This team will make the finals.

B: Plowman----------------Jones------------------Marchbank

H: Williams---------------Weitering----------------Saad

C: Cuningham-------------Cripps------------------O'Brien

H: Martin-----------------C.Curnow---------------McGovern

F: Owies-------------------McKay------------------Honey

Foll: De Koning, *Cerra, Walsh

Bench: Docherty, *Hewett, Dow, Silvagni

Emerg: Pittonet, *Young, Williamson, Newman, E.Curnow, Kennedy, Stocker, Setterfield, Kemp, Fisher, McDonald
giphy.gif

Although I'd probably have Stocker in their somewhere.

This team will make the finals.

B: Plowman----------------Jones------------------Marchbank

H: Williams---------------Weitering----------------Saad

C: Cuningham-------------Cripps------------------O'Brien

H: Martin-----------------C.Curnow---------------McGovern

F: Owies-------------------McKay------------------Honey

Foll: De Koning, *Cerra, Walsh

Bench: Docherty, *Hewett, Dow, Silvagni

Emerg: Pittonet, *Young, Williamson, Newman, E.Curnow, Kennedy, Stocker, Setterfield, Kemp, Fisher, McDonald

Stocker is best 22 all day same as Fish.

Docherty unsure cause of health.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know there’s still two rounds to go, trade period, draft and another pre-season…

Frankly, I had enough of this cursed season and looking forward to the next season.

We are likely to have a new coach and a different game plan.
Yep, lots of changes to come.
But, why not have a quick look at our best 22 for 2022.

I’m assuming that everyone is fit and ready to go, with the obvious retirements.
We are due for a bit of luck on the injury fronts!

Here are my thoughts – what are yours?
Having done my 22, yeah we could do with Cerra in the middle :D

FB: Plowman - Jones - Williams
HB: Saad - Weitering - Stocker
C: Docherty - Cripps - Martin
HF: Cunningham – C.Curnow - Fisher
FF: Owie - McKay - Honey

R: TDK - Walsh - Dow
Int: Kemp - JSOS – Fogarty – McGovern

Unlucky/ Depth
Newman – I just can’t find a spot for him
Kennedy – Should he play instead of Cunningham?
Marchbank - Super talented, but who knows
O'Brien – Is he sticking around?
SPS – Is he sticking around?

I’m not sold on these guys:
Michael Gibbons
Jack Newnes
Tom Williamson
Will Setterfield
Mark Pittonett

Kids (Let them earn their opportunities with no pressure)
Durdin
Carroll
Ramsay
Parks
Philp

Now that we've got a few new players, let me try to have another go at the best 22.

FB: Plowman - Jones - Williams
HB: Saad - Weitering - Stocker
C: Docherty - Cripps - Cerra
HF:
Cunningham – C.Curnow - Martin
FF: Fisher - McKay - Honey

R: TDK - Walsh - Hewett
Int:
Kemp - JSOS – Dow – McGovern
Emg: Fogarty, E. Curnow, Young, Newman

Now compare this best 22 for 2022 to our Round 23 team
Whoa - that's 10 players changes, almost half a team!!!

Just look at the ins and outs.
Some very handy ins indeed (bolded), but no noticeable outs :D

In: Cerra, Hewett, Docherty, Cunningham, Martin, JSOS, Williams, Jones, McKay, Dow
Out: Newman, Williamson, LOB, Betts, Durdin, Fogarty, Newnes, E. Curnow, Levi, Kennedy

I'm really excited now, with a new game plan and bit of injury luck we are finals bound for 2022 - bring it on!!!

Round 23 2021

Backs:Liam StockerJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Adam SaadLachie PlowmanTom Williamson
Centreline:Jack NewnesPatrick CrippsLochie O'Brien
Half-forwards:Ed CurnowCharlie CurnowEddie Betts
Forwards:Mitch McGovernLevi CasboultCorey Durdin
Followers:Tom De KoningMatt KennedySam Walsh
Interchange:Brodie KempZac FisherLachie Fogarty
Josh Honey

1633601017144.png

Here's how I see the starting 22 right at this minute, obviously we will pickup a couple of draftees still and we will make a few more cuts. I haven't considered Marchbank, Doch or Cuningham, as none of them are likely to be available Round 1. If fit, I'd hope to see Doch playing more on a wing.

The ones that are most fringe are LOB, Fish and Kemp. LOB and Fish need to start the year and grab the oppotunity with both hands, otherwise it's time to move on from them both, as painful as that may be. Kemp just needs more opportunity - I feel like he should get a run of games to prove he belongs in the side.

Kennedy is unlucky to miss out - his to the year was great, but I feel we need to give LOB a solid chance on a wing to see if he is worth persisting with. Otherwise Hewett or Walsh moves to a wing and Kennedy comes in.

Off the bench are 4 that can run through the middle / back. I'd also be bringing Williams, Fisher and Martin in for some Centre bounces and resting Cripps and Cerra forward.

I've listed the depth roughly in terms of where I see them in the pecking order, obviously it will come down to where opportunities come up on the ground. Pitto will play a fair few games for us next year. I've preferred JSOS to Mcgovern, but expect he will play for us a fair bit if fit. Setterfield feels a long way down the list now, mainly because I feel he is limited in where he can play.

I get the feeling next year is about Voss really getting to know the list - I'd expect to see a few from the development list get games. Wouldn't surprise me to see Durdin a regular by years end. Hopefully we get to see Philp and Carroll at some point.

alright I want to have another crack at this... because who wants to work when there's a best 22 to be speculated on.

