BigFooty Official Big Footy 2016 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow....I am suprised by this. If nothing else Collingwood trade strategy was aimed to ensure they had the picks to accomodate both boys from the early 30's onwards.

For Collingwood a pick #36 would have resulted in them only handing over #45 to match the bid (and would have had a late residual selection), making him in reality worth #45. That suggests you dont rate him at #44 or anywhere near it.
If Daicos is rated around 40-45, I wouldn't want to use a pick where you might get a significantly better player in matching a bid for a lesser player.

I know if another team bids on Allison or Watson before our picks 21 & 22, and the Lions match, I'll be questioning our recruiting team big time.

If Daicos is rated around 40-45, I wouldn't want to use a pick where you might get a significantly better player in matching a bid for a lesser player.

I know if another team bids on Allison or Watson before our picks 21 & 22, and the Lions match, I'll be questioning our recruiting team big time.

I agree with that as mentioned I think it comes down to where Knightmare rates the boys. He has mentioned he thinks they are rookies so fair enough to him to pass. I disagree and think club does but its his view and he is the Pies rep.

Re Lions I think you will be ok with both those boys.

I agree with that as mentioned I think it comes down to where Knightmare rates the boys. He has mentioned he thinks they are rookies so fair enough to him to pass. I disagree and think club does but its his view and he is the Pies rep.

Re Lions I think you will be ok with both those boys.
Where do you have Watson and Allison rated Chris25 has Allison at 20 in he's phantom draft

Pick 21 Essendon Dylan Clarke 187cm 85kg Inside Midfielder Eastern Ranges

Clarke is one of my favourite players in the draft this year.
He is an inside midfielder who is a competitive beast. He excels at winning clearances and fights hard to win contested footy.
He has a huge endurance base and is a fitness fanatic. He is also a quality individual who leaves nothing to chance with his footy and is a fantastic student who is aspiring to get a high ATAR score. He has future leader written all over him.
He does have some flaws to work on which I have no doubt he will improve.
Clarke's kicking is mechanical and can be ineffective when under pressure. However I think he will learn to play to his limitations and use his hands more often than his feet. Clarke could benefit from becoming a little quicker and his agility isn't quite where it needs to be. Again this will improve in time but he doesn't have to be great at these traits as his strength is being a bull on the inside.

Clarke had a terrific National carnival while the Combine confirmed his strengths and weaknesses.
In the TAC Clartke averaged 29.4 disposals with 16.6 being contested. He averaged 7.9 tackles and 6.8 clearances. In the Nationals he averaged 24.8 disposals with 50% being contested. He averaged 5.5 clearances and 3.8 tackles.
Clarke ran an impressive 9.52 3km run and a 14.12 beep. He ran a 3.11 20m sprint which is okay for his type of player with a disappointing 8.75 agility. His repeated sprint score of 26.04 was slightly disappointing but his 24 kicking score and 23 clean hands score were both good. 19 in the goal kicking was average but is truly not what he is getting drafted for.

Pick Rationale

McGrath gives us speed and inside/outside midfielder while Clarke gives us a ball winning clearance bull who will be a strong bodied bruiser who will plough the ball forward and bruise less physical opposition midfielders. I wanted Clarke here unless Florent or Simpkin slipped.

33. Port Adelaide- Jonty Scharenberg (Glenelg) - 183cm 80 kg
Scharenberg is one of the premier extractors available this year. He has a real ability to get first hands on the footy and fire it off to a teammate. His hands are probably his biggest asset on the field and in my opinion, they make up for his relative inability to kick. He is really accurate with his handballs, even under pressure. His first reaction is to get his hands up so that he can always get it away, even while being tackled or under physical pressure. This ability to set up play with his hands is very important and is elite for guys in this draft pool. He has great vision and knows where his recievers are and positions his body to hit them. He never panics inside and when he gives it, it goes to a teammate rather than being flipped out in hope.

On the flipside, his kicking is quite average. He is not a poor kick technically, as when he goes back off the mark he can put them wherever he wants. However when he is on the run his kicks spray everywhere, or hang in the air causing contests when a good kick would have hit a teammate on the chest. I believe most of this can be attributed to a lack of speed, which causes him to either try to go flat out when he gets it and then kick off balance, or kick while being tackled/harassed and this pressure causes his kicks to be poor.

He can also take a pretty decent mark for someone his size so it is plausible that he could sneak down forward and be dangerous as a goal kicking mid.

I think he is the best midfielder left at this point. I would have strongly considered Willem Drew if still available but 99% would have gone Scharenberg over him. I think his performances in the SANFL were impressive and I always like seeing guys who go into that comp and show they can play well against men. He could sneak a couple of games later next year where he would line up in the middle and give Port some much needed clearance support.

