Best sides that didnt win a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne 1958 and 1994. Special mention to 87, who knows what would have happened if Jim Stynes didnt run past the mark.

I dont think you were better than North that year.

The Melbourne team of 1994 was a case of 'what if'. The following players had their careers ruined by injury subsequent to 1994:

Tingay, Schwarz, Lyon, Prymke, Glenn Lovett

Then Martin Pike and Sean Charles went off the rails.

The Melbourne team of 1994 was a case of 'what if'. The following players had their careers ruined by injury subsequent to 1994:

Tingay, Schwarz, Lyon, Prymke, Glenn Lovett

Then Martin Pike and Sean Charles went off the rails.

very, very talented outfit. smashed the dogs all over the park from the opening bell in the first semi and would have belted geelong in the GF had they not had to travel to perth for a prelim.

Collingwood in 1973 suffered the ignominy of bowing out in straight sets after finishing a domineering 19-3 at the end of the H & A season. They are the only team to 'straight set' from that level of wins. Only a handful of teams have won 19 or more H & A games from the time of the 1970 season when 22 rounds commenced (Bar 1993).

Geelong of 1993 would certainly have been the best side to miss the finals, and given their run home that season they would have given everyone a shake. Absolutely thrashed Hawthorn and North late in that season, and beat the Eagles in Perth.

This might be controversial, but there is no question that Adelaide of 1997-98 were the worst team to ever go back to back. Amazing to win just 13 of their 22 H & A games, finish 4th and 5th respectively, and in 1998 lose their opening final by almost 10 goals. But they remained alive as they were the 3rd ranked 'loser' with the 7th and 8th placed sides also losing. Won their last three finals to win back to back.

Port Adelaide probably won more H & A games in a four year period in 2001-2004 before finally claiming a flag. They however choked in the qualifying finals at home (2002-03) against Collingwood and Sydney respectively. They finally won the home qualifying final against Geeloeng in 2004 to set themselves up. They won 16, 18, 18 and 17 H & A games in those four seasons from 2001-2004, 69 out of 88 games. Certainly an amazing record with so few flags to show for it.

1997 was a season set up for some September heroics and a degree of luck. Geelong copped a wet MCG against Carey at night, St.Kilda lost Everitt to injury, and the Dogs lost their way in the last 15 minutes of the preliminary final. Adelaide took advantage and won the flag. But i'd say no side in 1997 that failed to win was a patch on some of the aforementioned sides, which given the criteria of never having won a flag say in their era, Geelong 1989-1995 and Collingwood 1977-1981 have to take the cake. Individually most of the other sides to be dominant in other years subsequently won a flag a year or two later, eg Hawthorn 1987, Essendon 1999, West Coast 1991 or even North Melbourne 1998 .

Must say, this is a great topic which has had some excellent discussions. Kudos to all posters.

very, very talented outfit. smashed the dogs all over the park from the opening bell in the first semi and would have belted geelong in the GF had they not had to travel to perth for a prelim.

The pivotal moment of the 1st semi against the Bulldogs occured just before 3/4 time, when Lyon and Schwarz collided. Both players went off. Lyon had kicked 10 by then, and both players were doubtful for the West Coast game.

In the prelim final, we we're only down by 10 points at half time even though Lyon and Schwarz were ineffective. Tingay was having a blinder, then did his hammy.

As I said, it was a case of 'what if'!

Adelaide 05 and 06, 07, in the AFL era easily one of the best side to not win a flag. We dominated the comp for the better part of two years, and in this season had an "easy" run to the GF, far easier than 05 and 06, losing to a one man band, and no way of shutting him down. The "window" has more than likley shut for us. Although would never write us off.

I think a few people missed the point of thread.
Port and Essendon won flags
As did WCE in early 90s
Geelong if they didnt win this year could be in this catagory.

Maybe Saints, they have a great list. But have not really dominated the comp for a season yet, apart from "The Streak"

The only thing about that Preliminary Final of 99 is that it prevented Essendon from getting baked the following week. After the second half of the 98 GF, there wasn't a snow flake's chance in hell of North losing 99.

This is the factor people always forget.

Watching the Arch DVD the other day, you could still see how much that 98 GF hurt him and others in that team.

We could have played BOTH Eessendon and Carlton in the 99 GF and won comfortably.

Without doubt the 1994 Demons side that eventually bowed out to the Weagles in the 94 prelim. Just look at the forward spine that included spearhead forward Allen Jackovich, a leaping David Schwarz (pre triple knee contruction) and Victorian captain Garry Lyon. Oh and just for good measure David Neitz as the All Australian Centre-Half Back(93') manning the trenches (Wayne Carey's toughest opponent), with the solid dependable Sean Wight.

Yet Wayne's biggest single game hail was 11, many kicked on Neiter.

North's 98 side.

Best team all year by a street.

Even made the Grand Final - unlike Essendon's vastly overrated 99 losers - and only lost because of bad kicking.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound like the qualities of a Premiership team to me?

Maybe you were not as good as you thought yoz were.....:eek:

North's 98 side.

Even made the Grand Final - unlike Essendon's vastly overrated 99 losers - and only lost because of bad kicking.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound like the qualities of a Premiership team to me?

Maybe you were not as good as you thought yoz were.....:eek:

98 side was the best we had all 90s.

