BF POTY Votes Vs. Port Adelaide Round 3

Remove this Banner Ad

This was and thankfully its great to have it but how hard was it to come up with these votes as all 22 put in. Apologies for those who missed out.
A complete team effort.

POTY

5. Mattner
4. Torney
3. Roo
2. Johncock
1. McGregor

Couldnt split between Torney and Marty but for me Mattner got it due to his tackling and passing.

BTM

3. Hudson
2. Doughty
1. Mattner

I put the Doughty in because he got us going early when the pressure is on and deserves it. Even won a few hard balls and got hit for his effort. :)

Rookie

Rutten.

POTY

5. Reilly - 22 possesions, 9 marks, 4 tackles and 2 goals - the highlight for me was the was he kept running in the last quarter even though we were miles in front. He pushed himself physically, and the look of emotion on his face when he kicked his second goal (and at the end of the game) makes me think he wants to stick around.

4. Torney - absolutely brilliant replacement for Hart. With Rutten, McGregor, Basset, Torney and Johncock, our defence, for once, looked awsome even without Hart. A glimpse of the future, now, perhaps.

3. Matter
2. Roo
1. Goodwin

BTM

3. Torney
2. McGregor
1. Mattner

Rookie

Rutten

BOG

5: Marty Mattner. The boy has taken a big step this year.
4: Brent Reilly. Got the pill, used it well, and some big tackles.
3: Mark Ricciuto. The usual superlatives.
2: Graham Johncock. Looks like he might use his defensive role as a launchpad to a midfield slot later this year or early next, a la A McLeod 1997.
1: Kenny McG. The thinking man's votes.

BTM:

4: Josh Francou. Every time we needed a free kick for a turn over, he bobbed up beautifully for us.
3: Kenny McG. Of course.
2: Ben Hudson. Let's bottle that attitude.
1: Marty Mattner. The thinking man's tackling machine.

ROTY:

Ben Rutten. Destroyed the resting ruckmen, and plays like a veteran already.

Would like to give 0.68 votes to every player. What a fantastic performance, what a fantastic day. I think though the votes need to go to people who performed best in the first two and a half quarters before it was cracked open.

McLeod played a super game today and won’t get a vote, that says it all I think.

5 Martin Mattner – The man was everywehre, and he used the ball really well. Did not get caught with the ball once which was fantastic and he even kiced it on his right foot twice, one of which was a super snap! He has to be the best tackler in the AFL by a country mile. The one against the Eagles two weeks ago was almost the best I have ever seen.

4 Jason Torney – what a superb comeback after injury. His attack on the ball and his running from defence was a joy to behold. His penetrating kicking in the thrid quarter was also very good. He will free up Stiffy to play up forward on occasion which is great.

3 Kenny McGregor – completely blanketed Tredders who had no influence whatsoever. No mean feat against the copmpetitions best player. AsGardian where are you now you hack.

2 Mark Ricciuto – Dermot summed it up beautfiully by saying no player as ever meant as much to their club as this man. That goal in the second quarter was an absolute ripper, and it was done with consumate ease. A certain member of the AFL Hall of Fame.

1 Michael Doughty – inspirational early with his run and attack on the ball. Who was he playing on? His man got an absolute bath in the first half especially. I was calling for his head during the week but he has shown that he has a fture at this level.

Top Team Man

Scott Thompson – gee this boy can play and brings a whole new dimension to our team. Wilson was smashing Skippy when he was on the ground but when Thomspson went there the roles were reversed. Will give away some frees this year but his mongrel is just what we need. I love Tyson Stengelin but this guy will be better for us I think.

Simon Goodwin – He was terrific. Great makr in front of Wakelin, which was not a report by the way. Great to see he has his kicking boot back even if he did hit the post on one of them!!

Graham Johncock – he was brilliant again and will be our next captain in my view. Does not take a backward step and is very hard to match up on. His composure under pressure is Ben Hart like.

Rookie

Van Berlo – hardly any game time but showed a couple of great signs with his attack on the ball. Won himself a free and won another 50/50 ball on the opopostie side of the ground. He has the goods.

