Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

To me it looks like the forward line may be thrown around a bit until the likes of Brown, Staker, McGuane, McGrath are off the injury list and really fit yo play
To me that brings in a Lisle, Close and Paparone etc
Like I said before I reckon there is a lot of work to be gone there and I'm not real sure it's an easy fix.
Moving Merrett up forward is an option but not sure if a good one, who then fills his space. Yes we need to score but who will then take our oppositions best forward?
We need Brown, Staker, McGrath and McGuane fit and firing as without them I really think any moving or shuffling around of other players whilst it must be done is really only robbing Peter to pay Paul!!

We definitely need those guys up and running. Paparone and Close are probably a little underdeveloped and Lisle has had a lot of chances to show what he can do, having only really had about 3 good games.

Merrett played heaps of last year up forward and was quite serviceable. He's just such a good FB.

The question, for me, comes down to where do we have the best depth - forward or back? If Rog goes forward, the person filling his place has to be better in their position than someone like Close/Paparone is up front.

Where is Paine - he'd have to be a while off with game-time and fitness wouldn't he?

At this rate, I'd say we'll take the field in round 1 with Paparone and Close up front with Merrett down back.

Brown will get a chance to play himself into form in the firsts and I would like to see Close get a run. Looks like Lisle could get his stay of execution though. Paine needs some more time after his limited pre-season.

What if we go small, since our talls are not of great quality with the number of outs. Maybe even try to isolate Rocky one on one at ff.

Push Close and Paps up the ground, rotate West/Leuy in as tall options.

Seems like Lisle is going to fumble his way into our team starting team...

What if we go small, since our talls are not of great quality with the number of outs. Maybe even try to isolate Rocky one on one at ff.

Push Close and Paps up the ground, rotate West/Leuy in as tall options.
Why would you rob our best midfielder and put him as a forward. You saw what happened to him last year when he was in the forardline, he was sh*t.

Rather than playing Merrett at FF to cover for missing Brown, or filling in with pansy Lisle, I'm all for putting Goosey in there....
FF: Green, Maguire (Brown), Zorko
HF: Mayes, Close (McGuane), Paperone (Staker)
C: Redden, Rich, Rockliff
HB: Patful, Clarke, Adcock
FB: Harwood, Merrett, Golby
Foll: Leuenberger, Moloney, Raines (Beams)
Sub: Lester (McGrath)
Plant Goose in the goal square a la Browny. He'd love it and he'd bring some experience in.

Honestly, Brown is still the only player in our team who I can see kicking a bag more than once or twice this year if fit enough. Guys like McGuane, Green or Staker might kick 3, but that's about their limit.
You can't expect to do well with a forward line featuring 0 players with proven capability to kick 30+ goals in a season.
Or Ash.... ? That's why I'd have him in when fit

Rather than playing Merrett at FF to cover for missing Brown, or filling in with pansy Lisle, I'm all for putting Goosey in there....
FF: Green, Maguire (Brown), Zorko
HF: Mayes, Close (McGuane), Paperone (Staker)
C: Redden, Rich, Rockliff
HB: Patful, Clarke, Adcock
FB: Harwood, Merrett, Golby
Foll: Leuenberger, Moloney, Raines (Beams)
Sub: Lester (McGrath)
Plant Goose in the goal square a la Browny. He'd love it and he'd bring some experience in.
And do absolutly nothing for the entire game. Slow, not going to outmark the opposing teams best defender and the fact that he hasn't trained up forward means that the coach isnt thinking about putting him there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And do absolutly nothing for the entire game. Slow, not going to outmark the opposing teams best defender and the fact that he hasn't trained up forward means that the coach isnt thinking about putting him there.
He'd be ok. Better than Lisle?

Yeah for sure, bur maybe only til mcguane back? Could potentially usurp Maguire for browns goal square gig
I would like to see close hold his spot even wjen mcguane returns. I think if he is given a good run of games he will blossom. I have 50x more confidence in close than I do in lisle

Yeah me too. I also have more faith in Maguire than lisle. So if brown and mcguane are out, I say give goosey a go. If it don't work he can go back for merrett

Didn't Maguire play forward in the reserves on Saturday? It sure would be an insult to Lisle, putting the 30yo reserves full back into the forward line instead of him, in what should be the prime of Lisle's career. FWIW I'd play Lisle at FF. He has played his best games without Brown there and I reckon there's a small chance we'll see some promise from him.

Why would you rob our best midfielder and put him as a forward. You saw what happened to him last year when he was in the forardline, he was sh*t.
Mate I totally agree Rocky is our link man , he is the guy that gets to the competition and relays the ball on.
Take him out of their and our midfield setup suffers ,
so there is our dilemmer, what part of the ground do we play with the less expertese .
Id rather see us with a sturdy defense and a quality midfield hopefully going forward and giving the best quality service that we can give, to Lisle or Close ,resting ruck or whoever the talls we go with.

We had the same problem and I dont think we gained anything by using Sauce up front, we had the perfect chance to test the forwards and give them a decent run on the paddock.

LETS FIND OUT FOR ONCE AND FOR ALL if they are keepers or not then at least we will know.
For what it's worth didn't Lilse go well last year when Brown wasn't there. I thought he finished last year well but as we all have seen so far this year (although only preseason) hasn't looked the goods.
With all our talls out Bewick has got to be a show. Leuy and West will also rotate through there dont forget.
Hope this post is quicker to read than it was for me to post.

Mate I totally agree Rocky is our link man , he is the guy that gets to the competition and relays the ball on.
Take him out of their and our midfield setup suffers ,
so there is our dilemmer, what part of the ground do we play with the less expertese .
Id rather see us with a sturdy defense and a quality midfield hopefully going forward and giving the best quality service that we can give, to Lisle or Close ,resting ruck or whoever the talls we go with.

We had the same problem and I dont think we gained anything by using Sauce up front, we had the perfect chance to test the forwards and give them a decent run on the paddock.

LETS FIND OUT FOR ONCE AND FOR ALL if they are keepers or not then at least we will know.
For what it's worth didn't Lilse go well last year when Brown wasn't there. I thought he finished last year well but as we all have seen so far this year (although only preseason) hasn't looked the goods.
With all our talls out Bewick has got to be a show. Leuy and West will also rotate through there dont forget.
Hope this post is quicker to read than it was for me to post.
Yeah, l am exactly the same. While Merret proided a presence up forward, l felt like we needed to test our future forwards. For me, l think it should be Close/Lisle with Browny taking the best defender. If Close or Lisle picks the best defender, l doubt they will get goal.

Btw, as l wasn't concentrating very well, it took me quite a while to read.

I really am impressed with Close. For a second year KPF I think he has shown a lot. He has the right build and tank to play out the game and his attack on the footy is really impressive. What I have liked the most is his second and 3rd efforts as well as his attempts to apply defensive pressure. I reckon throw him in there for as long as we can he is our future gun KPF and the more time he has to develop in the seniors the better.

I am all for Close getting a start and having some games under his belt. Of the younger tall forward prospects he is the one I think has the chance to develop into something more than serviceable. Freeman is the other but he is obviously a long way off. Lisle is shaping up as this year's Ace - lots of chances, seems to have all the ingredients but just not putting it all together at this level and not really making his presence felt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back