The Essendon 99 side couldn't even make the Grand Final. Still, your 2000 team was pretty good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without doubt the 1994 Demons side that eventually bowed out to the Weagles in the 94 prelim. Just look at the forward spine that included spearhead forward Allen Jackovich, a leaping David Schwarz (pre triple knee contruction) and Victorian captain Garry Lyon. Oh and just for good measure David Neitz as the All Australian Centre-Half Back(93') manning the trenches (Wayne Carey's toughest opponent), with the solid dependable Sean Wight. We also had one of the game's pre-emininent ruckman at the time in Brownlow meadallist Jimmy Stynes. Yes we did make the grand final in 2000, but only in 1994 did we have the cattle to go all the way!

Since when did Glen Jakovich play for the Demons and Mark Harvey was AA CHB in 1993.

North Melbourne had Carey, Longmire, McKernan, Adrian McAdam and Brett Allison and the Fridge Mark Roberts in its forward line in 1994. A midfield of Anthony Stevens, Anthony Rock, Wayne Schwass with David King, Craig Sholl and Glen Archer coming of the Half back line and dont forget hardnuts Fairley, Micky Martyn and Ross Smith on the last line of defense.

Since when did Glen Jakovich play for the Demons and Mark Harvey was AA CHF in 1993.

North Melbourne had Carey, Longmire, McKernan, Adrian McAdam and Brett Allison and the Fridge Mark Roberts in its forward line in 1994. A midfield of Anthony Stevens, Anthony Rock, Wayne Schwass with David King, Craig Sholl and Glen Archer coming of the Half back line and dont forget hardnuts Fairley, Micky Martyn and Ross Smith on the last line of defense.

Correction Roo man. Harvs played well all year at CHB in 1993.

I do. You would have set the record for the biggest thumping in GF's to that point a year earlier than you did.
Not the way we were playing. Beat north (who were favourites) by around 120 points. Then smashed sydney by about 90ish and really should have won the prelim. So many lost chances in that final quarter.

We were playing like madmen.

North's 98 side.

Even made the Grand Final - unlike Essendon's vastly overrated 99 losers - and only lost because of bad kicking.
As I mentioned above - you're dreaming. You played Melbourne the week before, who had thrashed Adelaide in their first final, and it was only their bad kicking that meant you even played in the GF. If anything, Melbourne was the unlucky team in 1998.

Since when did Glen Jakovich play for the Demons and Mark Harvey was AA CHB in 1993.
Alan Jackovich played for Melbourne. Or if you're referring to the Carey quote, he said several times Neitz was the hardest CHB he ever played on.

I still think Melbourne would have won that PF if Tingay hadn't gone off.

Essendon's 2001 side should have won the premiership but failed to do so which was quite disappointing...!

North's 98 side.

Even made the Grand Final - unlike Essendon's vastly overrated 99 losers - and only lost because of bad kicking.

i find that highly debatable. the bulldogs were never lower than second all season, lost one of the matches of the decade by 5 measly points, the result of which determined who finished minor premiers. smashed west coast by 12 goals in week 1, then ran into adelaide in a prelim - causing what i believe to have been fear of 1997 repeating itself in the minds of the players who copped a hiding as a result.

what i am saying is, that there is no way north were the best team "by a street" - the bulldogs well and truly matched them all year and i'd like to think that had we finished minor premiers, a grand final appearance would have been most likely - although we would probably have been done by adelaide again for the previously stated reason.

As I mentioned above - you're dreaming. You played Melbourne the week before, who had thrashed Adelaide in their first final, and it was only their bad kicking that meant you even played in the GF. If anything, Melbourne was the unlucky team in 1998.

Alan Jackovich played for Melbourne. Or if you're referring to the Carey quote, he said several times Neitz was the hardest CHB he ever played on.

I still think Melbourne would have won that PF if Tingay hadn't gone off.

Melbournes bad kicking was the only reason we played in the GF? Have you actually had a look at the score from that PF?

North Melbourne 17.12.114
Melbourne 12.12.84

North had 20 more disposals. Took 25 more marks and had twice as many tackles as the Demons.

We had won 10 on the trot up to that point.

i find that highly debatable. the bulldogs were never lower than second all season, lost one of the matches of the decade by 5 measly points, the result of which determined who finished minor premiers. smashed west coast by 12 goals in week 1, then ran into adelaide in a prelim - causing what i believe to have been fear of 1997 repeating itself in the minds of the players who copped a hiding as a result.

what i am saying is, that there is no way north were the best team "by a street" - the bulldogs well and truly matched them all year and i'd like to think that had we finished minor premiers, a grand final appearance would have been most likely - although we would probably have been done by adelaide again for the previously stated reason.

What makes you think you would have played Adelaide in the GF mate?

Melbournes bad kicking was the only reason we played in the GF? Have you actually had a look at the score from that PF?

North Melbourne 17.12.114
Melbourne 12.12.84

North had 20 more disposals. Took 25 more marks and had twice as many tackles as the Demons.

We had won 10 on the trot up to that point.

I believe if you look at the timing of many of the Melbourne misses, they missed a lot of really easy ones at vital times.

But I might just be remembering wrong.

I believe if you look at the timing of many of the Melbourne misses, they missed a lot of really easy ones at vital times.

But I might just be remembering wrong.

Well id say that the whole 80 minutes is vital.

If North Melbourne had of kicked accurately in the last and instead of kicking 4.4, we kick 6.2, 7.1 or even 8 straight then it would have looked like a flogging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best sides that didnt win a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back