Best 30 minutes of football ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

There's always elements of luck fused into dominant passages of play by teams.

Collingwood's prelim against Richmond in 2018. The 5 or so minutes in the third quarter in the 2008 GF when Hawthorn broke the game open. Many other examples, but the consistent theme is that the ball on many occasions is just bouncing perfectly for players and goals which ordinarily wouldn't be kicked, are. If you're the opposition, sometimes there really isn't much you can do to combat it.

A few things happened at the end of that 3rd quarter which were very fortunate for Melbourne and resulting on them regaining confidence and then incredible momentum.

- a ruck contest on centre wing when it was 40-59, Viney and Bailey Smith both fumbled/overran the ball and it basically fell in Harmes hands - who delivered it perfectly to Fritsch. That was an incredibly important goal to as another to the Dogs (crazy as it sounds now) might have given them an unassailable lead. But Melb had some luck there.

- Next centre clearance - I believe Petracca belted it forward, Fritsch made a contest and the crumb basically bounced straight into his hands - another goal.

After that, apart from a missed free kick against Pickett (that I can recall), almost everything that could go right for Melbourne did, and conversely everything possible went wrong for the Bulldogs. You could play the last 10 minutes of that 3rd quarter 100 x and Melb would never replicate those seven goals especially against a team of the calibre of the Bulldogs.

The last goal of the quarter by Oliver, 9 times out of 10 he would probably miss that - not typically a strong finisher in front of goal. But by then they were simply in the zone and playing with any fear or doubt.

the 74 point margin looks unfathomable on paper, but it makes sense when put in the context of the psychological blow that ten minutes at the end of the third quarter had on the Dogs. I don't think they did a lot wrong - but they simply could not get their hands on it which was a combination of some good fortune for Melbourne which that capitalised on with some freakish skill.

Collingwood's prelim against Richmond in 2018. The 5 or so minutes in the third quarter in the 2008 GF when Hawthorn broke the game open. Many other examples, but the consistent theme is that the ball on many occasions is just bouncing perfectly for players and goals which ordinarily wouldn't be kicked, are. If you're the opposition, sometimes there really isn't much you can do to combat it.

A few things happened at the end of that 3rd quarter which were very fortunate for Melbourne and resulting on them regaining confidence and then incredible momentum.

- a ruck contest on centre wing when it was 40-59, Viney and Bailey Smith both fumbled/overran the ball and it basically fell in Harmes hands - who delivered it perfectly to Fritsch. That was an incredibly important goal to as another to the Dogs (crazy as it sounds now) might have given them an unassailable lead. But Melb had some luck there.

- Next centre clearance - I believe Petracca belted it forward, Fritsch made a contest and the crumb basically bounced straight into his hands - another goal.

After that, apart from a missed free kick against Pickett (that I can recall), almost everything that could go right for Melbourne did, and conversely everything possible went wrong for the Bulldogs. You could play the last 10 minutes of that 3rd quarter 100 x and Melb would never replicate those seven goals especially against a team of the calibre of the Bulldogs.

The last goal of the quarter by Oliver, 9 times out of 10 he would probably miss that - not typically a strong finisher in front of goal. But by then they were simply in the zone and playing with any fear or doubt.

the 74 point margin looks unfathomable on paper, but it makes sense when put in the context of the psychological blow that ten minutes at the end of the third quarter had on the Dogs. I don't think they did a lot wrong - but they simply could not get their hands on it which was a combination of some good fortune for Melbourne which that capitalised on with some freakish skill.

Interesting points - but something has to be said for Melbourne's preparedness & capability to best capitalise on these half-opportunities when they come

Maybe cheap to say in hindsight, but the reality is Melbourne have been doing this all year

Gawn's pick-up & snap in the prelim? GTFO ... & to use a more selfish example, in your triumph against my mob ANZAC eve - I remember Neal-Bullen kicked some "arsey" goals ...

What we have learned over the season is when the Dees find their rhythm, they are hitting this "red-zone" hotter than any other side, & are head & shoulders the best side in the comp. What seem like "favourable bounces" I reckon have more to do with a team being so in-tune with what works for them that they are instinctively finding all the right places to be in

All the pieces are there for the dees to start their own "dynasty". Will be interesting to watch how they go in the coming seasons, particularly if injury hits badly. Flags in spite of injury seems to be part-&-parcel of franking a dynasty

Was incredible to watch.
I said to my mate at half time I thought Burgess' influence would kick in with Melbourne's fitness and sure enough they ran all over them in the last quarter.
Sure, it was more than just fitness, but it still played a significant part.
Very very happy Burgess is coming to Adelaide next year.

this neautral was not dissappointed, it was ******* epic!
Yeah it's always nice to watch a team dominating, but nothing like a nailbiter GF.

