Best forward 6 of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

SJohnson Hawkins G Ablett snr
Chapman Wade GAblett jnr
Ablett Junior was a forward 2002-2006 and 2019-2020. A good one too, but that is the version you would be putting in. On that basis I could only see him being a rotation forward from an overall team, and not a starting forward for the club's best forwards ever.

If you used the same guidelines would he still be in? If not, who would take his place as far as players who were predominantly forwards each and every year?

Christ I forgot you even had Jefferson. What's happening with him right now? Pick 14 from memory, but rangy and a lot of development required.

JVR was much more ready made, but Jefferson seemed like a 'project.' Does he look like he'll make it?
Showed some signs at Casey this year (goal a game, but a couple of bags of four), but is still quite a long way off. Didn't help that he had to share a forward line with Brown, Schache, McDonald and Grundy for a chunk of the year, either.

Feel like we'll get a better idea about him next year with hopefully a bit more size and a bit more space inside 50 for Casey.

why Burton? I would have Smart in, but if you wanted a more permanent forward, hen i'd pick Welsh

Well, probably because Burton kicked well over twice the goals Smart kicked, and in 100 less games??
That one isn't even close!

Smart - 116 goals in 278 games - 0.4 goals per game
Burton - 264 in 177 games - 1.49 goals per game
Welsh - 363 in 205 games - 1.77 goals per game

Welsh averaged 0.3 a game more than Burton, but provided very few highlights,
Burton was a human highlight reel.
That's who I went with anyway. You're welcome to post your own.

Good selections.

Welsh 270 goals @ 2.1 per game
Modra 440 @ 3.7
Betts 310 @ 2.1
D Jarman 264 @ 2.2
Walker 574 @ 2.3
Burton 264 @ 1.9

I have Roo in the midfield even though he kicked 292 @ 0.9 per game.

Cheers.
Interested - I got my stats off AFL Tables and they had Welsh at 363 goals in 205 games - Average 1.77.
Edit: just saw he had 4 seasons at North and 2 at Bulldogs.

With Dale Weightman changing if it is a bit tall. 341 goals.
Under rated player because Richmond were crap, but in a fairly illustrious period for State of Origin, 20 games, 2 times captain, 2× E. J. Whitten Medal: (1986, 1990).
I considered him & Martin probably but didn't really go for team balance in my forward line & would probably prefer them as midfielders so when 6 best midfielders thread comes out they will be in!

I like this one a lot.
Loewe as a third tall or Riewoldt roaming off a HFF - it's fun to imagine these scenarios because what defence could possibly handle them?

Geelong's you can have Cameron and Ablett Senior on opposite flanks while having two proper target men. Hawks the same with Franklin and maybe even Hudson in the Gunston role.

It’s interesting doing an exercise like this, going back through some of the less celebrated leading forwards at your club.
I had never heard of Percy Martini, our first ‘Coleman’ medalist (obviously in name the award didn’t exist during the WWI era). He kicked 333 goals from 150 games or so.
Cliff Rankin kicked 399 from 153 as a small forward.

I would have to probably put him in our best ahead of someone like GAJ who would obviously be a better player but didn’t spend his whole career there.

George Maloney kicked 303 in 88 games and was among the first players top top the tonne.

Lindsay White kicked 429 in 117 and deserves some consideration.

Had a grandfather who supported South (who White also played for) and said he was one hell of a player. Pretty solid record.

Any love for Capper?
Yep, ask Wazza
Ablett Junior was a forward 2002-2006 and 2019-2020. A good one too, but that is the version you would be putting in. On that basis I could only see him being a rotation forward from an overall team, and not a starting forward for the club's best forwards ever.

If you used the same guidelines would he still be in? If not, who would take his place as far as players who were predominantly forwards each and every year?
No GAJ?
Ok, I'll give you
1.John Sharrock, but even he played the odd game as a FB. A brilliant hf whose career was cut short by injury.
Recall that SJ also played as a gun mid for several seasons, as did Mathew Stokes.
2. Billy Brownless.
3. Bruce Lindner, brief but brilliant career with Geelong, over 2 goals a game, and very entertaining
4. David Clarke SNR- classy, accurate, brilliant HFF
5. Lindsay White- about 3 goals a game, reportedly a gun.

But I'm happy to fix GAJ there.

If we have to do a MF 6, I will also include GAJ there unless that is precluded?

I saw all of those except White

Huddo kicked over 2000 goals in all senior football.

In his last two full seasons combined in Tassie (78 & 79) he kicked nearly 400 goals across all matches. And Tassie footy was in pretty good shape then.

He was a goalkicking machine.

You do look back now and wonder why the hell he only played one full season here after 1972. It's not like he wasn't playing footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be swapping out Ablett junior for David Clarke as a forward I think.
ok. Thought about that one.
I loved Clarke as a player, and used to run with him at Landy Field off season. He was a fitness fanatic, and a really classy player.
I suppose if we do a midfield 6, I can't have GAJ in both sections.

Carlton
HF: Jesaulenko Kernahan Johnston
F: Ashman Fevola Vallence

• Betts probably gets Ashman's spot as a pure forward pocket if you consider his whole career not just his career at Carlton.
  • If Curnow keeps going as he is for another few years, he takes Vallence or Fev's spot.

What about 2013 GF forward line of
Puopolo - Roughhead - Rioli
Gunston - Franklin - Breust

Would take on some of these 'all time" teams from other clubs

Yep, ask Wazza

No GAJ?
Ok, I'll give you
1.John Sharrock, but even he played the odd game as a FB. A brilliant hf whose career was cut short by injury.
Recall that SJ also played as a gun mid for several seasons, as did Mathew Stokes.
2. Billy Brownless.
3. Bruce Lindner, brief but brilliant career with Geelong, over 2 goals a game, and very entertaining
4. David Clarke SNR- classy, accurate, brilliant HFF
5. Lindsay White- about 3 goals a game, reportedly a gun.

But I'm happy to fix GAJ there.

If we have to do a MF 6, I will also include GAJ there unless that is precluded?

I saw all of those except White
Yeah remember Lindner, on his day could grab the game by the scruff and rip it apart. Cats were spectacular with him and Gary senior in the team.

I’m just trying to remember if he played in 89 or if he’d already left the Cats by then?

Carlton
HF: Jesaulenko Kernahan Johnston
F: Ashman Fevola Vallence

• Betts probably gets Ashman's spot as a pure forward pocket if you consider his whole career not just his career at Carlton.
  • If Curnow keeps going as he is for another few years, he takes Vallence or Fev's spot.
Now that’s a Front 6!

Yeah remember Lindner, on his day could grab the game by the scruff and rip it apart. Cats were spectacular with him and Gary senior in the team.

I’m just trying to remember if he played in 89 or if he’d already left the Cats by then?
Played hbf in the GF. One of our best

Not sure if you are serious, or really young.
Great player, 66 flag skipper and KF at only 178 cm.

I'm 43, does that make me young or old? Did he ever win a Coleman medal? I'm sure I can google any player, but that doesn't mean I should know every single player, or that anybody else does.

I'm 43, does that make me young or old? Did he ever win a Coleman medal? I'm sure I can google any player, but that doesn't mean I should know every single player, or that anybody else does.
Young.
It wasn't a criticism, just wasn't sure if you were being facetious or not.

ps I'm old

Remove this Banner Ad

Best forward 6 of all time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back