Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

So much depends on who get in the trade period. And do not forget GFC is now playing youth as a priority.

So it is too hard to make any calls on our best side yet. I think it best, except for the fun of it, to leave well alone until we know the trades that come our way.

But just getting Danger and putting more time into Kolo, Bews, Thurlow, Gregson, Cockatoo and Lang - will see us rise. Its really a question of us improving in 2016 to play finals and then challenge seriously in 2017.

If we can get a ruckman (I say Clark - as we have him already) and another good mid (besides Danger) or KPB in this year's trade period - who knows - we may even be a chance next season.

He will still be in the Mid rotations.

You can't have 12 blokes all in the centre the whole game. You run them/switch them in from different positions on the field. Forward flanks, forward pockets, back flanks.

Guthrie is perfect for running off a back flank while not on the ball.

Sorry again,but the poster was suggesting Guthrie as a permanent back flanker and not playing
as a mid.(read it again) Also,rotating a mid through a back flank would be very rare,it doesn't
happen at Geelong. Think of Geelong's backline this season and tell me a mid rotation on the
backline.

Sorry again,but the poster was suggesting Guthrie as a permanent back flanker and not playing
as a mid.(read it again) Also,rotating a mid through a back flank would be very rare,it doesn't
happen at Geelong. Think of Geelong's backline this season and tell me a mid rotation on the
backline.
It will happen if Guthrie is named there. :rolleyes:

backline.

kelly?

No sorry,(I love saying sorry) Kelly has been selected and played on the back flank but
not as a rotating mid. If the team is not going well he may even be changed from a back
flank onto the ball and vica versa,but not to rotate through there as part of the mid plan.
If a team's backline and I mean all teams is doing a job and restricting the opposition scoring
they are loathe to change it at all. We always hear of the solidity of the back six.
The main way to rotate mids is through the bench (120 interchanges) as well as the forward line.
Mid rotations to the forward line of recent times for Geelong have been, Johnson,Chapman,Motlop,
Duncan,Stokes,Selwood,Bartel,Christensen,Guthrie and probably others.

Enright Lonergan Kolo
Thurlow Taylor Mackie
Blicsavs Selwood Guthrie
Motlop Vardy Menzel
Gregson Hawkins Clarke

Stanley Duncan Dangerfield

Int from Caddy Bartel Henderson Cockatoo S Selwood Lang Smedts Cowan Bews Murdoch McCarthy

People suggesting Guthrie from mid to defence is crazy,this year he has built his engine just so he can become
an elite mid,which he is now really doing. Why would he go to defence? Also, 186cm is not small for a midfielder as was suggested
by someone else. He can win his own ball and we have witnessed his ability to break tackles.
I am not a Caddy fan,he is tough and hard at it but makes bad decisions and has to many turnovers but is a goalkicker.
Scott has spoken about Blics being a winger who can cover the full length of the ground,but we have had to use him
in the ruck. He becomes such a hard matchup when freed from the ruck.
Vardy and Clark could be interchangeable in this team.
I don't think they will mess with the backline to much,it's hard to beat experience. Other options will obviously be used
as the season goes on,Henderson for example.
I have left Gregson in at the moment expecting him to further develop. That kid is so smart with the ball. Also, for such
a small player he is a great tackler. Along with Lang this has been a big part of his role this year and his ability to bring
down a much bigger opponent is impressive. (These are important acts we sometimes forget)
We got Stanley as a first ruck and that is where he was the dominant player on the ground in the game against Port
before he was injured. I have seen other teams here with him at CHB and HFF,???
Of course other things may and probably will happen. Cockatoo may have an early breakout season and be huge.
Scott Selwood if over his ankle worries could be very good, remember, he was Eagles BF in 2012. He is a hard ball beast
and makes better decisions with more pinpoint delivery then Caddy.
If you do a summary of the injuries and setbacks to Smedts including broken leg and collarbone amongst others and how
they have affected his prep you can see he deserves a chance. The word is with a full preseason we may see something
we were not expecting.
And going on,the further development of Lang a fully fit Cowan and McCarthy, a super talent.
Bews will no doubt come into backline calculations at some stage.
As you can see I am not a huge Murdoch fan. Power kick but often sprays it. Panics with the ball under pressure,but
definitely has a brilliant turn of foot and can kick goals. Good pinch hitter.
The much maligned Walker has been good this year overall. Pretty much a fill in but is handy.
A couple more likely prospects from the VFL side could also be on the horizon.
Leaving perhaps the best to last,the likely signing of Dangerfield is self explanatory.
The side above and all the other possible permutations makes me very excited about the future. That team is absolutely
competitive with any other. Just by adding the possible signings with the players we have had missing for most of the
year or in some cases years we get, Dangerfield,Duncan,Menzel,Vardy,S Selwood,Henderson,Stanley,Clarke,Cowan,McCarthy.
People who are talking long rebuild have got it wrong in a big way.(those on the Crows board especially)
Be confident Cats fans we can definitely contend!!

