Hurn Barrass Hough
Duggan McGovern Yeo
Gaff Clark Hunt
Cripps Allen Shuey
Jones Darling Ryan

Naitanui Kelly Culley

Int: Hewett, B Williams, Sheed, Chesser

Emg: O'Niel, SPS, H Edwards, Basso, Cole

That is a fairly quick side. One less tall we usually play and one extra mid on the bench.

Waterman I dont see being fit early.

Hurn Barrass Hough
Duggan McGovern Yeo
Gaff Clark Hunt
Cripps Allen Shuey
Jones Darling Ryan

Naitanui Kelly Culley

Int: Hewett, B Williams, Sheed, Chesser

Emg: O'Niel, SPS, H Edwards, Basso, Cole

That is a fairly quick side. One less tall we usually play and one extra mid on the bench.

Waterman I dont see being fit early.
XON is miles better than Clark.

FB Hurn Barrass Cole
HB Yeo McGovern Jones
C Gaff Culley Hunt
HF Cripps Darling Waterman
FF Ryan Allen Petrucelle
R Naitanui Kelly Shuey
IC Hough Duggan B.Williams Chesser Hewett
E L.Edwards Ginbey Bazzo SPS

XON is miles better than Clark.

We havent seen the best of either player.

Clark was severely hampered by the shoulder surgery he needed this time last year as well.

So if he's fit I can see Clark being afforded the opportunity to play in his preferred position round 1. Whether he keeps his spot is up to h8m.

We havent seen the best of either player.

Clark was severely hampered by the shoulder surgery he needed this time last year as well.

So if he's fit I can see Clark being afforded the opportunity to play in his preferred position round 1. Whether he keeps his spot is up to h8m.

The challenge for Clark getting a game seems to rely upon Shuey - where he plays.

Clark is a mid, mostly inside mid (but obviously has played outside as a junior... too slow for that at AFL level you would think, but sadly our match committee have done stranger things than this with players). He can't go on the HFF though.

So if Shuey were to take Clark's spot in the selected side you put up, I'd think Hewett, Petch or Waterman come in to that HFF spot (if Hewett then one of the others on the bench) and Clark finds himself in the WAFL.

It's probably an unfortunate precarious position for him in 2023 (guessing Shuey and possibly Cripps retire at the end of the year, so he may have more chance in 2024 - but is also a good chance to be off the list due to limited opportunity).

I find myself strangely less interested in the best 22 line up and drawn to what will be different in 2023 and how our side is selected with a new game plan whilst playing enough youngsters.

Simpson, King Nissie I and Fitzpatrick are all likely to say we expect a rebound and to be playing finals. In 2023, finals feels irrelevant.

The big questions for me are-

Who and how do we speed up the game plan?

Will our WAFL team reflect a similar plan?

Will the MC have selection integrity? Will senior players with credits have to come back fully fit via the WAFL?

Will our defence still guard space and will Gov play the lose man interceptor role?

What focus will there be in taking on the corridor?

Will it be more of Hurn kicking long to the right near the boundary or will he start hitting up good marking targets outside the 50m arc?

Hunt has been brought in help move the ball faster out of defence. Can Rotham change from being the momentum killer or if he WAFL bound?

Yeo and JJ were trialled in 2022 on the hbf with a licence play faster. It came with risk so will we persist.

We are losing contested football at stoppages so will Gaff Kelly and Sheed still be at the coal face? Can they actually tackle and win their own ball?

The difference in hit outs to advantage when NicNat rucks is stark - will we go with different stoppage line ups when NicNat is resting.

How much accountability on 2 way running for our forwards?

Can Waterman find his role or is it best at WAFL and as a fill in?

Shuey, Sheed and Kelly are also very good half forwards- do they relinquish larger amounts of midfield minutes?

Will it be Jack or Oscar as a deeper forward?

Hough and Bazzo were highlights in 2022 as was Culley late. Add in Chesser, Hewett and Ginbey as the most ready, how will Simmo manage the transition?

I’ll be happy seeing 2023 as transition. It will need to be for both our AFL and WAFL teams.

Last edited:
12 players that more than likely won't be in the Best 22 or retired/delisted from the last game R23 Vs Geelong

Redden, Langdon, SPS, O'neill, H Edwards, J Nelson, Foley, Dixon, Rotham, Clark, Rioli, Bazzo

Best 22 with the bolded players not playing in the last game with Hunt & Hewett to debut

Hurn Barrass Cole
Hunt McGovern
Duggan
Sheed Kelly Gaff
Shuey Allen Cripps
Petro Darling Ryan

NicNat, Yeo Culley

Hewett Jones Williams Hough

Last edited:

1670387959824.png

So according to Simmo, there will be an 80% change in the line up from the last game in 2022 to the first in 2023. If I was to hold the firm 80%, then we can expect only 5 players to hold their spot!!!

Of the 22 last year, 4 have left the club (Redden, Rioli, Dixon and Nelson)

I would have thought there are 9 (Hurn, Barrass, Duggan, Kelly, Cripps, Darling, Ryan, Williams and Shuey) as certainties in a best 22 for the Norf game. That is nearly 60% retaining their spot! The likes of Culley and Bazzo are arguably also in a best 23, or at least my best 23. That would mean that half are likely to change (80% was probably an exaggeration).

Obvious changes (assuming they are fit) are NicNat, Allen, Yeo, Sheed, Cole, Guv and Gaff - a total of 7.

So we are up to 9 definite keep, 2 likely keep and 7 obvious inclusions, that means there are 5 positions up for grabs.

