opportunity

Stanton doesn’t seem to cope too well when tagged well and I thought he started to do some good stuff off the half back after a few games there.

H.Slattery or M.McVeigh could also come into the side when playing teams with key smalls (Milne, Le Cras etc.)

Centres:
Love the thought of Dempsey weaving through traffic down the wing and really think he is better suited in the middle or forward of the ground.

Think Howlett can be the one to give support to Jobe along with Myers and possibly Lonergan

Zaharakis has paid his dues and is ready for this part of the ground, can also be swapped with Winderlich for periods as he can kick a goal also.

Forwards:
Not a fan of Hocking playing defence, like his pressure and tackling and think he is a good shot for goal

Gumbles and Monfries to keep doing their thing although I wouldn’t mind seeing Monfries maybe have a go at a tagging role next year just to see how he goes as I really like how he played on Sam Fisher in second game against St Kilda.

I put in Carlisle but could be either him or Neagle, depending on who deserves the spot the most with Hille and Ryder chillin down their for periods when they’re not smacking the opposition rucks.

Followers:
Putting NLM in here is a gamble but I think we need a permanent tagger in the team as per Ling for Geelong, Jones for St Kilda etc. Could also have Welsh there as he is probably more proven but I would like to see NLM have a go.

Interchange:
Ryder to rotate with Hille and Tall forwards and possibly down back if required.

Jetta and Colyer to rotate with the runners and small forwards

Myers to rotate through with Jobe/ Howlett and down back if required

Tre i really like this team.

Trade gus out for knights, winderlich for rischitelli and salopek for hocking, and we might actually challenge in 2011 ..

FB: Fletcher Pears Hooker
HB: Hocking Hurley Atkinson
C: Dempsey Howlett Zaharakis
HF: Monfries Gumbleton Stanton
FF: Davey Lloyd/Williams Jetta
F: Hille Watson Houli
INT: Ryder Winderlich Melksham Colyer

FB: McVeigh Hurley T.Slattery
HB: Fletcher Hooker Pears
C: Zaharakis Watson Melksham
HF: Lovett-Murray Gumbleton Jetta
FF: Davey Ryder Monfries
R: Hille Howlett Winderlich
INT: Stanton, Hocking, Bellchambers, Colyer

Backline: Is tall however, Fletcher and Pears have good pace and can play on smaller opponents if need be, they are also IMO, our best rebounding options. Hocking and Lovett-Murray can rotate through if required, but would prefer to see this back six remain settled.

Midfield: Watson and Howlett extracting the ball for runners Winderlich, Zaharakis and Melksham. These guys all make good decisions and are all better kicks than most of the list. Stanton, Jetta, Colyer rotate through as runners, Hocking, Lovett-Murray as extractors.

Forwardline: IMO Ryder is our best available option at full forward, and should stay their permanently. Ryder and Gumbleton as the very tall marking options, with Lovett-Murray and Monfries the mid size marking/crumbing options and Davey and Jetta crumbing could be a very potent forward line.

Interchange: Bellchambers is selected only because he is the best available back up ruckman, would love a better option but sadly their is none on the list.

B: T Slattery - Hurley - Fletcher
HB: Pears - Hooker - Hocking
C: Stanton - Watson - Dempsey
HF: Monfries - Gumbleton - Davey
F: Carlisle - M Williams - Hardingham
R: Ryder - Myers - Zaharakis
I: Hille - Colyer - Jetta - Howlett

E: Reimers - Prismall - Winderlich

B: Fletcher Pears McVeigh
HB: Houli Hooker Stanton
C: Jetta Watson Dempsey
HF: Zaharakis Gumbleton Monfries
F: M.Williams Hurley Davey
R: Hille Winderlich Colyer
INT: Melksham Ryder Hocking Howlett

Emg: Myers, Prismall, Carlisle/Hardingham

Was tempted to do this without Fletch & possibly McVeigh, but I guess we're only talking 2011, not beyond.

I think Hurls has looked better down back, but can't justify a) putting all 4 talls down back; and b) including Neagle, Ryder, Hardingham or Carlisile (yet) at FF. Therefore Hurley to FF with a fully fit Willow also providing a stay at home option from the pocket.

