Forgive me. I am a newbie here.

Here is my best 22
B - Simon White, Michael Jamison, Sam Rowe
HB - Kristian Jaksch, Kade Simpson, Chris Yarran
C - Sam Docherty, Bryce Gibbs, Ed Curnow
HF - Troy Menzel, Liam Jones, Dale Thomas
F - Levi Casboult, Lachie Henderson, Tom Bell
R - Matthew Kreuzer, Chris Judd, Marc Murphy
(I) - Dylan Buckley, Andrew Walker, Andrejs Everitt, Andrew Carrazzo (SUB)
E - Ciaran Sheehan, Nick Graham, Matthew Watson

Never thought that it was this hard.

Reasons Why
SIMON WHITE - To be honest, I don't see Mick Malthouse looking past him despite what impact he has, and Malthouse does not usually do this.
MICHAEL JAMISON - Well given his experience in this position, there is no doubt. He is a definite starter.
SAM ROWE - The story of last year. Age don't matter, Rowe will keep this spot for the next few years.
KRISTIAN JAKSCH - From many pictures, he might not look bulked. But with game time, we will see him become bigger & better.
KADE SIMPSON - Need I say more. :D
CHRIS YARRAN - Now that Betts and Garlett are gone (forwards or not), seeing him on his own is great. Last year he proved he was worth it.
SAM DOCHERTY - Docherty was a good get. There are some flaws to his game style, but his passion to perform is there.
BRYCE GIBBS - John Nicholls Medalist of 2014. Der! ;)
ED CURNOW - Best tagger and certain starter. Many underestimate his capabilities on field. Underrated indeed. DE can be questioned. Other than that. :cool:
TROY MENZEL - Yet to become better and better. Felt bad that I doubted him. The way he kicks the ball excites me.
LIAM JONES - Give this bloke a chance. He might do wonders for this team. Just wait and see.
DALE THOMAS - He is getting better. I don't think at all it was a waste of money. He'll show some more this year.
LEVI CASBOULT - His kicking style has improved. But he tends to play better in patches. I'm sure we will see him playing better on a regular basis.
LACHIE HENDERSON - Our go-to man in terms of goal kicking. Losing Fevola did hurt but getting this guy made up for it (in my opinion).
TOM BELL - After that match against Gold Coast last year, I can't see why he shouldn't be in the team.
MATTHEW KREUZER - First ruckman. But if he struggles, we always have Wood as back-up.
CHRIS JUDD - Most likely his last year of football. Let him make the most of it and walk out in best way possible. :)
MARC MURPHY - Skipper. Leader. Somebody to lead the team out. He just needs to remember to work on his game as well (which I'm sure he does).
DYLAN BUCKLEY - The history says it all. This player still has much to learn, but his passion and will to give it his all is there.
ANDREW WALKER - Forward or back, he does his job. I just get that feeling that the club is losing him. He might retire eventually.
ANDREJS EVERITT - Another keeper. Before injuring his PCL, he was an awesome fit into the team. Does his job and does it well.
ANDREW CARRAZZO - Approaching his end. Taking pressure of him by making him sub. Bleeds blue, but don't know how much more he can give.

CIARAN SHEEHAN - Still needs more time in VFL. Sooner or later, we will see him with more to show.
NICK GRAHAM - Hard to fit him in, so he is a definite replacement for anyone in the team.
MATTHEW WATSON - I still see hope for him. The last game of 2014 became the reason why.

The Others
TUOHY was quite disappointing last year. If it was an injury, then I would understand. If he can get back in form like that of the 2013 season, he is in. But who he would replace is the question.
Another Malthouse likes in ELLARD, is questionable. I like him in the team, but his calf troubles are concerning.

Just because CRIPPS & BOEKHORST were Carlton's recent top draft picks, it does not mean that they are certain starters. Who knows, a pick 62 can be better than a pick 12. Where they sit in the draft doesn't matter. It is how they prove themselves in the preseason (and without a doubt, they are doing so). Last time I saw CRIPPS play, he was pretty ordinary. But I suppose game time comes with improvement. I'm sure they will become good for us in a matter of time. But at the moment there are quite a few ahead of them. With who is most likely to not see the following season (ARMFIELD, WARNOCK, GILES (unfortunate), FIELDS (judging from now) (unfortunate), JUDD, CARRAZZO, etc.) they are a good chance to become regulars in 2016.

As for the rest (ARMFIELD, GOWERS, FIELDS, HOLMAN, TUTT, SMITH, BYRNE, WARNOCK, JOHNSON, FOSTER, VIOJO-RAINBOW, WHILEY, WOOD, RUSSELL, DICK & WALSH), some will need to prove themselves, and others are always there when the team needs them.
You've had a great debut...Mine was WW1 all over again! Great post..