Stocker Jones Plowman

Saad Weitering Williams

Docherty Cripps O'Brien

Martin C.Curnow Fisher

Honey McKay Silvagni (2nd ruck)

Foll
DeKonig Cerra Walsh

Interchange:
Newman
McGovern
Hewett
Dow or Kennedy (leaning towards Dow, only because he's a bit more of a point of difference then Kennedy)

A lot to like here with Williamson, E.Curnow, Durdin, Kemp, Fogarty, Owies, Young, Pittonet, Setterfield all providing some great depth.

alright I want to have another crack at this... because who wants to work when there's a best 22 to be speculated on.

Stocker Jones Plowman

Saad Weitering Williams

Docherty Cripps O'Brien

Martin C.Curnow Fisher

Honey McKay Silvagni (2nd ruck)

Foll
DeKonig Cerra Walsh

Interchange:
Newman
McGovern
Hewett
Dow or Kennedy (leaning towards Dow, only because he's a bit more of a point of difference then Kennedy)

A lot to like here with Williamson, E.Curnow, Durdin, Kemp, Fogarty, Owies, Young, Pittonet, Setterfield all providing some great depth.
O'Brien - what do ppl like about a player who is weak in the contest & frightened to body tackle...who is incredibly ordinary in all components/attributes except kicking

Stocker weitering Young
Williams Jones Saad
Walsh Kennedy O’Brien
Fisher Curnow Honey
McGovern McKay Owies

TDK Cerra Cripps

Dow JSOS Hewett Kemp

Emergency: Newman Philp Curnow

injured: marchbank Docherty Cuningham

Unlucky: Fogarty Carroll Plowman Martin Pittonet Durdin Willo setterfield Newnes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone can’t see durdin in best 22 cannot be serious. Kid is perfect small forward.
He certainly has potential but is he ahead of Martin Owies Fogarty Honey or Ed Curnow and Silvagni all expected to be vying for the pockets and half forward roles? Not yet but maybe by year end who knows

Think you missed my point, I prefer a ruckman, that is also a threat forward, hence preferring Young forward
Is that the role that has been sold to him at CFC though?
I thought it was to be a more KPD type of role

Unless we plan on playing Pitto and TDK in the same team (which is possible) Young will be best 22 for the simple fact that we need a second ruckman in the team now that Casboult is gone. Young will be perfect for us because he'll be able to play in defense as a intercept defender/third tall and then swing into the middle as needed.

BEST 22:
B: Stocker, Weitering, Young
HB: Williams, Jones, Saad
C: Newman, Walsh, O’Brien
HF: McGovern, C Curnow, Martin
F: Honey, McKay, JSOS
R: De Koning, Cripps, Cerra
INT: Hewett, Kennedy, Dow, Kemp

EMERGENCIES:
Ed Curnow, Plowman, Owies, Pittonet

INJURED (But otherwise Best 22)
Docherty (BP/HBF/W), Marchbank (BP), Cuningham (On ball)

UNLUCKY:
Fogarty, Durdin, Williamson, Setterfield, Newnes, McDonald

UNPROVEN:
Carroll, Parks, Philp, Mirkov

NOT TO STANDARD:
Cottrell - happy to be proven wrong though.

POTENTIAL ROLE CHANGES:
Stocker - Move to on-ball (Listed as a back pocket for purpose of starting 18)
Newman - Move to the wing
Kemp - Move to on-ball

Last edited:
He certainly has potential but is he ahead of Martin Owies Fogarty Honey or Ed Curnow and Silvagni all expected to be vying for the pockets and half forward roles? Not yet but maybe by year end who knows
Think he would be competing with Owies and perhaps forgarty. I like Owies. Always gives 100% and kicks straight under pressure as well. Kicking distance is a bit of problem for him. Maybe could do with a bit more burst speed.

Fogarty is a bit inconsistent. Will have to wait and see.

Looking forward to seeing how durdin goes over a longer run but I was really impressed with his games at the end of this season. Tenacious and good burst speed.

BEST 22:
B: Stocker, Weitering, Young
HB: Williams, Jones, Saad
C: Newman, Walsh, O’Brien
HF: McGovern, C Curnow, Martin
F: Honey, McKay, JSOS
R: De Koning, Cripps, Cerra
INT: Hewett, Kennedy, Dow, Kemp

EMERGENCIES:
Ed Curnow, Plowman, Owies, Pittonet

INJURED (But otherwise Best 22)
Docherty (BP/HBF/W), Marchbank (BP), Cuningham (On ball)

UNLUCKY:
Fogarty, Durdin, Williamson, Setterfield, Newnes, McDonald

UNPROVEN:
Carroll, Parks, Philp, Mirkov

NOT TO STANDARD:
Cottrell - happy to be proven wrong though.

POTENTIAL ROLE CHANGES:
Stocker - Move to on-ball (Listed as a back pocket for purpose of starting 18)
Newman - Move to the wing
Kemp - Move to on-ball
Very good. Maybe durdin could replace Owies.

O'Brien - what do ppl like about a player who is weak in the contest & frightened to body tackle...who is incredibly ordinary in all components/attributes except kicking
Runs all day and his attack on the ball has improved.

His kicking ability is just about the best at the club. He just needs continuity at afl level and on the wing specifically.

Unless we plan on playing Pitto and TDK in the same team (which is possible) Young will be best 22 for the simple fact that we need a second ruckman in the team now that Casboult is gone. Young will be perfect for us because he'll be able to play in defense as a intercept defender/third tall and then swing into the middle as needed.
Might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd persist with JSOS as our 2nd ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Best 22 for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back