Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see us playing all Vardy, Stanley and Clark all in the same size next year. Not with Henderson and Blitz in the side as well. Along with the other talls, we'd be way too top heavy imo

I dunno ive thought long and hard about this, Stanley and Blitz are actually lighter than some bigget body mids. Both have brilliant leg speed aswell, especially Stanley.

I think our 'spine' may look something like;

FB - Lonners/Hendo (eith or natural succession)
CHB - Taylor
C - Blitz (big body mid)
CHF - Clark
FF - Hawkins
R - Stanley
I/C - Vardy

The big guys with the endurance like Stanley and Blitz will be paramount next year with the I/C cap.

Thats only 7 players one over each line that are considered tall. While the latter 2 mentioned are genuine athletes. Also excluding Kolo.

B Cowan Lonners Kolo
HB Thurlow Taylor Mackie
C Guthrie GHS Duncan
HF Motlop Henderson J Selwood
F Menzel Hawkins Lang
R Stanley Dangerfield Blicavs
I Vardy Caddy Cockatoo Gregson

cant even fit Murdoch, Bartel, Bews, Smedts or S Selwood in

I'm moving Joel Selwood to the forward half to preserve him, I'd have him 25% mid.

I prefer Henderson forward until lonners is cooked, see how it goes.

It would be a decent team in 2-3 years but needs a few more young guys to turn elite to contend for a flag

I find it very funny all these teams that just assume Blicavs will become a midfielder/rover ahead of Selwood, guthrie, caddy. He has had one game where he has shown he can find the amount of ball that is necessary to become a full time mid. 1 game in his whole career. I think it's unlikely. Long term I think he will still end up as a defender who rotates through the wing. Ala Mackie.

Hypothetically speaking, assuming we land danger and hendo (taking S Selwood at his word that he wants to stay an eagle) . Is a bit of a silly exercise before trade period but still

FB: Enright Lonergan Kolo
HB: Thurlow Taylor Guthrie
C: Caddy Dangerfield Duncan
HF: Murdoch Vardy Motlop
FF: Clark Hawkins Menzel
R: Stanley Blicavs J. Selwood
I: Bews Bartel Mackie Lang
EMG: Cockatoo Henderson Gregson

Hopefully pushing: Cowan Smedts Walker Kersten

Henderson first in line, could force Clark out (I really don't like the way he and Hawkins worked together this year) or could force Lonergan out if old tommy starts to wear and tear a bit. Hendo is a much better player than he was at Carlton, and has played very good footy in the backline for the blues too

Guthrie to a HB if Danger comes is logical. Has been a very good player for us back there a few years ago and would add some class to our up and coming backline. Also gives Lang more midfield time

Lets hope that Smedts and Cowan get to where we think their potential is and make some real selection dilemmas.

I find it very funny all these teams that just assume Blicavs will become a midfielder/rover ahead of Selwood, guthrie, caddy. He has had one game where he has shown he can find the amount of ball that is necessary to become a full time mid. 1 game in his whole career. I think it's unlikely. Long term I think he will still end up as a defender who rotates through the wing. Ala Mackie.
Yeah, I think his best position is to play a kick behind the ball like he did against North and GC earlier this year. It's a far better use of his height and his contested marking, which has become a massive strength this year.

Selwood is cooked, he needs an easier role unless we want him retiring in 2 years

Guthrie is too small to play onball but he is a good outside player

Caddy is better as a mid/forward cos of his marking, his decision making and disposal is sketchy

Blicavs has elite running and size(making it harder for him to be pushed around at stoppages like Guthrie) and can link up pretty well, him going 3rd man up helps us at stoppages (mostly to give the opposition something to think about)

he averaged 18.2 disposals despite playing a lot in the ruck, Selwood only averaged 24.6

as a non ruck he can probably improve to 20+ disposals next year and possibly 25+ in a couple of years

Selwood is cooked, he needs an easier role unless we want him retiring in 2 years

Guthrie is too small to play onball but he is a good outside player

Caddy is better as a mid/forward cos of his marking, his decision making and disposal is sketchy

Blicavs has elite running and size(making it harder for him to be pushed around at stoppages like Guthrie) and can link up pretty well, him going 3rd man up helps us at stoppages (mostly to give the opposition something to think about)

he averaged 18.2 disposals despite playing a lot in the ruck, Selwood only averaged 24.6

as a non ruck he can probably improve to 20+ disposals next year and possibly 25+ in a couple of years
Guthrie's the same size as Selwood and Mitchell (though perhaps not as square as Mitchell). I don't think Guthrie's the issue - somewhere around the middle of the season, something clicked and it was great to see him bursting clear of clearances and deliver the ball/kick goals like he did against Hawthorn.

