Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Paps I think will always be suited to a lead up type forward, he isnt a goal kicker or contested marker, so he is wasted inside 50. i would like to see him pushing forward hard to try get on the scoreboard more, but if he is playing a wing position, he might be limited in doing that by our defensive structures.

In my opinion the hardest part of our team is the balance or youth and experience. Young teams don't win which we have seen with Gold Coast and GWS. They have more raw talent then any teams ever probably but you can not buy the experience and strength that comes with age and games experience.

I would think Ash, Raines Maloney and Bewick would be stopping young stars developing but we will need their experience. To me it seems that the experience in the team is not as talented as the young players from the last draft and on our list. Yet talent doesn't win games experience does. Experience is age as much as games.

Our youngest team has the talent to win the whole thing but just can't yet and our experienced team can not win the whole thing but can win games. We are unbalanced and it will take time and trading to fix this.

Is it just me, or is Ryan Lester like a younger version of Brent Staker? That tall utility who can play forward/defense/midfield.

Was really impressed with Lester's preseason form. Looks like he's bulked up a fair bit too over the summer break. :thumbsu:

Is it just me, or is Ryan Lester like a younger version of Brent Staker? That tall utility who can play forward/defense/midfield.

Was really impressed with Lester's preseason form. Looks like he's bulked up a fair bit too over the summer break. :thumbsu:

I think he's a bit more of an inside player, WWSD, not so much the back/forward/KP. He's definitely got something, and he's gotten there through hard work and a few setbacks.

Stakes is a bit more of a bookend / wing dude.

Staker?

He is our emerging Josh Kennedy and you can just keep your hands off him.:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although he doesn't have the same level of class/ skill he actually remind me of... M Voss. There i said it.

A big bodied mid, able and willing to impose himself inside.

Ryan Lester reminds me of Scipio Africanus, the Roman general who conquered Carthage.

And this is why I love the Lions board! I shall go and consult the experts* at Wikipedia to learn more.

* Disclaimer: Experts may have no expertise.

"According to Valerius Maximus, Scipio had a dalliance circa 191 BC with one of his own serving girls, which his wife magnanimously overlooked."

That is magnanimous!

Last edited:
Ryan Lester reminds me of Scipio Africanus, the Roman general who conquered Carthage.
Your thinking of Garry Abblett

scipio.gif
cuba-gooding.jpg

Anyone willing to entertain the idea of Merrett as a forward?

His ideal spot is down back, but compared to our other available tall targets ... ?

Are we better stocked for KP defenders?

Anyone willing to entertain the idea of Merrett as a forward?

His ideal spot is down back, but compared to our other available tall targets ... ?

Are we better stocked for KP defenders?

Nah, we need him for the Franklins and Clokes.
TBH, l dont think he is a great forward anyway, he gets good hauls against low teams like GWS but to often he goes missing for most of the game as a forward or doesnt kick any.
He might be able to swing forward on occasion but not for the whole game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back