dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Apologies if this is already a thread, but I couldn't find one so **** it. Let's have a crack at what our round 1 side is going to look like.

AFL side:

Hurn - Barrass - Cole
Hunt - McGovern - Duggan
Chesser - Yeo - Gaff
Hough - Allen - Cripps
Ryan - Darling - Williams

Naitanui - Shuey - Kelly
Sheed - Bazzo - Petrucelle - Culley

Emerg: Jones - H. Edwards - L. Edwards - Jamieson

Beagles round 1:

Witherden - Hedwards - Jones
Foley - Rotham - ?
L. Edwards - Clark - ?
SPS - Waterman - Winder(?)
? - J. Williams - ?

Jamieson - O'Neill - West

• With the recruitment of Hunt and O'Brien's suggestion that his acquisition helps free up players into other roles, I'm going to assume the intention is for Yeo to play midfield.
  • I'll start Shuey in the midfield although I'm sure we will see him move back and around as the games and rounds progress.
  • With Barrass and Gov reunited I think Bazzo wins the race for third tall as he offers a bit more rebound than Edwards.
  • Hough to play mostly on the wing and potentially as a high half forward where he has played plenty prior to being drafted.
  • Obviously this is being done prior to drafts but I suspect we may see a Hewett/Ginbey/Philippou in line for an early debut if we pick them.
  • The re-introduction of Cole along with Hunt squeezes out the unlucky Jamaine Jones.
  • Looking at the obvious gaps forward of centre in that Beagles side we should probably expect to be drafting a natural forward in this year's draft, and this may possibly be why we haven't seen Winder delisted (yet).
  • That WAFL side looks far more competitive if we don't have a ludicrous injury run this year.
  • I've probably forgotten someone obvious.

Hurn - Barrass - Duggan
Hunt - McGovern - Yeo

Cheeser - Sheed - Gaff

Hough - Allen - Cripps

Naitanui - Shuey - Kelly

Int. Cole - Bazzo - Jones - Culley

Emg: Xon, Ledwards, Hedwards, Jamo

Notes:

I would stick Jones down front to replace Willies role as that HFF/Mid and rotate with Kelly and Shuey. He was good down back with his pace but we have Hunt and Yeo down there to offer better options of a quicker backline.

Can't see Chesser playing round 1. Would be happy if he debuts at all at this stage.

Hurn - Barrass - Cole
Hunt - Gov - Duggan

#2 Sheed - Kelly - Gaff

Jones - Allen - Cripps

Nic - Yeo - Shuey

Bazzo, Culley, Petrol, Hough

What I would like to see. Dont think I will- have left out Hurn and Gaff and suspect they will be named if fit but I would like to prioritise youth (comparitively speaking) and speed out of the backline so JJ and Yeo are there. I'd also like to see Hough and Hunt operating out on the wings rather than HBF, as reckon they could really help our transition from the backline to the forwards if played a little further up the ground. Kelly and Sheed in the midfield are probably a bit slow and run one way, hoping that Culley can bring the grunt and 2 way running with Shuey and Oneil to rotate through. Still a weak area for us. Yeo to pinch hit and shitmix some campaigner if required but would rather he stay back. Williams gets first crack at NN backup. Bazzo - just gotta get him in. Petro, would give him first crack this year- started to show something last year before the hammies twanged. XOn-- really coming along IMO, will play the redden role.

FB: Cole Barrass Duggan

HB: Yeo Gov JJ

C: Hunt Kelly Hough

HF: Cripps Darling Shuey

FF: Ryan Allen Waterman

Foll: NN Culley Sheed

Bench: Bazzo B Williams Petro XOn

FB Hurn Barrass Cole
HB Duggan McGovern Jones
C Hunt Kelly Gaff
HF Shuey Allen Cripps
FF Ryan Darling Williams
R Naitanu Yeo Sheed
INT Hough Bazzo Culley Petruccelle
EMG L Edwards Waterman O'Neill Jamieson
WAFL Chesser Foley H Edwards J Williams Clark Rotham Witherden Petrevski-Seton West

Too early for this until we see who we draft and who has the capacity to play round 1.

Ginbey for example.

#jettawhatsthepoint

We’re probably talking about 1-2 players max though, I wouldn’t say it’s too early. Mapping out both 22s for next year is a good way of seeing where the gaping holes are also.

#45minsaday

Gaping hole is easy for mine...

Small forwards.

