List Mgmt. Best 23 for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

ansonholt

Premiership Player
May 12, 2009
All in Sunbury
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Now that the s***show that was season 2024 is officially over, it might be time to think about who we have, who we need and where they fit.

I realise there is a List Management thread but I'd like to look at positions only, for next year.

Not too many players pick themselves, or at least are solid enough in their preferred or usual positions but let's start with that. This assumes full recovery from any current injury and a more or less full pre-season.

B Archer Logue Corr
HB Goater Comben ---
C Scott Davies-Uniacke McKercher
HF Simpkin --- ---
F Curtis Larkey Zurhaar
R Xerri Sheezel Wardlaw
Int Powell --- --- --- ---

I don't have a spot on the field for Luke McDonald.

I've given Jy another chance. Paul Curtis has done enough this year.

Goater gets picked on promise as much as anything, but we all know what he can do. Corr has been good enough in the latter half of the season.

Thus, I have three on field and four interchange players to find in the off season.

Players not yet guaranteed a spot yet or shouldn't be:
McDonald
Duursma
Hanson Jr
Phillips
Fisher

Average players currently taking up spots:
Tucker
Stephens
Teakle
KDawson

Fringe players we will probably keep or are contracted:
Ford
Stephenson
Pink
Maley*
Coleman-Jones
George
Payne*
Drury
Bergman
WDawson
Hardeman
Goad
* possible delisting

Retired:
Shiels
Greenwood

Let go:
Thomas

Likely delistings:
Harvey*
Sellers
Lazzaro
Nyuon
Taylor*
Free
* = might get another year but unlikely

So that's 2 retirements and up to 6 delistings.

Biggest needs:
Midfield depth
CHF/CHB (interchange with Chom)
Wing

B: Goater Corr Archer
HB: Fisher Logue Tucker
C: McKercher Sheezel Stephens
HF: Simpkin Comben Sleevo
F: Zurhaar Larkey Curtis
R: Xerri LDU Wardlaw
I: Teakle Duursma Powell Phillips
Sub: Ford

Emg: McDonald, CCJ, Hardeman, Scott, Finnbar

Potential ins: Smillie (pick 2) and Luke Parker

Last edited:
I have thought about it a lot watched every game read and listened to peoples opinions over the season and I have seesawed between get rid of and keep but after today I’m convinced Corr has to go. He’s simply too much of a liability to be in this team.

So my team for next year does not have him in it

For North Melbourne to improve as a football team in 2025, they can focus on several key areas:

1. Player Development: Invest in the development of young talent through targeted training programs. Emphasize skill development, fitness, and mental toughness. Identifying and nurturing emerging players will be crucial.

2. Recruitment and Drafting: Continue to build a strong list by targeting top prospects in the AFL draft and pursuing strategic trades. Bringing in experienced players to complement the youth could provide much-needed balance.

3. Coaching and Leadership: Ensuring the coaching staff is innovative and adaptable is vital. They should focus on modern game strategies, such as ball movement, defensive structures, and effective use of forward pressure. Strengthening leadership within the playing group is also important to guide younger players and set high standards.

4. Injury Management: Improving injury prevention and management protocols can help maintain a healthier, more consistent lineup throughout the season. This includes better conditioning, recovery programs, and access to top medical expertise.

5. Game Plan and Tactics: Analyzing and evolving the game plan to better match the strengths of the squad and counter the opposition. This could involve tweaking defensive structures, improving scoring efficiency, and finding ways to control the tempo of games.

6. Team Culture and Morale: Building a positive team culture that emphasizes hard work, resilience, and a team-first mentality can boost performance. Ensuring players feel supported and valued will enhance team cohesion and morale.

7. Fan and Community Engagement: Strengthening ties with the fan base and broader community can create a stronger support network, boost morale, and enhance the club’s identity. Engaged fans can provide a significant psychological boost to players.

8. Data and Analytics: Leveraging data and analytics to make informed decisions about player performance, opposition analysis, and in-game tactics can provide a competitive edge.

By focusing on these areas, North Melbourne can set the foundation for a successful 2025 season and beyond.

AI can coach.

Highlighting that we need to draft/trade/sign a genuine marking CHF in 2025;

B: Archer - Logue - Corr
HB: Goater - Comben - Hardeman
C: McKercher - Sheezel - Stephens
HF: Zurhaar - CHF DRAFT/TRADE TARGET HERE - Duursma
F: Curtis - Larkey - Maley
R: Xerri - LDU - Wardlaw
INT: Simpkin, Scott, Fisher, Teakle
Sub: (From) Ford, Powell, Stephenson

Based on this list, I rate our position groups as;

Backline: 7/10
Centre/followers: 8/10
Forwardline: 6/10
Depth/interchange: 4/10

Highlighting that we need to draft/trade/sign a genuine marking CHF in 2025;

B: Archer - Logue - Corr
HB: Goater - Comben - Hardeman
C: McKercher - Sheezel - Stephens
HF: Zurhaar - CHF DRAFT/TRADE TARGET HERE - Duursma
F: Curtis - Larkey - Maley
R: Xerri - LDU - Wardlaw
INT: Simpkin, Scott, Fisher, Teakle
Sub: (From) Ford, Powell, Stephenson

Based on this list, I rate our position groups as;

Backline: 7/10
Centre/followers: 8/10
Forwardline: 6/10
Depth/interchange: 4/10
l really wish we hadn't re-signed Zuurhar but its done so we have to move on...

