Best 22 for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Keefe is definitely a backman for now imo. As for the new recruits... none of them are world beaters so I'd like to think they'd start off in the VFL and be made to earn their spots. Round 1 should be for the tried and trusted. Those who have been integral to the team should be given first option to hold their spots.. theirs to lose! I really hope Reid can play a whole year forward... having 2 60 goal a year forwards will be huge

The same response from another thead:

I gave our best side a crack:

FB Keefee, N.Brown, Toovey
HB Seedsman, Reid, O'Brien
C T.Adams, Beams, Sidebottom
HF Swan, J.White, Goldsack
FF Fasolo, Cloke, Elliott
FOL Grundy, Pendlebury, Ball

INT Macaffer, Karnezis, C.Young, J.Thomas

DEPTH (in no particular order): Witts, Q. Lynch, Maxwell, Hudson, B.Kennedy, B. Sinclair, Broomhead, K. Martin, Dwyer, M. Williams, Blair, Armstrong*

Now throw in picks 6 and 10 - makes for a very young team. I like it.

Fast forward a year, all the kids have another 15-20 games under their belt. Q. Lynch/Maxwell/Hudson out the door, a good trade or two (don't rate Sinclair/Kennedy too highly), cash in the salary cap to go for a gun free agent (Dangerfield!!!) - 2015 is looking really really good.

How does this look now if Maxwell isn't Captain

FB: Toovey, N.Brown, Williams
HB: O'brien , Reid, Goldsack
C: Sidebottom, Ball, Beams
HF: Karnezis, White, Fasolo
FF: Elliot, Cloke, Keefe
Rucks: Grundy, Swan, Pendlebury (Captain)
Interchange: Adams, Young, Blair, Macaffer
Emergencies: Maxwell, Thomas, Lynch

I actually really like the look of our backline without maxwell. I dont think he offers enough anymore.

Toovey and Williams are so stingey with the goals they let through, cant wait to see both working in tandem on the smalls.

Harry to return to a looser flanker. As suspect as people say Harry is 1 on 1 and could be exposed down there, he is miles ahead of Maxwell.

Looks good.

Especially with Heater gone, Reid needs to become a bit more of a rebounding defender/third tall again ala AA year.

Needs more Thomas though. You're underselling Joshy Thomas. Absolute gun in making.

Here i was defending Williams on his great b&f finishing. However i still have question marks over Macaffer as a tagger, id rather play Josh Thomas through the midfield

This is what I think the best 22 is:
FB Williams, N.Brown, Toovey
HB Seedsman, Keeffe, Reid
C Sidebottom, Beams, Young
HF Swan, J.White, Fasolo
FF Goldsack/Kennedy, Cloke, Elliott

INT O'Brien, Dywer, Adams, J.Thomas

Things I want to see:
-Fasolo to spend greater time in the midfield, which he had started doing early this year before injury struck.
-Reid to play primarily in the backline. I know he could be a 50 goal forward, but he is an All-Australian quality defender and would provide so much flexibility in our match ups down back with Brown and Keeffe. Would be lethal with his rebound when not having to worry about a key forward as an opponent.
-Maxwell to not get a game next year. Zero chance of that happening even without the captaincy. Unfortunately even without the captaincy I still see him getting ~15 games which is absolutely cringe worthy.
-Witts to get 10-12 games as that legitimate forward/ruck option or in the case when Grundy is rested, 1st ruck.
-Broomhead to break into the team on a half-forward or half back flank (preferably half forward) for at least 6-10 games. Could potentially play 15 games such is his potential.
-Kennedy to get 12-15 games in the forward line, improve his composure and lower his vision when entering 50.
-Kmart to build on his debut season with upwards of 10 games. Physically, he could play all season however those small/medium forward cum midfielder positions will be hotly contested next season. Essentially Kmart, Dywer, Broomhead, Kennedy and Fasolo are all competing for 2-3 positions.

FB: Keeffe, N.Brown, Toovey
HB: **Marley**, Reid, The Seed
C: Adams, Ball, Swan
HF: Sidebottom, J.White, Goldsack
FF: Fasolo, Cloke, Elliott
Foll: Grundy, Pendlebury, Beams

INT: Karnezis, Macaffer, Harry OHH, Thomas/Dwyer.

**=EDIT. Left the bloke out even though he's definitely best 22 now!

FB: Williams Brown Keefe
HB: Seeds Reid Tooooovs
C: Beams Ball OBrien
HF: Fasolo Cloke Sidey
FF: Elliott White Kennedy

Foll: Grundy Pendles Swan
Res: Goldy Caff Thomas/Adams Dwyer

Tough but enjoyable task:

FB: Toovey Brown Sinclair
HB: Keeffe Reid Williams
C: O'Brien Ball Young
HF: Beams Cloke Sidebottom
FF: Elliott White Fasolo
R: Grundy Swan Pendlebury
I: Adams Seedsman Macaffer Dwyer

So much choice, hopefully our injuries are very minimal next year and it's really tough every week!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was sure I wouldn't have Maxwell in my starting 18 but thought he might make the 22, but then when I got to the interchange and even emergencies he was squeezed out. No doubt he will play games but his best 22 days are gone I think.

yeah I know, I think ive made my post difficult to read, I don't think he belongs in the team, but if he is captain, he will have to be.

