List Mgmt. Best 22 for 2014 + structures and strategies

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be surprised if Butler is seen as best 21, but I don't think he'd be seen as a lock. I think the MC would be considering him along with Schofield, Brown, Carter, Bennell, Sheppard, Smith etc for the last two spots in our back 7.

IMO Glass, Mackenzie, Yeo, Hurn and Ellis are locks.

Which really only leaves one spot for a smaller defender.
Butler offers a number of things but so do some of the other players like Carter and Bennell.

Which really only leaves one spot for a smaller defender.
Butler offers a number of things but so do some of the other players like Carter and Bennell.

Yeah I agree. Only way there could be two is if Ellis plays lots of midfield (or him Yeo/Hurn play enough midfield between then) to pick 8 defenders.

I wish I shared the optimism of some regarding Bennell and Ellis; there's a very good chance they won't get their bodies right and won't feature much if at all during the year.

You realise that Bennell played 15 WAFL matches last year (12 senior, three reserves) coming back from a knee reconstruction and has done the whole pre-season? (As has Ellis for that matter). The reality is that they are both fit now so barring any unexpected injury they both should be available for round one.

You realise that Bennell played 15 WAFL matches last year (12 senior, three reserves) coming back from a knee reconstruction and has done the whole pre-season? (As has Ellis for that matter). The reality is that they are both fit now so barring any unexpected injury they both should be available for round one.
I do realise. Bennell did well but there are still question marks over his durability and, hell, even his ability at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Butler is seen as best 21, but I don't think he'd be seen as a lock. I think the MC would be considering him along with Schofield, Brown, Carter, Bennell, Sheppard, Smith etc for the last two spots in our back 7.

IMO Glass, Mackenzie, Yeo, Hurn and Ellis are locks.

Butler is over rated, has only 1 speed and his decision making is poor. That and his continued over estimation of his own talent make him a shaky defender.

Time for him to be phased out IMO

Consistently poor. Up forward or down back.
In 2009 Melbourne finished last winning 4 games, in 2010 they finished 12th winning 8 games, in 2011, they again finished 12th winning 9 games and in 2012 they finished 16th winning 6 games. There weren't too many good players over those years and a bit hard to blame a guy in his first four seasons of AFL.

I really like Butler and consider him a very clever footballer, but the fact remains, we have had a lot of trouble moving the ball out of defense and hurting other teams from this position. How much that has to do with an insistence on moving the ball around the boundary and how much is personnel-related remains to be seen. The fact we've brought in Bennell, Yeo and Ellis suggests they have question marks over the personnel.

I really like Butler and consider him a very clever footballer, but the fact remains, we have had a lot of trouble moving the ball out of defense and hurting other teams from this position. How much that has to do with an insistence on moving the ball around the boundary and how much is personnel-related remains to be seen. The fact we've brought in Bennell, Yeo and Ellis suggests they have question marks over the personnel.
Butler has never been a rebound defender so it hasn't been his job propel our attacks . What he does
Do well is when we have been under pressure and handballing around in circles he gets that 15-20m kick to a team mate to stop the game . Yeo was a lucky get and not bought in to replace a defender as Wce have said they want to use him as a mid as he was before he was drafted . Ellis and bennell were low risk potential high reward recruites and in bennell case wce rated him highly and missed out on getting him by 1 pick. I think butler will be well and truly in the mix for round 1

I think butler will start to struggle a bit this year. Might turn into the new A.Selwood wipping boy now he and Embley are gone.

TBH i'd actually like to see us start phasing out Butler for Bennell, Brennan, Carter and Yeo. If he is playing consistently good football then naturally he should be staying in the best 22, but if they are constantly rushing him back into the team regardless of form just because of who he is, i'll be annoyed.

I think butler will start to struggle a bit this year. Might turn into the new A.Selwood wipping boy now he and Embley are gone.

TBH i'd actually like to see us start phasing out Butler for Bennell, Brennan, Carter and Yeo. If he is playing consistently good football then naturally he should be staying in the best 22, but if they are constantly rushing him back into the team regardless of form just because of who he is, i'll be annoyed.

I agree about phasing him out and he should only play as depth when we have injuries. Butler has reached his peak and will not get any better...But i think they will play him all year as they made a point during one of the pre-season updates they they are making sure Butlers body can handle a full season.

I agree about phasing him out and he should only play as depth when we have injuries. Butler has reached his peak and will not get any better...But i think they will play him all year as they made a point during one of the pre-season updates they they are making sure Butlers body can handle a full season.

Yeah that's another thing i don't get. I understand them managing him, i remember watching the videos on that story a couple years ago.

But surely somebody who does not train with the main group or undergoes next to no full training sessions during the week provides more output then a younger player who can do the lot?

I mean surely it must be affecting his fitness?

Yeah that's another thing i don't get. I understand them managing him, i remember watching the videos on that story a couple years ago.

But surely somebody who does not train with the main group or undergoes next to no full training sessions during the week provides more output then a younger player who can do the lot?

I mean surely it must be affecting his fitness?

Yeah exactly.. Do not see the point really.

Would rather see Bennell, Carter & Yeo developed in the backline then trying to get Butler on the park.

Butler's strength seems to be his accurate short/medium kicking. He's often used on the last line of defence when we are doing a switch. His disposal is really quite good.

Is he somewhat similar to Ellis? I haven't seen enough of Ellis, although one difference I think is Ellis would play a bit further up the ground than Butler.

Neither Ellis nor Butler are that quick, so perhaps there is only space for one of them in the back 6/7.

I'm really interested to see our defenders in the NAB challenge, and to see who is named in round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Best 22 for 2014 + structures and strategies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back