BigFooty Official Big Footy 2016 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Shouldn't you only make bids if you have the player as the next best on your draft board?

Which I do. But I also think some clubs may ignore an Academy player so to give the impression of them getting the player they wanted. For example, Brisbane taking Ainsworth over bidding for Bowes. It's all about appearances.

I'd be shocked if he let Bowes go. Being able to take SPS and Brodie first would be a dream. The three of them would be the midfield set for the next 10 years.

But the bids had to be made. Can't be giving anyone freebies.

nah thats right has to be realistic. If dont hear from him in an hour or so am going to assume he will match though

Which I do. But I also think some clubs may ignore an Academy player so to give the impression of them getting the player they wanted. For example, Brisbane taking Ainsworth over bidding for Bowes. It's all about appearances.

There are a lot of factors that determines a clubs draft board. From skill, personality, needs, etc.... One of those factors, especially for a club like Brisbane from recent history, is drafting players that they will not lose. Ainsworth played with Schache and is really good friends, Ainsworth has come out and has said he wants to play in Brisbane. So in my opinion, they are legitimate reasons for Ainsworth to be rated higher on the draft board. If that pushes him above Bowes/Setterfield etc... based on other metrics than it is just selecting the next best player on their board. So I disagree that it is all about appearances in terms of bidding.

Essendon are probably a little fortunate to have pick one in this draft and some further nice picks so I think best player available is the way to go.

I know most clubs pick the best available play at #1, but considering Essendon's list position I think we should be taking an opportunity to address our lack of polish in attacking midfield and forward of centre play. Not sure if you factored these needs in (or agree that they're needs in the first place). IMO, McLuggage can provide more of that Pendlebury-like goal kicking nous than McGrath over the next 10 years and we could really do with some of it.

Do agree with you that either option is excellent, and keen to see who you pick up with #20 and #29 :D

I'll be surprised if we ever see Swallow again.

Why? He is (to use the cliche everyone uses at this time of year) training the house down. Looks real fit and got some game time late in the season in the NEAFL so fingers crossed.

Also, loving your work so far Offsider ! Think most of us supporters would prefer Taranto over SPS at #4, but you will have seen more of them than us, and I can absolutely see Clayton going with what you've done. Will be really interesting to see where you go at 10/11 (whatever it is now).

Why? He is (to use the cliche everyone uses at this time of year) training the house down. Looks real fit and got some game time late in the season in the NEAFL so fingers crossed.

Also, loving your work so far Offsider ! Think most of us supporters would prefer Taranto over SPS at #4, but you will have seen more of them than us, and I can absolutely see Clayton going with what you've done. Will be really interesting to see where you go at 10/11 (whatever it is now).

He may be able to get on the park here and there but his knee is very bad, just some info that I have from someone who used to be medically involved with the suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#9 Fremantle - Jarrod Berry (191cm, 82kg utility from North Ballarat Rebels)

Coming into the 2016 season, Berry was one name that featured in discussions about the potential #1 pick. He's dropped out of that talk now, but that's not to say he isn't still deserving of a top 10 selection. At least in my mind, I know few people will have Berry rated here.

A large part of his 'fall' down the draft order can be attributed to injuries and an associated lack of continuity in his football. A shoulder reconstruction last year cut into his preseason, and then on either side of the Championships this year he suffered an AC joint injury and a setback with his knee. And in case that wasn't enough, he then suffered a bruised kidney during the TAC Cup finals.

But amongst all the injuries, Berry was playing his usual high level of football. And one of the key factors in that was his ability to play any role or position asked of him. All Australian last year as a half back, he reads the play very well and can intercept and play taller when required. As a midfielder for the Rebels this year, roughly 50% of his possessions were contested and he uses his size well. And then when he went forward at the end of the season, he finished with two 3 goal performances and an average of over a goal a game for the season.

Without a doubt, his greatest strength is who he is as a person. Widely regarded as the #1 character guy in the draft, he'll be a captain in no time and the time of player you build around. From all reports, few people will work harder both on game day and during the week. I know nothing is guaranteed when it comes to draftees, but he should be a 200 game player pretty easily. And on top of that, he can actually play too. Not only is he as tough as you'll find, but he's an elite athlete too. At the Combine, Berry finished 1st in the beep test and time trial, while also finishing top 10 in the repeat sprints and agility test.

As for weaknesses, well you'd have to consider injuries to be the main one. If he's already prone to them, his style of play isn't going to help that. The only other knock on him coming into the season was his kicking. But he's worked on that and has significantly improved in 2016. He still has quite a mechanical looking kicking style, but it gets results.

