Betting websites

Remove this Banner Ad

Well firstly, I am happy to allow Centrebet a right to formally respond to my complaint.

If I am unsuccessful, I will prepare a submission to the NT Gambling Commission and let you know the outcome (assuming there is no confidential settlement).

I'm not going to prejudice my arguments by putting them across an open forum.

And I disagree, punters do have the right to expect more from bookmakers.

It should not be a bonus, but standard practice, where punters can immediately notify bookies of any mistaken transaction made over the internet and request the bet be rectified.

It happens in every other industry, so I don't see why bookmakers should be an exception.

Edit: Not that I make many mistakes, but I've always been able to get a mistaken bet immediately rectified from every other single bookmaker.

Second Edit: Also this is a fairly common mistake and I'm sure everyone has done it at least once before. So by all means, punters should be wary of a bookie that takes advantage of mistakes such as this.

Confidential settlement? I can only presume you are hoping for a good will gesture free bet or such because you are not owed anything. Whether you believe the rules are fair or not are irrelevant and you agreed to abide by those rules when you joined. I am genuinely interested what possible angle you could argue if you wanted to take it further?

Confidential settlement? I can only presume you are hoping for a good will gesture free bet or such because you are not owed anything. Whether you believe the rules are fair or not are irrelevant and you agreed to abide by those rules when you joined. I am genuinely interested what possible angle you could argue if you wanted to take it further?

You keep quoting these mythical rules.

Yet when asked to produce any reference to them, I am still waiting :confused:

You seem confident that I can't win, so I guess we'll just see.

Edit: And I will be seeking my full initial stake back, not just a free bet.

You keep quoting these mythical rules.

Yet when asked to produce any reference to them, I am still waiting :confused:

You seem confident that I can't win, so I guess we'll just see.

Edit: And I will be seeking my full initial stake back, not just a free bet.

Lol good luck. You will need it!

Whether you believe the rules are fair or not are irrelevant and you agreed to abide by those rules when you joined. I am genuinely interested what possible angle you could argue if you wanted to take it further?

The first thing that comes to my mind and something that could be explored further in relation to the standard form agreements are the unfair contract provisions of the ACL

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2011C00003/Html/Volume_3#param74

Although I agree with asanque and see no problem with him taking the complaint further, it should be noted that in regards to refunds - a supplier of goods/services is not required to provide a refund in circumstances where the consumer has simply changed their mind (i.e made a simple mistake). I definitely think that it makes good business sense to do so but the supplier will still be well within their rights to refrain from doing so. Note however that if the product/service fails to meet the implicit guarantees (i.e fit for a particular purpose; carried out with due care and skill etc) then the consumer will be legally entitled to an appropriate remedy (such as a refund).

I think I have contacted Cbet twice about cancelling a bet that was placed in error (immediately after the bet was confirmed) and both times they were happy to void the bet. Perhaps the trader was having a bad day

I'm actually laughing at expecting Centrebet to refund it. If they do, it will be out of their own goodwill, instead of being forced to by whoever you're bitching about it to.

There is no rule that says they have to void or refund a mistake. No rule exists, so on what grounds can you say they have to do it? That it'd be nice of them? Well sure, it'd be mighty nice if they did it. But they don't have to do it.

You have literally no leg to stand on other than "this bookie is a meanie".

That ain't enough brah. Your money is gone, just be more careful next time.

I'm actually laughing at expecting Centrebet to refund it. If they do, it will be out of their own goodwill, instead of being forced to by whoever you're bitching about it to.

There is no rule that says they have to void or refund a mistake. No rule exists, so on what grounds can you say they have to do it? That it'd be nice of them? Well sure, it'd be mighty nice if they did it. But they don't have to do it.

You have literally no leg to stand on other than "this bookie is a meanie".

That ain't enough brah. Your money is gone, just be more careful next time.

You must work for Centrebet too ;)

By the way check out Centrebet rule 2.1 - Clearly states that once a bet has been accepted it may not be altered or cancelled. Your only hope is that they are nice enough to offer you a small free bet

I've heard of bookies refunding obvious mistakes such as if your biggest has been $6 and you suddenly unload a $600 bet by mistake, but never in this situation.

Hedge out, accept the small loss and put another bet on the right outcome if you're that confident on your research.

