Best Forward Line In The Afl

Which team has the best Forward Line?

• Adelaide - perrie, johncock, stevens, welsh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • West Coast - Mcdougall, Seaby, (no more true forwards)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Willy said:
but thats a bit rough on WCE ??
No Matera ?
Sure he's a dwarf, but a bloody good one.

cheers FW.

they sometimes play sampi in the forward line. he's the guy who kicks the last goal in the match to beat the bulldogs. you'd remember him?

these are terrible forward lines. have you watched any AFL regularly?

I voted for Collingwood, Essendon and St Kilda.

St Kilda are the best, they got over 150 goals out of Gehrig and Riewoldt, and Gehrig won the Coleman.

Collingwood's forward line suffered injuries last year, but when Tarrant, Rocca and Fraser are all operating as tall options, with Didak and Davis there to crumb, it is a pretty dangerous lineup.

Essendon I put because they have a tendency to do a lot better in the forward line than the players would suggest. I'd put forth that only Lloyd and Hird kick goals reliably in the forward line, but they always tend to get somebody else doing it, be that Lucas, Cupido, Lovett-Murray, Jobe Watson, anybody.

Port's forward line obviously really sucks, because they have so many different players that can play there, as opposed to just four good forwards.

To answer the question: St Kilda.

Doggies05' (in the poll) said:
West Coast - Mcdougall, Seaby, (no more true forwards)
Huh? Given some of the names you have included, can I mention:

Phil Matera (only the best small forward in the competition), Brad Smith (mature age recruit, WAFL leading goalkicker in '04 with 109), Michael Gardiner (is apparently going to be a forward in '05, and if you can include Seaby...), Travis Gaspar (injury prone but talented CHF), Ash Hansen (played as CHF this year), and Ashley Sampi (look who you've included under other clubs).

Some of them might not be champions, but they're clearly forwards

Porthos said:
Port's forward line obviously really sucks, because they have so many different players that can play there, as opposed to just four good forwards.
Yep. It's a shocker. :p And lets limit it to 4 forwards instead of your teams ideal starting 6 forwards to totally screw up any real comparisons.

Gee, I'm dreading seeing Port line up as :

FF : White Primus Wanganeen
HF : Dew Tredrea Pickett

What hacks! All they could muster between them are 4 AA CHF representations, a brownlow medal, a Norm smith medal, 3 more AA players and one of the top 5 kicks for distance in the league. What a crock! Surely worse then every other forward line out there!

</End sarcasm>
Put in the 6 players that make up each teams normal forward line (or expected normal forward line for the bulk of next year) - this means don't list players who are going to be mostly midfielders - and Port's 2005 forward line beats any other sides one that's been put up.

Has to be ports forward line they strong on field and paper. St kilda then essendon for me. Essendon forward usually consists of Lloyd Cupido Hird Murphy Lucas and Rioli, that is a good forward line just essendon dont get the the midfield support like clubs such as lions port and saint kilda.

Andre said:
Put in the 6 players that make up each teams normal forward line (or expected normal forward line for the bulk of next year) - this means don't list players who are going to be mostly midfielders - and Port's 2005 forward line beats any other sides one that's been put up.

errrr

HF: Hamill - Riewoldt - Kosi
F: Milne - Gherig - Guerra

Without tredrea those players would have kicked 87 goals, not even higher than gherigs tally. why didn't you put lade or thurstans or Mahoney instead of white

Cant see how the Saints with Guerra & Milne, who hardly got a kick in the last half of the season and Collingwood with Neon Leon in their best 4 forwards can be rated the best forward lines in the league.

What about the dees?

Neitz is an imposing figure who is one of the best leaders and contesters in the league. Davey is the most exciting small forward, Robbo bobs up every now and then, also Green has the best kick in the game and Bruce is a dynamo. Miller is the second best young CHF in the league. If he kicked more goals he'd be an out and out superstar

HF: Robertson Miller Green/Bruce
FF: Davey Neitz Holland

(Log in to remove this ad.)

milnedog44 said:
Kosi could also be added. The top 6 on our goalkicking list are forward line players.
1. Fraser Gehrig 103
2. Nick Riewoldt 67
3. Stephen Milne 46
4. Brent Guerra 29
5. Aaron Hamill 27
6. Justin Koschitzke 20

Where as the top 6 of Brisbanes there are only 3 forward line players, Voss counts as midfield.
1. Jason Akermanis 44
2. Daniel Bradshaw 40
3. Alastair Lynch 40
4. Jonathan Brown 39
5. Michael Voss 31
6. Tim Notting 30

Ok 72% of StKilda goals are by forwards, compared to Brisbanes 40%. So i know which i would rather.