The Unlucky to miss out

McLeod – absolutely brilliant at half back and half forward. Made Cassisi look third rate in the one on one cotnests. The one on the half forward fland wehere he tapped it in front of himself and picked it up at high speed was tremendous. Welcome back Mr McLeod.

Hentschel – provded a target and made the most of his opportunities. Great composure with the ball.

Edwards – usual relaible self but did fumble a bit. Nevertheless a good game.

Bassett – Mr Reliable as ever.

Hudson – worked his arse off and nullfied Ports big three. Primus was useless and the other two not much better.

Shirley – hard at the ball and used it well when he had it. The snapped goal was a pearler.

Rutten – did evertyhing asked of him and came hard off the full back line to win some important ball.

POTY:
5. Mattner
4. Reilly
3. Johncock
2. McGregor
1. Roo

TEAM MAN:
S.Thompson
J.Torney
S.Goodwin

ROOKIE:
Van Berlo

Updated to after Roodog's votes. (39 voters)

POTY
5 - Marty Mattner (180)
4 - Jason Torney (122)
3 - Mark Ricciuto (105)
2 - Ken McGregor (56)
1 - Brent Reilly (38)
- Graham Johncock (24)
- Simon Goodwin (23)
- Ben Hudson (13)
- Scott Thompson (7)
- Michael Doughty (5)
- Andrew McLeod (4)
- Tyson Edwards (4)
- Trent Henstchel (4)

BTM
3 - Ken McGregor (78)
2 - Jason Torney (37)
1 - Ben Hudson (32)
- Marty Mattner (21)
- Scott Thompson (16)
- Mark Ricciuto (15)
- Rob Shirley (8)
- Simon Goodwin (8)
- Tyson Edwards (5)
- Michael Doughty (4)
- Graham Johnock (3)
- Nathan Bassett (2)
- Brent Reilly (1)
- Trent Hentschel (1)

ROTY
1 - Ben Rutten
(35)
- Nathan Van Berlo (2)

Great win against the Power. It has got to be the best Showdown I have ever been to! Maybe thats cos we won.... :D

POTY
5. Torney- I reckon he shouldve got the medal. Was so reliable in defence especially after he has had a 6 week layoff through injury
4. Mattner- GOT to love him. Im going to nickname him Marty the Magnet
3. Ricciuto- A great captains game, but i dont think he deserved the medal quite.
2. Reilly- Best game so far and arent i happy:D Two so very exciting goals!!!!
1. McGregor- Held Tredders to not many possesions.

BTM
3. Doughty. Good comeback from last weeks dismal effort. Was great today
2. Johnwho (I refuse to swear). I liked his composure
1. Thompson. Took some good marks up foward

Rookie.
I dont think I can find anyone and dont think Rutten had a good enough game to get the votes and Van Berlos debut was good but not good enough for votes unfortunately.

So sucked in to the power! Ive been wanting to say that for so long!!!!!!!!!

snakebite01 said:
Updated to after Roodog's votes. (39 voters)

POTY
5 - Marty Mattner (180)
4 - Jason Torney (122)
3 - Mark Ricciuto (105)
2 - Ken McGregor (56)
1 - Brent Reilly (38)
- Graham Johncock (24)
- Simon Goodwin (23)
- Ben Hudson (13)
- Scott Thompson (7)
- Michael Doughty (5)
- Andrew McLeod (4)
- Tyson Edwards (4)
- Trent Henstchel (4)

BTM
3 - Ken McGregor (78)
2 - Jason Torney (37)
1 - Ben Hudson (32)
- Marty Mattner (21)
- Scott Thompson (16)
- Mark Ricciuto (15)
- Rob Shirley (8)
- Simon Goodwin (8)
- Tyson Edwards (5)
- Michael Doughty (4)
- Graham Johnock (3)
- Nathan Bassett (2)
- Brent Reilly (1)
- Trent Hentschel (1)

ROTY
1 - Ben Rutten
(35)
- Nathan Van Berlo (2)