I think Caddy is a better answer, because when he's forward of the ball he tends to fall out of the play pretty quickly. If we could get something like what we got out of Caddy against the Dogs, it would go a long way toward addressing our clearance woes. If Menzel can keep going, that gives us the mid-size marking target we've cried out for all year and releases Caddy in the centre.

Guthrie's the same size as Selwood and Mitchell (though perhaps not as square as Mitchell). I don't think Guthrie's the issue - somewhere around the middle of the season, something clicked and it was great to see him bursting clear of clearances and deliver the ball/kick goals like he did against Hawthorn.

I think Caddy is a better answer, because when he's forward of the ball he tends to fall out of the play pretty quickly. If we could get something like what we got out of Caddy against the Dogs, it would go a long way toward addressing our clearance woes. If Menzel can keep going, that gives us the mid-size marking target we've cried out for all year and releases Caddy in the centre.

Selwood is a beast though, Guthrie isn't and even Selwood struggles against the big bodied mids.

Caddy just doesn't have the endurance nor the smarts to be a full time clearance player just yet. The dogs don't have the biggest most experienced mids either. Look at Caddy's games vs the teams with bigger mids like Freo, Hawthorn, North and Sydney. He struggles.

With lower rotations Blicavs will run all onballers into the ground. The likes of Caddy, Selwood, Duncan, GHS, Guthrie etc should all be part of the rotations but Blicavs should be the mainstay.

If we get Dangerfield then he'd basically be the next guy I'd want in there. That's 2 very big midfielders who aren't getting pushed around.

Selwood is a beast though, Guthrie isn't and even Selwood struggles against the big bodied mids.

Caddy just doesn't have the endurance nor the smarts to be a full time clearance player just yet. The dogs don't have the biggest most experienced mids either. Look at Caddy's games vs the teams with bigger mids like Freo, Hawthorn, North and Sydney. He struggles.

With lower rotations Blicavs will run all onballers into the ground. The likes of Caddy, Selwood, Duncan, GHS, Guthrie etc should all be part of the rotations but Blicavs should be the mainstay.

If we get Dangerfield then he'd basically be the next guy I'd want in there. That's 2 very big midfielders who aren't getting pushed around.
We should put Hawkins in the middle for the centre bounce. He is the biggest body of all. Then move him to the forward line after the centre bounce is done.

Here's my 2016 side
b taylor henderson enright
hb thurlow stanley kolo
C motlop caddy duncan
Fol ? Blic dangerfield
hf vardy clark selwood
f bartel hawkins menzel
i/c mackie guthrie cockatoo
pretty sure that would win next gf

Here's my 2016 side
hb thurlow stanley kolo
C motlop caddy duncan
Fol ? Blic dangerfield
hf vardy clark selwood
f bartel hawkins menzel

Stanley at CHB is a big call, like the optimism, though we'd be a man short.

B: Corey Enright Lachie Henderson Jed Bews
HB: Jake Kolodashnij Harry Taylor Jackson Thurlow
C: Andrew Mackie Joel Selwood Cam Guthrie
HF: Mitch Duncan Mitch Clark/Nathan Vardy Steven Motlop
F: Jimmy Bartel Tom Hawkins Jordan Murdoch
R: Traded ruckman Patrick Dangerfield Scott Selwood
Int: Mark Blicavs Rhys Stanley Josh Caddy Darcy Lang

Emg: Corey Gregson George Horlin Smith Daniel Menzel

Depth: Josh Walker Shane Kersten Josh Cowan Nakia Cockatoo Dean Gore Lincoln McCarthy Jarrad Jansen Jordan Cunico plus the rookies

Notes:
I dont think we will play 4 KPD all year and Lonners will be the one to drop out, he will start the year in the side but end up in the VFL like Stokes did IMO

With Henderson in the side either Mackie or Thurlow will move to a wing so we can use their good kicking for the last kick inside 50, something we struggled with this year.

I think CHF is a toss up between Clark and Vardy if both are fit, if we get a ruck in Stanley will be second ruck and Blitz will play more as a permanent mid.

With the defence bolstered Bartel should go back to 3rd tall forward.

Looking at this side I can see why Walker might feel he won't get games and look for a trade.

Menzel is clearly in the best 22 but I didnt put him in yet as he will need time to build up his endurance before he can play every week.