CHF is definately our main concern then another mid...l'm tired of concentrating on getting mids. We fall down badly forward of centre and an experience tall forward would be someone l would chase if we can get one.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on current list using an enormous amount of speculation and faith:

B: Archer, Logue, W.Dawson
HB: Goater, Corr, Hardeman
C: Scott, Wardlaw, McKercher
HF: Simpkin , Comben, Zurhaar
FF: Curtis, Larkey, Duursma
R: Xerri, Sheezel, LDU
I: Powell, Stephens, Coleman Jones, McDonald, Hansen Jr

Based on current list using an enormous amount of speculation and faith:

B: Archer, Logue, W.Dawson
HB: Goater, Corr, Hardeman
C: Scott, Wardlaw, McKercher
HF: Simpkin , Comben, Zurhaar
FF: Curtis, Larkey, Duursma
R: Xerri, Sheezel, LDU
I: Powell, Stephens, Coleman Jones, McDonald, Hansen Jr
This team with Clarko at the helm ? Is 17th at best

l really wish we hadn't re-signed Zuurhar but its done so we have to move on...

CHF is definately our main concern then another mid...l'm tired of concentrating on getting mids. We fall down badly forward of centre and and an experience tall forward would be someone l would chase if we can get one.
Zurhaar won tatslotto…. Easy money for the next 5 years for a C grade rookie.
Sucked in suckers he must be thinking ….🤣

For North Melbourne to improve as a football team in 2025, they can focus on several key areas:

1. Player Development: Invest in the development of young talent through targeted training programs. Emphasize skill development, fitness, and mental toughness. Identifying and nurturing emerging players will be crucial.

2. Recruitment and Drafting: Continue to build a strong list by targeting top prospects in the AFL draft and pursuing strategic trades. Bringing in experienced players to complement the youth could provide much-needed balance.

3. Coaching and Leadership: Ensuring the coaching staff is innovative and adaptable is vital. They should focus on modern game strategies, such as ball movement, defensive structures, and effective use of forward pressure. Strengthening leadership within the playing group is also important to guide younger players and set high standards.

4. Injury Management: Improving injury prevention and management protocols can help maintain a healthier, more consistent lineup throughout the season. This includes better conditioning, recovery programs, and access to top medical expertise.

5. Game Plan and Tactics: Analyzing and evolving the game plan to better match the strengths of the squad and counter the opposition. This could involve tweaking defensive structures, improving scoring efficiency, and finding ways to control the tempo of games.

6. Team Culture and Morale: Building a positive team culture that emphasizes hard work, resilience, and a team-first mentality can boost performance. Ensuring players feel supported and valued will enhance team cohesion and morale.

7. Fan and Community Engagement: Strengthening ties with the fan base and broader community can create a stronger support network, boost morale, and enhance the club’s identity. Engaged fans can provide a significant psychological boost to players.

8. Data and Analytics: Leveraging data and analytics to make informed decisions about player performance, opposition analysis, and in-game tactics can provide a competitive edge.

By focusing on these areas, North Melbourne can set the foundation for a successful 2025 season and beyond.

AI can coach.
Bland and generic lacks any substance add names/ideas into each section and also add two other sections Heart Who Has It and Cull List then we’ll see if AI can coach Hoj 👍

Have moved the same deck chairs around the Titanic for 23 rounds. Need some new deck chairs, just to make this task remotely interesting.

Yes and no.

Players who were previously unavailable due to injury, or younger players who have been developing but now should be ready... these are new faces.

Guys like Goater, Maley, Hardeman, etc

Maybe even Brayden George halfway through the season?

That ain't nothing...

B: Comben Corr Archer
HB: Ford Logue Tucker
C: Scott McKercher Stephens
HF: Simpkin Comben Sheezel
I: Duursma Powell Hardeman Goater
Sub: Fisher

I think Ford has the tools and to make it as a defender and it’s his last chance next season.

I hope Colby moves into the middle and Jy moves to a forward role.

What this process has highlighted is we need more mature talent thru the door as the cupboard is still pretty bare.

B: Comben Corr Archer
HB: Ford Logue Tucker
C: Scott McKercher Stephens
HF: Simpkin Comben Sheezel
I: Duursma Powell Hardeman Goater
Sub: Fisher

I think Ford has the tools and to make it as a defender and it’s his last chance next season.

I hope Colby moves into the middle and Jy moves to a forward role.

What this process has highlighted is we need more mature talent thru the door as the cupboard is still pretty bare.
Not enough Combens

Yes and no.

Players who were previously unavailable due to injury, or younger players who have been developing but now should be ready... these are new faces.

Guys like Goater, Maley, Hardeman, etc

Maybe even Brayden George halfway through the season?

That ain't nothing...
They couldn’t even find a spot for Hardiman in the side today. Maley & George haven’t even debuted. These guys cannot be relied upon for our improvement next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Best 23 for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back