Pick #45 Adelaide - Conor Noonan West Adelaide 180cm 72kg

Was wondering if this lad would get snapped up by anyone else, but I had to strike here as I rate him fairly highly.

Having seen the lad play before his brilliant state combine testing I knew he can play the game but was pleasantly surprised at his results....I knew his agility would be great but he put up some big numbers across the board:

Agility 8.28 sec
20m sprint 3.05 sec
Repeat sprint 25.27 sec
Beep test 14.4
Standing Vertical jump 74cm
Running right 82cm
Running left 82cm

A good blend of speed, agility and endurance as well as a good leap. Athletically, he will have no trouble meeting the higher demands of AFL football.

Now can the kid play? I don't just draft athletes and hope they are footballers as I always draft the footballer first and no doubt this kid can play the game, despite having an injury interrupted season.

Noonan is fairly slight of frame but has no fear when it comes to putting his body on the line. In the SANFL reserves I can remember seeing him go in hard time and time again, whilst not winning a huge amount of the pill (12-18 touches on average) he just has no fear. He used his smarts and agility to his advantage in traffic, often side stepping opponents with ease. It's probably his best trait, he just dances around trouble, very quick change of direction and remains balanced. Not many kids can do that, bit Robbie Gray like in the way he does it. He's got very good hands and is one touch, rarely fumbles. Kicking is good but does like to get around on his right (dominant side) but isn't too bad on his left at times if he has to use it. Kicking not nec flat and hard but he can roost it surprisingly far (55m). Generally picks good options and always looking to attack the goals.

His other standout trait is his tackling and 1%'ers, brilliant defenisve pressure, he can read players minds and tackle them before they try to get past him, or get that hand in or that smother. He would make any coach very happy to be coaching him, some players are lazy but this kid works hard, uses his fitness and is courageous. He also often uses his spring to be 3rd man up at contests, way more than the average midfielder.

Whilst his disposal numbers aren't massive, his impact on general play is and with his fitness base and AFL coaching, he will make a very good midfielder/half forward who could play a lockdown role (defensive fwd) or be dangerous himself. One to watch.

Last edited:
Pick 34- Port Adelaide- Matt Guelfi (Claremont) - 183cm 77kg

A bit of a bolter and not a name I've seen much around here but I really rate the kid. He is a 19 year old who had a great finish to last year but didn't get picked up. Came back this year and had a cracking season where he averaged 25 touches a game, and then played 5 league games for Claremont.

His biggest asset is his kicking. He has great penetration and a booming kick. If you were a defender and he got his hands on it in the middle of the ground you would be nervous because the ball is likely to come in quickly, flat and long. He can kick 55m with ease and penetration. It is pretty rare to find an inside mid with kicking skills like him which is why I'm fairly high on him. If not for the WAFL experience I may not be so impressed but he kicked at 74% in senior football too to show he doesn't just beat up on kids he is bigger than.

He is adept at winning centre clearances, as all inside mids should be. He is clean and composed with the ball and doesn't panic when the contact comes. He reads the ball well in the air and is good at hitting the ball off the taps, and with his kicking skill he only needs half a second to get away and the ball will be 50m away on the chest of a teammate.

I think he is exactly what Port need- a ball winning mid with good kicking skills. He will complement the likes of Wines well as another ball winner and along with Scharenberg he could be another cog in a midfield that will need to rebuild soon, with the likes of Gray and Boak getting on in years. It is vital that Port picks some handy mids now because in 3-4 years our forward line will be peaking but other than Wines we have no real gun mids for that time. Hopefully Guelfi and Scharenberg can be part of that next gun midfield group.

Still a fair bit of value left with Kerr, Sproule, Cumming, Allison, Poholke and Jarman surprisingly still available.

None the less I got my guy. Ben Ronke is can be what Collingwood wanted Nathan Freeman to be. He likely starts his career on a forward flank where he can hit the scoreboard in bunches then earn a position in the midfield and rotate forward as required.

What sells me on him is his combination of being a high % contested ball winner and having super acceleration with his 20m sprint time as good as any in this draft and that acceleration being used effectively in game to burst away from stoppages. He showed substantial improvement over the course of the season and his second half of the season (from July onwards) was among the best in the TAC Cup.