Lots of very salient points in this post ijaxcat. Your optimism almost rivals my own :p

I'd just like to comment on the points that stood out to me. (Please forgive my paraphrasing and correct me if I misrepresent you)

"Guthrie is becoming an elite Mid" - couldn't agree more, he was a big part of our improvement in the midfield as the season wore on. He will definitely be one of the key midfield rotations next season.

"Blicavs will be used as a midfielder/winger" - very much agree with this, however I would add this caveat. Scott will use him to play directly on one of the oppositions less explosive key midfielders, to nullify their influence at clearances and damage him the other way by running his legs off. Thus we are choosing Blicavs match-up we don't want to allow a repeat of the 2014 prelim where hill just burned him on the wing.

"Lang and Gregson will be much improved in 2016"- very hard to imagine otherwise really. The interesting thing will be to see with so many ins whether they can both earn a gig every week. Very good signs with these two.

"If a No. 1 ruckman can be acquired Stanley will make a great No. 2" - Completely agree, though I would say the same of Vardy. Scott is on the record I believe saying he has an idea of what our best 22 for next year might look like and Clark isn't in it. I fully expect Vardy and Stanley to share the ruck duties with a genuine No. 1 and burn the opposition whilst the other 2 rest forward.

"Smedts may become something unexpected with a full preseason under his belt" - Could it be that Smedts is the Mystery Mid every keeps crapping on about.

"The additions will mean the cats contend in 2016" - Short of being cruelled by injury I can't see how this won't be the case if we land the targets we're told are likely to be signed. Whenever I try to do a line-up like others have commented I end up leaving out some very good names from our best 22, simply cause they can't all play.

To emphasise my point here is the team I'd play if it were allowed.

FB: Enright, Lonergan, Henderson, Taylor
HB: Cowan, Kolo, Mackie, Bews
C: Thurlow, Duncan, Guthrie, Lang
HF: Motlop, Vardy, Lang, Cockatoo
FF: Bartel, Hawkins, Menzel, Gregson
R: No.1, Selwood, Dangerfield, Blicavs
B: Stanley, Murdoch, Horlin-Smith, Smedts, Clark.

(That doesn't include Scott Selwood given recent conjecture)

I would like to temper this by adding though that although we may contend I think 2016 could end up being like 2005. Where general lack of experience may reveal itself once the big dance starts.

It was about a month ago I think. I really don't record these things. I remember others on here commenting at the time, perhaps they can confirm or deny. As I said I don't remember it very well it may have just been heresay. I'm as keen to find out as anyone.

OK, I don't recall it. In fact, I can say unequivocally that I didn't see or hear it. Perhaps, as you say, someone else can help.

Chuckle at the "what's the point before trade week/too early" calls. It's not getting engraved on the Wimbledon trophy or slabs of stone. It's killing time while there's no game to analyse. You are allowed to do another one in a week, a fortnight, a month :D as things change.

I don't think we should under-estimate all these blokes "knocking the door down" in the 2nds, as shown by our Liston Trophy vote-getters:

Geelong Cats Football Club
G. Horlin-Smith Geelong Cats 9
H. Mcintosh Geelong Cats 3
S. Blease Geelong Cats 3
B. Raidme Geelong Cats 3
C. Tudor Geelong Cats 3
M. Farrelly Geelong Cats 2
B. Rees Geelong Cats 2
S. Robinson Geelong Cats 2
M. Stokes Geelong Cats 2
D. Gore Geelong Cats 2
J. Jansen Geelong Cats 2
J. Kolodjashnij Geelong Cats 1
N. Cockatoo Geelong Cats 1

N. Dixon Geelong Cats 1
D. Simpson Geelong Cats 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm amazed that people still persist in thinking he's inevitably moving back to defence. He's a full time midfielder now, and has been for two seasons.

I am making a slightly different point. "We" have to name people somewhere on the team sheet. They can't all be named in the centre.

I think Guthrie will play as a mid, and rotate on/off a back flank - just as he has been prepared to by the coaches and MC to do. Some players rotate off a forward flank, I think he will rotate off a back flank. Its perfect for him and the team. He uses his run and drive from there, as well as being a follower when on the ball.

I don't think he is likely to be named on the ball if we get Danger, and have others such as Selwood x2, Caddy, Duncan, Blitz, Cocky etc as followers. He could well be named on a back flank, and rotate from there through the middle.

Its pretty simple to work out really - not sure why some have so much trouble with the idea, and why it seems outrageous to others.

I don't think he is likely to be named on the ball if we get Danger, and have others such as Selwood x2, Caddy, Duncan, Blitz, Cocky etc as followers. He could well be named on a back flank, and rotate from there through the middle.

