Prediction Best 22 for Round 1, 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Shuey should be playing unless injured, realistically he's still currently one of our best mids. Only thing I'd like to see is for him to spend some time in the forward line. If he's only good as a reserve from the beginning of the season, he ought to just retire.

I think he's a necessity simply as a mid rotation as our mid depth is so poor. We seem to be stacked with (hur hur) half back flankers if you include Hough and Chesser, but they could be mid rotations too. I'd like to see Shuey's time mainly split between the fwd line and the bench with a few CBD's too but firstly I feel like both he and Simpson would prefer him in the midfield full time, unfortunately I just can't see his body coping.

This is good. I think realistically Gaff and Hurn will play though.

-Just realised you said not necessarily best 22, so disregard.

Yeah you're right with Gaff and Hurn. And no disrespect to either of them - Hurn had an outstanding year and I'm fairly certain Gaff was carrying an injury but played through it for some unknown reason. I'd prefer to not see Hurn fall off a cliff and retire mid season but feels somewhat inevitable, and I'm also hoping that Gaff reinvents himself and is fit for this season.

FB Hurn Barrass Cole
HB Duggan McGovern Jones
C Hunt Kelly Gaff
HF Shuey Allen Cripps
FF Ryan Darling Williams
R Naitanu Yeo Sheed
INT Hough Bazzo Culley Petruccelle
EMG L Edwards Waterman O'Neill Jamieson
WAFL Chesser Foley H Edwards J Williams Clark Rotham Witherden Petrevski-Seton West
Unsure if any of the new draftees will be ready for round 1 specifically but our list looking in much better shape with more depth. Some players are in positions that I'd like to see them rather than their usual spots.

AFL:
FB Hurn Barrass Jones
HB Yeo McGovern Hunt
C Hough Culley Chesser
HF Cripps Allen Kelly
FF Ryan Darling B Williams
R Naitanui Ginbey Hewett
INT Shuey Gaff Cole Duggan
SUB Sheed

WAFL:
FB Witherden H Edwards Jamieson
HB Foley Bazzo Rotham
C Winder Clark Petrevski-Seton
HF Petruccelle Waterman Baker
FF Dewar J Williams Long
R Barnett L Edwards Burgiel
INT West O'Neill Trew

Last edited:

Cole Barrass Duggan
Hunt Gov Burgiel
Shuey Yeo Chesser
Hewett Darling Ryan
Dewar Allen Long

Nic Nat, Culley, Kelly

Barnett, Hurn, Ginbey, Sheed

Sub - Petruccelle/Cripps/Hough/Jones

Last edited:
It's nice to look at some of these teams and have no idea which is the best. I do think we pick up where we left off in 2022 + Cole and Hunt but its pretty cool to look at the side and see players that can rotate through multiple positions without leaving any massive holes anywhere.

Can’t imagine Chesser is playing Round 1 in the AFL after barely playing any competitive games for the past like 3 years.
This worries me BTW. Yes, he is a first round draft pick but he is injury prone. Couldn't have had too many k's in the legs in the past few years, not to mention his lack of match fitness.

B22

Hurn, Barrass, Duggan
Yeo, McGovern, Hunt
Gaff, Kelly, Sheed
Cripps, Allen, Jones
Ryan, Darling, Petrucelle
Naitanui, Shuey, Culley

Cole, Chesser, Hough, BWilliams

Reserve 22

Witherden, HEdwards, Foley
Rotham, Bazzo, Ginbey
Hewett, Clark, LEdwards
SPS, Waterman, Winder
Dewar, JWilliams, Barnett
Jamieson, O’Neill, West

Burgiel, Trew, Baker, Long

Gotta say, to me this is looking like a pretty balanced squad. Depth in just about every area, perhaps need to focus on recruiting a gorilla forward and maybe save our pennies for someone like Tim English with Jamieson possibly moving down back and we’re just about set.

It's a big year for Allen likewise Cole,Yeo Injuries have held them back but I reckon if any of them get long term injuries again we will be looking for replacements come end of next season.

