Best hit you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Gubby Allan on that rat Essendon runner in the 1990 Grand Final brawl. Good hit.

Reveler said:
Jess Sinclair hip contacted wooshas head.. sure it was illegal but made me laugh seeing such a little guy taking woosha out.

Funny that

Most Dockers players at the time were ******** scared of Woosha

I can still remmember, i think it was Dan Parker actually accelerating away from a contest when seeing him in the first Derby

One that I'll never forget was Byron Pickett on Brendan Krummel I think it was for memory.

Brendan was in a lot of trouble after that hit.

Sheeds said:
One that I'll never forget was Byron Pickett on Brendan Krummel I think it was for memory.

Brendan was in a lot of trouble after that hit.
Make that 2 votes.
A lot of Hawthorn people still have a problem with Pickett because of that incident. It happened literally right in front of where I was sitting at Waverley, and to me it was perfectly legitimate. Great hit (unfortunately :( ).

MACDAICOS said:
3 clear stand-outs for me, all 3 of wish are dedicated to a David Rhys-Jones.
1986 Dennis Banks V Rhys Jones winner BANKS (Rhys Jones broken jaw)
1988QF Darren Millane V Rhys Jones winner Millane (Rhys Jones broken nose)
1989 Greg Willaims V Rhys Jones winner Williams (Rhys Jones another broken jaw)

Poor David gave alot out but got plenty back in return, but has a premiership medal around his neck so must have been doing something right. :mad:

And a Norm Smith Medal for being BOG in the '87 GF to boot!!!

Bestbird said:
I can still remmember, i think it was Dan Parker actually accelerating away from a contest when seeing him in the first Derby

Fair go, I thought I'd almost erased that name from my memory ......... his brother is still having nightmares having to pull the Parker name out of the manure.

Sinclair was lucky that day, the umpires advisor admited that if he was player with "form" or should we say "reputation" he would have been on report.

Woosha on Dermie near the goal line was pretty good.

What is a best hit?

Is it when two players who can see each other bump or is it when one player hits or bumps another who is not looking or isn't involved in the play.

The latter doesn't take any courage and shouldn't get anymore recognition than for what it really is, which is a cheap cowardly shot.

One of the things I liked the most about Woosh is that at times he went after most of the really tough blokes in the game. There are 3 which I particularly enjoy would be on Grinter early in his career, on Brereton on the Subiaco goal line, and my favorite hit of all time would be him and Archer out on the wing at Subiaco- Archer was going back with the flight, Worsfold came absolutely pelting out straight at the contest and poleaxed him- Archer to his credit was out for a second and then bounced straight back up, but it was just worth seeing for having two genuinely hard blokes commit to a contest.

These days there really is noone who lives up to the Brereton-Archer-Worsfold tradition of routinely dishing it out and taking it back when their number comes up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blue Boyz said:
What is a best hit?

Is it when two players who can see each other bump or is it when one player hits or bumps another who is not looking or isn't involved in the play.

The latter doesn't take any courage and shouldn't get anymore recognition than for what it really is, which is a cheap cowardly shot.
I agree......I misread the question I thought it was best hit as in WHACKS! best hip and shoulder though would have to be Stan Magro on Jezza Princess Park 1978 OCHHHH....

Worsfold on Modra who was leading out at full pelt whilst woosha was running back with the flight. Brilliant timing as Worsfold shirtfronted Modra in the air at exactly the same time his fist spoilt the mark. Out cold before his head hit the turf.

Ahh The memories of Woosha

I'll give credit to Dermie though. The crowd was giving him heaps after the hit as well but he took it like a real champ. Just dusted himself off, a couple of shakes of the head and then back into the contast.

Riccuito's on Kemp at footy park is the best one I've seen "live" happened about 30 mtrs from us and made one hell of a sickening sound. Another that sprung to mind was the Crows first game, Dermie and another Hawk (Damned if I can remember who??) decided to sandwich McDermott, personnally I dont think McDermott has actually recovered from that one yet :p

masai said:
Woosha on Dermie near the goal line was pretty good.
Indeed.

I can't go past Worsfold's shirtfront on Wright for the way it affected the entire game. It was like flicking a switch, Collingwood just folded like a card table afterwards.

I also recall him collecting Modra in a big way when he was still with the Crows.

As for Sinclair v Worsfold, I haven't watched the game in years but I seem to remember Worsfold being pretty amused by it at the time. Of course, Jess didn't use the elbow like he did when he flattened Picocicocione.

dA Crow said:
Riccuito's on Kemp at footy park is the best one I've seen "live" happened about 30 mtrs from us and made one hell of a sickening sound. Another that sprung to mind was the Crows first game, Dermie and another Hawk (Damned if I can remember who??) decided to sandwich McDermott, personnally I dont think McDermott has actually recovered from that one yet :p

The other hawk involved was Paul Dear.

Mead said:
One of the things I liked the most about Woosh is that at times he went after most of the really tough blokes in the game. There are 3 which I particularly enjoy would be on Grinter early in his career, on Brereton on the Subiaco goal line, and my favorite hit of all time would be him and Archer out on the wing at Subiaco- Archer was going back with the flight, Worsfold came absolutely pelting out straight at the contest and poleaxed him- Archer to his credit was out for a second and then bounced straight back up, but it was just worth seeing for having two genuinely hard blokes commit to a contest.

These days there really is noone who lives up to the Brereton-Archer-Worsfold tradition of routinely dishing it out and taking it back when their number comes up.

Woosha on Dermie was sheer poetry and the hit on Wright was sickening but legal and bloody effective.

The hit on Archer was a corker and just about any other player in the comp would have been stretchered off and taken to hospital. But Archer to his credit got up and kept playing. He had bugger all impact on the game thereafter but the fact that he got up at all was mightily impressive and showed how tough he was.

Lockett (Playing for the Saints) on Worsfold was nasty but Woosha like Archer got up and kept playing.

Wirrpunda on McManus was a beauty but again, full marks for McManus for getting up off the deck.

Did Pickett and Worsfold ever square off? Byron might have had pause for thought in that contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best hit you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back