Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I just read that too here is what he said,

"For anyone that wants to know, I'm pretty happy to stay up here. I'm loving life in Brisbane," Mayes says with a big grin.
"The boys have welcomed and embraced me very well. I'm sure the other first year boys can back me up on that. It feels like a family up here and I feel pretty at home.

As a Lions fan/member how good does that make you feel :)

His rooming with a few of the other good young players so maybe his passion and his like/love for the club will rub off on all of them too.

Beams would have to be knocking on the door of top 22.

It's going to be very intriguing how they set up the forward line next year.

I think we may play tall. The swans will be and I think if we can play Lilse/Paine and west brown staker that will be great. And I mean Zorko and green rotating mids and forward with say Rockliff I think we will have enou defensive pressure. Can't wait for 2014 bring on this tough draw.

I think we may play tall. The swans will be and I think if we can play Lilse/Paine and west brown staker that will be great. And I mean Zorko and green rotating mids and forward with say Rockliff I think we will have enou defensive pressure. Can't wait for 2014 bring on this tough draw.

Can't say I'd be a fan of that. Lisle, Paine and Brown are all relativity poor defensively and not that fast/athletic in some cases.

You could see a Brown, West, Staker and McGuane set up possibly. I get the feeling we will look to play the 2 ruckmen. Could also depend on where Leppa sees Merrett playing.

I like the sound of a McGuane, Brown and Staker forward line along side the smalls. McGuane as a defender no thanks, but up forward he provides real pressure and adds a good marking option. Not without deficiencies but i can't wait to see what he can add to the line up.

Given the comparative strengths and weaknesses of our set of tall forwards I think that three is about our limit, unless one of them is very mobile and agile. I think four talls puts too much pressure on our defence in our forward half.

Given the comparative strengths and weaknesses of our set of tall forwards I think that three is about our limit, unless one of them is very mobile and agile. I think four talls puts too much pressure on our defence in our forward half.

Depends on what we do with West and Luey to i guess. Like i said intriguing. Can't wait.

Leppa wants to play two ruckmen, so I consider Staker, Brown and West/Martin close to being locks for round 1. Now would we really get Paine, McGuane and possibly McCarthy in the one off-season so we can play them in the reserves, alongside Close, Lisle and Paperone? That would be ridiculous. One of those will surely be lining up for round 1, giving us four talls in the forward line. I'm therefore very concerned about our defensive pressure.

Leppa wants to play two ruckmen, so I consider Staker, Brown and West/Martin close to being locks for round 1. Now would we really get Paine, McGuane and possibly McCarthy in the one off-season so we can play them in the reserves, alongside Close, Lisle and Paperone? That would be ridiculous. One of those will surely be lining up for round 1, giving us four talls in the forward line. I'm therefore very concerned about our defensive pressure.
I would think both of Paine and McCarthy would miss out, so as you say, just 1 in McGuane likely for round 1. Stakes is a genuine swing man and is most likely to be moved out of the forward line. McGuane too is a serviceable backman and is not guaranteed to play forward.
It's a shame really and the first time I am questioning Brown's position in the side ( not place in the side, as I would want him in at all costs). Stakes has been as, if not more reliable kicking from 50ish, so it would be a shame to move him.
I think we can expect to see some of our tall forward prospects playing down back or just simply miss out altogether.
We can look at a team like Hawthorn, who seemingly had the best forward in Franklin only to be outdone by Roughy, and be excited about the not too distant future.

I'm all for not playing 4 talls but I seriously think we need to give Paine or Lilse and even paparone a run before Mcguane. I mean they gotta earn there spot but next year when brown isn't there and Paine or Lilse is meant to fill his spot I'd rather them have another 20 games under their belt. They HAVE to earn their spot but I mean I'd like to see Paine and Lilse in the team round 1 and play Merret and stakes back. McGrath should go back to cover Yeo/Doherty. I know paines still green and prob won't be as good as we hope but they need better development than playing in the neafl.

I would think both of Paine and McCarthy would miss out, so as you say, just 1 in McGuane likely for round 1. Stakes is a genuine swing man and is most likely to be moved out of the forward line. McGuane too is a serviceable backman and is not guaranteed to play forward.
It's a shame really and the first time I am questioning Brown's position in the side ( not place in the side, as I would want him in at all costs). Stakes has been as, if not more reliable kicking from 50ish, so it would be a shame to move him.
I think we can expect to see some of our tall forward prospects playing down back or just simply miss out altogether.
We can look at a team like Hawthorn, who seemingly had the best forward in Franklin only to be outdone by Roughy, and be excited about the not too distant future.