B: Hurn Barass Duggan
HB: Hunt McGovern Jones
C: Gaff Kelly Hough
HF: Shuey Allen Cripps
F: Ryan Darling Waterman
R: Naitanui Culley Yeo
INT: Williams, Hewett, Sheed, Cole
SUB: Chesser
E: Bazzo, Foley, XON, Petch

I like the idea of Shuey, Sheed rotating forward and yeo rotating back to give midfield minutes to our younger guys.

Bit of a guess at this time of the year who gets picked round 1 from our youth, just hoping they stay fit and competition for spots is hot af 🔥

Easy W against norf if all fit

View attachment 1569016

So according to Simmo, there will be an 80% change in the line up from the last game in 2022 to the first in 2023. If I was to hold the firm 80%, then we can expect only 5 players to hold their spot!!!

Of the 22 last year, 4 have left the club (Redden, Rioli, Dixon and Nelson)

I would have thought there are 9 (Hurn, Barrass, Duggan, Kelly, Cripps, Darling, Ryan, Williams and Shuey) as certainties in a best 22 for the Norf game. That is nearly 60% retaining their spot! The likes of Culley and Bazzo are arguably also in a best 23, or at least my best 23. That would mean that half are likely to change (80% was probably an exaggeration).

Obvious changes (assuming they are fit) are NicNat, Allen, Yeo, Sheed, Cole, Guv and Gaff - a total of 7.

So we are up to 9 definite keep, 2 likely keep and 7 obvious inclusions, that means there are 5 positions up for grabs.
We should sack Simmo for this blatant lie

The challenge for Clark getting a game seems to rely upon Shuey - where he plays.

Clark is a mid, mostly inside mid (but obviously has played outside as a junior... too slow for that at AFL level you would think, but sadly our match committee have done stranger things than this with players). He can't go on the HFF though.

So if Shuey were to take Clark's spot in the selected side you put up, I'd think Hewett, Petch or Waterman come in to that HFF spot (if Hewett then one of the others on the bench) and Clark finds himself in the WAFL.

It's probably an unfortunate precarious position for him in 2023 (guessing Shuey and possibly Cripps retire at the end of the year, so he may have more chance in 2024 - but is also a good chance to be off the list due to limited opportunity).

Clark for a bench spot would be interesting as he is tall, 194cm. Can play half back or half forward if needed to cover a injury during a match. Provides a rotation option for Culley and Sheed on ball.

This means we could pick another runner on our bench and not a tall.

Interchange being:

1 Ruck / forward
2 Clark utility covering tall mids, talls / medium talls back and forward
3 Mid
4 Mid

Bergeil is another very flexible interchange player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark for a bench spot would be interesting as he is tall, 194cm. Can play half back or half forward if needed to cover a injury during a match. Provides a rotation option for Culley and Sheed on ball.

This means we could pick another runner on our bench and not a tall.

Interchange being:

1 Ruck / forward
2 Clark utility covering tall mids, talls / medium talls back and forward
3 Mid
4 Mid

Bergeil is another very flexible interchange player.
If Clark gets a game over Hewett/Ginbey/Chesser I’ll vomit.

If Clark gets a game over Hewett/Ginbey/Chesser I’ll vomit.
Maybe wait to see how preseason goes first

Chesser hasn’t played a game against men ever, unless you count the 5 minutes or less he was on the ground in the preseason hit out before breaking his ankle. So he’s a long way from being match fit and I think he’ll be eased into the season

Ginbey and Hewett have played WAFL league but they’re both still raw and will have plenty of opportunity once the season gets going. Not the worst thing for them to find their feet in the WAFL initially keeping in mind they won’t be doing full training this side of Christmas

Clark is actually training really well. Looks a little leaner and is covering plenty of ground. Not saying he’s a lock for round 1 by any stretch, but he’d be a chance and that’s not necessarily a bad thing

I would be disappointed if Clark got a game ahead of Culley though

I still reckon Simmo will easily favour the highly rated young blokes like Chesser, Hewett & Ginbey over Clark, as long as they have a good preason and look ready. Culley would be a given.
Clark is more likely compete for a spot against guys like West, XON, SPS, maybe Luke Edwards.

My starting team 2023

Shannon Hurn, Tom Barrass, Tom Cole

Rhett Bazzo, Jeremy McGovern, Elliot Yeo

Brady Hough, Luke Shuey, Jayden Hunt

Jack Petruccelle, Oscar Allen, Elijah Hewett

Liam Ryan, Jack Darling, Jamie Cripp
s
Nic Naitanui, Tim Kelly, Jai Culley

Liam Duggan, Xavier O'Neill, Callum Jamieson, Jamaine Jones/Campbell Chesser

*Ginbey to start WAFL unless burns up the track pre-season. Then replace LD or XO

*Gaff start WAFL

*I couldn't fit Sheed in the starting side.

My starting team 2023

Shannon Hurn, Tom Barrass, Tom Cole

Rhett Bazzo, Jeremy McGovern, Elliot Yeo

Brady Hough, Luke Shuey, Jayden Hunt

Liam Ryan, Jack Darling, Jamie Cripp
s
Nic Naitanui, Tim Kelly, Jai Culley

Liam Duggan, Xavier O'Neill, Callum Jamieson, Jamaine Jones/Campbell Chesser

*Ginbey to start WAFL unless burns up the track pre-season. Then replace LD or XO

*Gaff start WAFL

Why would Jamieson start over Williams? Williams clearly outperformed him last year.

He will be lucky to play many games, he will get overtaken very quickly by Hewett & Burgiel.

Far better option on the HFF than Petruccelle.

If you think I am not on the Petruccelle bandwagon, then you would be correct, he just doesn't work hard enough for me and he isn't a two way runner.

Now I wait for Carbine Chaos to dash over the hill to defend his favourite lost cause. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Best 22 for Round 1, 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back