Its pretty simple to work out really - not sure why some have so much trouble with the idea, and why it seems outrageous to others.

There's no problem at all; it's how much we value Guthrie. For some he's an easily moved piece of the midfield puzzle. To me, he's by far our best midfielder after Selwood and Duncan, and the notion that Scott Selwood, Blicavs or Cockatoo should ever be preferred to him is both ludicrous and hilarious.

There's no problem at all; it's how much we value Guthrie. For some he's an easily moved piece of the midfield puzzle. To me, he's by far our best midfielder after Selwood and Duncan, and the notion that Scott Selwood, Blicavs or Cockatoo should ever be preferred to him is both ludicrous and hilarious.
Well, I am not convinced. I see no problem at all with him rotating off a back-flank. In fact it make perfect sense seeing his past and our future.

BTW, where was Guthrie named in our final game this year?

I am making a slightly different point. "We" have to name people somewhere on the team sheet. They can't all be named in the centre.

I think Guthrie will play as a mid, and rotate on/off a back flank - just as he has been prepared to by the coaches and MC to do. Some players rotate off a forward flank, I think he will rotate off a back flank. Its perfect for him and the team. He uses his run and drive from there, as well as being a follower when on the ball.

I'm unsure about that, I think that Cowan looked pretty good in the HBF role. Along with Thurlow, Gore, there isn't much space left for types to rotate
through. Though it's a good position to be in, with a lot of these types that can rotate through different positions.

Well, I am not convinced. I see no problem at all with him rotating off a back-flank. In fact it make perfect sense seeing his past and our future.

BTW, where was Guthrie named in our final game this year?
I agree with you, we saw this year Bartel and Kelly spend time down back and most of us hated it. We get Dangerfield, Selwood and this "mystery mid" and I can see Guthrie spending time off half back and rotating through the middle. He has good pace which is useful off halfback and as we know is adept playing like a defender. Can definitely see it being possible.

Chuckle at the "what's the point before trade week/too early" calls. It's not getting engraved on the Wimbledon trophy or slabs of stone. It's killing time while there's no game to analyse. You are allowed to do another one in a week, a fortnight, a month :D as things change.
Haven't they read the rules about never, ever talking crap on BigFooty?

B: Enright Lonergan Kolo
HB: Thurlow Taylor Mackie
C: Hyphen Caddy Guthrie
HF: Motlop Clark Murdoch
F: Menzel Hawkins Bartel
R: Stanley Duncan Selwood
I: Blicavs Vardy Gregson Lang
E: Cowan Bews Cockatoo

I will only add players like Henderson, Dangerfield and S Selwood once they are confirmed to be on the playing list.
Most likely I would drop Gregson and Lang for Dangerfield and S Selwood.
And possibly drop Lonergan for Henderson.

So this thread is basically redundant until after the draft and trade periods yeah?

Ps. the lack of acknowledgement for Josh Walker on here astounds me considering his age, potential, what we need plus the fact that he's one of our few KPP who isn't injury prone or unavailable for selection.

Anyway, hurry up and get this offseason started....

So this thread is basically redundant until after the draft and trade periods yeah?
Ps. the lack of acknowledgement for Josh Walker on here astounds me considering his age, potential, what we need plus the fact that he's one of our few KPP who isn't injury prone or unavailable for selection.
Anyway, hurry up and get this offseason started....

Finished would be better.

I don't think we should under-estimate all these blokes "knocking the door down" in the 2nds, as shown by our Liston Trophy vote-getters:

Geelong Cats Football Club
G. Horlin-Smith Geelong Cats 9
H. Mcintosh Geelong Cats 3
S. Blease Geelong Cats 3
B. Raidme Geelong Cats 3
C. Tudor Geelong Cats 3
M. Farrelly Geelong Cats 2
B. Rees Geelong Cats 2
S. Robinson Geelong Cats 2
M. Stokes Geelong Cats 2
D. Gore Geelong Cats 2
J. Jansen Geelong Cats 2
J. Kolodjashnij Geelong Cats 1
N. Cockatoo Geelong Cats 1

N. Dixon Geelong Cats 1
D. Simpson Geelong Cats 1

yep dawson is really knocking that door down

We shall go through this again. It would be rare for a team to rotate midfielders through the backline.
Geelong certainly don't do it. (do you watch?) As far as Guthrie goes,he has become a consistent high
possession winner who runs away from packs,breaks tackles,makes good decisions,doesn't make
mistakes and has precise delivery,he is a far better player than Caddy and yet you can't see him in
the midfield if Caddy is there. If it comes down to having too many mids it would be Caddy looking
for another position. He has good games but is inconsistent,makes bad decisions and has way to many
turnovers to be a top mid. Scott has spoken often of Guthries development as a top class mid.
Just look at the facts as they are and not what is happening in your head,if you do the facts will
speak for themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back