Dempsey must be moved out of defence, but still must be in the team, preferably on a wing
Stanton should move to Dempsey's HBF
Jetta needs to be played in midfield

Guys like Zaka, Jet, Melk, Howlett to swap through midfield (and Myers when in).

Has Fletch signed? I would like to see him go out before his body gives way (unlikely as it seems), or as "Tre" (? can't really remember) said, he needs to move aside a little to let the backline develop, or we will remain stagnant in our developement. The others must become more accountable and less reliant on a veteren.

Pears - Hurley - H. Slattery
Reimers - Hooker - Hardingham
Zaharakis - Watson - Winderlich
Monfries - Gumbleton - Hocking
Williams - Carlisle - Ryder
Hille - Jetta - Howlett
Colyer - Melksham - OPEN - Myers

Emg. Bellchambers (Ruck), Neagle (Key), McVeigh (Utility)

FRINGE: A. Long - Prismall - Lovett-Murray - Welsh - Dempsey - Fletcher
Stanton - Not Signed, don't know what's going on or where i'd play him anyway.

We have Anthony Long who is a back flanker, and we are also going to have a good young Mid (hopefully) after the Draft. I'd like to think the new coach will see the importance of developing our list, and sticking with a youth policy. I do think Hille should be the only Veteran aged player who should be guaranteed his spot, with all fit young, performing players to be played above our Fringe players if needed

For the record, I think Davey will be delisted or traded. And Dyson is gone. I also think Houli will go. I think Stanton will stay and he too would be fighting for an open spot. Youth, youth, youth. Our Mid-tier isn't good enough, and I don't want to be repeating myself in 3 years time, again.

Remember this is just my view :)

FLETCHER - PEARS - WELSH
STANTON - HURLEY - MYERS
DEMPSEY - WATSON - HOULI
MONFRIES - GUMBY - ZAHARAKIS
DAVEY - RYDER - CARLISLE/colyer

HILLE - PRISMALL - JETTA

HOCKING - MELKSHEM - L-MURRAY
HOWLETT

EMG: REIMERS, HARDINGHAM, H.SLATTERY

I belive Welsh was better as an defender

Defence:

KPD:
FB: Hooker - Good agility, good overhead and a decent spoiler, Hooker is made for the FB position - he is our version of Zac Dawson, questionable decision making

CHB: Hurley - Doesn't have the agility of Pears/Hooker but his football nous is A+, excellent spoiler, reads the play brilliantly and is an A+ kick with both feet - needs to add size as his reported weight of 89kg is far too light for a key defensive post - needs to be around the 92 - 94kg mark.

Flankers/Pockets:Fletcher: Star defender, need to create mismatch with opposition weakest forward.

Pears: Could be used as a KPD but I'd rather see Tayte as a flanker, think a more stronger, tougher, accountable, skilled version of Dempsey. Decision making is excellent, neat footskills, excellent agility and good strength - Sean Wellman reborn.

McVeigh: Designated shut down small defender - good negative ability mixed with good thrust going forward, neat skills and decent overhead.

Hardingham: Good aerial ability, kicking is a little suspect

Hocking: Will not take an opponent as such but will be used as a defensive sweeper as we saw in the first half of the season with great effect - Good toughness, kicking skills are solid and looks to me that he reads the play well in the back half.

B: Dustin Fletcher - Tayte Pears – Henry Slattery
HB: Mark McVeigh – Cale Hooker – Brent Stanton
C: Courtney Dempsey – Jobe Watson – David Zahrakis
HF: Angus Monfries – Michael Hurley – Scott Gumbleton
FF: Alwyn Davey – Jay Neagle – Kyle Hardingham
R: Patrick Ryder – Ben Howlett – David Myers
I/C: David Hille – Leroy Jetta – Jason Winderlich – Bach Houli​
Emerg: Travis Colyer – Jake Melksham – Brent Prismall – Andrew Welsh – Nathan Lovett-Murray – Kyle Reimers – Jake Carsile – Heath Hocking – Tom Bellchambers

Back-Line

Dustin Fletcher – Top defender who can play tall, medium and small.

