Best hit you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

MACDAICOS said:
Yes I apologise it was Paul Dear! :eek:

No worries, couldnt imaging Tony Hall actually doing anything like that; With the way he got injuries Hall would avoided that sort of contact at all costs, he missed 3 weeks once when he tripped over the boundary line :p

Exeter said:
Woosha on Dermie was sheer poetry and the hit on Wright was sickening but legal and bloody effective..

Woosh on Dermie was a thing of beauty and joy forever- a split second before it, Brereton was thinking about wheeling around to get back into play and have a snap, and he basically spun straight back onto Worsfold's elbow- it was so impeccably timed that if anything, Dermott should have been reported for the elbow-headbutt!

I'd recommend getting the Worsfold on Worsfold video which you can buy online for $10 new. Aside from nostalgia inducing footage, and Worsfold looking horribly uncomfortable with a script, it has a segment on all the big hits he was involved in throughout his career.

According to Woosh, the hardest hit he was involved in was actually with Gary Ablett in a SOR match, not so much either him or Ablett getting collected as both seeing the other heading for the ball at the same time and lining up each other simultaneously. As verbose as ever, Worsfold says he liked that one best because 'we were both going very fast and hit very hard, so yeah, it was a pretty special moment.'

Mead said:
According to Woosh, the hardest hit he was involved in was actually with Gary Ablett in a SOR match, not so much either him or Ablett getting collected as both seeing the other heading for the ball at the same time and lining up each other simultaneously. As verbose as ever, Worsfold says he liked that one best because 'we were both going very fast and hit very hard, so yeah, it was a pretty special moment.'

You kind of get the impression that he enjoyed being hit almost as much as doing the business.

Me? assuming I was alive/conscious, I would have just sat there and cried for my Mum to come and carry me off the ground.

One for the ages was Lockett breaking Peter Caven's jaw - very, very unpleasant.

ExTasDeeMan said:
they are all amateurish to say the least compared to Wayne Schwass's bump on Peter Dean at the night final.

right in front of us and we could see Schwass lining him up and he hung in the air before contact was made.

a nice (legal) bump.
didn't do his team much good that night tho ..dean went on to play in a winning g/f

There are certainly career ending hits, if not physcially then certainly in terms of a player's nerve and ability to make a contest.

Plugger on Caven is the best example of that I've seen - Caven was mentally shot after that for a long time.

Got the feeling that Modra too was nowhere near the player he was after Worsfold sh1tmixed him.

Maybe even the toughest players start to hear footsteps after getting hammered badly.

O'Keefe on Sachse. It was immediately obvious that all was not well.

Rather difficult to take any pleasure out of this one as others on this thread seem to be doing about other big hits. Not complaining about the pleasure-taking. Just an observation.

Was he the South Australian player that was rendered a quadriplegic in the 70s?

If so, then you're right, nothing entertaining about that one.

That was more of a freak accident though wasn't it?

skilts said:
O'Keefe on Sachse. It was immediately obvious that all was not well.

Rather difficult to take any pleasure out of this one as others on this thread seem to be doing about other big hits. Not complaining about the pleasure-taking. Just an observation.

My dad tells me that Eric Guy's hit on your namesake ranks with the best of them.

The down side is that most of these hits are blood chilling, with the victim not seeing that they are about to be hit by a truck. Part of footy though, even if it is a part that the powers that be are trying to stamp out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exeter said:
Got the feeling that Modra too was nowhere near the player he was after Worsfold sh1tmixed him.

That was one of the fairest contests I have ever seen, both had eyes on the ball.

Yes he was probably badly shook up after the Woosha clash, but the nail in the coffin (in relation to his body) was visible after the Mumbles "pile drive".

AirportWest #17 said:
Earl Spalding on Guy McKenna 95
(Footscray Player) on Brett Heady 94

But like previous posters I rate Riewoldt's mark above these, and also Jimmy Bartel's.

Steve Wallis on Heady. That was the start of the persecution of the Subiaco Six. No wonder Peter (Ambulance Chaser) Gordon hated the AFL.

First one that comes to mind was this beauty of Whelan's on Hirdy:
bighit.gif

Credit to Hird, he got back up and played pretty well.

1. Byron Pickett on Brendan Krummel at Waverley, 1999
2. Byron Pickett on Darren Milburn at KP, 2001
3. Byron Pickett on Joe Misiti at MCG, 1998
4. Byron Pickett on Nathan Brown (melb) at MCG, 2003
5. Byron Pickett on Simon Godfrey at MCG, 2003
6. Byron Pickett on Brett Kirk at FP, 2003
7. Byron Pickett on Robert Harvey at Waverly in 1998 and YP on in 2002
Daylight...
Carey on rice
Worsfold on Archer at Subiaco in 1998

not best but funny
dougie hawkins lined anthony rock up for an illegal bump came off second best with rock spotting the charge and laying dougie out (fairly) across the western oval turf

mighty mick said:
not best but funny
dougie hawkins lined anthony rock up for an illegal bump came off second best with rock spotting the charge and laying dougie out (fairly) across the western oval turf
Yep, that was an absolute beauty as well. It was at the Whitten Oval in 93. I always found it funny how when Dougie was lying down, Rock gave him a little pat on the back as he trotted away.

NIgel Smart on Paul Salmon at Football Park:- Salmon head down over the ball about to pick it up...Smart coming towards him veers slightly to ensure contact with his hip to Salmons head. Salmon out cold and with a fractured cheekbone. Smart amazingly gets off at the tribunal and then has the cheek to complain about being reported.

Mark Bickley on Darryl Wakelin at Football Park:- Wakelin has handballed to a team mate, Bickley lines him up from 5 metres away....elbow to the head...fractured cheekbone. Bickley rubbed out for six matches and apologises.

In the same game Burton and Montgomery are on the ground after Burton had jumped into Montgomery's back. Montgomery is reported for striking Burton. He claims to have tried to hit Burton but missed. Is suspended. When you look closely at the video you can see that Montgomery did miss but Burton's evidence was that Montgomery had taken a deliberate shot and got him in the face. I asked Burton's sister during the week after the match about him lying at the tribunal and she told me that he had said to her the club had told him to dob on Montgomery. I lying dobber is not a pretty thing!

Football being what it is and young men being what they are inevitably a Port player will at some stage do something regretable in a showdown. Just remember Crows fans you are out in front at this stage. ( Don't give me Shaun Burgoyne on Bassett in the following showdown, that was a fair hit and widely acknowledged as such at the time).

Remove this Banner Ad

Best hit you've seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back