In AFL it's a brutal game. 1 year out of the system is accepted. 2 years out is a nail in a coffin for a players career. These 3 really need to put some games together.

Allen is the most valuable and the one we need to get 100% healthy.

My assessment is that on our list of 44 players, we have 22 AFL Ready players, 9 Ready Depth players and 13 Developing players.

With best 23 listings (the new best 22), I am loathed to try to predict. Why? I want Simmo to start giving games to players in the developing bucket. The likes of Hough, Chesser, Culley, Bazzo etc.

Is Hough better as a wing/HBF than SPS? I saw enough in 2022 to say play him now. SPS needs to burn it up at WAFL as I think he has so much skill yet is confused where he can use it. Consistently. We look short of pure HBF but our recent recruits may well start their craft on the HBF until their bodies are ready for at least WAFL.

Is Bazzo better than Rotham as the 3rd tall KPD at AFL? I have such a low opinion of Rotham I say yes, others may say no but I would be playing Bazzo now. Rotham looks so entrenched in the slow backwards game that he will need to unlearn his old tricks and adapt and this needs to be happening at WAFL.

We look to be short a ready HFF but I see a bunch of mids that can play the role - Shuey, Kelly and Sheed as established players and Hewett, Burgiel and Culley as developing. So Simmo needs to start using his favourites on the HFF as that is where I believe the squad need them to be playing, albeit with decent rotations in the midfield.

Our aim in 2023 should be to move at least 4 players from developing to Ready Depth and preferably Ready AFL

In terms of Barnett, I am hoping he does not get a game at AFL for another year at least. We have seen so many times how rucks playing too early stuffs up their body (isn't that right Oscar).

With so many players that have dual positions, I have listed them in the highest value position I see them playing.

1669860395402.png

AFL

Hurn - Barrass - Cole
Hunt - Gov - Duggan

Gaff - Kelly - Hough

Shuey - Allan - Hewett
Ryan - Darling - Cripps

Nic Nat - Culley - Yeo

Int: Ginbey, BWilliams, XON, Sheed, (Waterman sub)
Emg: Jones, Bhazzo, Chesser

WAFL

Witherden - HEdwards - Nelson
SPS - Bhazzo - Jones

Chesser - Winder - Burgiel

Long - Barnett - Foley
Dewar - Jilliams - Petro

Jamieson - West - Clarke

Int: Baker, LEdwards, Rotham, Trew

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With a combination of aging mids we need to be transitioning out of the midfield and young mids we want to be transitioning into the midfield the 7-8-7 model that served us well in 2018 needs to be scrapped and replaced with a 6-10-6 version.

With 10 running players we would be rotating players between the midfield and HF/HB depending on each players skillset

In addition to rotating players during games, we should be looking to rotate players week to week to a degree. Our older mids should be managed as we shouldn’t expect them to play all 22 games. Same thing for our younger mids

So with that in mind :

Defenders (12)
Mainstays - McGovern, Barrass, Duggan, Cole, Hurn
Priority - Bazzo
Fringe/Depth - Hunt, Jones, Foley, HEdwards, Rotham, Witherden

Rucks (4)
Mainstays - Naitanui
Fringe/Depth - BWilliams, Jamieson
Development - Barnett

Mids (19)
Mainstays - Kelly, Sheed, Shuey, Yeo, Gaff
Priority - Culley, Chesser, Hough, Ginbey, Hewett
Fringe/Depth - O’Neill, SPS, LEdwards, Winder, West, Clark, Trew
Development - Burgiel, Baker

Forwards (9)
Mainstays - Darling, Allen, Cripps, Ryan
Fringe/Depth - Waterman, Petruccelle
Development - JWilliams, Long, Baker

Mainstays (15) - Basically best 22 players that should be playing every game when fit. Some of these guys are older and will need to be managed throughout the season. Also, there’s some of the credits crew here so to play, they need to be performing

Priority (6) - Provided form warrants, these kids should be played as often as possible

Fringe/Depth (17) - All have played AFL and some are naturally closer to best 22 than others. Arguably, some are. This is where the competition for spots comes from amongst this group but also keeping the mainstays honest. They’re also cover for the inevitable injuries that are part of football. Many (most) in this group are out of contract next year and need a strong season to survive the cut

Development (6) - Young players that aren’t really ready physically for AFL just yet and you’d expect would be playing reserves. A couple might make it through for a game or two perhaps most likely Barnett or Burgiel.