I loved 2019, restricting GWS to 25 points in a GF while slamming on goal after goal, but lots on here were hugely disappointed in the no-contest.

Yeah it's always nice to watch a team dominating, but nothing like a nailbiter GF.

I loved 2019, restricting GWS to 25 points in a GF while slamming on goal after goal, but lots on here were hugely disappointed in the no-contest.
The thing Is it was very much a contest.....with less than 60 seconds to go til 3/4 time there was only 6 points in it. Then the dogs just got obliterated.

It was scintillating. It started with Viney clearing space for Harmes who for the first time all match was clean in his handling and kicking to the advantage of Fritsch.
Fritsch's next goal was freakish. Attempted speckie. Lands like a cat. Traps the ball one-handed and goals. The Demons were on their way.
The centre clearance stuff after that by Jackson, Viney, Petracca and Oliver was out of this world. The speed, the skill, the power.
Sparrow 50 metre goal off one step. Petracca's dribble goal from an angle, Brayshaw's diving mark and goal, Oliver's speed and power to run through the front of the stoppage. James Brayshaw's commentary of that: Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang! Bang just added to the excitement.

As for being the best 30 minutes of football. 1970 will take some beating but what we saw last night was an injection of nitroglycerin to a contest that we haven't maybe ever seen before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t really think it was real competitive football after Fritsch’s first goal after in the last quarter.

Definitely has to be the one of the best 5-10 minutes or whatever it was though.

17 minute mark 3rd quarter, Bulldogs led by 19 points. From that point on Melbourne kicked 16.4.100 to 1.1.7 in a grand final.

Best 30 minutes ever played?

Yeah as good a flogging as you'll see over 30mins. Pure domination. And considering it was the GF (with a reasonable expectation that their opponent was a pretty good side), I'd say it's right up there.

Sure, there are a zillion possible permutations of how any game can pan out; enough to cause smoke to billow out the back of the most powerful computer.

But I think we can categorise most of what happended as the snowball effect.

Melbourne are bloody good, but so are the Dogs. And yet once enough one percenters went Melbourne's way, and none went the Dogs' way, suddenly there was no force in the universe that could get in their way. (I'm very happy for you.)

As clinical a destruction as I've ever seen. Dogs would have been shell-shocked and then went from an attacking to defensive mindset and game over. They were behind the 8ball and overrun at every moment from then on.

Dees forwards would have been salivating at seeing Trac run away from the centre as they were going to get fed on a silver platter.

It was actually scary watching how easy the Dees picked the Dogs apart in that last 30 or so mins.

17 minute mark 3rd quarter, Bulldogs led by 19 points. From that point on Melbourne kicked 16.4.100 to 1.1.7 in a grand final.

Best 30 minutes ever played?
I couldn't really believe what I was watching.

Not only was it a phenomenal play from Melbourne, but it was also one of the greatest sudden fails and capitulations I have ever seen from the Dogs.
It's like from a certain point, for no rhyme or reason, the Dogs went from being maybe 1-2 goals from sealing the premiership, to just giving up and walking off the field.

Before my time. And I'm really old!
Before my time too. Never saw it. Just see the scores of Carlton only about 8 to 9 goals in both those finals and rope and dope at it best considering what was to come next time those two teams meet in the grand final, weeks later.
It probably the one game in history I would love to have time machine and go back to experience myself. 1970 and 72 I'd be torn what year to direct the time machine to take me too.

I couldn't really believe what I was watching.

Not only was it a phenomenal play from Melbourne, but it was also one of the greatest sudden fails and capitulations I have ever seen from the Dogs.
It's like from a certain point, for no rhyme or reason, the Dogs went from being maybe 1-2 goals from sealing the premiership,
They were never really one or two goals from sealing premiership. They needed 5 or more goals to feel like that would be the case. Was only half way through third quarter.

The only thing I can liken the final third of the Grand Final to is when you play one of the old AFL games and win 400-6.

It was a bigger destruction than what Geelong did to Melbourne down at the cattery all those years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best 30 minutes of football ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back