Best sides that didnt win a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't read all 10 pages but....

1) Why is it automatically assumed that Essendon would have beaten North in 1999? North had won 18 of 20 going in and had smacked Brisbane (who had won 10 straight by an average of 10 goals) in the PF. The fact that Essendon struggled against Carlton may have woken them up, but it showed that they had some vulnerability. Either way, an Essendon vs North GF in 1999 would have been a cracker.

2) Lots of people have nominated sides who weren't even the best side that year. (ie: the Dogs in 85 or Collingwood in 2002). All nominations here should be sides would were clearly the best side of that season. Therefore WC in 1991 is the standout - on top after every round, 3 losses by a combined margin of 16 points, undefeated against the other 5 finallists, percentage of 162.

3) Other genuine nominations like North in 1998 or Essendon of 1999 or Port 2002/03 all won a flag with that group of players. The Geelong group of between 1989 and 1995 were the best group never ever to win flag. Four grand final losses and a PF loss in 7 years. In the other two years they missed the finals but were complacent in 1990 and finished in awesome fashion in 1993 to just miss in a tight season. Having said that, the only year they could realistically argue that they were the best side was 1992. In '89, '94 and '95 they ran into some of the best sides ever and in '91 we've already discussed the Eagles. In '92 they finished on top, had a big percentage, beat all other challengers, scored over 3000 points, won two finals easily and got out to a 4 goal lead in the GF a couple of times. However, West Coast only finished half a game behind them in a tight season and beat them comprehensively twice in the finals. They weren't the standout best team in '92 like others we've mentioned, but the fact that this group (Ablett, Hocking, Brownless, Couch, Bairstow, Riccardi, Stoneham et al) never won a flag is astonishing and a credit to the sides who did in that time.

What makes you think you would have played Adelaide in the GF mate?

given that you ALSO got beaten by them during that finals series, i'd say it's a reasonable assumption to expect you would have copped the same treatment on preliminary final day...

purely hypothetical anyway - history will (unfortunately) show them as premiers in 1998...

given that you ALSO got beaten by them during that finals series, i'd say it's a reasonable assumption to expect you would have copped the same treatment on preliminary final day...

purely hypothetical anyway - history will (unfortunately) show them as premiers in 1998...

Looks like we're squabbling over which one of us was the biggest loser.

Geelong 1993.

Easily the best team. Essendon?? haha pffft just some young dudes who got a break!!

No one wouldve beaten geelong in the finals that year!

To have never won a GF in recent years....

Adelaide 05 and 06.

That did win a GF eventually....
Power 02, 03, Essendon 99

yep agree with adelaide BUT you didnt play finals well at all. I dont reckon you were anywhere near it in reality. But my god you guys knew how to win a home and away game!! weird ey?

yep agree with adelaide BUT you didnt play finals well at all. I dont reckon you were anywhere near it in reality. But my god you guys knew how to win a home and away game!! weird ey?
We were the best side in 02,03, we beat Brisbane often.

So yes we were the best side of the year, and we didnt win a flag...

Surely winning the 02 and 03 minor premiership proves that....

Likewise with Adelaide, only they missed out on one Minor Premiership.

If the team wins the minor premiership and doesn't win the flag, then they should be in this thread.

SHOCKING umpiring in that match. SHOCKING.

North were very stiff, all the wind was taken out of our sails.:thumbsdown:

Geelong also unveiled the first untouchable player in football history.

Gary Ablett Jnr.

I seriously enjoyed that cut look on his face when he didn't win the Brownlow.:D

Mate we smashed you by almost 100 points. A team that was humiliated the week after by Geelong by a similar result. Please may i ask how you were stiff?

why?

Their the best side in the year and they don't win the flag.

Pretty obvious I would have thought.

Especially if their clearly up ontop.

Port 02 i wouldn't really consider.

They only finished 1 game ahead on top.

They had struggled to beat Collingwood and Brisbane during the H&A at home.

Then they lost to Collingwood at home in the QF
And were spanked by Brisbane in the PF.

During the season they didn't have convincing wins against either Collingwood or Brisbane.....so dont think they should be considered.

Port 02 i wouldn't really consider.