#46 Collingwood - Ben Ronke (VIC)
Best position:
Inside midfield/general forward
Height, weight: 181cm, 75kg
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Plays like: Luke Shuey
Projected draft range: late/rookie
Rated last month: unrated
Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Excellent second half to the TAC Cup season where strong production and explosive speed and contested-ball winning stood out. Rapid rate of improvement demonstrated. Finished in Calder's best in his last seven games and was listed as Calder's best player in five of his last six games. Late season he played two VFL games and at that level also held his own.
Strengths:
- Contested-ball winning
- Wins high proportion of ball in the contest
- Wins first possession at stoppages
- Explosive acceleration
- Breaks away from stoppages
- Tackling - Chase-down tackling
- Energy around the contest
- Gives second and third efforts
- Athleticism
- Rate of improvement and standard of performance through second half of season
- Held his own against VFL standard competition
- Scoreboard impact (19 goals from 15 TAC Cup games and two goals from two VFL games)
- Kicks goals from stoppages and on the move
- Can play forward
Weaknesses:
- Inconsistent footskills
- Does not find much easy outside ball

Still a fair bit of value left with Kerr, Sproule, Cumming, Allison, Poholke, Luke Ryan and Jarman surprisingly still available.

None the less I got my guy. Ben Ronke is can be what Collingwood wanted Nathan Freeman to be. He likely starts his career on a forward flank where he can hit the scoreboard in bunches then earn a position in the midfield and rotate forward as required.

What sells me on him is his combination of being a high % contested ball winner and having super acceleration with his 20m sprint time as good as any in this draft and that acceleration being used effectively in game to burst away from stoppages. He showed substantial improvement over the course of the season and his second half of the season (from July onwards) was among the best in the TAC Cup.

#46 Collingwood - Ben Ronke (VIC)
Best position:
Inside midfield/general forward
Height, weight: 181cm, 75kg
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Plays like: Luke Shuey
Projected draft range: late/rookie
Rated last month: unrated
Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Excellent second half to the TAC Cup season where strong production and explosive speed and contested-ball winning stood out. Rapid rate of improvement demonstrated. Finished in Calder's best in his last seven games and was listed as Calder's best player in five of his last six games. Late season he played two VFL games and at that level also held his own.
Strengths:
- Contested-ball winning
- Wins high proportion of ball in the contest
- Wins first possession at stoppages
- Explosive acceleration
- Breaks away from stoppages
- Tackling - Chase-down tackling
- Energy around the contest
- Gives second and third efforts
- Athleticism
- Rate of improvement and standard of performance through second half of season
- Held his own against VFL standard competition
- Scoreboard impact (19 goals from 15 TAC Cup games and two goals from two VFL games)
- Kicks goals from stoppages and on the move
- Can play forward
Weaknesses:
- Inconsistent footskills
- Does not find much easy outside ball

Ryan gone at 20 mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#42 Fremantle - Josh Williams (189cm, 73kg midfielder from Surfers Paradise)

At this point in the draft, I'm comfortable taking a chance - especially given my first two picks. And if you're going to take a project player, might as well be someone with a whole heap of x factor. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Williams did go somewhere in the second round come the real thing.

First things first, he's a stick. He has put on about 5kg this year, but he still has a long way to go. But hey, Oleg Markov doesn't exactly have an AFL build and he did alright this year. So never say never. The only thing it means is that Williams is solely an outside player at the moment.

But the reason for taking him is here is simple - it's his running game. His speed is elite and his acceleration in game is up there with the best. Not only that, he looks to run at every opportunity. It's always good when a young player actually makes the most of his strengths. I know what Fremantle fans are thinking, I liked Clayton Hinkley for his outside run too. And he was also skinny. The difference with Williams though, is that he can actually kick too. He's had some very impressive long runs this year, where he's then finished accurately on goal. He could still slow down and compose himself better at times, but he's shown the ability to finish at top speed.

He also has good vision. He doesn't just get it, put the head down and run. He can work his way through traffic, and he's a hard player to tackle.

At the moment though, he's basically a sprinter. He can have a huge impact in a short burst, but doesn't back it up. So I'm seeing him as a 2 year project. Get him into the gym, so he can build on both muscle and endurance and then put him on a wing and let him run. There were a few utility types that I thought were good value here, but most I see developing across the half back line - which is what gave Williams the nod here.

This is a good pick up and an underrated prospect. Has some draftable qualities with his speed, hurt factor and ability to go forward. He is a good height and I have seen him pull in some decent marks. He has done well this year at Neafl level.

I will say this is Queensland's best draft class since 2006 imo. There are some really good prospects still left.

Am i the bearer of bad news that Gold Coast could still afford Josh Williams on their list, because even with Joyce coming up and Barlow in with Garlett out, they still have a maximum of 6 list spots?

Pick 37. West Coast. Brennan Cox. KPP . 194 cm 90 kg. Woodville West Torrens .

