Best Forward line in AFL...

Remove this Banner Ad

Kaitsey said:
sorry guys but sydney has the best forward line. talent wise and productivity wise.

Hall, O'Laughlin and Davis are all class, its true. Their style really sets those fellas up, but the set-up works because they're so good one-on-one. The Saints have more quality big forwards than anyone (if fit, but that proviso has to apply to all teams in this discussion) but what about crumbs? Milne used to be dangerous, now he's not even annoying.

The Bombers core of Lucas Lloyd and Hird is also very classy. Like the Saints, if they come up with a crumber they'll be very very good. For potential the young Hawks look very very dangerous: Williams is already a gun, Franklin is a terrifying prospect, there's quite a bit of young height down there and they're still improving.

Brisbane is fantastic theoretically. Brennan is as difficult to match up on as Tarrant, Bradshaw has everything a forward needs, and Brown has shown he can take over the Lynch role (before he got injured, buit we're assuming fit and firing forwards). However they don't seem to gel well. They've lost proabably the best scoring midfielder in Aker, they need a better crumber than McGrath has been.

Melbourne have a skilled set-up, potentially the best. I reckon they're gutless twerps (hello RJ), but they can kick goals and thats what matters.

We had a very good forward line in 2006, on the front end of a pretty slow midfield patched up with flankers: Rocca dobbed 50 goals on one leg, Didak made AA on one leg, and Tarrant ripped many a defnse up with hard running. However half that set-up is gone (Taz will be in purple, Didak in rehab). Cloke, Rusling and Thomas are all fine prospects, but not proven.

Realistically injury will diminish the Pies, Saints and Brisbane forward lines. Melbourne and Sydney will probably have the best attacks in the league, with Hawthorn the smokey.

Seeing this a "name your forward line"

Than i will.

Akermanis Grant R.Murphy
Robbins Johnson Montgomery

Not bad at all.

I reckon yeah the swans still have the best with hall, o loughlin, o'keefe, davis and buchanan etc etc etc.
Dockers and Saints would be next in line.

On the other end COLLINGWOOD WILL DRAMATICALLY CHANGE next year for the WORSE.

1. Tarrant Gone
  2. Didak INJURED
  3. Rocca - getting past it
  4. CAREY out CARRACELLA in (what a joke, carracella forward coach??)

swoodley said:
What about

Lloyd, Lucas, Hird, Johns, Lovett and one more

Certainly better than most as long as they stay fit

who didn't love that forward line back in the day when it was

Lloyd, Lucas, Hird, Mercuri, Caracella (when he could play) and a host of other champs.

argh - one of the great complete forward lines since I watched footy

sharpie said:
who didn't love that forward line back in the day when it was

Lloyd, Lucas, Hird, Mercuri, Caracella (when he could play) and a host of other champs.

argh - one of the great complete forward lines since I watched footy

i think the best one ever was:

space space space
space Carey space.

worked well at North, it did.

Stylus said:
So basically the conclusion is every team has the best forward line in the comp? :p
No West Coast and Adelaide's forward lines are crap.

Ironically Carlton and Essendon are looking the goods!:thumbsu:

Coin_Toss said:
Carlton? please stop with the humanity!

Fevola kicked 80 goals, yeah good effort. Where were the rest?

I'm thinking Kennedy will be a ripper. And assuming Waite and Fisher will have a better run with injuries. Plus Fev and Betts. So 07 coluld be huge for Carlton.
Still think Bombers with the twin L's will be nice in 07.
Think Pies might suck. Rocca.....haha

Hopefully North's will be:

Grant Hale/Gumbleton (if we get him) Jones
Harvey Thompson Archer?

Still desperately need a CHF and a crumber especially now that Harding's injured for 07.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

freo grover said:
What team do you will have the best forward line going into the 2007 season?

