Strategy Best 23, Pre Draft edition for Season 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this may seem early, but looking back 12 months, we're kicking this thread off a good 6 weeks later than we did last year

Our initial list changes are in and the trade period complete; as things currently stand the confirmed changes are:

Retirements:
  • Foster
  • Hawkins
  • Tuohy

Senior list delistings:
  • Parfitt
  • Rohan
  • Willis

Rookie list delistings:
  • Hardie
  • Jeka
  • Murdoch

Traded in:
  • Bailey Smith
  • Jack Martin*... Awaiting the DFA signing period to open to officially welcome Jack to the club

Following the trade period, we're currently left with the following picks:
- 45, 57, 75, 93, 111 & 129
For those who may not remember, last year we entered the draft with picks 76 & 94, so let's not discount the value of those late selections

We're also currently waiting contract extension information for:
  • Dangerfield, expected to sign a 2-yr deal
  • Duncan & Stanley, both expected to sign 1-yr extensions

The other unknown ahead of next season is if the tactical sub will stay or we'll instead see the bench extended to 5 players, meaning that the playing 23 is simply the playing 23 - no waiting until an hour before kickoff to find out who's the sub

So, with all we know so far, what are the early thoughts for how we may be lining up come round 1 in season 2025

I know this may seem early, but looking back 12 months, we're kicking this thread off a good 6 weeks later than we did last year

Our initial list changes are in and the trade period complete; as things currently stand the confirmed changes are:

Retirements:
  • Foster
  • Hawkins
  • Tuohy

Senior list delistings:
  • Parfitt
  • Rohan
  • Willis

Rookie list delistings:
  • Hardie
  • Jeka
  • Murdoch

Traded in:
  • Bailey Smith
  • Jack Martin*... Awaiting the DFA signing period to open to officially welcome Jack to the club

For those who may not remember, last year we entered the draft with picks 76 & 94, so let's not discount the value of those late selections

The other unknown ahead of next season is if the tactical sub will stay or we'll instead see the bench extended to 5 players, meaning that the playing 23 is simply the playing 23 - no waiting until an hour before kickoff to find out who's the sub

So, with all we know so far, what are the early thoughts for how we may be lining up come round 1 in season 2025
Love it.

Will go to work on my 23

I couldn’t work out whether I was thinking best 23 to start 2025 or finish so I will be ambiguous (thereby reducing the chance of me being wrong!).

FB: Henry, SDK, Kolo
HB: Humphries, Stewart, Zuthrie
Centre: Dempsey, Bruhn, Smith
HF: Mannagh, Jezza, Miers
FF: Stengle, Scratcher, Henry
Rucks: Conway, Danger, Holmes

Inter: Atkins, Guthrie (!), Bowes, Blitz, Close

So Guthrie I am working with pre season faith…He was on fire in pre season last year…going to double down. But TBH if he doesn’t get up into best 22 we have some pretty handy replacements below

So who did I leave out…some pretty good ones!

Duncan, Stanley - think they will be passed by during the year (Higgins and Dal style)

Every person we draft - pretty rare with Cats to be best 23 in first year

Jack Martin - good back up. If his body gets right he really puts a squeeze on

Knevitt, Clark - our future midfield but still behind Danger/Guthrie is they are at best. Should get plenty of games still

Bews, Mullin, MOC - depends on whether we need a lock down. Could squeeze a midfielder off the bench

COS, My (other) man Ted, Oli Wiltshire, Edwards - have high hopes for all of them but hard to find room in 2025

As I put it down, I really like our 23.

Trying not to fall into the trap of turfing all the old blokes and replacing them with young guys, but I do think that’s the most logical starting point this season.

B: Mullin - J. Henry - Kolodjashnij
HB: Humphries - De Koning - Z. Guthrie
C: Holmes - Smith - Dempsey
HF: Close - Cameron - Miers
F: Stengle - Neale - O. Henry
R: Conway - Dangerfield - Stewart
I: Bruhn - Bowes - Blicavs - Atkins - Mannagh

Could see Bews, O’Connor, Stanley, Duncan or Clark pushing their way in.

Neale and Conway coming on will obviously be crucial, and no back up KPF is a worry, but it’s a really well balanced team I’m confident can do well.

I couldn’t work out whether I was thinking best 23 to start 2025 or finish so I will be ambiguous (thereby reducing the chance of me being wrong!).

FB: Henry, SDK, Kolo
HB: Humphries, Stewart, Zuthrie
Centre: Dempsey, Bruhn, Smith
HF: Mannagh, Jezza, Miers
FF: Stengle, Scratcher, Henry
Rucks: Conway, Danger, Holmes

Inter: Atkins, Guthrie (!), Bowes, Blitz, Close

So Guthrie I am working with pre season faith…He was on fire in pre season last year…going to double down. But TBH if he doesn’t get up into best 22 we have some pretty handy replacements below

So who did I leave out…some pretty good ones!