Using 3B's template I've decided to have a go at picking my best 22 for next year. Maybe some of my selections are a bit left field but I'll explain them below.

B: Kade Simpson, Michael Jamison, Dylan Buckley
Kristian Jaksch
HB: Andrew Walker, Sam Rowe, Simon White

C: Andrejs Everitt, Patrick Cripps, Chris Judd,

HF: Troy Menzel, Lachie Henderson, Sam Docherty
F: Liam Jones, Levi Casboult

RK: Matthew Kreuzer, Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy

INT: Mark Whiley,Dale Thomas , Chris Yarran SUB: as needed

Defensive Selections – Explained:
Upon reviewing our games from last year, it became appartent to me that our transition game and midfield turn overs were the two areas that needed to improve the most for us to become competitive with the top 4 teams. In my opinion while our defense is strong defensively they are poor at offense running and covering each other. Many of our "midfield" turnovers came about form the backline not carrying the ball and kicking shallowly to contested situations.

I am also a fan of a spare man in defense. While I think that it has limited use as a defensive ploy, I think that it works well as an offensive ploy to help with a teams transition game.

Kade, jamo, 1AW, Sam and Whitey pick them selves as our lock down defensive unit.

Jacksch: This is Jaksch 3rd season and reviewing his GWS games he looks to have all the attributes that you would expect form an offensive spare man in defense, good height, good run and carry, good speed and good disposal. Additionally he adds flexability to the side as he, Hendo, DOC, Andrejs and 1AW can all swap forward - back.

Buckley: In my opinion once young Buckley was injured last year, our run and carry took a significant hit. Probably because 1AW was also injured, but we just didn't have that explosiveness from the back half anymore. So bucks gets my nod for this role.

Rucks Selections – Explained:

Completely agree with 3B: Kruz, Gibba and Murph says it all

Midfield Selections – Explained:
All of these guys offer a difficult matchup for the opposition, Good disposal and fantastic skills, having targets like these while streaming out from defense will provide options top the defensive unit. Additionally all of them are good extractors of the ball.

Judd: Still too good to be left out of the midfield, but at this stage of his career I'd rather someone be handing the ball off to him that see him on the bottom of the pack everytime, so out to the wing he goes.

Andrejs: was great for us last year until he got injured, he provides a strong marking target, and is particurly hard to man up on in the midfield due to his exceptional tank.

Cripps: I saw a few NB games last year and honestly at times this guy was simply untouchable. I don't think that he has much to learn in the 2's and I think that he can provide some much needed grunt to the side. He is also very hard to matchup on and uses his height well to provide a marking option when needed.

Forward Selections – Explained:
Henderson: Our CHF. Enough said.

Jones: All reports are that he will be leading out of the goal square for the Blues in 2015. Needs to grab this second chance and provide defensive pressure or could find himself out of the team for Watson, White, or even Foster.

Casboult: Dangerous third tall with a high tank. Looks to have slimmed down and can run further up the ground this year. Could be set for a big year.

Menzel: So much class around goals. Will get some midfield minutes but majority of time will be up forward. Look forward to seeing continued improvement from him this year.

DOC: Doc just seems to have a knack for a goal and to be fair I really see him and Yaz making the transition to the midfield this year by rotating through the HFF. Helps a lot that both of them can be very dangeorus up forward.

Bench – Explained:
Unfortunately for some of our older players, there is no room for poor disposal if we are going to cut down on turnovers and transition from middle tier to consistent top eight competitor. So some of my favorites (like Ed and Bell) have been left out.

Whiley: Completely agree with 3B, he is physically ready to play significant minutes in 2015. More developed than Cripps and more talented than Bell. The fact that he can also tag means that players such as Carrots and Ed miss out. This team has two tagging options with Andrejs and Whiley so this is no longer a skill that will get players with poor to average disposal into the side.

Yaz and Daisy: Midfield rotation

Is it too much to expect MM and Match committees to release weekly Selections Reasons???:D:D:D

Using 3B's template I've decided to have a go at picking my best 22 for next year. Maybe some of my selections are a bit left field but I'll explain them below.

B: Kade Simpson, Michael Jamison, Dylan Buckley
Kristian Jaksch
HB: Andrew Walker, Sam Rowe, Simon White

C: Andrejs Everitt, Patrick Cripps, Chris Judd,

HF: Troy Menzel, Lachie Henderson, Sam Docherty
F: Liam Jones, Levi Casboult

RK: Matthew Kreuzer, Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy

INT: Mark Whiley,Dale Thomas , Chris Yarran SUB: as needed

Defensive Selections – Explained:
Upon reviewing our games from last year, it became appartent to me that our transition game and midfield turn overs were the two areas that needed to improve the most for us to become competitive with the top 4 teams. In my opinion while our defense is strong defensively they are poor at offense running and covering each other. Many of our "midfield" turnovers came about form the backline not carrying the ball and kicking shallowly to contested situations.

