Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't Maguire play forward in the reserves on Saturday? It sure would be an insult to Lisle, putting the 30yo reserves full back into the forward line instead of him, in what should be the prime of Lisle's career.
When the ressies were signing stuff after the game we went up to Goose and asked him what was going on. He said that Leppa had been training him in the forwardline and to quote "I'm gonna have to figure out how to kick a goal before I can get a game in the seniors I reckon." He seemed pretty good-natured about it but at the same time I found it odd considering what a conga-line of fringe tall forwards we already have.

Again though from how he was talking to everyone "it'll be a while, I've gotta learn to kick goals" I'd imagine Moose > Goose at this stage still.

How many teams have played with 3 players that are 177cm and shorter? Will be fun watching Taylor, Zorko and Green in the same team. We will have our own little oompa loompa squad:cool:

On another note, does anyone else have worries about Lester's kicking when playing as a pure midfielder? He isn't bad at getting the ball, but I noticed last year and even over the preseason that he wasn't the greatest at hitting his target. Or are there some good kicks in between that I have been missing?

On another note, does anyone else have worries about Lester's kicking when playing as a pure midfielder? He isn't bad at getting the ball, but I noticed last year and even over the preseason that he wasn't the greatest at hitting his target. Or are there some good kicks in between that I have been missing?

I thought his kicking was pretty good for an inside mid.

I wish I could remember the game, but there was one moment when he spotted up Black in the forward 50 with a beautifully weighted pass. Anyone remember any more details?

How many teams have played with 3 players that are 177cm and shorter? Will be fun watching Taylor, Zorko and Green in the same team. We will have our own little oompa loompa squad:cool:

Some of the best inside mids in the comp have much worse disposal than him, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I think he is pretty tidy with his kicking without being exceptional. In saying that he doesnt try to be fancy with his kicks either. I do recall that pass to Black that TomFC is thinking of, but cant think of the game either.

I think Lester started coming into his own a bit towards the end of last year, just started to really get some confidence. Im hoping he can have a really solid year. He is the star of our 2nd string mids.

?

Bring on the tanning tablets and green hair dye.

At times it's a little shonky. I think he'll eventually get better. Just a matter of when.

Easily our second best clearance/contested ball winner behind Moloney.

really interested to see what the forward line setup is gonna be. I really think Close is the future and should be given as many games as possible.

Personally, I think Close has shown a fair bit. Especially considering he missed most of his draft year and a few games the year before(If I remember correctly). I personally will not say I think he is the future of our forward line just yet. I'm still treating our need of a good tall forward as the top priority at this years trade period and draft. Can't really afford to wait much longer than the end of this year.

With that said, I don't want to play him as our #1 target up forward yet.

Personally, I think Close has shown a fair bit. Especially considering he missed most of his draft year and a few games the year before(If I remember correctly). I personally will not say I think he is the future of our forward line just yet. I'm still treating our need of a good tall forward as the top priority at this years trade period and draft. Can't really afford to wait much longer than the end of this year.

With that said, I don't want to play him as our #1 target up forward yet.

Let him play a game first

Merrett should stay back, we need to find out which of our fringe forwards is going to take the next step. Even if we lose games because of it at least by years end we'll know which one/ones to keep.

A side thought not really relevant but I think Beams might get another year due to the age gap the go home five has created. I think he will be a star once he gets over his bad run of injuries and i am hoping to see him in the best 22 by the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A side thought not really relevant but I think Beams might get another year due to the age gap the go home five has created. I think he will be a star once he gets over his bad run of injuries and i am hoping to see him in the best 22 by the end of the year.
if he gets delisted, then that is ridiculous. He will be a star once he gets rid of his injuries. I rekin if Beams was ick #5 (like Polec) we wouldnt delist him.

I would just like to thank all of those responsible for my mind now looping the various verses of the oompa loompa songs ... :(

Alright, l know you guys have been waiting for my best 22 for this week so l have given in to you. This is for week 1.

FB: Merret, Patful, Golby
HB: Harwood, Clarke, Adcock
C: Mayes, Rich, Aish
HF: Zorko, Close, McGuane
FF: Green, Brown, West
Int: Redden, Lester, Hanley
Foll: Leuenberger, Moloney, Rocky
Sub: Paps

I think he is pretty tidy with his kicking without being exceptional. In saying that he doesnt try to be fancy with his kicks either. I do recall that pass to Black that TomFC is thinking of, but cant think of the game either.

I think Lester started coming into his own a bit towards the end of last year, just started to really get some confidence. Im hoping he can have a really solid year. He is the star of our 2nd string mids.

As an inside mid he probably needs a good handball rather than a precise kick.

A tad disappointed, but we only thought he was available again in the last few days.

Excited to see them play, but I've got to remember not to expect too much from Close on debut (if he does)

reckon if Paparone bulks up he could model his game off Nick Reiwoldt? Aren't they similar height

With all due respect to Whiting, where has he been? It was common knowledge that McGuane had a knee injury, the only issue being whether he would come up for round 1 which he apparently hasn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back