Fixture 2025 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

"why would we want them?"

Geelong makes a lot from hosting games at KP.

More home games strengthens the argument that we should, under certain conditions, be staging home final* at KP rather than a non-home venue.

* against interstate teams in the first week of finals action.
We should get 11. But do we want that? Saints are happy to move a game or 2 to the G and away from marvel as should all those clubs.
We make plenty of money from playing the big teams at the MCG aswell.
What we lose out on is big game/crowd experience which is crucial for what we actually want…. A premiership.

I would only be keen on this if we had home finals against any club. Not just the small drawing ones, what’s the point of that? Playing only big sides at the G for finals but giving that experience up during h&a is counterproductive.

Last edited:
We should get 11. But do we want that? Saints are happy to move a game or 2 to the G and away from marvel as should all those clubs.
What we lose out on is big game/crowd experience which is crucial for what we actually want…. A premiership.

I would only be keen on this if we had home finals against any club. Not just the small drawing ones, what’s the point of that?

No we don't - it's been repeatedly reported how MCG games aren't a great financial source for the club

Our round 7 clash with Carlton drew a crowd of 87,775 which is our highest MCG home crowd - so that would have been great for the financial bottom line

The round 16 match versus Essendon drew a crowd of 54,698 - that wouldn't have been a good night for the clubs bottom line and we would have been better off with 35k in attendance at KP

No we don't - it's been repeatedly reported how MCG games aren't a great financial source for the club

Our round 7 clash with Carlton drew a crowd of 87,775 which is our highest MCG home crowd - so that would have been great for the financial bottom line

The round 16 match versus Essendon drew a crowd of 54,698 - that wouldn't have been a good night for the clubs bottom line and we would have been better off with 35k in attendance at KP

Yeah 80,000 type crowds are good.
I’m aware 54,000 isn’t. Essendon isn’t a big side anymore.

My point stands, a better balance with GMHBA/MCG is better for the main goal - a premiership. Do you disagree with that?

Yeah 80,000 type crowds are good.
I’m aware 54,000 isn’t. Essendon isn’t a big side anymore.

My point stands, a better balance with GMHBA/MCG is better for the main goal - a premiership. Do you disagree with that?

Essendon had over 83k members this year & were 3rd on the ladder at our time of playing them - if ever we were going to have a high drawing match with them, it was going to be this season

As for the bold - No & Yes

If we can turn KP back into a fortress and win our home games on our home ground, that puts us in the best position to qualify for finals & push for top 4

This season we played 6 H&A matches at the MCG - we went 4-2 in those 6 with many thinking it would have us better prepared for the prelim than Brisbane, yet the ground didn't have that much of a negative impact on them

I'm not too upset of our MCG match tally drops by one and we play only the 5 H&A games at the venue next season. 10 games at our true home ground of KP and 5 matches (1 home & 4 away) at the MCG seems a pretty good balance

Any chance of Collingwood heading down the highway for the first time this millennium?

Would love it - Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, & Hawthorn should be on rotation to travel down the highway

I've read it suggested that Geelong will essentially be playing away games though to the above teams for the next decade though

Would love it - Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, & Hawthorn should be on rotation to travel down the highway

I've read it suggested that Geelong will essentially be playing away games though to the above teams for the next decade though
It would be nice to see Coll play any of the "crap places" Tassie, Darwin, Alice, Mars, KP etc but they never do

Will be interesting how they weasel out of Tassie when it gets its own team

It would be nice to see Coll play any of the "crap places" Tassie, Darwin, Alice, Mars, KP etc but they never do

Will be interesting how they weasel out of Tassie when it gets its own team

They'll have a clause in their contract that doesn't permit them to fly over water...

Damn I don’t want more games in Geelong. Membership cost goes up with seat and afl membership is less valuable.
Playing a good mix of mcg/GMHBA is far far better as we don’t get home finals.
Really shooting ourselves in the foot here.

We should be allowed more games but why would we want them? Keep it at 9, even 8.
Bottom like making more money at KP

Bottom like making more money at KP
On that, I sure hope to see bigger crowds there next year.

I have gen admin and stand usually, but did buy some seats for a game.

Bloody pricey. I think they should be a bit cheaper. Sell more, well more food and drinks, build up the atmosphere at the games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On that, I sure hope to see bigger crowds there next year.

I have gen admin and stand usually, but did buy some seats for a game.

Bloody pricey. I think they should be a bit cheaper. Sell more, well more food and drinks, build up the atmosphere at the games.
I went to the Hawks, Eagles, Dogs games
One was terrible weather but the other 2 seemed fairly decent atmosphere with low 30ks crowd.

But I sat in GA

the club is geelong. That money deserves to stay in the city. Melbourne based supporters still get it good with 6-7 away games (im one of them).

If you have an afl membership dont need a reserved seat, just scan in for GA in the selwood stand.

This is great news and I welcome it. Would love the afl to publicly commit to every club playing in Geelong, Tassie and NT at least once each every 4 years.

I would only be keen on this if we had home finals against any club. Not just the small drawing ones, what’s the point of that? Playing only big sides at the G for finals but giving that experience up during h&a is counterproductive.
Cats don't actually get a blockbuster financial return from a blockbuster home game at the MCG. GMHBA is where the money's at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixture 2025 AFL Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back