I've been in and out of the country the last few weeks so I've missed out on some news... Is it announced Maxwell will captain again?

If so, f*ck. I mean yeah, he's a good leader and he did so well in 2010 and I love him for it. But surely enough's enough. He plays 5 bad games to every 3 okay games to every 1 good game.

FB: Toovey, N.Brown, Goldsack
HB: Seedsmen, Keeffe, Sidebottom
C: O'brien, Ball, Beams
HF: White ,Reid, Macaffer
FF: Elliot, Cloke, Blair
Rucks: Grundy, Swan, Pendlebury (C)
Interchange: Adams, Williams, Thomas, Young

EMG, Karnezis, Maxwell, Fasolo

I have been one who has previously been extremely passionate about playing Reidy at CHB... but after watching the Semi Final vs port, Keefe is no good as a forward, and must play back.

I would start Reid forward, and see what happens... this isn't a bad problem to have.

B: N.Maxwell, N.Brown, A.Toovey
HB: S.Sidebottom, L.Keefe, M.Williams
C: H.O'brien, S.Pendlebury, C.Young
HF: A.Fasolo, B.Reid, J.Thomas
F: J.White, T.Cloke, J.Elliott
R: B.Grundy, D.Beams, D.Swan
I: T.Adams, L.Ball, B.Macaffer, J.Blair

EMG: T.Goldsack, P.Karnesis, S.Dwyer, B.Kennedy, Q.Lynch, P.Seedsman, T.Broomhead *pick 6, *Pick 10

lets face it... Maxwell if fit will play round one, despite everyones beliefs, so i have just put him in there. The team is beginning to long very young and promising, and i would look to see; Kennedy, Broomhead and the two guys we pick up this year to really make some positions their own in 2014.

Fun times ahead IMO.

Looks good.

Especially with Heater gone, Reid needs to become a bit more of a rebounding defender/third tall again ala AA year.

Needs more Thomas though. You're underselling Joshy Thomas. Absolute gun in making.

Was sorta thinking Tooves might take over Heaters role?

FB: A.Toovey, N.Brown, M.Williams
HB: P.Seedsman, B.Reid, L. Keefe
C: C. Young, L.Ball, S. Pendlebury
HF: D. Beams, J.White, P. Karnezis
FF: J. Elliot, T.Cloke, A.Fasolo
Ruck: B. Grundy, Swan, Pendlebury
Interchange: T.Adams, S.Dwyer, S.Pendlebury, B.Macaffer, J.Thomas,
Emergencies: N.Maxwell, J. Blair, Q.Lynch

I wish we had 2 Pendlebury's as well :p

Someone on ur mind? ;)

how about:

FB: Toovey Brown Williams
HB: O'Brien Keeffe Bontempelli

C: Young Beams Swan

HF: Fasolo White Lennon
FF: Elliot Cloke Reid

R: Grundy Ball Pendles

INT:
Adams
Sidebottom
J.Thomas

SUB:
Dwyer

EMG:
Seedsman
Kennedy
Broomhead

The same response from another thead:

I gave our best side a crack:

FB Keefee, N.Brown, Toovey
HB Seedsman, Reid, O'Brien
C T.Adams, Beams, Sidebottom
HF Swan, J.White, Goldsack
FF Fasolo, Cloke, Elliott

INT Macaffer, Karnezis, C.Young, J.Thomas

DEPTH (in no particular order): Witts, Q. Lynch, Maxwell, Hudson, B.Kennedy, B. Sinclair, Broomhead, K. Martin, Dwyer, M. Williams, Blair, Armstrong*

Now throw in picks 6 and 10 - makes for a very young team. I like it.

Fast forward a year, all the kids have another 15-20 games under their belt. Q. Lynch/Maxwell/Hudson out the door, a good trade or two (don't rate Sinclair/Kennedy too highly), cash in the salary cap to go for a gun free agent (Dangerfield!!!) - 2015 is looking really really good.

Good effort but can I just make a couple of observations:
  • probably need to swap O'Brien and Sidebottom as I cant see O'Brien going back to the flank after dominating on the wing this year
  • Williams has to squeeze into the backline. Not sure we need all 3 of brown, keefe & reid in the backline so maybe reid forward and goldsack to the bench
  • glad you didnt have maxwell in the starting 22. As good as he was up until 2011 season he hasnt played up to standard for 2 years now and really upsets our balance in the backline given he cant defend or rack up possessions anymore.
  • not sure you can have karnezis ahead of dwyer given he couldnt get a game for bris but we'll have to see how they perform in the nab cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back