Unless defender Jones goes back to his OG role, our crafty "zippy" forwards are Ryan and Cripps. Likely there's going to be a midfielder hidden down there as well.

Yeah agreed. He’s not a small but I would love to get Tholstrup next year. I’d draft him this year if we could.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O’Neil is being stitched up by some in here, he’s earned a starting role for mine next year.
Yeah a little but he's only borderline best 22.

He played 11 games last season and played 3 or 4 good ones without really cementing his spot. I still think he needs to prove he can play consistently well before he's a lock in the best 22. Seemed to have a good game followed by a quiet game. Avg 14.5 disposals a game with only one game above 20 and with a lot more mid time this season.

I liked that he was willing to do some work off the ball with some blocks and tackles. He's contested game was much improved. Big year coming up for him

Last edited:
Gee I actually feel excited looking at Eagles team list on paper (desperate WCE supporter?). Makes me appreciate how many injuries and COVID changes we actually did have last year. Glad Redden is gone, think it free's up alot more flexibility to fit in some of our younger generation. Possibly Shuey/Hurns last year?

Duggan - Barrass - Cole
Hunt - Gov - Jones
Kelly - Sheed - Gaff
Hough - Allen - Waterman
Ryan - Darling - Petrol

Natanui - Yeo - Shuey

Witherden - Culley - Oniel - Williams

Cripps most unlucky to miss, but dont think he will be there for next GF.

Mix up's would include:
Witho -> Hurn
Petrol -> Cripps
Culley -> West or Clark
Hough -> Cripps or Bazzo
Shuey (Inj) -> L.Edwards or West or Clark
Jones -> Cripps (requires Hough or Witherden to move into backline)

FB - Hurn, Barrass, Cole
HB - Yeo, McGovern, Hunt
C - Hough, Culley, Gaff
HF - Shuey, Allen, Cripps
FF - Ryan, Darling, B. Williams
R - Natanui, Kelly, Sheed
INT - Duggan, Jones, Bazzo, Waterman
EMERG - Petrucelle, XON, L Edwards, H Edwards

Shuey on HFF with stints on the ball
Yeo to stay at HBF

Definately a few spots up for grabs, need a small forward, a HFF/ Mid and a pure mid.
I have gone waterman over petrucelle, a small fwd would be good here.
Culley & Jones spot in the team up for grabs as well - XON unlucky.

FB - Hurn Barrass Duggan
HB - Cole McGovern Yeo
C - Gaff Shuey Hough
HF - Cripps Allen Hunt
FF - Ryan Darling Petrucelle
R - NN Kelly Sheed

I - Jones Chesser Waterman BW

Has Chesser played against adults yet? If not, I can't see him lining up in Round 1.

If we can get him playing roughly half of 2023 that's probably a win and then obviously a view to permanent best 22 in 2024.

Has Chesser played against adults yet? If not, I can't see him lining up in Round 1.

If we can get him playing roughly half of 2023 that's probably a win and then obviously a view to permanent best 22 in 2024.
He was tipped for a round 1 gig this season and is a big unit, so I don’t see why not

B- Yeo Barrass Bazzo
HB- Duggan McGovern Hunt
C- Gaff Sheed Hough
HF- Ryan Darling Petrucclle
F- Cripps Allen Waterman
FOLL- Naitanui Culley Kelly
I/C- Shuey, Chesser, Jamieson, Cole, L.Edwards
Emerg- B.Williams, Jones, O’Neil, H.Edwards, Clark, Witherdan

This is not necessarily best 22, but the 22 I'd like to see played round 1:

B: Cole Barrass(C) Bazzo
HB: Hunt McGovern Jones
C: Sheed Culley Hough
HF: Shuey Darling Ryan
F: Cripps Allen(VC) Waterman
R: Naitanui Kelly Yeo
IC: BWilliams Chesser Duggan O'neill

Shuey mainly getting a game out of respect, but could be changed with Petrucelle.

Edit: put Hough on the bench (his stunt double), changed to O'neill.

Last edited:

IC: BWilliams Chesser Duggan Hough

Shuey mainly getting a game out of respect, but could be changed with Petrucelle.

Going the double Hough!!

This is good. I think realistically Gaff and Hurn will play though.

-Just realised you said not necessarily best 22, so disregard.

Last edited:

Shuey should be playing unless injured, realistically he's still currently one of our best mids. Only thing I'd like to see is for him to spend some time in the forward line. If he's only good as a reserve from the beginning of the season, he ought to just retire.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back