I am also a fan of a spare man in defense. While I think that it has limited use as a defensive ploy, I think that it works well as an offensive ploy to help with a teams transition game.

Kade, jamo, 1AW, Sam and Whitey pick them selves as our lock down defensive unit.

Jacksch: This is Jaksch 3rd season and reviewing his GWS games he looks to have all the attributes that you would expect form an offensive spare man in defense, good height, good run and carry, good speed and good disposal. Additionally he adds flexability to the side as he, Hendo, DOC, Andrejs and 1AW can all swap forward - back.

Buckley: In my opinion once young Buckley was injured last year, our run and carry took a significant hit. Probably because 1AW was also injured, but we just didn't have that explosiveness from the back half anymore. So bucks gets my nod for this role.

Rucks Selections – Explained:

Completely agree with 3B: Kruz, Gibba and Murph says it all

Midfield Selections – Explained:
All of these guys offer a difficult matchup for the opposition, Good disposal and fantastic skills, having targets like these while streaming out from defense will provide options top the defensive unit. Additionally all of them are good extractors of the ball.

Judd: Still too good to be left out of the midfield, but at this stage of his career I'd rather someone be handing the ball off to him that see him on the bottom of the pack everytime, so out to the wing he goes.

Andrejs: was great for us last year until he got injured, he provides a strong marking target, and is particurly hard to man up on in the midfield due to his exceptional tank.

Cripps: I saw a few NB games last year and honestly at times this guy was simply untouchable. I don't think that he has much to learn in the 2's and I think that he can provide some much needed grunt to the side. He is also very hard to matchup on and uses his height well to provide a marking option when needed.

Forward Selections – Explained:
Henderson: Our CHF. Enough said.

Jones: All reports are that he will be leading out of the goal square for the Blues in 2015. Needs to grab this second chance and provide defensive pressure or could find himself out of the team for Watson, White, or even Foster.

Casboult: Dangerous third tall with a high tank. Looks to have slimmed down and can run further up the ground this year. Could be set for a big year.

Menzel: So much class around goals. Will get some midfield minutes but majority of time will be up forward. Look forward to seeing continued improvement from him this year.

DOC: Doc just seems to have a knack for a goal and to be fair I really see him and Yaz making the transition to the midfield this year by rotating through the HFF. Helps a lot that both of them can be very dangeorus up forward.

Bench – Explained:
Unfortunately for some of our older players, there is no room for poor disposal if we are going to cut down on turnovers and transition from middle tier to consistent top eight competitor. So some of my favorites (like Ed and Bell) have been left out.

Whiley: Completely agree with 3B, he is physically ready to play significant minutes in 2015. More developed than Cripps and more talented than Bell. The fact that he can also tag means that players such as Carrots and Ed miss out. This team has two tagging options with Andrejs and Whiley so this is no longer a skill that will get players with poor to average disposal into the side.

Yaz and Daisy: Midfield rotation
Like most of your posts so far, showing a terrific understanding of modern football. Please post more often :thumbsu:

Whiley hasn't had much of a pre-season due to injury, I reckon Curnow is a definite in and I'd rather see Murphy released to the outside than Judd due to size and playing style but apart from that I'd love to see this team run out in round one.

Refering back to Dean Laidley's comments last week - could we see Cripps playing a 3rd tall forward role at times this year? Tank obviously not his strenghth so he's prob in need of a full season in the seniors coupled with another preseason under his belt in order to play out big lengths in the guts..

Refering back to Dean Laidley's comments last week - could we see Cripps playing a 3rd tall forward role at times this year? Tank obviously not his strenghth so he's prob in need of a full season in the seniors coupled with another preseason under his belt in order to play out big lengths in the guts..
At this stage, he would have to be the 14th tall forward, behind Casboult, Henderson, Jones, Kreuzer, Walker, Watson, Jaksch........

At this stage, he would have to be the 14th tall forward, behind Casboult, Henderson, Jones, Kreuzer, Walker, Watson, Jaksch........

Yeah i know that we do have a few options up front - where do you see Crippsy spending the most of his time when he's playing seniors? Hopefully 60% of his TOG is in the guts, need to find some more rotation for him in other positions. I for one wouldnt have even thought about paying him in that sort of role - but it was what i drew from Laidley's comments last week. And now am warming to the idea - we dont want to be too top heavy so a mobile tall mid (potenitally more Walkers role) is IMO something we'll need.

Cripps was already spending some minutes in the forward line in games he played last year. I can remember him being up there against Melbourne distinctly. I thought that might have been because of his lack of fitness at the time, but I can't think of a good reason not to have him go up there a bit as a marking target anyway. If most of his time is in the middle as you have suggested and the rest is spent on the pine or up forward, I reckon that wil get the most return from him.

