List Mgmt. Best 22 - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine if George starts sticking his marks! At this stage, George is the better of the two pressure wise (not only chasing) and his awareness of where to be was excellent in the finals.

Not bad for a rookie. Hope they promote him, deserves a spot on the primary list.

Out: Castagna, Townsend, Broad
In: Bolton, Griffiths, C.Ellis

I think Bolton will be very exciting with another hot summer of running under his belt, and Castagna is the most vulnerable and flawed of our smalls. We made the one tall work this year but we can't rest on our laurels and expect it to just happen again, the game will evolve and teams will do their hardest to work that gameplan out over summer. I feel like we will go back to a second tall who can relieve in the ruck, we can't keep running Nank ragged every week and it's probably a more sustainable system. Griff probably gets first crack if he can put together an interrupted preseason but Moore is the bolter if he keeps developing as he did last year. I don't mind the idea of Griff leading out of the goalsquare and having a shot anywhere in the forward 60 aka a discount Ben Brown. As for Broad, it's a question of whether we go for a Short/Conca/Markov option or try and go like for like, which imo is probably McIntosh being pushed back. That allows a spot for Menadue or C.Ellis, and I'll go for C.Ellis because I think he really started to put it together in the VFL during the back end of the year and in finals, but Menadue is another one who looks primed to burst out.

B: D.Grimes, D.Astbury, N.Vlastuin
HB: B.Houli, A.Rance, B.Ellis
C: K.Lambert, T.Cotchin, S.Edwards
HF: J.Caddy, J.Reiwoldt, D.Butler
F: S.Bolton, B.Griffiths, D.Rioli
R: T.Nankervis, D.Martin, D.Prestia
I: J.Graham, S.Grigg, K.McIntosh, C.Ellis

EMG: C.Menadue, J.Townsend, J.Castagna, R.Conca
You may be right about including Griff but he would need to improve pressure wise and/or consistently take grabs and kick goals (has he ever kicked more than 1 goal in the 1's). He often misses the goals and targets so he will need to improve his DE. If he improve with those things, he could be a great inclusion as he can play KPF, KPB and in the ruck.

Griffiths has zero chance of being any good. I’ve watched him play in the VFL. He is rather like TV. He doesn’t get into good positions and thus he rarely competes. He does not have a football brain although he has all the other AFL attributes. And then we should mention his proneness to injury.
Yes, despite what I just said in my last post; I do agree with you on Griff's current failings. Fingers crossed he consistently comes good or we pickup a draftee who is a good KP player who can help out in the ruck.

Imagine if George starts sticking his marks! At this stage, George is the better of the two pressure wise (not only chasing) and his awareness of where to be was excellent in the finals.
Agree. Look again at the finals. George’s impact in contests is big but he has fumbled, dropped marks, etc. If he starts to be a one grab player then he will be class A. If he continues to be unsure, he won’t make it. I reckon he will get there!

Seemed to work in the finals

My point was, what happened this year is likely not going to work again next year. We can’t rest on our laurels thinking that we don’t need to change anything.
If we want to go back to back, we need to throw up something different because clubs will spend the whole pre-season trying to combat our game style.

It’s all well and good to say it worked in the finals, but it’s not the right attitude to have for sustained success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My point was, what happened this year is likely not going to work again next year. We can’t rest on our laurels thinking that we don’t need to change anything.
If we want to go back to back, we need to throw up something different because clubs will spend the whole pre-season trying to combat our game style.

It’s all well and good to say it worked in the finals, but it’s not the right attitude to have for sustained success.

Says who?

The Bulldogs...

We are not them. We have to maybe tinker and have a good plan B but I don’t think we have to make any significant changes. Our game is built on defence and it’s the best in the comp. First year of a changed game style, don’t forget that.

We are not them. We have to maybe tinker and have a good plan B but I don’t think we have to make any significant changes. Our game is built on defence and it’s the best in the comp. First year of a changed game style, don’t forget that.

I’m not forgetting that, I just know that we are now the team to beat, and clubs will throw everything at us which has never really happened to us before.

I’m not forgetting that, I just know that we are now the team to beat, and clubs will throw everything at us which has never really happened to us before.

We’ll be fine. We have GOAT x 2

I agree with you re tinkering rather than wholesale changes. Up until the Freo game, I didn't think we could win the flag this year.
I was thinking that with continued improvement with the current game style, we could win it in 2018.

But we were the best side for our last 5 games. So keep that going in 2018 and we would be on track for back to back.
We certainly don't need major changes that might affect early form.

Game style wise, I would like to see more efficient I50's, not complete changes, but bombing away a little less.
So for that reason unless we have a "very good" 2nd tall option, I would not change the current team set up. I don't think the GF 22 needs too many changes.
There are some players than need to improve with composure and / or confidence but most of the team can keep doing what they did in the last 5 games.

