Best forward 6 of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Others have said Hawthorn's best forward 6 all time (Hudson, Dunstall, Matthews and Franklin must be included, the last slots all arguable), but Hawthorn's best forward 6 who all played in the same team recently is pretty extraordinary:

Lewis Franklin Gunston
Rioli Roughhead Bruest

All genuine stars of the game.

HF: J.Cameron Hawkins G.Ablett Snr.
FF: Chapman Wade S.Johnson

2012 jumpin', leapin' Hawkins before the back issues.

Senior in that roaming role '84 through '89, interchangeable with the smalls in the pocket.

Wade the target man.

Chapman and Johnson fairly self explanatory as mobile pockets/flankers who push up the ground as well.

Cameron was poor when injured this year and is controversial based on his brief time as a Cat. But peak Cameron on a flank in this side would tear teams apart more than alternatives like Davis.

Ablett Junior played forward well before and after his peak. I have no doubt he'd have dominated on a flank 2007-2014 as well so there's your mobile forward rotation if required.

Mine is identical but with Ablett Jr in a pocket instead of Chapman but either are much of a muchness.

Brownless a more than handy back-up too

Carey CHF
Blight FF
Harvey on a flank
Jim Krakouer in a pocket

Probably throw in Grant as a forward flanker & one of Longmire, Petrie or P.Krakouer.

Definitely weak at the 5th & 6th spot for an all time 6 - but first 4 hold up real well.
I remember in perth the sum of the whole of the krakouers was a lot greater than the sum of the parts.

Was like they had esp for each other. Dunno if it travelled over there - we played more of a running open game ?

If it did Phil’s a lock

Hudson >>>>>>> Roughead.
Roughhead had defensive and midfield advantages over guys like Hudson and Derm, but if you are judging them as forwards Hudson is clear first.

He is arguably the greatest key forward ever (most goals per game all time).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I know it's based on the one about the best back 6 of all time and Hawthorn probably win this one, but since it's season over for 12 teams may as well...

The Eagles one is probably fairly weak but quite competitive.

Darling Kennedy Embley
Ph Matera Sumich LeCras

Post yours - or not.
J Cameron T Hawkins S Johnson
D Wade G Ablett snr P Chapman
Geelong

Some others I like are of course Hawthorn

Carlton

Jesaluenko Kernahan Curnow
Betts Fevola Walker

Sydney

Oloughlin Franklin Okeefe
Papley Lockett Hall

Richmond

Martin Richardson Bartlett
Titus Reiwoldt Hart

Carey CHF
Blight FF
Harvey on a flank
Jim Krakouer in a pocket

Probably throw in Grant as a forward flanker & one of Longmire, Petrie or P.Krakouer.

Definitely weak at the 5th & 6th spot for an all time 6 - but first 4 hold up real well.
Cable?

Kicked almost 200 goals as a skinny CHF in his few years up forward and would've stayed there if his knee didn't blow out in an Anthony Rocca tackle. But Royal is a good call; a little bit of recency bias on my behalf, as Murph was my fav after Granty and Johnno.
He kicked 183 over his career, had 75 to his name from 110 games when the Rocca tackle happened, then spent 3 years still forward kicking 53 from 57 games until he moved back.

He wouldn't get a spot in the Dogs all time forwards list.

Good to see Bewick in there, the bloke was a gun.
Darren F’n Bewick.

I have a theory that as rule every footy fan thinks small forward are annoying little pricks with the only exception being the ones that play for the team they support.

My dispassionate view on Bewick is that he was an absolute gun, only because of all the annoying little pricky small forward to have played the game (since I’ve been watching) I consider him to be easily the worst, even worse than Milne or that other little Essendon ranga turd Moorcroft.

Screw you Bewick you highly talented annoying little bastard.

Regards

S. Pete

Alot of teams have a competitive best forward 6.. what is also interesting imo is the second 6

A side like Carlton will prob have 3x Coleman medallists in their second 6 (McKay, Fev, Curnow)

It’s interesting doing an exercise like this, going back through some of the less celebrated leading forwards at your club.
I had never heard of Percy Martini, our first ‘Coleman’ medalist (obviously in name the award didn’t exist during the WWI era). He kicked 333 goals from 150 games or so.
Cliff Rankin kicked 399 from 153 as a small forward.

I would have to probably put him in our best ahead of someone like GAJ who would obviously be a better player but didn’t spend his whole career there.

George Maloney kicked 303 in 88 games and was among the first players top top the tonne.

Lindsay White kicked 429 in 117 and deserves some consideration.

FF: Puopolo, Franklin, Gunston
HF: Breust, Roughead, Rioli

Lance Franklin (1066 goals)
Jarryd Roughead. (578 goals)
Luke Breust (528 goals - current)
Jack Gunston (452 goals - current)
Cyril Riloli (275 goals)
Paul Puoplolo (185 goals)

Total -3084

Hawthorns 2013 forwardline would hold up alright

FF: Puopolo, Franklin, Gunston
HF: Breust, Roughead, Rioli

Lance Franklin (1066 goals)
Jarryd Roughead. (578 goals)
Luke Breust (528 goals - current)
Jack Gunston (452 goals - current)
Cyril Riloli (275 goals)
Paul Puoplolo (185 goals)

Total -3084

Hawthorns 2013 forwardline would hold up alright
Especially if you put Lewis in over Puopolo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back