I agree with you about Brownies position, but I'm also more concerned about his place. I think he was well beaten plenty of times last year, and sure he draws 1 or 2 defenders every time, but he's slow as a wet week, and I'd expect to see him honourably have the odd "rest" this coming season. Likewise Ash. Sure his last game was a cracker, but they are getting fewer and farther between, so more time on the pine for him too. Playing the young boys up back is vital to the teams development I reckon. Having swing hitters like Stakes and Patfull, and big Rog offers a great way to mix it up a bit. Players like Bradshaw, Pike, Possum and Bushy really gave the team immense flexibility and "depth" in our glory years, so the more guys with that utility ability the better. How many times did Bradshaw fill that CHF/CHB void? I'd like to see Patfull spend more time up forward too.

I am not sure the interchange cap will have that much impact. The cap is 120, not including changes at 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 time or the sub. This compares to an average of around 133 this year, so it is seems pretty similar to a large extent. Does anyone know the individual club averages?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-27/afl-brings-in-interchange-cap-

There may be some games where it is really hot where teams might be adversely impacted, but otherwise I don't see how it will have that much of an impact.

Sorry yeah it's starting out at 120 which isn't a hell of a lot considering doesn't count for sub and changes at breaks, but aren't they planning on reducing to 80 in the next few years? And thus teams are preparing for this and conditioning players too it? This was my thought\understanding\opinion on why Leppa was planning on playing 2 rucks.

It's always interesting musing over the make up of a team months out from game one. I too cant see a forward line containing 4 talls and worry about defensive pressure, which I think was one of our biggest weaknesses in 2013. Obviously Brown will take the power forward role when fit. I can see him being joined by West/Berger for large chunks of the game, with Maguane spending more time in the forward line as the 2nd/3rd tall than Staker.

But all that is in a perfect world where injuries do not exist. In reality Paine or Lislie, even both will get multiple games. I dont think we need to stress too much about Brown stifling anyones development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I don't think it's a bad thing that the last few years we've seen Brown down on form and slowed by age and injury. We know this will be his last and with him no longer dominating as he used to, the impact is lessened if he misses a week or few. I just really hope that he is fit and in form for the end of the season so he can go out playing well enough to remember how great he has been. It was quite scary this year when his foot blew out that his career might end weeks before the season finished. We want to be there for his last home game and know it's coming rather than find out after a game that we might have already seen it.

FB: Adcock, Merrett, Patfull
HB: Lester, Clarke, Golby
C: Hanley, Rockliff, Mayes
HF: Zorko, Brown, Paparone
FF: Green, West, McGrath
Fol: Leuenberger, Moloney, Rich
Int: Harwood, Beams, Redden, Staker
Polks, Raines, Paine, Weardon, Close, Banfield, Crisp, Martin, Freeman

Though a Scharenberg could force their way into this side immediately.

Went for Paparone because I think he will be very hard to match up on as the third tall and Staker as swing man. West to bring it to ground and rotate with Leue forward.

aish would have to be the most likely of the new recruits to be best 22 could be a good supersub or hopefully better

no point wasting him in the neafl getting 40+ possesions every week he would play there

aish would have to be the most likely of the new recruits to be best 22 could be a good supersub or hopefully better

no point wasting him in the neafl getting 40+ possesions every week he would play there

I think Aish, Taylor & Robertson will all get game time in 2014. Possibly Cutler too.

Adcock | Merrett | Patfull
Golby | Clarke | Robertson
Hanley | Harwood | Rich
Mayes | Brown | Aish
Green | West | Zorko
Luey | Moloney | Rockcliff

Interchange: Redden, Taylor, Beams, Staker.

Sub: McGrath

Players who will get games:
Mcguane, Goose, Lester, Paparone and Close.

I don't know why everyone has Beams in the best 22... he has been injured for pretty much 2 years running now and when he was on the park he wasn't really setting the world on fire. I'd have him as the 23-26 mark on the list when fit. I'd have Lester ahead of him that's for sure.

he was setting the world on fire in my opinion. He was looking awesome before injury

I don't know why everyone has Beams in the best 22... he has been injured for pretty much 2 years running now and when he was on the park he wasn't really setting the world on fire. I'd have him as the 23-26 mark on the list when fit. I'd have Lester ahead of him that's for sure.
He was looking very good in the games he played. I would definitely be pumping games into him when hes fit

love to see us line up like this round 1 pending fitness

Clarke - Merrett - Patful
Golby - Adcock - Harwood
Hanley - Rich - Redden
Zorko - Brown - Staker
Green - West - Taylor
Luey - Rockliff - Moloney

Mayes - Aish - Lester

Bewick

leaves Beams, McGrath, Polkinghorne, Maguire, McGuane, Close, Lisle, and others i'm missing

love to see us line up like this round 1 pending fitness

Clarke - Merrett - Patful
Golby - Adcock - Harwood
Hanley - Rich - Redden
Zorko - Brown - Staker
Green - West - Taylor
Luey - Rockliff - Moloney

Mayes - Aish - Lester

Bewick

leaves Beams, McGrath, Polkinghorne, Maguire, McGuane, Close, Lisle, and others i'm missing
Looks a strong side on paper doesn't it

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back