If we decide to play the spare man and five in the forward line I'd still not have Walker in defense. Doesn't have the consistency in skill, defense or smarts to be the go to guy.

FB: Buckley, Jamison, Jaksch
HB: Simpson, Yarran, Rowe, Thomas
C: Murphy, Judd, Boekhorst
HF: Walker, Henderson
FF: Casboult, Jones, Menzel
R: Kreuzer, Gibbs, Curnow
IC: Everitt, Sheehan, Docherty, Tuohy/Carrazzo/Bell

Buckley, Simpson, Thomas and Yarran off half back would be brilliant if Boekhorst and Murphy become very good wingman for us. In reality, the young guys will take longer, Carrazzo will get games, Murphy will be under packs.

White offers mongrel too. It's an oldie, but imo it's vital. I look around our list and despite seeing good footballers everywhere, I don't see the gritty, love-the-taste-of-a-bust-lip kind of players. Maybe I'm just missing Heath Scotland.

White has a strong body, is solid and uncompromising - he has the reputation of a quiet tough-man about him; for now, an important player in that team and deserves a spot in the 22.

Going to give this one more shot before the season commences:

Simpson Jamison White/Jaksch ...............White likely to be favoured, as Jaksch may need to show form first.
Docherty Rowe Sheehan/Tuohy...............Sheehan may just be a little in front given his ability to concentrate for the full game.

Kreuzer Judd Murphy...............................Little to argue about here
Yarran Gibbs Boekhorst/Buckley...............Speed, evasiveness and run needed. May make for a good battle.

Thomas Henderson Walker.......................Walker needs to be fit where he can run up and down the ground but otherwise makes for a good line.
Menzel Jones Casboult/Wood....................If Casboult doesn't perform early on we may go for the Wood/Kreuzer combo.

Everitt Curnow Carrazzo Cripps/Bell/Graham/etc...............The last spot or two will make for a lot of interest.

I'm somewhat confident for all the player in black as most pretty much pick themselves.
Some may argue Docherty, Curnow or Carrazzo but if they're fit they'll be in the team.............and Docherty didn't even have a pre-season last year.

Agree with your players in black.
I really think jaksch will be in the side round 1 barring injury. White is valuable for his toughness and is a flexible player. He may come into calculations in other positions.

Buckley would have to be given the nod ahead of Boekhorst

I cant see wood in ahead of Casboult

The last Midfield spots will be very interesting. I feel here will be decided by nab cup form

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wood is more than capable of taking contested marks in the forward line, and kicks a whole lot better than Casboult. Having said that, he wouldn't have the forward craft of Cas, nor the physical presence either. It's an interesting idea to replace Cas with Wood if needed - I hadn't considered it before, HARKER

Wood is more than capable of taking contested marks in the forward line, and kicks a whole lot better than Casboult. Having said that, he wouldn't have the forward craft of Cas, nor the physical presence either. It's an interesting idea to replace Cas with Wood if needed - I hadn't considered it before, HARKER

I guess we have some players that we can't count on, week in and week out.
I have a lot of time for Levi but he'll need to string quality games together and not just tease with the one good game in four any more.

We've had too many "one in four good game players" in the past and when you do the math, it doesn't work out favourably.
Being relied on week in and week out without being a superstar yields a much better result in the end and maintains team harmony.

Freo are in a bit of strife IMO. people howl us down but if you look at the freo KP's wow they are in strife (explains why they will probably throw the kitchen sink at Rance).
I'm sure it has already been thrown at his manager (and it was full of $$) - but will he catch it??

Alright i'll have a dig

Im a big believer in playing youth as much as you can

Simpson Jamison White
Yarran Rowe Docherty

Kreuzer Murphy Judd
Thomas Gibbs Everitt

Walker Henderson Boekhorst
Casboult Jones Menzeeel

Cripps Curnow Buckley (Graham)

Plently of movement available on our flanks and wings this year i feel. Easy to change up if players aren't playing well on the side of the ground.

Ok guys my turn

Jaksch Jamison Buckley
Docherty Rowe Yarran
Thomas Cripps Boekhorst
Menzel Casboult Graham
Jones Henderson Everrit

Kreuzer Murphy Gibbs

Judd Carrazzo Whiley Simpson

I get the feeling some of these forward lines are slightly too tall leaving us vulnerable when the ball hits the deck. We need another small to partner Menzel up there to keep the balance. Yarran is too skillful and damaging in the action to put in the forward pocket but how many alternatives do we really have? I hope Smith comes on nice and fast...

I get the feeling some of these forward lines are slightly too tall leaving us vulnerable when the ball hits the deck. We need another small to partner Menzel up there to keep the balance. Yarran is too skillful and damaging in the action to put in the forward pocket but how many alternatives do we really have? I hope Smith comes on nice and fast...

Tutt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back