I agree with him. What if you accidently click 10,000 instead 1000 on sportingbet for example which is fairly easy to do. People make mistakes and if the game is over an hour away and he rings up within two minutes i reckon that is reasonable they give you your money back. At the tab they give you two minutes to check tickets etc and get your bet refunded. However I think docs right in the sense they will have some rule somewhere in their T&C that saids once you place a bet that bet stands to cover them for things like this. I have found IAS bet is the best account for this. They gave me my money back when i accidently put an extra 0 on my trifecta and also when they took 30 mins to pay up on a bet and i missed the next race they gave me a 50 dollar freebie from memory. That's pretty good service.

I've heard of bookies refunding obvious mistakes such as if your biggest has been $6 and you suddenly unload a $600 bet by mistake, but never in this situation.

Hedge out, accept the small loss and put another bet on the right outcome if you're that confident on your research.

Agreed, that would be in be in line with how they operate their mistakes Ie +44 which should be +4. I'm all for them canceling our bets if they do the same but the exception to this is 365 with Chad cornes FGS which I don't agree with.

I agree with him. What if you accidently click 10,000 instead 1000 on sportingbet for example which is fairly easy to do. People make mistakes and if the game is over an hour away and he rings up within two minutes i reckon that is reasonable they give you your money back. At the tab they give you two minutes to check tickets etc and get your bet refunded. However I think docs right in the sense they will have some rule somewhere in their T&C that saids once you place a bet that bet stands to cover them for things like this. I have found IAS bet is the best account for this. They gave me my money back when i accidently put an extra 0 on my trifecta and also when they took 30 mins to pay up on a bet and i missed the next race they gave me a 50 dollar freebie from memory. That's pretty good service.
Yep, nothing you said is wrong. It is reasonable that they give it back. It is very good service.

They didn't have to do any of it it though.

I have actually found most bookies are fair and reasonable if you approach them well enough. For example, recently on bet365 I placed an in-play bet on a Rugby World Cup game I had tuned into at half time. They had the total try line for a single player at 2.5, and by their provided count he had only scored one try, so I jumped all over that. He scored one more, and I checked the official rugby website and found out the bloke had scored two tries fairly early in the second half.

I went into the live chat and pointed out that it was fairly dodgy to be providing a wrong count about half an hour after the second try was scored. They said they accept no responsibility for any wrong information as it is all fed by the third party. I pointed out that it was a world cup game, and there is no way the mistake would exist after half an hour seeing as all the scores were correct. In the end they refunded my stake in the form of a free bet.

1) If I had gone into live chat swearing, bitching and calling them crooks, I doubt I would've got anything.

2) If I had gotten nothing, I would've had to accept it was my own fault for not double checking beforehand. As ridiculous as the third party excuse is, I agreed to it when I joined. They didn't have to give me the free bet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, nothing you said is wrong. It is reasonable that they give it back. It is very good service.

They didn't have to do any of it it though.

I have actually found most bookies are fair and reasonable if you approach them well enough. For example, recently on bet365 I placed an in-play bet on a Rugby World Cup game I had tuned into at half time. They had the total try line for a single player at 2.5, and by their provided count he had only scored one try, so I jumped all over that. He scored one more, and I checked the official rugby website and found out the bloke had scored two tries fairly early in the second half.

I went into the live chat and pointed out that it was fairly dodgy to be providing a wrong count about half an hour after the second try was scored. They said they accept no responsibility for any wrong information as it is all fed by the third party. I pointed out that it was a world cup game, and there is no way the mistake would exist after half an hour seeing as all the scores were correct. In the end they refunded my stake in the form of a free bet.

1) If I had gone into live chat swearing, bitching and calling them crooks, I doubt I would've got anything.

2) If I had gotten nothing, I would've had to accept it was my own fault for not double checking beforehand. As ridiculous as the third party excuse is, I agreed to it when I joined. They didn't have to give me the free bet.

You placed the in-play bet at half-time? Or sometime during the second-half?

Re the Centrebet dispute -- legally the issue is ambigious. From a practical/ethical/business point of view, they really should let the player correct the wager, if they are quickly notified and the line hasn't changed.

they really should let the player correct the wager, if they are quickly notified and the line hasn't changed.

Or the company hasn't already laid off the bet.

Company accepts bet from Punter X (winning punter) and lays off to reduce exposure. Punter rings to change bet (honestly or not) yet corporate is left holding the can????

Believe me, I side with the corporates one in a thousand cases, but in this instance they are not forced to do anything. These are the rules we play by (right or wrong). We know this going in. That they may have done something here is simply good PR, but I can guarantee you NT Racing Commission would've laughed asanque off the phone line if he started threatening using precedents from other industries, morals, ethics etc.

