Best hit you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

pazza said:
Grinter on Wallace
Wallace was never quite the same player after that.
My favourites were any one of quite a few by Dermie, but particularly the one on Vanderhar.
And also (going back a while) Dipper on Alan Stoneham at Princess Park. Was at that game and was nearly a riot.

How about Adam Hunter and Matthew Lloyd coming together in the 2002 elimination final? Both going for a bouncing ball. Hunter got up, Lloyd didn't. Lloyd got him back at Subi last year, when Hunter jumped in front of his lead and marked. So Lloyd just followed through and pole-axed him anyway.

3rd Grade Maggy said:
Milburn -v- Silvagni.
I can't believe a Carlton supporter thinks that was the best hit they've ever seen. Not even my team but even I thought that was footy at its worst. A disgraceful act on a champion in a game that was no longer even in contention. :confused:

skilts said:
O'Keefe on Sachse. It was immediately obvious that all was not well.

Rather difficult to take any pleasure out of this one as others on this thread seem to be doing about other big hits. Not complaining about the pleasure-taking. Just an observation.

If memory serves me correctly, O'Keeffe make accidental contact with Sachse's head with his knee.

While it had an obvious life changing effect on Sachse, I also believe that O'Keeffe took the whole incident very badly and effected him personally as well as his football.

This kind of incident sometimes puts the hits mentioned in this thread in some kind of perspective as sometimes the deliverer of the hit or bump has no real control of what is going to happen to the other player,

While it is true that hits are part of the game, it is still important for players to take due care when bumping or tackling, as I am sure no player including the likes of Pickett or Worsfold would want cause any other player long term injury.

Neitz on McCabe was one of the best I've seen live - every so often a players career changes with a moment like that. Neitz stamped his authority with that hit (and the one the week later against Rory Hilton).

Lockett on Caven is probably the biggest hit.

Grinter on Wallace, although Grinter was harshly dealt with for it. The ball was in the same frame when his arm connected with Wallace's face.

Byron Pickett's are the best for speed and timing. His one on Nathan Brown (M) was massive, but Browny got back up, even if he had no idea where he was for a few minutes.

mighty mick said:
not best but funny
dougie hawkins lined anthony rock up for an illegal bump came off second best with rock spotting the charge and laying dougie out (fairly) across the western oval turf

I remember that one, it was gold :D

mighty mick said:
not best but funny
dougie hawkins lined anthony rock up for an illegal bump came off second best with rock spotting the charge and laying dougie out (fairly) across the western oval turf

All the North fans were p1ssing themselves in the outer after that one. :D

So many Pickett hits, though the one on Milburn is my favourite. Spalding on McKenna (I think it was) was a great one... like getting hit by a truck.

Both at Kardinia Park

Ablett on Wayne Johnston, pretty much finished him as a player

As a Kid remember Ray Card on Keith Greig on the outer wing. We were standing up the back and could hear his nose break from there

iameviljez said:
Steve Johnson's on Luke Power was one of the best fair hits I've seen in a long time. From a while ago, does anyone remember Ablett almost killing Gastev?

Yeah, back in '93 at the Gabba, didnt get suspended either.

Mooney on Peckett in heritage round this year was also decent.

Blue Boyz said:
While it is true that hits are part of the game, it is still important for players to take due care when bumping or tackling, as I am sure no player including the likes of Pickett or Worsfold would want cause any other player long term injury.

Sure. :rolleyes: Two of nature's gentlemen. Not.

nananana catman said:
Yeah, back in '93 at the Gabba, didnt get suspended either.

Mooney on Peckett in heritage round this year was also decent.

I liked Guerra's on that little red headed c...t, and he shouldn't have been suspended. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cypher said:
Dirtiest act ever like Ablett's on Bardsley. Typical Sheedy act while Essendon supporters think it's legitimate, it was nothing but the act of a thug footballer.
This is one of my fav`s , where was the report ?
Worsfolds on Brereton as others have said was sheer footballing poetry.

Garry Wilson on Jim Jess @ MCG,wing/hff sth side.

a perfectly fair and legal bump which saw one of the greatest and fairest players put down a much larger and more aggresive player.

like seeing peter bell put down (legally) barry hall!!!

The year after Dipper knocked out Alan Stoneham, Hawthorn came to Windy Hill. Dipper got grabbed high, but was paid holding the ball on the Members Wing.
Cameron Clayton got the free and handballed straight away.
Dipper came off the mark and charged at Clayton.
He chested him, and Clayton dropped him with a 1-2 combination.
Dipper melted in front of the Essendon Social Club, which it's fair to say, collectively thought well of the clash.
He tried to get up and chase after Clayton, but his legs were gone, and he stumbled in the wrong direction.
The trainers brought him off and up the race, right in front of me, and his eyes were all over the place.

Leigh Matthews v Andrew Ireland I think it was out at Victoria Park around 1981.
Leigh Matthews v Andrew Demetriou (I think) in the 82 Qualifying Final
Leigh Matthews v Stewart Trott - 71 Grand Final
Dipper v Robbie Flower - 87 Prelim
Rod Grinter v Chris Mew - 87 Prelim

Rusty Brookes said:
Leigh Matthews v Andrew Ireland I think it was out at Victoria Park around 1981.
Leigh Matthews v Andrew Demetriou (I think) in the 82 Qualifying Final
Leigh Matthews v Stewart Trott - 71 Grand Final
Dipper v Robbie Flower - 87 Prelim
Rod Grinter v Chris Mew - 87 Prelim
Leigh Mathews V Bews
police V Leigh Mathews

Remove this Banner Ad

Best hit you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back