Duncan, Stanley - think they will be passed by during the year (Higgins and Dal style)

Every person we draft - pretty rare with Cats to be best 23 in first year

Jack Martin - good back up. If his body gets right he really puts a squeeze on

Knevitt, Clark - our future midfield but still behind Danger/Guthrie is they are at best. Should get plenty of games still

Bews, Mullin, MOC - depends on whether we need a lock down. Could squeeze a midfielder off the bench

COS, My (other) man Ted, Oli Wiltshire, Edwards - have high hopes for all of them but hard to find room in 2025

I've got the exact same as you, but Mullin in for Cuthrie. We'll see how Cam is going...

Best 23 for me:

B: Humphries, J. Henry, Kolo

HB: Stewart, Blicavs, Z. Guthrie

C: Holmes, Danger, Dempsey

HF: Mannagh, Cameron, Miers

F: Stengle, Neale, O. Henry

Followers: SDK, Smith, C. Guthrie

I/C: Close, Bruhn, Bowes, Atkins

Some changes I expect next year:

Blicavs was great down back towards the end of the season and this might mean SDK spends more time in the ruck (until his brother arrives the following year).
Humphries is a lock which squeezed Bews out.
I’m expecting/ hoping C. Guthrie back (which automatically improves us compared to Atkins), plus we add Smith.

Couldn’t find a spot for:

Bews, Stanley, Duncan, Mullin, Martin (yet).

As always, I’m expecting to be pleasantly surprised by someone - Clark break out? Clohesy? Mullin to have a massive preseason? Knevitt (I thought this season would be his breakout but Dempsey overtook him).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As I put it down, I really like our 23.

Trying not to fall into the trap of turfing all the old blokes and replacing them with young guys, but I do think that’s the most logical starting point this season.

B: Mullin - J. Henry - Kolodjashnij
HB: Humphries - De Koning - Z. Guthrie
C: Holmes - Smith - Dempsey
HF: Close - Cameron - Miers
F: Stengle - Neale - O. Henry
R: Conway - Dangerfield - Stewart
I: Bruhn - Bowes - Blicavs - Atkins - Mannagh

Could see Bews, O’Connor, Stanley, Duncan or Clark pushing their way in.

Neale and Conway coming on will obviously be crucial, and no back up KPF is a worry, but it’s a really well balanced team I’m confident can do well.
I prefer SDK at CHB, gives him room to be more creative a la his brief stints in the guts in 24.

B: Z.Guthrie Blicavs Kolodjashnij
HB: C.Guthrie J.Henry Stewart
C: Miers Smith Holmes
HF: Close Cameron Dempsey
F: Stengle Neale O.Henry
R: Stanley/Conway Dangerfield Bruhn
Int: Bowes Mannagh Duncan Humphries De Koning
Em: O’Connor Mullin Clark

Couldn’t find room for Bews, Knevitt, O’Sullivan or Clohesy.

Hmm

B: Humphries SDK/Blics Kolo
HB: Zuthrie Henry Stewart
C: Holmes Danger Dempsey
HF: Close Neale Miers
F: OH Cameron Stengle
R: Conway Bruhn Smith

I: Blics/SDK Mannagh Bowes Mullin

I am not putting Guthrie in the 22 until i see him fit and playing well
I expect Stanley will be used for backup if possible and Duncan will be phased out as the year progresses
Bew VS Mullin VS MOC for the small defender role will be interesting
SDK VS Blics in the backline may depend on fitness of Conway/Stanley and of course form.. If SDK returns to 22 form he 100% takes FB

Will also be interesting to see if Clark, Knevitt, Clohesy and COS can sneak in somehow

Last edited:

Retirements:
  • Foster
  • Hawkins
  • Tuohy

Senior list delistings:
  • Parfitt
  • Rohan
  • Willis

Rookie list delistings:
  • Hardie
  • Jeka
  • Murdoch

Traded in:
  • Bailey Smith

Thanks for your detailed explanation, I’m new to this, so might watch the posts + learn.

Hmm

B: Humphries SDK/Blics Kolo
HB: Zuthrie Henry Stewart
C: Holmes Danger Dempsey
HF: Close Neale Miers
F: OH Cameron Stengle
R: Conway Bruhn Bowes

I: Blics/SDK Mannagh Atkins Mullin

I am not putting Guthrie in the 22 until i see him fit and playing well
I expect Stanley will be used for backup if possible and Duncan will be phased out as the year progresses
Bew VS Mullin VS MOC for the small defender role will be interesting
SDK VS Blics in the backline may depend on fitness of Conway/Stanley and of course form.. If SDK returns to 22 form he 100% takes FB

Will also be interesting to see if Clark, Knevitt, Clohesy and COS can sneak in somehow
No Bailey Smith?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My 23, is what I 'hope' the team looks like by the end of the season, with players playing to potential.

B - Guthrie Henry O'Sullivan
HB - Humphries DeKoning Stewart
C - Demspey Smith Holmes
HF - Miers Cameron Mannah
F - Stengle Neale Henry
Foll - Conway Bruhn Clark
Int - Blitz Danger Close Mullin J Martin

I'm hoping players such as Smith, Martin and Conway can get fit and play all year.
And youngsters Bruhn, Clark and Mullin and start really playing to potential.

It would be nice to be able to phase out players such as Atkins, Kolo, Duncan, Bews, Bowes etc
All very handy depth players, but i see greater 'potential' upside in others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Best 23, Pre Draft edition for Season 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back