They only finished 1 game ahead on top.

They had struggled to beat Collingwood and Brisbane during the H&A at home.

Then they lost to Collingwood at home in the QF
And were spanked by Brisbane in the PF.

During the season they didn't have convincing wins against either Collingwood or Brisbane.....so dont think they should be considered.

Yeah but we won? :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate we smashed you by almost 100 points. A team that was humiliated the week after by Geelong by a similar result. Please may i ask how you were stiff?

Geelong and Port are the two biggest winners from the Father Son rule.:thumbsdown:

Geelong and Port played off for the 2007 Grand Final.

Coincidence? I think not.:thumbsdown:

Thankfully this embarrassing rule has been altered and in 10 or so years the validity of premiers can return to being untainted.

Yeah but we won? :rolleyes:

rnd 7 - Brisbane beat Port by 57 at the gabba
rnd 9 - Port beat the pies by 5 at aami
rnd 22 - Port beat Brisbane by 6 at aami
QF - Pies beat port by 13 at aami
PF - Brisbane beat port by 56 at the gabba

And they only finished 1 game clear on top

Hardly a dominant team who lost a premiership, they struggled against both the actual GF teams in 02.

Eagles in 05 i figure should be in here for sure.

I remember them winning 15 of the first 16 games and were ahead at one stage by 3 or 4 games on top of the ladder. After that a few injuries occured and we were pretty much assured a top 2 position anyway, resulting in a couple of games dropped.

People should remember it was the general opinion that the coasters were to finish top, and that was why the crows rallied so forcefully to insist the AFL should alter the MCG agreement so they could host a home prelim aswell, which ultimately occured (Funny how only 12 months prior, the lions were required to play their prelim away v the cats due to MCG agreement). The crows busted their balls to beat us by 8 points round 22 Subi, assuring they had equal wins with the coasters but claiming the minor premiership by percentage.

Ultimately the GF was reached, and if it were not for the swannies game style that effectively (whilst being very ugly) nullified our own man on man, free flowing style, the eagles would have won 05 against the other oppositions up there. That regarded, it still went down to the last seconds of the game.

Geelong and Port are the two biggest winners from the Father Son rule.:thumbsdown:

Thankfully this embarrassing rule has been altered and in 10 or so years the validity of premiers can return to being untainted.
Port Father/son????

Brett Ebert is hardly a superstar. Even if he didnt go Father/son Port would still have him.

Nathan Ablett would not of played AFL if Geelong didnt beg him. But you could say Geelong were assisted slightly

Port big winners in father son?

We had 1, and technically he didnt even qualify, everyone just assumed a squillion games by his dad would make him eligible.

Well guess what, the other Ebert is in a similar boat and we didnt get him.

And I hate to break it to you, we drafted everyone else ;)

We had 1, and technically he didnt even qualify, everyone just assumed a squillion games by his dad would make him eligible.

Forget it man, he's just spinning his wheels because both our sides completely and utterly destroyed his sorry mob when it really mattered - in the finals.

He was recruited via F/S. Rucci kept it quiet that he wasnt eligible, unlike the Gibbs saga. Port probably would of picked him up anyway in the draft.

Geelong 1953. The (still to this day) record undefeated run of 26 straight games carried over into this season from 1952 and the Cats were short-priced favourites to knock off Collingwood in the Grand Final to make it three straight. Collingwood played a very unorthodox game and caused one of the great GF upsets.

Both teams had the same number of scoring shots matey.

Yeah, in the end. But if North were as far ahead as they should have been at half time, Adelaide were beaten.

I figure that if 60% is an accepted goalkicking rate then 3 out of 5 shots is OK. 3 out of 5 shots is 3.2-20 so every 5 shots should get you 20 points. Therefore every shot should be worth 4 points. Now let's extend that to the first half of the 1998 Grand Final.

North Melbourne 6.15-51 equals 21 shots which should net a side at least 84 points. Adelaide were 4.3-27 -> 7 shots -> 28 points.

If the score at half time was North 84 vs Adelaide 28, would Adelaide have been able to get back into it?? Doubtful.

But all credit to the Crows who made the better of the chances on the day and therefore were deserving winners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Best sides that didnt win a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back