Toast Best footy photos ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome shot of the great John Nicholls with a young Robert Walls behind him.View attachment 268156

He must have been a hell of a player Nick. Before my time, but the ol man loved him.

Is in the AFL Team of The Century, and i reckon virtually every footy fan of any stripe would rate Farmer, S.Madden and Nicholls(in whatever order, mostly that order) as the 3 greatest Rucks ever.

One thing that stands out to me about Nick is him going to FF for the 72 GF and booting 6 goals in his final game.

Only real champs can do things like that as an ageing warrior in Grand Finals.(L.Matthews, G.Williams. D.Jarman).

Last edited:
He must have been a hell of a player Nick. Before my time, but the ol man loved him.

Is in the AFL Team of The Century, and i reckon virtually every footy fan of any stripe would rate Farmer, S.Madden and Nicholls(in whatever order, mostly that order) as the 3 greatest Rucks ever.

One thing that stands out to me about Nick is him going to FF for the 72 GF and booting 6 goals in his final game.

Only real champs can do things like that as an ageing warrior in Grand Finals.(L.Matthews, G.Williams. D.Jarman).

Big Nick was pretty much the ultimate physical specimen built to play aussie rules.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Anyone know what year that'd be?

Also the last visible Carlton player looks like some kind of Frankenstein

I'd say 68' GF maybe.

There's quite a few good photos of the big unit around .. image.jpeg

It is certainly not Vin Catoggio.
Face looks too mature and player too tall to be little Vinny.
As someone said earlier, could well be Vin Waite, Jarrad's Dad.
1975_VFL-AFL_Scanlens_19_Vin_Waite_Carlton_Blues.jpg

Last edited:

That wasn't his last game because in the 1973 grand final Laurie Fowler ran through Big Nick and nearly knocked him out, key reason why the Tigers actually got up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is Vin Waite but also looks a lot like Curly Austin. Nicholls was a huge mountain of a man, virtually impossible to move sideways and dominated stoppages in the era before the line down the middle of the centre circle. The best ruckman I have ever seen is Simon Madden who's athleticism would put all but a couple of today's Giants to shame. Nicholls was such a powerful presence he could have been a 700 plus goalkicker had he been used as a forward. It would have been a fantastic day out to go along and see Big Nick and Polly going at it.

Last edited:
It is certainly not Vin Catoggio.
Face looks too mature and player too tall to be little Vinny.
As someone said earlier, could well be Vin Waite, Jarrad's Dad.
1975_VFL-AFL_Scanlens_19_Vin_Waite_Carlton_Blues.jpg
Having looked at a few photos from that era this morning I tend to agree. However I think is Rod Austin, he had those angular features more so than Waite.. all 3 had big hair, that's for sure..

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Best footy photos ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back