Ideally by the end of the year a few of those younger fringe/depth players are pushing out the more senior mainstays

B: Duggan, Barrass, Hurn
HB: Hunt, McGovern, Yeo
C: Hough, Kelly, Gaff
HF: Cripps, Allen, Hewett
F: Ryan, Darling, Petruccelle
FOLL: Naitanui, Shuey, Sheed
I/C: Jones, Cole, Chesser, Williams

EMG: Ginbey, Bazzo, Waterman, West

*Culley, Witherden, O'neill, Burgiel,

Emergency and next in line players used to rotate rookies and older players throughout the year.
If there's five on the bench wouldn't mind seeing Ginbey as the fifth, rotation off HB and wing as his initiation or Waterman if we need to go a bit taller in the forward line.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Couldn’t see a B22 thread but felt the urge to have another go…

Round 1, 2023

Hurn Barrass Duggan
Hunt McGovern Hough
Gaff Kelly Jones
Cripps Allen Shuey
Ryan Darling Waterman

Naitanui Yeo Sheed

Bazzo Culley Cole Williams (West)

I’ve resisted the temptation to stack the team with shiny new draftees (Ginbey, Hewett, Burgiel) but would expect at least one of them will be in the frame early in the season, along with Chesser.

Snuck Culley onto the bench, ahead of West as the back up mid - expect West (or poor old Clark) will fill the 23rd man role fairly often.

Opted for Waterman up forward as 3rd tall - I think there is a spot there if someone wants it and he is the most likely candidate. I prefer Darling and Ryan closer to goal but more likely Darling will be up the ground as usual.

Back line is experienced with the exception of Hough and Bazzo with Cole coming back in as a hard worker/shutdown man. I am hoping Yeo spends some time back there too as he did play his best footy off half back last year.

The midfield is very experienced, for better or worse - I have Shuey on a flank but that’s more hope than anything that he can offer something there, rotating with Jones (who I still think is better off forward of centre.). If everyone can stay fit (lol), and guys like Gaff are able to play their best positions off a wing, then we should see improvement. Obviously this is the most interesting part of the ground - 1 spot (Redden’s) is clearly up for grabs - how many others is the big question.

Will be interesting to look back on this in 6 months time and cringe at how far off the mark I was!

FB Cole Barrass Bazzo
CHB Hurn McGovern Duggan
C Gaff Kelly Hunt
CHF Cripps Allen Yeo
FF Ryan Darling Petrucelli
R Natanui Sheed Shuey
INT Jones (Back) Culley Hough BWilliams

I feel as though this is a balanced line up.

Backs
Cole coming in is super important as a lot of small forwards got a hold of us last year.
Need to invest time into Bazzo as a third tall.
Jones/Hunt to provide that rebounding punch off half back

Mids
Shuey, Kelly and Sheed have runs on the board. They need to be fit however. Give them the chance early. Culley in their also.

Forwards
Yeo forward is a little left field, but I feel as though he has the potential to cause head aches there. Really tough match up, can hit the score board, just like Botempelli/Fyfe do.

Obviously like we all do, I want to see the young kids play senior footy. I think let them earn there spot early.

Would be nice seeing Ginbey, Hewett, Chesser, Buegel and Barnett all running around competing for spots in the WAFL.

B Cole Barrass Bazzo
HB Hunt McGovern Duggan
C Gaff Kelly Hough
HF Ryan Allen Petrucclle
F Cripps Darling Waterman
FOLL- Naitanui Yeo Sheed
I/C- B.Williams, Culley, Hewett, Chesser
Sub- Shuey

Folks, Hough is not a wingman and J Jones does not belong in the backline

B Cole Barrass Hurn
HB Hough McGovern Duggan
C Gaff Kelly Sheed