Looks like we got that about right.

i've never had so much trouble trying to work out not just which 5 players get a vote but also which order - and i still could have given bog to someone i havent even put in the top 5
eventually i decided to go with my thoughts straight after the game

POTY:
5 Roo
4 Johncock
3 Mattner
2 Reilly
1 Thompson

apologies to Torney,Goodwin,McGregor,Doughty!!!,

BTM:
3 McGregor
2 Torney
1 Hudson

Rookie:
Rutten
(Van Berlo only had about 20 minutes playing time but a couple of gutsy efforts in that time)

comments about players have been well covered by Jars and others above so i just will add a couple of things which impressed me:
- Thompson's physicality (finally some support for Roo)
- Reilly's class plus Thompson gives us 2 top players to take over in the midfield
- the way we fought back twice when Port's reduced our lead (i'm sure many of us thought the inevitable "here we go again")
- the way we finally killed a side off with intense footy to the end
- our intensity and hardness all day epitomised by Mattner's tackling, Roo being just Roo,Stiffy giving it to Primus,Thompson as per Roo, Doughty!!,and that gang tackle in the 3rd? qtr when some Port bloke ran straight into 3-4 Crows players
- our ruckmen's work all over the ground - what a change! (i'm glad we only played 2 rucks - i dont support the 3 ruck approach)
- the hidden value of a player like Mattner (other players seeing his hard chasing and tackling follow suit)
- the sheer artistry and arrogance McLeod showed several times
i better stop there!

5. Torney First game after a big back injury superb
4. Mattner pace and great tackling
3.Shirley Did a good job tagging and got great touches
2.Ricciuto captain fantastic
1.Goodwin Watch the replay he was in everything.
Sorry to the other 17 players
Team man
McGregor Read Tredreas stats says it all
Torney put his body on the line and got important touches
Hudson stuck to his guns all day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 - Mattner. stood out for his run and aggression finally putting the doubters in their place
4 - Reilly. was everywhere when it mattered
3 - Johncock - as above
2 - McGregor - 1st quarter skipworth had gone half harted at a mark very next minute Mcgregor flies back with the flight showing how its done-Team Lifting
1 - Goodwin - the link man we've been missing for past 2 years

BTM

3 - McGregor -see above
2 - Mattner - sheer will to get the ball
1 - Thompson - HARD, about time we got a player like this, just watch how good a year McLeod will have with blokes like Thompson around him

Rookie - Rutten held his own , Van Berlo probably needs 12 months to get a bit of size but he looked good in his small amount of time

All players were unlucky to miss out esp Roo, Torney & Mcleod

A bit belated but here goes anyway:

5: Mattner, tough, hard running, runs the lines, tackles well. Love him!
4: Torney, for a bloke returning from a broken vertabrae he was outstanding.
3: McGregor, kept Tredrea quiet all day and took one great mark, set the tone for the day.
2: Reilly, great skills, laid some big tackles and kicked a few class goals.
1: Roo (just) lucky to win the medal IMO but still, played a great game, the Crows rock to build on in 2005.

BTM:
3: McGregor, put his body on the line time after time.
2: Torney, continually helped out Kenny down back by double teaming Tredrea.
1: Thompson Another tough call as Mattner was excellent. Thompson's attack was great, prepared to back his teams mates up physically (finally) laid at least 2 great tackles.

Rookie: Rutten, held his own all day did not put a foot wrong.
Although Van Berlo only played limited time, he did look good, willing to out his body on the line, we have a winner with that one.

OK, well if you haven't voted by 5.00pm Thursday then you're probably never going to vote. So final votes for the Showdown, versus Port Adelaide Round 3. (45 voters this week)

POTY
5 - Marty Mattner (205)
4 - Jason Torney (141)
3 - Mark Ricciuto (119)
2 - Ken McGregor (64)
1 - Brent Reilly (49)
- Graham Johncock (31)
- Simon Goodwin (25)
- Ben Hudson (13)
- Scott Thompson (8)
- Michael Doughty (5)
- Andrew McLeod (4)