Tayte Pears – I like him as a full back because he strong, fast, smart and sets up play. If Hurley doesn’t work well up forward, I would put Pears across the half back-line where he can play the Wellman role.

Henry Slattery – He has limited ability, but it showed how important he was when he was out of the side. He is much better than any other player at shutting down opposition forwards and should remain in the team until someone does the job better than he does.

Mark McVeigh – Another who is brilliant at shutting down small forwards. He also can set up play off the half back.

Cale Hooker – Works his ass off and generally does a good job. I like him.

Brent Stanton – Looked good in the back-line nearing the end of the season. Don’t see a spot in the midfield for him.

Midfield

Patrick Ryder – Our best tap ruckman. He still hasn’t taken that extra step yet.

Ben Howlett – Deserves his spot in the team. Has helped Jobe out heaps.

David Myers- Strong and hard. Let him play where he belongs. Has a thumping kick which will suit our contested marking forwards.

Courtney Dempsey – Let him play in a position that suits his abilities. Perfect replacement for Lovett

Watson- Our best player, continually gets the job done.

David Zaharakis – A goal kicking midfielder with superb disposal. Should be played on the wing similar to how Leigh Montagna does at St. Kilda.

Forward-Line

Angus Monfries – Our leading goal kicker. He has the ability, but is very inconsistent. Falls to ground too often, but has too much talent to leave out of the side.

Michael Hurley – I believe that this will be the perfect position for him. I don’t like him deep where he has no space to work in. CHF allows him to roam free and present as a target and use his precise kicking ability when delivering into the forward 50.

Scott Gumbleton – Presents to the wing well and should continue to do so. Needs to bulk up considerably in the off-season.

Alwyn Davey - Our best defensive forward. He had a good year after being dropped earlier in the season. He needs to kick more goals.

Jay Neagle – His ability has never been a question. He definitely has it. I believe he will strive under a new coach. Hopefully he will finally get a full pre-season under his belt which will help him immensely.

Kyle Hardingham – X-factor written all over him. Provides another marking target up forward. He also gives us versatility as he can go back if needed to.

Bench

David Hille – Superb ruckman who can go up forward. Terrific footballer.

Leroy Jetta – I will be pissed off if he leaves. Will be a very good midfielder for us. He has proved to have ball winning ability, reasonable skill and good pace. He is a keeper.

Jason Winderlich – Rumours are that he is off to St. Kilda, but he is a pivotal member of our side. Breaks the lines and is a good user of the ball.

Bachar Houli – I believe he is a very good footballer who is another who will strive under a new coach. Is the best kick on the list which is something that we lack. Can play anywhere on the ground, and I believe his strengths outweigh his flaws.

Emergencies:

Unfortunately I was unable to include Colyer and Melksham in the side, but I don’t think that this will effect them. Obviously they will get their chance in the side so it isn’t a problem. Hopefully they spend this pre-season in the gym. Super talents. Prismall, NLM and Welsh are depth players imo. They just don’t have enough strings under their belt to cement a spot in the best 22. They have been overtaken. Reimers, I want to see him start off in VFL. Certainly does not deserve to start in round 1 after some terrible performances late in the season. He also will get his chance. Carsile is going to be a player and should come into the side if Neagle isn’t performing. He has incredible hands but is another who needs to spend his pre-season in the gym. Bellchambers is a good back up who looked the goods when he came into the side. I really like Hocking and really wanted him in the side. But if he isn’t in the midfield, then he shouldn’t be in the team. He is not a defender and was beaten whenever played as one. He is a good midfielder and I wouldn’t mind if he starts in round one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Dustin Fletcher - Tayte Pears – Henry Slattery
HB: Mark McVeigh – Cale Hooker – Brent Stanton
C: Courtney Dempsey – Jobe Watson – David Zahrakis
HF: Angus Monfries – Michael Hurley – Scott Gumbleton
FF: Alwyn Davey – Jay Neagle – Kyle Hardingham
R: Patrick Ryder – Ben Howlett – David Myers
I/C: David Hille – Leroy Jetta – Jason Winderlich – Bach Houli​
Emerg: Travis Colyer – Jake Melksham – Brent Prismall – Andrew Welsh – Nathan Lovett-Murray – Kyle Reimers – Jake Carsile – Heath Hocking – Tom Bellchambers

Back-Line

Dustin Fletcher – Top defender who can play tall, medium and small.

