Big Fish ?...Hawthorn trade news and targets thread(not for trade hypotheticals)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly was ******* shrewd.

He signed a 2 year deal so he gets 2 years to achieve the ultimate with the incredible list GWS has. And by then he will the best player in the league and will command a record breaking deal to go to another club.

Agreed. The North offer looked good in 2017 rates. By 2022 Kelly will be earning way over $1m a year and will come out ahead in the long run.

Hmm I believe Impey was worth pick 45-50 to be honest but we wanted him and clearly believe we can turn him into something decent....When Hawthorn want someone they pay above to get them.

The average pick 45 - 50 doesn't even play an AFL game. Even a pick 33 is a good chance to never play a game. Using draft picks in drafts is great when you have someone in mind. I'm confident GW and the team have compared Impey with whomever they figured they could have gotten with pick 33 and a future fourth rounder, most likely assumed that the downgrade is utterly irrelevant, and concluded Impey is better value.

Maybe if we'd played hardball we could have avoided losing that fourth rounder, but really what is the point?

How much did he sign on for 2018 2019?? I thought it was around 800k a season?

My apologies - I thought you meant he was on less than $500,000 total - not taking a $500,000 haircut on the Norf crazy offers!

We have a nice indigenous flavour to our side, all 3 of them have some grunt and mongrel in them.. Would love to see Impey develop into a mid, looks like he may lack that natural footy ability to get the pill.

Could also be our version of JJ, that speedy attacking half back.

GW is cooking up something, you can sense it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Orourke pick 50 at best
Kurt pick 60 at best
Hartung pick 35 at best
Stewart pick 60 at best
Poppy pick 35 at best.

Anyone that is dreaming the above lot are worth anymore are living in fairy land.
Wait - how’s many draft points if you add all them together?

What about langers?
You blokes better be careful.
Them looking like hypotheticals.

Sic em ABASI MODERATOR

Into em. Round the back. Round em up ;)

Just wondering, do you like picks or players more?;)

This is pretty much it. The Hawks may have very few names in this draft that they rate worth getting, and a lot of the ones that they do rate probably weren't seen as gettable from the position that they wouldn't be able to bring in a pick that high.

There were whispers way back that we had been keeping in touch with a kid who was highly rated but has spent the year injured, that might be our play. Other than that, there are links with Joel Garner because of his brother being in our academy and him being a mad Hawks fan so potentially that's our play.

Can't see big changes happening if it costs too much, we'll likely only turn over the obvious players like Hodge, as well as Puopolo, Hartung, Whitecross and Heatherley who are in list limbo. Interesting times ahead.

The weakness of this draft and the strength of next year’s draft is reaching biblical proportions.

It’s like this year is full of bootsma, fiora, Dawson, cale Morton types and next year is full of hodge, Ablett, Martin and bontempelli types deep into the third round.
Its all to do with the top end, this year peaks at six to eight genuine top end players and next year the experts are getting wet saying that it might start at around eleven top end player and stretching out to up to seventeen, seventeen now come on really! Even after the top ten all drafts even out to same same, its about time we all woke up to the fact that there are a number of media players that have vested interests in talking draft draft draft regardless of the quality.

Based on the people in the media I trust what people should be saying when they say next years draft is better than this years is.

No high end key position talent in this draft
Top 5 in this draft guns but then drops off a fair bit but fairly even after that in terms of depth

Next year there are around 5 genuine key position high end prospects plus the usual midfielders.

Due to lack of key position talent in this years draft any of those keys if available next would go number 1 if available this year.

Why do we need to placate clubs and get the deal done quickly? We are not going to be big players for the rest of the draft period.

Hawthorn have a history of paying overs and getting deals done quickly.

Why don't we wait until the second half of trade week and get the deals done with better value? :p

Because we want the players we want, not the 'value' dregs at the end....

Last edited:
This is true but the draft is a lottery at best. I recall a post showing its roughly 50 percent with top 10 picks successful.
There were an awful lot of 'misses' in the 2001 draft. There were only 5 successes in the top 10 of that draft. And about 15 from the rest, which is probably not too bad.

Seems we get carried away with the quality of the top 4 or 5 and make a broad call on the rest.

The weakness of this draft and the strength of next year’s draft is reaching biblical proportions.

It’s like this year is full of bootsma, fiora, Dawson, cale Morton types and next year is full of hodge, Ablett, Martin and bontempelli types deep into the third round.
To be fair, last year they were saying this years draft was weak. I'd say it is going to be a lottery after pick 5-10.

Ty Vickery may also come into calculations after a difficult debut season at Waverley Park, but it may take giving up someone of the calibre of Jack Gunston or Luke Breust for Hawthorn to make a major play.

Thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back