Note Brisbane forward line i used was the top 6 forward players not including notting and voss. So it was Bradshaw, Lynch, Brown, McCrae, Carracella and McGrath

Would be interesting to see how many combined games the 6 forward players you have used for each team, actually participated in. From a Lions perspective you'll find Brown & Lynch the 2 focal points did miss large portions of the year.

You seemed to have left Akermanis out also despite spending the majority of his time on the ground up forward. All things considered you might find its not quite as lop sided as you have contrived.

Bobby Beecroft said:
Would be interesting to see how many combined games the 6 forward players you have used for each team, actually participated in. From a Lions perspective you'll find Brown & Lynch the 2 focal points did miss large portions of the year.

You seemed to have left Akermanis out also despite spending the majority of his time on the ground up forward. All things considered you might find its not quite as lop sided as you have contrived.

Kosi also missed half the season as well as Hamill missing a few games here and there as well as guerra and milne. If Aker is considered a forward over an on baller then man you might as well call me the queen. Aker no way spends more time in the forward line if you watch probably 70% of his goals they are all on the run starting from outside 50, therefore he was in the middle when he got the ball not the forward line.

milnedog44 said:
therefore he was in the middle when he got the ball not the forward line.

Not so.

Brisbane's half forward line has a habit of pushing high and creating room for Brown/Lynch. I would suggest that at least half of Aker's goals are kicked whilst he is playing as a forward. He will push high to create space and then work back front and square.

Just because a bloke isn't inside the 50m arc doesn't mean he isn't playing as a forward.

Doggies05' said:
I think St.kilda becuase just an awesome fwd line, always dangerous

BUT potentially Bulldogs. With darcy there.

Definetly not brisbane, theyve got knwone other then brown now that lynch has gone

ha ha so funny, Darcy! mate u gotta be joking, if u gave him the whole forward line to himself, he would get brain fade and wouldnt play so well there.

Brown and Lynch were not the only stars in Brisbane's forward line, Bradshaw stepped up late in the year showing the lions can get along without Lynch but now they all have to contribute to the goal scoring cause they cant just kick it long to the goal sqaure, Bradshaw can wrestle but he is a type of player who likes leading for the ball.

If u put in Brown, Mcgrath, Power or Notting and lets not forget Voss, they can easily score more goals then there colllingwood counterparts in a game.

milnedog44 said:
Kosi could also be added. The top 6 on our goalkicking list are forward line players.
1. Fraser Gehrig 103
2. Nick Riewoldt 67
3. Stephen Milne 46
4. Brent Guerra 29
5. Aaron Hamill 27
6. Justin Koschitzke 20

Where as the top 6 of Brisbanes there are only 3 forward line players, Voss counts as midfield.
1. Jason Akermanis 44
2. Daniel Bradshaw 40
3. Alastair Lynch 40
4. Jonathan Brown 39
5. Michael Voss 31
6. Tim Notting 30

Ok 72% of StKilda goals are by forwards, compared to Brisbanes 40%. So i know which i would rather.

Note Brisbane forward line i used was the top 6 forward players not including notting and voss. So it was Bradshaw, Lynch, Brown, McCrae, Carracella and McGrath

Ya mate, Brisbane doesnt rely upon its forward to kick all there goals for them like St Kilda does, they lost all the games when there forwards were well contained. Brisbane has an even contribution from the whole team and mostly doesnt rely upon the forwards to kick the goals, thats why there highest goal kicker only kicked 44 goals.

If u shut down Gehrig and Riewoldt, u shut down the whole St Kilda team, thats from what i saw in game which they lost. ;)

st. kilda hasd the best foward line structure..... gehrig, hamill, riewoldt, milne, koschitzke, guerra, montagna, x. clarke, goddard etc.....

Jubair said:
Ya mate, Brisbane doesnt rely upon its forward to kick all there goals for them like St Kilda does, they lost all the games when there forwards were well contained. Brisbane has an even contribution from the whole team and mostly doesnt rely upon the forwards to kick the goals, thats why there highest goal kicker only kicked 44 goals.

If u shut down Gehrig and Riewoldt, u shut down the whole St Kilda team, thats from what i saw in game which they lost. ;)

Thats what happens when you shut down the two main fowards from any team you loser

NIBBLER said:
BUT potentially Bulldogs. With darcy there.

LOL. Dogs = worst forward line in the league with or without Darcy there.

LOL = except when we beat you twice and cost you a spot in the finals this year!

Jubair said:

Yeah but isn't the discussion about who has the best forward line not who has the most even contribution??? For Brisbanes first game next year we'll shut down Brown, Lynch and Black and we'll be alright... oh wait they already have been shut down by themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best Forward Line In The Afl

Back