Tayte Pears – I like him as a full back because he strong, fast, smart and sets up play. If Hurley doesn’t work well up forward, I would put Pears across the half back-line where he can play the Wellman role.

Henry Slattery – He has limited ability, but it showed how important he was when he was out of the side. He is much better than any other player at shutting down opposition forwards and should remain in the team until someone does the job better than he does.

Mark McVeigh – Another who is brilliant at shutting down small forwards. He also can set up play off the half back.

Cale Hooker – Works his ass off and generally does a good job. I like him.

Brent Stanton – Looked good in the back-line nearing the end of the season. Don’t see a spot in the midfield for him.

Midfield

Patrick Ryder – Our best tap ruckman. He still hasn’t taken that extra step yet.

Ben Howlett – Deserves his spot in the team. Has helped Jobe out heaps.

David Myers- Strong and hard. Let him play where he belongs. Has a thumping kick which will suit our contested marking forwards.

Courtney Dempsey – Let him play in a position that suits his abilities. Perfect replacement for Lovett

Watson- Our best player, continually gets the job done.

David Zaharakis – A goal kicking midfielder with superb disposal. Should be played on the wing similar to how Leigh Montagna does at St. Kilda.

Forward-Line

Angus Monfries – Our leading goal kicker. He has the ability, but is very inconsistent. Falls to ground too often, but has too much talent to leave out of the side.

Michael Hurley – I believe that this will be the perfect position for him. I don’t like him deep where he has no space to work in. CHF allows him to roam free and present as a target and use his precise kicking ability when delivering into the forward 50.

Scott Gumbleton – Presents to the wing well and should continue to do so. Needs to bulk up considerably in the off-season.

Alwyn Davey - Our best defensive forward. He had a good year after being dropped earlier in the season. He needs to kick more goals.

Jay Neagle – His ability has never been a question. He definitely has it. I believe he will strive under a new coach. Hopefully he will finally get a full pre-season under his belt which will help him immensely.

Kyle Hardingham – X-factor written all over him. Provides another marking target up forward. He also gives us versatility as he can go back if needed to.

Bench

David Hille – Superb ruckman who can go up forward. Terrific footballer.

Leroy Jetta – I will be pissed off if he leaves. Will be a very good midfielder for us. He has proved to have ball winning ability, reasonable skill and good pace. He is a keeper.

Jason Winderlich – Rumours are that he is off to St. Kilda, but he is a pivotal member of our side. Breaks the lines and is a good user of the ball.

Bachar Houli – I believe he is a very good footballer who is another who will strive under a new coach. Is the best kick on the list which is something that we lack. Can play anywhere on the ground, and I believe his strengths outweigh his flaws.

Emergencies:

Unfortunately I was unable to include Colyer and Melksham in the side, but I don’t think that this will effect them. Obviously they will get their chance in the side so it isn’t a problem. Hopefully they spend this pre-season in the gym. Super talents. Prismall, NLM and Welsh are depth players imo. They just don’t have enough strings under their belt to cement a spot in the best 22. They have been overtaken. Reimers, I want to see him start off in VFL. Certainly does not deserve to start in round 1 after some terrible performances late in the season. He also will get his chance. Carsile is going to be a player and should come into the side if Neagle isn’t performing. He has incredible hands but is another who needs to spend his pre-season in the gym. Bellchambers is a good back up who looked the goods when he came into the side. I really like Hocking and really wanted him in the side. But if he isn’t in the midfield, then he shouldn’t be in the team. He is not a defender and was beaten whenever played as one. He is a good midfielder and I wouldn’t mind if he starts in round one.

Great post
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Agreed but I think M.Williams should be in the side if he's fit, his accuracy and experience would be very useful.