Posted up after work as promised.

This was a decision at the start of the mock that I certainly didn't think I would have had to make as I had Cox much higher up on my board and I never contemplated for a moment that he would be available @ pick # 37, but he was and that has caused me to alter my strategy. I would have bet London to a brick that all of the nine picks before # 37 ( with the exception of Essendon ) could have see Cox as a good fit.

This selection has caused some serious consternation amongst the Eagles faithful as many where not impressed that I passed Rotham up. As I indicated in my earlier post it was not an easy decision and I will now elaborate on my thought process. Ok...... Here goes.

I rated both Cox and Rotham as talents on a par.
As a general rule if I rate two prospects that are IMO equal and one is a tall and the other not ,I go the tall..... similarly if one is a local kid and the other an inter stater then I go the local kid, but on this occasions both arguments are countered by each other.

How I viewed this situation.

Neither player plays in a position of immediate need, however both are quality selections and represented best available at this juncture in the draft.
West Coast tall's are pretty well covered.
As for another HBF that may ... and I mean may.... have midfield capabilities I was not completely convinced of the transition.

Cox has been getting better and better as the season unfolded. The former basketballer impressively was named at CHB in the AA championship team.

Cox has some facets of his game that impress:

His marking in particular is a real feature of his game, he reads the ball so well in flight and is very strong overhead in the contested situations. He generally marks cleanly and at the highest point.
His intercept marking is elite.
For a kid 194 cm he is really clean below his knees.
Makes good decisions most of the time and displays composure.
With ball in hand he is also capable of some run and carry on his own or linking up.
He has good skills by either foot or hand.
His agility and ability to move freely in heavy traffic is rarely seen in someone his size.
Cox uses his body well in contested marking situations and whilst this can be taught its better if its instinctive.
Like a lot of basketballer his lateral and peripheral vision in elite.
At 194 cm and 90 kg he is sized up and ready to play....plug in.

But here is the clincher .....he plays both ends.

Why that appeals to me for The Eagles is this.

He presents the match committee with several options in the future.
1. He could join McGovern and Barrass in the backline and good luck other teams beating that trio in the air.
2. He could slot into CHB and allow McGovern to go forward.
3. Cox could go forward himself.

A team with McGovern, Barrass and Cox all young, underpins the spine for better part of the next decade.

Its rare to get a crack at the Under 18 AA CHB and the fact that he can also play as a KPF was just too tantalising a prospect to pass up on because KPP that play both ends don't come around very often.
When they do....you pounce.

Chris25 your up Mate.
Barrass and McGovern with now Cox. Yes indeed, there were n fact three Marks Brothers.

Just updated my bio on Cox and I give my reasons why him over Rotham.

You think you're gonna win me back with cold hard facts and rationale?

Well you probably can

Pick 23 - Brisbane - Brendan Parfitt

My last pick for a while has to be Parfitt who is one of my favourites. I think he could be a star. He has the ability to take over games.

Others who I liked here and I would have no trouble going with for the Lions included:

• Brennan Cox
  • Tony Olango
  • Luke Brunker
  • Jordan Gallucci
  • Brad Scheer
Also Declan Watson, Jacob Allison and Elliott Himmelberg are starting to come into the zone where they could legitimately be taken. I like the two KPs but Allison's upside is also very enticing notwithstanding he had a poor year.

Love this pick. Reckon he's a stud too, energy and creativity wouldn't have looked out of place in either Hawthorn's or the Doggies premiership midfields. All he needs is to improve his consistency inside of games.

477938.jpg

Elliott Himmelberg
Redland Bombers/Queensland
Key Position Prospect
Height: 196 cm Weight: 84 kg D.O.B: 4/6/98

2016 Statistics:
upload_2016-11-11_11-41-17.png

Bio:

One of the few top key position talents in the draft, Elliott has a lot of fans. After moving from NSW-ACT, the brother of Harry Himmelberg at the Giants has gone from an above average local footballer to bonafide AFL prospect. This year Himmelberg has starred at all levels in the early parts of the season and and his peak could've gone in the early second round. This didn't last long as injury struck at the u18 national championships in the first game. Himmelberg as a tall is extremely mobile and has shown to be a strong mark in the air despite him being a raw prospect at this point.

Why the Swans took him:
The Swans right now don't have too many tall talents on their list and as the likes of Heath Grundy and buddy Franklin age, depth will be needed for their side. This is where Himmelberg comes in as he has enough time to fill out and grow and provide depth which may have been lost this year with Xavier and Ted Richards. The Swans may have the tall talent now but will need depth for the future.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFooty Official Big Footy 2016 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back