Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

No need to replace Mena BUT if somehow we do find better options we will go very deep into Sept.

Not sure how pointing out one reason why the 4 players mentioned were selected to play means I don't rate any or all of them.
Anyway :
It would be nice to see what happens if Cockatoo and Scooter stand up, Constable gets traction and one of Dahlhous or Rohan gets cracking ( in Menegola case)).

Menegola averaged 24 disposals from a slow start 2018, and that's half his time at HFF.
Personally l don't think any of them will get near him.
I'd like to see him more midfield.

If that were true why was Cunico dropped? why didnt GHS get games or Thurlow

they might not be permanent solutions but they fill some needs

Because Menegola stayed fit .

The ones to push him out last year were Cockatoo and McCarthy.

GHS and Thurlow had proven themselves to be short of the standard GFC expected.

Cunico showed a bit but IMO was not ready and a little timid (like Parsons). Menegola had him easily covered

Because Menegola stayed fit .

The ones to push him out last year were Cockatoo and McCarthy.

GHS and Thurlow had proven themselves to be short of the standard GFC expected.

Cunico showed a bit but IMO was not ready and a little timid (like Parsons). Menegola had him easily covered

GHS had played a really good game before getting dropped, injuries had nothing to do with it.

You cant say injuries kept him in and then say its cos of form.

The reason Menegola is picked is because Chris Scott would rather a big body with poor skills over a smaller body with better skills.

It's the same reason why the others remain in the side also.

B graders dont get replaced by players who are better than them, they get replaced with someone who has more upside.

Cunico is allowed to be a little timid, he is an outside player.

Apart from the 1st Hawks game the times Danger played forward last year we lacked drive through the middle, and we're absolutely smashed on the score board, then when moved back on ball he sparked our come backs so the last thing I want to see is our best mid away from the action.

I completely disagree. We smashed Sydney in the semi final with Danger sitting at full forward most of the day. Last year he only rested forward and rarely missed center bounces. Considering for most of the year we were smashed around the centre I don't really see how moving him would hugely hurt us there.

I completely disagree. We smashed Sydney in the semi final with Danger sitting at full forward most of the day. Last year he only rested forward and rarely missed center bounces. Considering for most of the year we were smashed around the centre I don't really see how moving him would hugely hurt us there.
Watch us against Richmond and Melbourne this year and you'll see what I mean. We wouldn't beat either of them next year if Danger is FF.

Watch us against Richmond and Melbourne this year and you'll see what I mean. We wouldn't beat either of them next year if Danger is FF.

We played 5 games against those. We won the midfield battle in 2 out of those 5. They were round 1 against Melbourne when Dangerfield didn't play and round 13 against the Tigers when Danger's impact wasn't huge (only 20 touches and only 2 out of 17 centre clearances). In the others we were dominated depite Dangerfield playing mich bigger roles.

Look at the games where he got 8+ clearances. They were: West Coast away, Carlton at home, Adelaide away, Melbourne at home, Richmond in round 20 and Hawthorn in round 21. We were easily second best in all those games except West Coast and Carlton which was arguably our worst performance of the year. In our best performances (Melbourne round 1, Sydney away, Port away, Richmond the first time, Collingwood) he got far fewer clearances and played less time in midfield. Last year Dangerfield playing a lot in the midfield was actually correlated with us playing badly not playing well. His importance to our midfield is vastly overstated.

We played 5 games against those. We won the midfield battle in 2 out of those 5. They were round 1 against Melbourne when Dangerfield didn't play and round 13 against the Tigers when Danger's impact wasn't huge (only 20 touches and only 2 out of 17 centre clearances). In the others we were dominated depite Dangerfield playing mich bigger roles.

Look at the games where he got 8+ clearances. They were: West Coast away, Carlton at home, Adelaide away, Melbourne at home, Richmond in round 20 and Hawthorn in round 21. We were easily second best in all those games except West Coast and Carlton which was arguably our worst performance of the year. In our best performances (Melbourne round 1, Sydney away, Port away, Richmond the first time, Collingwood) he got far fewer clearances and played less time in midfield. Last year Dangerfield playing a lot in the midfield was actually correlated with us playing badly not playing well. His importance to our midfield is vastly overstated.

Or if we where losing we would keep Dangerfield in the midfield for more minutes. When we were winning our coaches felt more comfortable to send him forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, Cowan was woeful, not even VFL material.

But agree, Parsons needs work on his game if he wants to be Best 22. I still have some hope for him, he's only 21.

Totally agree with Cowan, as for Parsons.
I’ve seen enough of him to say IMO he won’t play much football in the ones this year.
If he’s going to improve he needs to sit in the VFL for a year and not get gifted games, same go’s for Simpson
Both shouldn’t have any AFL games under their belt at this stage

I think Dahlhaus is looking rejuvenated in the Cats environment, I think his form will improve from his past season.