Or the company hasn't already laid off the bet.

Company accepts bet from Punter X (winning punter) and lays off to reduce exposure. Punter rings to change bet (honestly or not) yet corporate is left holding the can????

Believe me, I side with the corporates one in a thousand cases, but in this instance they are not forced to do anything. These are the rules we play by (right or wrong). We know this going in. That they may have done something here is simply good PR, but I can guarantee you NT Racing Commission would've laughed asanque off the phone line if he started threatening using precedents from other industries, morals, ethics etc.

1. It'd be a hard call to argue that the corporate laid off the bet in 1 minute after the bet was made. It is a clear case where no harm was suffered by the bookmaker.

2. It would be extremely silly to use precedents in other industries, morals, ethics etc. in any dispute involving the NT Racing Commission and I never would have done so. I won't go into the specific arguments that I would have raised, suffice I believe there was sufficient material there.

This is a situation where common sense prevailed.

Edit: In summary, this is not a simple the bookie is always right scenario.

Not sure if anyone's noticed but with Sportingbet's new "bonus balance" (rather than bonus bets), they now seem to have changed their promos so that rather than getting 50% bonus on various events, you now get a 50% bonus added to your bonus balance – which when you then bet using that bonus balance, you only get the winnings.

So in effect, rather than getting an actual 50% bonus you get a 50% bonus in the form of a free bet.

That's pretty shit. :thumbsdown:

Did anyone else get an email from Sportingbet about re-opening their account?

'Unfortunately, at the time of opening your account, we were not able to verify your details and therefore your account had to be disabled. We are pleased to advise you we have been able to use the data you originally supplied to us to verify your account and accordingly we have re-opened your account.'

'As a welcome back gesture, we have placed a $10 Bonus Bet in your account that can be used on the football finals, Spring Racing or other sports.'

I've never provided any verification details because I only joined for LMS. Has the rules on verification changed?

Anyway, I logged on with dreams of turning a $10 free bet into $1000 but there was no free bet and it says my account has not be verified. WTF.

Did anyone else get an email from Sportingbet about re-opening their account?

'Unfortunately, at the time of opening your account, we were not able to verify your details and therefore your account had to be disabled. We are pleased to advise you we have been able to use the data you originally supplied to us to verify your account and accordingly we have re-opened your account.'

'As a welcome back gesture, we have placed a $10 Bonus Bet in your account that can be used on the football finals, Spring Racing or other sports.'

I've never provided any verification details because I only joined for LMS. Has the rules on verification changed?

Anyway, I logged on with dreams of turning a $10 free bet into $1000 but there was no free bet and it says my account has not be verified. WTF.

Call them up.

I had issues with verification with them too. It was all sorted after a two minute phone call.

Not sure if anyone's noticed but with Sportingbet's new "bonus balance" (rather than bonus bets), they now seem to have changed their promos so that rather than getting 50% bonus on various events, you now get a 50% bonus added to your bonus balance – which when you then bet using that bonus balance, you only get the winnings.

So in effect, rather than getting an actual 50% bonus you get a 50% bonus in the form of a free bet.

That's pretty shit. :thumbsdown:

I received a $45 "bonus bet" last week (no idea what for) which l place on Warner high bat @ $4. My account was credited with the stake and winnings even though the terms state it's winnings only.

Sporting have replaced the term "free bet" with "bonus bet". The bonus bets only shows up in my account when l used their new site. I am still using their old one generally as new site sucks balls.

sportingbet.com.au/old

When was this?

IMO IASBET and Sportsbet are a joke since Paddypower took them over. They are now like all the gutless UK bookies (Bet365, Betfred, Victor Chandler, William Hill).

Since you can no longer withdraw from Pinny via CC, what are the following things that I need to withdraw with Bank transfer?

Swift code (BIC code)

*IBAN / Beneficiary Account Number

If you google or call your bank you should get these easy.

I'll give you a tip... Perhaps start a Moneybookers account? Free withdrawal to there from Pinny and you can then transfer from there to your bank account. Likely to save you $15-$20 as my bank (CBA) charges for IMT's and I suspect is the same for others.

To go from Moneybookers to your bank account is like $2-$3. Best facility you can have as a punter IMO. There are transaction limits with normal accounts but you can apply for higher limits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Betting websites

Remove this Banner Ad

Back