I considered putting Gregson in for the last spot over Lang as I feel we need a specific small forward, but Lang's form has been better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, if trading goes as planned,

B Kolo Lonergan Mackie
HB Thurlow Taylor Enright
C Motlop J.Selwood Guthrie
HF Lang Clark Cockatoo
F Menzel Hawkins Henderson
Foll Stanley Duncan Dangerfield
Int. Blicavs Caddy S.Selwood Bartel

Em. Gregson Vardy Bews

Gregson extremely stiff, but I don't know who to leave out

Eight changes from our final game of 2015, in comes Lang, Clark, Henderson, Stanley, Duncan, Dangerfield, Caddy, S.Selwood

Hypothetically speaking, assuming we land danger and hendo (taking S Selwood at his word that he wants to stay an eagle) . Is a bit of a silly exercise before trade period but still

FB: Enright Lonergan Kolo
HB: Thurlow Taylor Guthrie
C: Caddy Dangerfield Duncan
HF: Murdoch Vardy Motlop
FF: Clark Hawkins Menzel
R: Stanley Blicavs J. Selwood
I: Bews Bartel Mackie Lang
EMG: Cockatoo Henderson Gregson

Hopefully pushing: Cowan Smedts Walker Kersten

Henderson first in line, could force Clark out (I really don't like the way he and Hawkins worked together this year) or could force Lonergan out if old tommy starts to wear and tear a bit. Hendo is a much better player than he was at Carlton, and has played very good footy in the backline for the blues too

Guthrie to a HB if Danger comes is logical. Has been a very good player for us back there a few years ago and would add some class to our up and coming backline. Also gives Lang more midfield time

Lets hope that Smedts and Cowan get to where we think their potential is and make some real selection dilemmas.

Guthrie is really coming into his own in the midfield. If he moves to t he HBF, then where does that put Thurlow or Bews?

Guys like Smedts, Cowan, Guthrie reach their potential (which I think will be pretty high for all) when they are given a run. Thurlow is another example. We have been very patient with Caddy, and he has finally come good. This is where I am one out on this forum and I do not think Danger will be any kind of bargain.

Any predicted 2016 lineup that doesn't include Joel Selwood starting in the midfield makes no sense to me

Always fun!

Lang Lonergan Kolodjashnij
Thurlow Taylor Enright
Dangerfield GHS Duncan
Motlop Vardy Menzel
Gregson Hawkins Caddy
Stanley Blicavs J. Selwood
Guthrie Bartel Mackie Murdoch

Here's my 2016 side
hb thurlow stanley kolo
C motlop caddy duncan
Fol ? Blic dangerfield
hf vardy clark selwood
f bartel hawkins menzel

Hope the 4th Interchange spot is for Lonners :(

Kolo Lonergan Enright
Thurlow Taylor Guthrie
Duncan J Selwood Motlop
Cocky Henderson Bartel
Lang Hawkins Gregson

Stanley/Vardy Danger Caddy

I/C Blitz, S Selwood, Mackie, Murdoch.

During the season, Loners could head back to the 2s. Then Hendo would go to the backline and Clark would come into consideration. The same could happen with Bartel and Menzel.

Of course, there will be injuries and form lapses and even a suspension or two, so rotations including GHS, Smedts, Gore, Bews, Cowan, Walker et al. will happen.

And then there is The Mystery Mid!!!! :eek:

Enright Lonergan Kolo
Thurlow Taylor Mackie
Blicsavs Selwood Guthrie
Motlop Vardy Menzel
Gregson Hawkins Clarke

Stanley Duncan Dangerfield

Int from Caddy Bartel Henderson Cockatoo S Selwood Lang Smedts Cowan Bews Murdoch McCarthy