The key to where he gets drafted, will be in what role teams see him developing into. For now, I see him as a general in the back half. Like Corey Enright was for so long. He's a leader, he's calm and can provide the same level of rebound. But he's also the type that you can throw into the midfield for impact or when you really need a clearance. That's what I see him being at Fremantle. Like how Pavlich was our Mr Fix-It for so long, Berry can do that at the other end of the ground.

I have had Berry pinged as GC's Pick 10 for quite awhile. Reckon he would be perfect for them.

Interesting pick Chris.

He would be an ideal player for the Gold Coast. The type who could really set the culture up there. Part of the reason I took him for Fremantle, is because we've lacked leadership and composure in the back half. I'd also be comfortable bringing him in, and not worrying about him being a flight risk. Couple of former Horsham Saints with him and Darcy Tucker too.

griffen-logue.jpg

Griffin Logue
Swan Districts/Western Australia
Utility
Height: 193 cm Weight: 92 kg D.O.B: 13/4/98

2016 Statistics:
Capture.PNG

Bio:
One of the best key defenders in the draft, Logue is just an all round strong prospect. After spending most of last year rowing and playing for Swan Districts colts, Logue really burst onto the scene this year. This year he has made his state, WAFL league debut and now looks a lock for the top ten. A versatile player, Logue has spent most of the year playing as a key defender but has shown he has the athletic capacity to move up the ground and potential become a forward or even a big bodied midfielder with his elite endurance. He's just a class act and rarely makes mistakes with the ball in hand as many other talls in the draft do at times.

Why did the Swans take him?
He was best available and fills a need for young key defenders with the retirement of Ted Richards. Logue is already a massive unit and has shown that he can step straight into senior football unlike other key defenders in the draft. The Swans also lack some versatility in their lineup with very few players able to play up forward and down back or even in the midfield which Logue could plausibly do in the future.

Who Else Did I consider?
Other player I considered are the likes of Jack Scrimshaw, Tim English and Oliver Florent. Jack Scrimshaw like Logue is very versatile but struggles to hold down a key post when required unlike Logue. Florent I considered as the Swans midfield looks one paced and could do with some skill and dash but didn't fix the more pressing issue surrounding their KPP depth. English I also considered as he has the highest ceiling in the draft but doesn't fit their needs with the Swans already having Sinclair, Tippett etc.

Last edited:
#9 Fremantle - Jarrod Berry (191cm, 82kg utility from North Ballarat Rebels)

Coming into the 2016 season, Berry was one name that featured in discussions about the potential #1 pick. He's dropped out of that talk now, but that's not to say he isn't still deserving of a top 10 selection. At least in my mind, I know few people will have Berry rated here.

A large part of his 'fall' down the draft order can be attributed to injuries and an associated lack of continuity in his football. A shoulder reconstruction last year cut into his preseason, and then on either side of the Championships this year he suffered an AC joint injury and a setback with his knee. And in case that wasn't enough, he then suffered a bruised kidney during the TAC Cup finals.

But amongst all the injuries, Berry was playing his usual high level of football. And one of the key factors in that was his ability to play any role or position asked of him. All Australian last year as a half back, he reads the play very well and can intercept and play taller when required. As a midfielder for the Rebels this year, roughly 50% of his possessions were contested and he uses his size well. And then when he went forward at the end of the season, he finished with two 3 goal performances and an average of over a goal a game for the season.

Without a doubt, his greatest strength is who he is as a person. Widely regarded as the #1 character guy in the draft, he'll be a captain in no time and the time of player you build around. From all reports, few people will work harder both on game day and during the week. I know nothing is guaranteed when it comes to draftees, but he should be a 200 game player pretty easily. And on top of that, he can actually play too. Not only is he as tough as you'll find, but he's an elite athlete too. At the Combine, Berry finished 1st in the beep test and time trial, while also finishing top 10 in the repeat sprints and agility test.

As for weaknesses, well you'd have to consider injuries to be the main one. If he's already prone to them, his style of play isn't going to help that. The only other knock on him coming into the season was his kicking. But he's worked on that and has significantly improved in 2016. He still has quite a mechanical looking kicking style, but it gets results.

The key to where he gets drafted, will be in what role teams see him developing into. For now, I see him as a general in the back half. Like Corey Enright was for so long. He's a leader, he's calm and can provide the same level of rebound. But he's also the type that you can throw into the midfield for impact or when you really need a clearance. That's what I see him being at Fremantle. Like how Pavlich was our Mr Fix-It for so long, Berry can do that at the other end of the ground.
Chri - love the pick. I believe group think has been a large reason for him dropping so many places. I was hoping Monocle would have taken him with West Coasts pick 12 but you beat us to him. Hard to get this and the next 4 picks wrong in all reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFooty Official Big Footy 2016 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back