Trying not to sound bias, I would have to say Freo would be up there, if not the best now. Of course that all depends on whether Tarrant can live up to expectations and that Farmer and Pav continue to dominate. While the young Murphy keeps developing and Sandilands and Longmuir rotating up forward.

Sounds pretty good to me
Freo would be right up there, st. kilda are pretty good with reiwodlt and gerhig if both can fire.

HF: Hamill, Riewoldt, Harvey
F: Koschitzke, Gehrig, Milne

Will dominate in 2007, especially considering we will have Hayes back, Ball fit, Dal Santo not having to cope with a (heavy) tag. Plus, there will be someone to actually hit it to those guys rather than having to shark it from the opposition ruckman.

If there aren't any major injuries, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gehrig kick 80, Riewoldt 60, Milne 50, Koschitzke 30, Hamill 25 and Harvey 20.

We may also see cameos from X.Clarke, Goddard, Brooks, Watts, Gardiner, Ackland, Gwilt and perhaps Sweeney.

Other good ones

Fremantle
HF: Tarrant, Pavlich, Headland
F: Longmuir, Murphy, Farmer

Sydney
HF: O'Keefe, Hall, Buchanan
F: Davis, O'Loughlin, Schneider

Jeremias said:
CHF: Gibbs/Carrazzo/Murphy Kennedy Fisher
HF: Waite Fevola Betts

One of the best on paper. If we can get the delivery right, could end up being the best in practice.

Now why is that one of the best on paper?

Carazzo - Can't kick, inconsistent
Kennedy - Did nothing in his few games this year
Fisher - Hasn't done anything for a long time
Waite - Decent player, but no star
Fevola - Best FF in the comp
Betts - Ok crumber

The only great forward there is Fev, then Waite and Betts are ok, but after that there is very little. I'd be surprised if anyone apart from Fev kicked more than 25 goals for Carlton next year.

bushie said:
Definitely the dockers on paper. But only if Tarrant can deliver on his potential and is played HFF and feeding Pav, Murphy etc.

As for the midfield...that would be the same one as last year that got us into 3rd spot and a game out of the GF, plus a few likely youngsters..ie: Johnson and Mundy coming in there next season from the backline, plus of course Solomon coming now and then to give some grunt.

Our mid field is seriously under-rated and that is how we like it.

4th and read the hundreds of posts throughout BF, particularly related to last years losing grand finalist you will see your season was no better than Carltons, not my thoughts but that's the rules on BF.

mad-saint-guy said:
HF: Hamill, Riewoldt, Harvey
F: Koschitzke, Gehrig, Milne

Will dominate in 2007, especially considering we will have Hayes back, Ball fit, Dal Santo not having to cope with a (heavy) tag. Plus, there will be someone to actually hit it to those guys rather than having to shark it from the opposition ruckman.

If there aren't any major injuries, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gehrig kick 80, Riewoldt 60, Milne 50, Koschitzke 30, Hamill 25 and Harvey 20.

We may also see cameos from X.Clarke, Goddard, Brooks, Watts, Gardiner, Ackland, Gwilt and perhaps Sweeney.

Other good ones

Fremantle
HF: Tarrant, Pavlich, Headland
F: Longmuir, Murphy, Farmer

Sydney
HF: O'Keefe, Hall, Buchanan
F: Davis, O'Loughlin, Schneider
Saints over-rated

Hamill - should give it away
Riewoldt - gun, but needs to kick the big goals
Harvey - not a forward, cant kick at goal to save himself
Kosi - hope he gets on the park, who will be playing CHB & Ruck for the aints next year tho??
Gehrig - good FF
Milne - one trick pony, seems the aints wanted to get rid of him, but nobody wanted him.

From those 6 u have two gun forwards, Roo & g-Train
1 hopeful who may be better suited elsewhere, kosi
a dud who never plays - hamill
an elite midfielder that never played forward as he cant kick goals, harvey
and milne who u didn't want

sydney & freo streets ahead

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Forward line in AFL...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back