I think the most obvious oppo analysis would be to increase their forward pressure, either with their current talls if possible, or maybe going with 1 tall less.
But that doesn't seem to be the thinking of Dogs, Port. And GWS probably won't change their forward talls.
I think Adel were too tall against us.
We might have to change our backs if teams go with smaller forwards.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I re watched all the finals this week and I can't believe how good he was getting to contests and corralling. Live at the match a lot of that got lost in those couple of bad fumbles or whatever but I think we as a collective have massively underrated his finals series.

I re watched all the finals this week and I can't believe how good he was getting to contests and corralling. Live at the match a lot of that got lost in those couple of bad fumbles or whatever but I think we as a collective have massively underrated his finals series.
Or getting two hands to the ball in a pack mark and spilling it. Frustrating player. He knows how to find it, but his skills are pretty poor.

Agree. Look again at the finals. George’s impact in contests is big but he has fumbled, dropped marks, etc. If he starts to be a one grab player then he will be class A. If he continues to be unsure, he won’t make it. I reckon he will get there!
You ever played a final? Nerves get to players. Experience makes them better. Get off his back.
Talk about pick for the sake of picking

You ever played a final? Nerves get to players. Experience makes them better. Get off his back.
Talk about pick for the sake of picking
To be fair mate he did it the whole year, I'm sure he is aware of it and will be doing everything he can to improve in that area over summer. Just because they are premiership players doesn't make them all suddenly Dustin Martin, a lot of them are young and have deficiencies to work on.

You may be right about including Griff but he would need to improve pressure wise and/or consistently take grabs and kick goals (has he ever kicked more than 1 goal in the 1's). He often misses the goals and targets so he will need to improve his DE. If he improve with those things, he could be a great inclusion as he can play KPF, KPB and in the ruck.

Griff kicked 5 goals against Sydney in 2016. He had 8 tackles in a game against Port last year as well.
But he has room for improvement in a lot of areas. Consistently playing, an injury free run, will boost his confidence

No team has ever won two straight grand finals with the same 22, 21 or 20. It doesn't happen.

You're argument doesn't make sense though, why would we make changes to this side at the moment? This is currently our best side, we had no injuries last year, the coaches had the ability to pick the best possible side and they did that. Of course this side won't play all games in 2018 together, players will develop and grow, others will hit bad patches of form like all sides do, but right at this moment the grand final side is our best 22.

Team needs to develop and grow. If we rely on the same 22 again week in, week out, there’s no guarantee we will achieve the same result.

But this topic is 2018 best 22, why would our best 22 right at this point in time not be the grand final side? The coaches picked this side with all players on our list being fit except for Drummond.

Who you'd like to see develop and who you could see playing in the 1s in the future vs the best 22 now are 2 separate things.

You're argument doesn't make sense though, why would we make changes to this side at the moment? This is currently our best side, we had no injuries last year, the coaches had the ability to pick the best possible side and they did that. Of course this side won't play all games in 2018 together, players will develop and grow, others will hit bad patches of form like all sides do, but right at this moment the grand final side is our best 22.
So should we just pick the round 1 side now? It’s complacency to think the team should just stay the same now, other teams will improve and we will need too also.

The Bulldogs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE The Doggies IMPLODED from within very badly, they never got going to find their game style because of that reason, i believe that our club is rock solid from within,[photo hiccup handled quickly and decisively] and this will allow us to 'tinker' our game style a 'little' and i bet the others won't find a way through? we hold the 'sword' and they only have the knives! we can keep them 'second guessing' with our strong young list. Its 'OUR ZONE' right now, don't change too much. Cheers.

So should we just pick the round 1 side now? It’s complacency to think the team should just stay the same now, other teams will improve and we will need too also.

surely you can't suggest it's absurd to talk about the round 1 side now when this thread is pure speculation on that exact topic?

At the moment it's each and every player in that grand final teams spot to lose, this is just common sense.

Why do you think that changing this side just has to be done to improve the side anyway? You understand that we have a very young side anyway and there is still a lot of improvement in the side anyway?

Until other players on our list demand selection above the players who played in the grand final or any of those players drop in form, I can't see your point that there is such a necessity to change personnel.

I think the most obvious oppo analysis would be to increase their forward pressure, either with their current talls if possible, or maybe going with 1 tall less.
But that doesn't seem to be the thinking of Dogs, Port. And GWS probably won't change their forward talls.
I think Adel were too tall against us.
We might have to change our backs if teams go with smaller forwards.

Nah, thats the beauty of our defence, barring Astbury, all our talls are very agile and nimble, enabling us to be more flexible than most defences. Tall or small we can handle it all

I can see several of the following players forcing their way into our best 22 next year - (just dont ask me who they'll replace!)

Markov - Im a big wrap for this kid, hope he nails a spot down
Shai - everyone knows the talent levels of this kid are through the roof
Menadue -
Miles -
Garthwaite - workhorse, will force his way in by sheer willpower, coaches love his attitude. Im secretly hoping he comes in as our second tall fwd - his profile is exactly what we require from a second tall, big runner, tenacious, thirst for a contest.
Lloyd- keep working on that tank son, was racking up ridiculous numbers when he moved to the midfield towards the end of the season in the vfl.

On the outer but a chance
Griff
Conca
CEllis

We're in a good spot list wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Best 22 - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back