People suggesting Guthrie from mid to defence is crazy,this year he has built his engine just so he can become
an elite mid,which he is now really doing. Why would he go to defence? Also, 186cm is not small for a midfielder as was suggested
by someone else. He can win his own ball and we have witnessed his ability to break tackles.
I am not a Caddy fan,he is tough and hard at it but makes bad decisions and has to many turnovers but is a goalkicker.
Scott has spoken about Blics being a winger who can cover the full length of the ground,but we have had to use him
in the ruck. He becomes such a hard matchup when freed from the ruck.
Vardy and Clark could be interchangeable in this team.
I don't think they will mess with the backline to much,it's hard to beat experience. Other options will obviously be used
as the season goes on,Henderson for example.
I have left Gregson in at the moment expecting him to further develop. That kid is so smart with the ball. Also, for such
a small player he is a great tackler. Along with Lang this has been a big part of his role this year and his ability to bring
down a much bigger opponent is impressive. (These are important acts we sometimes forget)
We got Stanley as a first ruck and that is where he was the dominant player on the ground in the game against Port
before he was injured. I have seen other teams here with him at CHB and HFF,???
Of course other things may and probably will happen. Cockatoo may have an early breakout season and be huge.
Scott Selwood if over his ankle worries could be very good, remember, he was Eagles BF in 2012. He is a hard ball beast
and makes better decisions with more pinpoint delivery then Caddy.
If you do a summary of the injuries and setbacks to Smedts including broken leg and collarbone amongst others and how
they have affected his prep you can see he deserves a chance. The word is with a full preseason we may see something
we were not expecting.
And going on,the further development of Lang a fully fit Cowan and McCarthy, a super talent.
Bews will no doubt come into backline calculations at some stage.
As you can see I am not a huge Murdoch fan. Power kick but often sprays it. Panics with the ball under pressure,but
definitely has a brilliant turn of foot and can kick goals. Good pinch hitter.
The much maligned Walker has been good this year overall. Pretty much a fill in but is handy.
A couple more likely prospects from the VFL side could also be on the horizon.
Leaving perhaps the best to last,the likely signing of Dangerfield is self explanatory.
The side above and all the other possible permutations makes me very excited about the future. That team is absolutely
competitive with any other. Just by adding the possible signings with the players we have had missing for most of the
year or in some cases years we get, Dangerfield,Duncan,Menzel,Vardy,S Selwood,Henderson,Stanley,Clarke,Cowan,McCarthy.
People who are talking long rebuild have got it wrong in a big way.(those on the Crows board especially)
Be confident Cats fans we can definitely contend!!

I hear you. He has grown even more this year playing on-ball. But I wouldn't mind seeing Guthrie follow Enright's career path. Play midfield early days, but then move to the half-back line and become an absolute star of the competition. Guthrie now has the experience to go back to the backline and really become a key playmaker (read the play, set up attacks [he's quicker than Boris too]). However, the club may view a fully fit Cowan for this role.

By the way, we need a new one of these:

Sorry,but your logic is a bit illogical. Guthrie has been groomed to be a midfielder. This year he has improved his tank and has now
become a 30 poss player who doesn't make mistakes and uses it very well. He can win his own ball,is super quick especially over the
first 5 to 10. His ability to run away from a pack is impressive and has also gained that knack of breaking tackles. He also kicks goals.
You don't develop a young player who goes on to become an elite mid and then say,I know,let's play him on the half back flank!

Sorry,but your logic is a bit illogical. Guthrie has been groomed to be a midfielder. This year he has improved his tank and has now
become a 30 poss player who doesn't make mistakes and uses it very well. He can win his own ball,is super quick especially over the
first 5 to 10. His ability to run away from a pack is impressive and has also gained that knack of breaking tackles. He also kicks goals.
You don't develop a young player who goes on to become an elite mid and then say,I know,let's play him on the half back flank!
He will still be in the Mid rotations.

You can't have 12 blokes all in the centre the whole game. You run them/switch them in from different positions on the field. Forward flanks, forward pockets, back flanks.

Guthrie is perfect for running off a back flank while not on the ball.

Enright Lonergan Kolo
Thurlow Taylor Mackie
Blicsavs Selwood Guthrie
Motlop Vardy Menzel
Gregson Hawkins Clarke

Stanley Duncan Dangerfield

Int from Caddy Bartel Henderson Cockatoo S Selwood Lang Smedts Cowan Bews Murdoch McCarthy

