List Mgmt. Best 22 for 2014 + structures and strategies

Remove this Banner Ad

Why replace Waters with someone small and more agile?

Because we have Hurn and Yeo who are taller and Hurn is a very good intercept mark.

If we also play Schofield, Glass and MaCkenzie then we definitely need a smaller agile back pocket for the Dahlaus and Ballantyne type forwards.

Bennell is more flexible as he can play mid / forward or back which is what we need more of.

Carter debuted last season in that role but still has plenty to learn.

Kind of missed the point in that comment. Waters won't be replaced by a back pocket because we'll already have one in the side along side him if he was available to play. Maybe even Bennell.

Who's to say where Yeo will be playing, i'm hopeful that he'll be playing well up the ground but i fear his ability to play tight means he'll be stuck deep in defense. Him and Smith aren't that tall that they're incompetent on smalls. So if one or both of them are already in the side and Ellis was omitted. Then i'd much rather Ellis came into the side off a half back flank/ wing than throw Bennell deep into defense.

Bennell really isn't proven on any line given his career to date.

Kind of missed the point in that comment. Waters won't be replaced by a back pocket because we'll already have one in the side along side him if he was available to play. Maybe even Bennell.

Who's to say where Yeo will be playing, i'm hopeful that he'll be playing well up the ground but i fear his ability to play tight means he'll be stuck deep in defense. Him and Smith aren't that tall that they're incompetent on smalls. So if one or both of them are already in the side and Ellis was omitted. Then i'd much rather Ellis came into the side off a half back flank/ wing than throw Bennell deep into defense.

Bennell really isn't proven on any line given his career to date.

If fit Bennell will play most of the pre season cup and if his form warrants it he gets picked. He is basically a mature age pickup coming back from a knee reco. Elevated off the rookie list for a reason and hopefully he has some luck, stays fit and adds something to our rotations forward, mid or back.

He would be fighting with McGinnity, Sheppard, Butler, Smith or Hill for a game.

Say if he kept Sheed out of the side I could possibly understand peoples reactions getting nasty pretty quickly!:D

Bennell needs to play well this season or it may be his last at AFL level, I just think his best is pretty good he just needs to do more of it.

If fit Bennell will play most of the pre season cup and if his form warrants it he gets picked. He is basically a mature age pickup coming back from a knee reco. Elevated off the rookie list for a reason and hopefully he has some luck, stays fit and adds something to our rotations forward, mid or back.

He would be fighting with McGinnity, Sheppard, Butler, Smith or Hill for a game.

Say if he kept Sheed out of the side I could possibly understand peoples reactions getting nasty pretty quickly!:D

Bennell needs to play well this season or it may be his last at AFL level, I just think his best is pretty good he just needs to do more of it.

:thumbsdown:

my rd 1 team

Ellis Brown Glass
Yeo Mckenzie Hurn
Wellingham Priddis Gaff
Masten Darling Hill
Lecras Kennedy Cox

Naitanui Selwood Shuey

inter--Rosa ,Hutchings ,Cripps sub ; Bennell/Sheed

No real surprises to see our recent trade recruits Ellis ,Yeo ,Wellingham ,Hutchings ,Cripps Bennell coming into the 22 they were recruited to fill deficiency`s in the squad ..

my rd 1 team

Ellis Brown Glass
Yeo Mckenzie Hurn
Wellingham Priddis Gaff
Masten Darling Hill
Lecras Kennedy Cox

Naitanui Selwood Shuey

inter--Rosa ,Hutchings ,Cripps sub ; Bennell/Sheed

No real surprises to see our recent trade recruits Ellis ,Yeo ,Wellingham ,Hutchings ,Cripps Bennell coming into the 22 they were recruited to fill deficiency`s in the squad ..

Good side against the Dogs round 1. Schofield out Brown in I would swap if Schofield is fit enough.

Need plenty of legs in this game and that side looks good on paper with plenty of runners.

Being round 1 poor disposal efficiency will suite Hurn, Glass and MacKenzie down back with the Dogs down a few talls.

I reckon we need Yeo's run off half back, maybe Scooter to tag him? (if that is his role in 2014)

If he is playing as mid then yes. I do agree we need Yeo for his run off half back but we also need a defender that is able to curb small forwards....we do have my man Carter in the wings but i think he might need a few games to develop. Could even try out Bennell in round 1? he seems to be having a very solid pre-season and does have AFL experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that's a tough question, over 20m:

1. Yeo
  2. Schofield
  3. Shuey
  4. Hill
  5. Bennell???

There probably be 3 or 4 the same pace as the 5th fastest.

1. Smith
2. Yeo
3. Naitanui
4. Shuey
5. Cripps

2009/2010 Smith would be quick but these days with all the extra body mass i really doubt he is the quickest.
I wouldnt have thought that it was body mass slowing him down...

If you had of said his hipster hair cut, then I would have agreed!

Does anyone know if Hutchings can tag?

He seems suited to it in theory, just don't know how much he's done of it (and how well).

I'd say he'd be able to as his defensive pressure and his tackling is top notch, its just whether he can stay switched on for a full game of doing it that would have to be tested.

Lets not forget they beat us last year and they are on the improve.

The fact it's at PS makes me a hell of a lot more confident.

Plus we have Yeo so.... GG bulldogs

When we played them last year their team was older and more experienced than ours. 7 players with over 150 games compared to 2. The fact that Masten was subbed out injured in the second term didn't help. http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=5701

They also had a full squad to choose from. The only real change of consequence for them will be Crameri for Grant.

In contrast, the Eagles will get back a host of stars. Potential ins and outs assuming a generic best 22:

Ins (reason missed r18 2013)

1. Naitanui (injured)
2. Glass (suspended)
3. Shuey (injured)
4. Hurn (injured)
5. LeCras (injured)
6. Rosa (injured)
7. Yeo (trade)
8. Ellis (free agent)
9. Sheed (draft)

Outs (reason not playing round 1 2014)

1. Dalziell (delisted)
2. Wilson (omitted)
3. Smith (omitted)
4. Lycett (omitted)
5. Hams (delisted)
6. Cripps (omitted)
7. Morton (delisted)
8 & 9. two of the following three would be omitted: Butler, Brown, Hutchings

That's an impressive list. The dogs won't recognise the team that went to Etihad last year. At home on the hallowed turf of subi I think we'll beat them easily.

When we played them last year their team was older and more experienced than ours. 7 players with over 150 games compared to 2. The fact that Masten was subbed out injured in the second term didn't help. http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=5701

They also had a full squad to choose from. The only real change of consequence for them will be Crameri for Grant.

In contrast, the Eagles will get back a host of stars. Potential ins and outs assuming a generic best 22:

Ins (reason missed r18 2013)

1. Naitanui (injured)
2. Glass (suspended)
3. Shuey (injured)
4. Hurn (injured)
5. LeCras (injured)
6. Rosa (injured)
7. Yeo (trade)
8. Ellis (free agent)
9. Sheed (draft)

Outs (reason not playing round 1 2014)

1. Dalziell (delisted)
2. Wilson (omitted)
3. Smith (omitted)
4. Lycett (omitted)
5. Hams (delisted)
6. Cripps (omitted)
7. Morton (delisted)
8 & 9. two of the following three would be omitted: Butler, Brown, Hutchings

That's an impressive list. The dogs won't recognise the team that went to Etihad last year. At home on the hallowed turf of subi I think we'll beat them easily.

No Dalziell, that's some confidence you're showing right there without our best player.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Best 22 for 2014 + structures and strategies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back