I think Rohan will be rated internally, but not so much from the supporter base due to our obsession with the statistics. I think he will do his job, but I'm not expecting anything more than 12 touches a game from him, perhaps a goal a game, and some good run-down tackling.
Direct quote from a member of the recruiting team: “Rohan was dirt cheap, and is a bit of a punt”

Or if we where losing we would keep Dangerfield in the midfield for more minutes. When we were winning our coaches felt more comfortable to send him forward

Is the suggestion that he helped us do well and then they took him out of midfield? That doesn't really match with the results. The games where our midfield did really well we didn't really open up a gap on the opposition. Port away and Sydney away were tight in the last quarter. Richmond the first time was close all day until they kicked away late and Melbourne he didn't play so wasn't responsible for the lead we opened up. Collingwood's the only match against a good team where we really opened up alead early.

I agree that when games were close or we were behind we rarely if ever moved Danger out of midfield. The problem is that it didn't work and there was a clear correlation between Danger getting lots of clearances and the team struggling.

You do remember he won a Brownlow playing in the midfield don't you?
A fully fit Danger would be the best midfielder in the comp.

Yes I do. There's absolutely no doubt that he can do incredible things to win the footy. But he's also perhaps the least accountable midfielder in the league. And when it matters in finals he's been found out time and time again leaving our defence exposed by making really poor mistakes. The fact is when he was fully fit and played as a midfielder in finals he's been a liability. Yes he can do the incredible and against poor teams he looks great because his mistakes aren't punished but he's yet to play a decent final as a midfielder (if you say the Sydney PF in 2016 then look at the first quarter where his mistakes directly led to most of their goals and the game being finished as a contest).

The fact is we need to improve as a team in finals. The best way to do that is to look at the worst performing part of the team when we lose finals and that has been the midfield, and more specifically Dangerfield, every single time. We know he's a brilliant forward and we know his defensive frailty will hurt us less there and the one time we tried it in finals it worked brilliantly. I know it's a crazy idea but maybe if we want to fix our finals problems we should start by doing the thing that worked so well when we actually had a great win in a final recently.

Yes I do. There's absolutely no doubt that he can do incredible things to win the footy. But he's also perhaps the least accountable midfielder in the league. And when it matters in finals he's been found out time and time again leaving our defence exposed by making really poor mistakes. The fact is when he was fully fit and played as a midfielder in finals he's been a liability. Yes he can do the incredible and against poor teams he looks great because his mistakes aren't punished but he's yet to play a decent final as a midfielder (if you say the Sydney PF in 2016 then look at the first quarter where his mistakes directly led to most of their goals and the game being finished as a contest).

The fact is we need to improve as a team in finals. The best way to do that is to look at the worst performing part of the team when we lose finals and that has been the midfield, and more specifically Dangerfield, every single time. We know he's a brilliant forward and we know his defensive frailty will hurt us less there and the one time we tried it in finals it worked brilliantly. I know it's a crazy idea but maybe if we want to fix our finals problems we should start by doing the thing that worked so well when we actually had a great win in a final recently.
To say that Danger is the worst performing part of the team when we lose finals is ridiculous. Best MID in the comp.

Is the suggestion that he helped us do well and then they took him out of midfield? That doesn't really match with the results. The games where our midfield did really well we didn't really open up a gap on the opposition. Port away and Sydney away were tight in the last quarter. Richmond the first time was close all day until they kicked away late and Melbourne he didn't play so wasn't responsible for the lead we opened up. Collingwood's the only match against a good team where we really opened up alead early.

I agree that when games were close or we were behind we rarely if ever moved Danger out of midfield. The problem is that it didn't work and there was a clear correlation between Danger getting lots of clearances and the team struggling.
You should really go back and watch the games from this season when Danger was played forward to see just how bad we got smashed at centre clearances. He spent full quarters forward without even touching the ball because we couldn't win it in there and get it to him. He is wasted forward. To suggest the team struggles because Danger is playing midfield is crazy.

You should really go back and watch the games from this season when Danger was played forward to see just how bad we got smashed at centre clearances. He spent full quarters forward without even touching the ball because we couldn't win it in there and get it to him. He is wasted forward. To suggest the team struggles because Danger is playing midfield is crazy.
And here i was thinking am i the only one to see that.

I do agree with this to some extent, but at the same time I think we need to be developing our next batch of midfielders for these contests where possible - and giving them Danger as a forward target is only a good thing.

That said we shouldn't ever be dogmatic about these things, and when needed in the middle get him back in there.

This is what I'm thinking.

Danger around 70% midfield, and 30% forward.
Dahlhaus/Menegola/Guthrie/Constable/Duncan balancing the remaining 30%.

Joel S around 50% midfield, and 50% defence.
Parfitt around 50% midfield, and 50% forward.

GAJ around 20% midfield, 80% forward.
Kelly around 80% midfield, 20% forward.

Or something like that, maybe give the "group of five" above more time as a rotation, pending injuries or match-ups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back