People suggesting Guthrie from mid to defence is crazy,this year he has built his engine just so he can become
an elite mid,which he is now really doing. Why would he go to defence? Also, 186cm is not small for a midfielder as was suggested
by someone else. He can win his own ball and we have witnessed his ability to break tackles.
I am not a Caddy fan,he is tough and hard at it but makes bad decisions and has to many turnovers but is a goalkicker.
Scott has spoken about Blics being a winger who can cover the full length of the ground,but we have had to use him
in the ruck. He becomes such a hard matchup when freed from the ruck.
Vardy and Clark could be interchangeable in this team.
I don't think they will mess with the backline to much,it's hard to beat experience. Other options will obviously be used
as the season goes on,Henderson for example.
I have left Gregson in at the moment expecting him to further develop. That kid is so smart with the ball. Also, for such
a small player he is a great tackler. Along with Lang this has been a big part of his role this year and his ability to bring
down a much bigger opponent is impressive. (These are important acts we sometimes forget)
We got Stanley as a first ruck and that is where he was the dominant player on the ground in the game against Port
before he was injured. I have seen other teams here with him at CHB and HFF,???
Of course other things may and probably will happen. Cockatoo may have an early breakout season and be huge.
Scott Selwood if over his ankle worries could be very good, remember, he was Eagles BF in 2012. He is a hard ball beast
and makes better decisions with more pinpoint delivery then Caddy.
If you do a summary of the injuries and setbacks to Smedts including broken leg and collarbone amongst others and how
they have affected his prep you can see he deserves a chance. The word is with a full preseason we may see something
we were not expecting.
And going on,the further development of Lang a fully fit Cowan and McCarthy, a super talent.
Bews will no doubt come into backline calculations at some stage.
As you can see I am not a huge Murdoch fan. Power kick but often sprays it. Panics with the ball under pressure,but
definitely has a brilliant turn of foot and can kick goals. Good pinch hitter.
The much maligned Walker has been good this year overall. Pretty much a fill in but is handy.
A couple more likely prospects from the VFL side could also be on the horizon.
Leaving perhaps the best to last,the likely signing of Dangerfield is self explanatory.
The side above and all the other possible permutations makes me very excited about the future. That team is absolutely
competitive with any other. Just by adding the possible signings with the players we have had missing for most of the
year or in some cases years we get, Dangerfield,Duncan,Menzel,Vardy,S Selwood,Henderson,Stanley,Clarke,Cowan,McCarthy.
People who are talking long rebuild have got it wrong in a big way.(those on the Crows board especially)
Be confident Cats fans we can definitely contend!!

Sorry,in my post I completely forgot about George Horlin Smith,(which may say something)
Probably just a fill in, utility type,hope I'm wrong but does look painfully slow.
If he doesn't make it,he may regret not choosing cricket. (Aust under 19 captain)

Purely speculative at this stage - I'm gonna assume that Walker goes, for instance, even though I would like to see him retained if possible.

I have no idea how the ruck situation will play out; I'd love to see us trade in someone like Lobbe but I won't make that assumption just yet.

I will however take it on good faith that Dangerfield/Henderson are options; the reality though is that there's a lot of water to pass under the proverbial before they are acquired, with the price yet to be settled. Scott Selwood I would not have best 22 even if he were available, at the minute.

They're my disclaimers, here is the side for round 1 (note: I did think Pure_Ownage put forward a very good argument that Lonergan will be phased out as 2016 progresses and I think he may well be right; but for round 1 I reckon Lonergan will be named at full back, assuming full fitness).

B: J. Bews T. Lonergan C. Enright
HB: J. Thurlow H. Taylor J. Kolodjashnij
C: M. Duncan J. Selwood C. Guthrie
HF: J. Caddy N. Vardy S. Motlop
F: D. Lang T. Hawkins D. Menzel
R: R. Stanley M. Blicavs P. Dangerfield

I/C: A. Mackie J. Bartel N. Cockatoo Clark/Henderson

Very handy 22, and I would be quite happy to see any of Horlin-Smith, Gregson, Murdoch, Smedts or Cowan's names in the side also.
Really tough fitting in all the midfielders which is a good sign; the addition of Dangerfield would have a real snowball effect - I'd written out the side once and realised I hadn't fit Mitch Duncan into the 18 :drunk:

Fingers crossed we can get full-ish seasons from most of our list and we're not too curtailed by injury, as has been the case the past couple of years.
Having Stanley, Menzel, Vardy, Cowan, Clark and McCarthy available for selection most weeks would make an enormous difference in ensuring some serious list depth. We shall see.

Caddy and Motlop on the forward flanks are very capable of playing through the middle, and hopefully Lang will spend more time through the guts too.
With the rotations further reduced in 2016, this kind of on-field flexibility will be necessary.

Kolo Lonergan/Henderson Enright
Cowan Taylor Thurlow
Duncan J Selwood Guthrie
Caddy Vardy Motlop
Menzel Hawkins Lang
Stanley Blicavs Dangerfield

I/C S Selwood, Mackie, Clark, Bartel

EMG: Bews, Smedts, Gregson, Murdoch, GH-S

Cockatoo will break into the side before too long ....he may need another year to make the impact that seems inevitable.

Trade period and injuries though may change some of this, .... it was already difficult to fit players in. Like to see Gregson added for outside run as well during the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back