Big Fish ?...Hawthorn trade news and targets thread(not for trade hypotheticals)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge difference between being nervous in front of a camera when you're an 18 year old kid vs a 20 year old allegedly breaking down in a job interview.

Look, maybe this is all rumour and conjecture and never happened. If it did though, I would have huge reservations of his ability to be up for it.
Modern day job interviews with American style pschyometric/personality testing etc. are bullshit.
Chances are they asked him about his childhood and his father dying, who knows what else?
I doubt they said "Take a shot from the 50m line on a 45° angle" and he burst into tears.

Modern day job interviews with American style pschyometric/personality testing etc. are bullshit.
Chances are they asked him about his childhood and his father dying, who knows what else?
I doubt they said "Take a shot from the 50m line on a 45° angle" and he burst into tears.

As somebody who battles the black dog as well as some niggling anxiety - I (possibly fortunately) have zero issues with both public speaking and especially job interviews. I have been doing 'American style' job interviews since I was in my early 20s and never got to the point of tears about it (granted crying isn't my outlet for stress so maybe I am lucky to be wired differently).

I get this is totally alleged and we are all different - however based on his homesickness, his reported lack of desire to play at any level up at Brisbane and now apparently breaking down in an interview - I think there has to be huge question marks on the kids ability to be mentally ready to play at the top level.

I don't for a minute think that a level of mental illness should disqualify anyone from getting a go at the top level because the amount of elite athletes with some form of depression or anxiety is well documented. However, there is a difference between mental illness and being mentally equipped to play footy at the top level.

If we end up signing this kid then I trust the club has done its due dillgence and believes they can get the kid ready for the rigours of playing AFL footy for the best club in the country. I will support him as much as I support anyone on our list. However, based on the information at hand (which granted is an outsider perspective and is using conjecture and hearsay) I am not exactly loving what I hear.

Pretty confident that they said no, mind you I was also confident we had too but everyone seems to think we in this up to our necks so who knows

We have never ruled ourselves out, even in the latest interview GW said he rates Schack highly but it seems unlikely we have enough to get a deal done but he wouldn't rule out anything.

As somebody who battles the black dog as well as some niggling anxiety - I (possibly fortunately) have zero issues with both public speaking and especially job interviews. I have been doing 'American style' job interviews since I was in my early 20s and never got to the point of tears about it (granted crying isn't my outlet for stress so maybe I am lucky to be wired differently).

I get this is totally alleged and we are all different - however based on his homesickness, his reported lack of desire to play at any level up at Brisbane and now apparently breaking down in an interview - I think there has to be huge question marks on the kids ability to be mentally ready to play at the top level.

I don't for a minute think that a level of mental illness should disqualify anyone from getting a go at the top level because the amount of elite athletes with some form of depression or anxiety is well documented. However, there is a difference between mental illness and being mentally equipped to play footy at the top level.

If we end up signing this kid then I trust the club has done its due dillgence and believes they can get the kid ready for the rigours of playing AFL footy for the best club in the country. I will support him as much as I support anyone on our list. However, based on the information at hand (which granted is an outsider perspective and is using conjecture and hearsay) I am not exactly loving what I hear.

I think footy for most young guys who struggle with mental illness is a way out, it's almost like a haven for them. Most of these kids played footy because they loved it, they loved being out there, loved being a star and loved winning with their mates, I hazard a guess that Josh has really felt isolated and lost the love to play footy being in a city he dislikes at a club he dislikes and absolutely no friends or family.

Get him to Melbourne, surround him with our support system and his friends and family, have his parents at every home game and in the rooms after our games and see how much he changes (if there is actually a legitimate mental "softness" to him).

He is one hell of a talented kid, he could be anything and we need to be bold, we should be going hard and doing what we can. 199cm 96kg, athletic, brilliant hands, brilliant set shot, these opportunities are rarer than hens teeth.

Sam Collins manager has said he has met with a few Melbourne clubs? Is it possible us?

I'm not expecting anymore players to come in after Jarman Impey in this trade period....But based on the last few years, I think we will bring in a Delisted Free Agent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think footy for most young guys who struggle with mental illness is a way out, it's almost like a haven for them. Most of these kids played footy because they loved it, they loved being out there, loved being a star and loved winning with their mates, I hazard a guess that Josh has really felt isolated and lost the love to play footy being in a city he dislikes at a club he dislikes and absolutely no friends or family.

Get him to Melbourne, surround him with our support system and his friends and family, have his parents at every home game and in the rooms after our games and see how much he changes (if there is actually a legitimate mental "softness" to him).

He is one hell of a talented kid, he could be anything and we need to be bold, we should be going hard and doing what we can. 199cm 96kg, athletic, brilliant hands, brilliant set shot, these opportunities are rarer than hens teeth.

Look you're definitely not wrong. I am being utterly speculative. I am also a harsh judge of character at times and am always more cautious than bullish - so this guys red flags just jump out at me.

If we get him though I have full confidence that the club can bring out the best in him.

If Hawthorn declared interest in Schace then you could bet half the league would suddenly become interested again.
And he would be worth two first rounders. In the 2018 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back