List Mgmt. Best 22 - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d have Higgins in ahead of Castagna.
This flows on to Bolton coming in for Butler eventually. Unless Rioli moves into the midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broad, Castagna, Butler and McIntosh are the casualties that I think will get passed by C Ellis, Conca, Higgins and Bolton.

Depending on our opposition and how Nank is holding up is expect us to rotate our tall stocks and bring in Hampson, Griff and Moore when needed. Balta could be the surprise here given he’s already at 195cm/92kgs and then throw in a solid preseason.

The big mover of the year will be Drummond cementing himself as an in and out midfielder once he finally gets a decent crack at it without injury.

By end of the year I think we’ll throw Butler up as trade bait given our surplus stocks. Hampson will retire and Chol moved on. The rest? Buggered if I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the 4 guys you mentioned played every game in seniors this year... injuries aside, I can’t see these players not being in our best 22 come round 1.
Happy to be proven wrong

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Grimes Rance Vlastuin
Houli Astbury Ellis
Grigg Cotchin Lambert
Edwards Caddy Rioli
Butler Riewoldt Higgins
Nankervis Prestia Martin
INT: McIntosh Townsend Graham Broad

Can only see 3 of Rioli, Butler, Castagna, Bolton, Higgins and Stengle in the side at any time, much like 2017. Will be a rotation between everyone but Rioli I'd say. Bolton could wow everyone. Awesome problem to have.

Short, Conca, Markov or Balta will get first crack at Broad's floating HB role and I can see Short locking it down, at least until Broad warrants selection.

Questions; Can Townsend continue his form? Will Corey Ellis finally arrive? Can Conca or Griffiths find their way back into the senior side? Are Miles and Lloyd purely VFL footballers now?

CEllis was found out against the Cats in our last loss for the year. He doesn’t apply enough pressure and still lacks the strength to keep his feet and balance when he’s under the pump. It’s a laugh how I continue to see his name thrown into our best 22. He’s a back up player at best and is probably our 30th man at best. Conca is just ahead of him and his unreliability with fitness as well as poor disposal puts him behind blokes like Markov Short Bolton Miles Lloyd and even some of our draftees. The new RFC waits for no one and this is why blokes like Lambert Rioli Butler George Broad and Graham went passed these blokes. We play the best 22 not the sentimental 22 which happened for years with blokes like Chaplin Morris Hampson TV Griffo Conca Newman and all those spuds ( Azza Miller Hunt etc) DH continued to play before Balme and Caracella got there .
It’s a cut throat industry as Lennon found out and switched on FD that get success constantly make the tough calls and rotate the list annually.
Enjoy the year guys and get excited about Callum Moore.

Last edited:
....... by the way Jack Graham didn’t have a preseason in his first AFL season and played in an AFL Premiership with hardly any vfl games under his belt.
The excuses are over for players like CEllis and Conca as they have their work cut out as this lack of preseason excuse is bull shit. Good players get up to the level almost straight away and get their way back into the team almost immediately. Watch Rioli have an interrupted preseason , but get back up to the expected level almost straight away. People need to accept that some players just won’t cut it as Lennon found out. He was a bloke that people kept pulling the no preseason line , but the reality was that he couldn’t cut it at the level. I have similar fears for CEllis and he will need to improve physically to prove me wrong. Markov on the other hand once he builds his confidence up could be a star bc he has strength speed skill and balance.

Last edited:
B: Grimes, Astbury, Vlastuin
HB: Houli, Rance, B.Ellis
C: Lambert, Cotchin, Edwards
HF: Caddy, Townsend, Rioli
F: Bolton, Reiwoldt, Butler
R: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
I: Graham, Grigg, McIntosh, Higgins

B: Broad, Garthwaite, Balta
HB: Short, Chol, Conca
C: Menadue, Miles, Markov
HF: Naish, Moore, Castagna
F: Stengle, Griffiths, Coleman-Jones
R: Hampson, Lloyd, C.Ellis
I: Soldo, Drummond, Miller, Rookie

Sometimes wish I lived in Melb. Would love to go and watch that vfl team develop through the year.

Going by that our VFL 22 would crap all over Norfs best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL

B: Grimes Astbury Vlaustin
HB: Houli Rance B Ellis
C: Grigg Martin Edwards
HF:Caddy Townsend Lambert
F:Rioli Riewoldt Butler
Foll:Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
Int: Mcintosh Graham Castagna Markov

VFL
B: Conca Beasley Garthwaite
HB: Smith Miller Broad
C: Short Miles Menadue
HF: Bolton Balta Higgins
F: Stengle Griffiths Moore
Foll: Hampson C Ellis Lloyd
Int: Drummond Chol Soldo C. Moore Baker Naish Morris Coleman-Jones

Not sure if we have recruited any VFL players for next year and also don’t know who we have retained. Obviously hard to tell what the draftees will do but there is a lot of talent on that list. Exciting times

Last edited:
Can those with Griffiths in their best 22 please explain why?

Personally think him and hampson are the first 2 gone end of 2018!

Well let me put it this way, we had soldo in the team as a chop out for Nank and managed to carry him and win games. We wouldn't be carrying Griff and he is a great chop out for Nank, can also create a contest in our 50 for our smalls to feed off.

Not saying he will be best 22 all year long, but hes still got something to offer imo

C: Balta Martin Edwards
HF: Rioli Riewoldt Bolton
F: Higgins CCJ Townsend
Foll: Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
Int: Graham, Caddy, Lambert, Grigg

Well let me put it this way, we had soldo in the team as a chop out for Nank and managed to carry him and win games. We wouldn't be carrying Griff and he is a great chop out for Nank, can also create a contest in our 50 for our smalls to feed off.

Not saying he will be best 22 all year long, but hes still got something to offer imo
our forward line is based on defensive pressure! In fact that's a non negotiable! Something he doesn't offer. It's no surprise we played our best footy when we gave up on having a second key tall!

I feel sorry for Nank but it'll be him and grigg sharing again this season!

C: Balta Martin Edwards
HF: Rioli Riewoldt Bolton
F: Higgins CCJ Townsend
Foll: Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
Int: Graham, Caddy, Lambert, Grigg
Butler finished 8th in the B&F... wont make way for any newbies.
McIntosh must be getting injured in preaseason? Or is this what you hope for late in the season?

I don't disagree with much of this and I am happy for most of that lot - and Miles and Lloyd - to be given a crack at making a spot their own. Competition breeds success. But shit no, I can't cop 'Mr Hands on Hips' Hampson even being considered for selection.
This I have said for years and was well proven this year. You need 22 contributors and 22 guys having a red-hot crack. I said it while others were defending Vickery, a non-trier, and those same people and the coach kept telling us that he was crucial to structure etc. etc.,. We were better off playing a small who competed and contributed. Ditto for Griffiths. Our success this year didn't depend o having 'X' amount of smalls, or 'X' amount of mids, you need your best 22 and ALL contributing. We are done carrying blokes and that means Mr 'Hands on Hips' who contributes zilch except for at centre bounces. Why we want to revert to non contributing plodders like Hampson and Griff (both half of the player of Vickery) I will never know!
Absolutely 100% correct.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Best 22 - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back