B: H. Slattery / T. Pears / C. Hooker
HB: H. Hocking / M. Hurley / D. Myers
C: C. Dempsey / J. Watson / L. Jetta
HF: D. Zaharakis / J. Carlisle / A. Davey
F: P. Ryder / S. Gumbleton / A. Monfries
FOLL: D. Hille / B. Stanton / B. Howlett
BCH: J. Winderlich / D. Fletcher / M. McVeigh / B. Prismall
EMG: T. Bellchambers / T. Colyer / J. Melksham / A. Welsh

Going into round 1 with the more senior bodies of McVeigh & Prismall on the bench who do not get pushed off the ball easily. Was thinking of starting Colyer and/or Melksham, but it'd be better for their confidence to start dominating at VFL and then come in that way. Laycock, Dyson, Atkinson, Marigliani, Lonergan, Houli & M.Williams are in trouble IMO and should be delisted (or Houli traded if we can get a late third / early fourth rounder for him).

Still, T. Slattery, A. Long, J. Neagle, K. Reimers & K. Hardingham will need to show some awesome form in the VFL to get a look in and will be given a little more time to come good at reserves level. Like the looks of the three talls at either end of the ground, with Jetta, Dempsey & Winderlich burning up the wings. Have Watson & Howlett both in the centre for their toughness. Either ruckmen going forward when resting would be ideal. Fletcher pinch hitting off the bench, being a tall utility at either end of the ground would be good also. Looks about right I think.

Any side with out M Williams can't be taken seriously - if fit he's an automatic selection.

B: McVeigh - Hooker - Fletcher
HB: Pears - Hurley - Dempsey
C: Winders - Watson - Zaharakis
HF: Davey - Gumbleton - Monfries
FF: Ryder - M Williams - ????
R: Hille - Jetta - Welsh
INT: Myers - Howlett - Stanton - ????
EMG: Hocking - Houli - Colyer

??? Two spots up for grabs in my 22 - I want to put Reimers in the FP, on talent he should be there but he needs a rocket, otherwise he'll just become another waste of talent.

??? As for the final interchange spot - I'm giving it to Prismall (barely) - Unless Colyer or Melk improve their endurance and size significantly over the pre-season, I'd rather Pris his experience and ball winning ability.

I think our defence is pretty much settled - Hurley, Fletch, Pears and Hooker whilst all talls are a good mix as they are very versatile (can play on talls and smalls) and the first three have fantastic skills and decision making.

The midfield (inc rotations) is where most of the spots are up for grabs - Stanton, Winderlich, Watson, Zaharakis and Hille are my locks and the remaining spots will be fought with by the likes of Myers, Houli, Prismall, Colyer, Melksham, NLM, Longergan et al

Forward line is similar to the backline (RE: # of spots up for grabs) - Davey, Gumbleton, Monfries, Ryder (swapping with Hille) and M Williams are locks with the last forward position to be fought with Lonergan, Reimers, Hardingham.

The above side contains 7 talls which I believe is the ideal amount for our side, too many times this season we've gone in with too few talls and it has hurt us structually.

So, plenty of competition for spots which is great but we're still unsure on what our "22" is as players are still so raw - 2011 will make or break a few careers I think.

Any side with out M Williams can't be taken seriously - if fit he's an automatic selection.

I think sides most certainly can be taken seriously that do not have Williams in their 22. He played 4 games for the EssendonFC in 2010, so don't think that warrants instant selection for season 2011. What he did two years ago is exactly that; years ago now. Don't think he'll reach anywhere near those heights ever again. If he shows great form in the preseason matches than yes, by all means; select him. But if he plays average matches and doesn't work both ways, than not selecting him come round 1 next year would be the better move for the club overall. If he doesn't get fired up playing reserves, he can move on and find a different job. Simple as that.

That's a yes, because he was in everyone's team.

If you say so, must have a pretty good memory there.

Can't see what the difference is for Williams, except that he's proven at AFL level, and Gumby wasn't.

Difference is Gumby was an uknown quantity, we needed to find out if the kid could play at AFL level and either ditch plans with him in it / or build plans around Scott. He's a KPP and vitally important to the club's plans.

Williams isn't a KPP, tall marking option. He isn't classified though as a small forward either, because he isn't above average in the speed department. He is 27, played 4 games in 2010 and 13 games for Hawthorn in 2009. A total of 17 games in two seasons, plus the added setback of undergoing ankle surgery. Don't think, considering the facts; he is an automatic selection in 2011. Others may think differently, but that's my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back