BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom Draft Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd do the write-ups to my round 5 and 6 picks.

# 85 - Richmond Tom Cutler - Oakleigh - Vic Metro - 190 cm - 86 kg

Cutler's a kid who I thought would have received a bit more love this year. AIS kid who made the Metro squad and looked really good as a versatile swingman against NSW/ACT before he got cut down by injury and missed the Division 1 games against Country and SA. Tom's a classic tweener - he's really good athletically, reads the ball superbly and has no problems filling the hole and repelling attacks - but he's just not tall enough or cut out to take on the hugely tall forwards. What he does have, is versatility. Tom is capable of playing tall or short in the backline, or as a running wingman who can use his speed, agility and neat kicking to take the game on. I'd have no problems taking Cutler as a tallish rebounding defender in the draft - he'd certainly be in the same conversation as Miller, Jones, etc if you're looking for back flankers. Cutler's quick - and not just for his size, can take an intercept mark and has really good skills - he can create by hand and foot. I think he's just too good to overlook here - and could play the role Dave Astbury/Jake Batchelor play down at Tigerland.

I also really heavily considered Alex Spencer.

#103 - Sam Heavyside - Bendigo - 177 cm/73 kg

Heavyside's an over-ager who has had a really good year for Bendigo when fully fit. Injury robbed Heavyside of his second half of the season and chances to make a huge impression at the Champs. Heavyside had a delayed start to pre-season in 2013 due to the same injury and has then missed chunks of the season - but is just starting to get his mojo back - and look really dominant at TAC Level. His most recent performance of four goals and 31 touches against the Falcons issued a bit of a reminder to recruiters, and he's been selected to go to State Screening, so there's interest there.

Heavyside's a highly competitive in-an-under midfielder who has a nice combination of a quick first few steps and agility to get out and spread on the outside. Bar a case of the yips in front of goal, Sam's a clean, one touch inside-midfielder with good skills in close with a great ability to get into goal-scoring positions.

Apart from his height - there's two things that I'd classify as weaknesses that would explain why he was overlooked last year and only garnered a SS invite this year. His kicking is one of almosts - it seems to miss by minute amounts with regularity. He's a bit of an exponent of the 35-40 metre chip kick and it doesn't have a huge hurt factor. But in saying that, he reads the game with aplomb and picks good options. The other weakness is an inability to kick relatively straightforward set-shots at goal. Heavyside should have been able to guarantee a spot on the AFL list with the chances he's had in front of goal - an inside midfielder who kicks 25 goals a season in any league is always in demand - but something goes wrong and Sam ends up spraying shots horribly - rather than just missing them.

He's someone who leads on the field through his actions - rather than through words (something that's common to all of Bendigo's good players of the last couple of years - Wines, Byrne, Chisari, Miller, etc) and gives 100% every time he goes out on the field. He reads the ball really well - and might surprise clubs with just how good his speed and agility is at State Screening.

Just a quick little summary for Fremantle fans...

#14 Cameron McCarthy - 195cm forward
#32 Daniel McStay - 193cm defender
#50 Bradley Bain - 186cm defender/midfielder
#68 Dallas Willsmore - 190cm forward
#86 Sam Bennett - 189cm utility
#104 Elliot Le Grice - 192cm defender

I quite clearly decided to go tall with my picks. Very happy to get both McCarthy and Willsmore, particularly as they are both quite different types of forwards. I could see McCarthy being the focal point, Chris Mayne playing alongside of him from the goalsquare and Willsmore being the hitup target at CHF.

Down back, I took another two athletically gifted KPPs to develop alongside of Tanner Smith. Ideally, I'd have Luke McPharlin take McStay under his wing and Michael Johnson to do the same with Le Grice.

And finally, we may not necessarily need another couple of 185-190cm utilities. But Bennett was far too good to pass up, being an outside runner like a Tendai Mzungu. While Bain is a Greg Broughton like ball magnet, capable of playing a number of roles.

Just give me a contested ball winning hard nut and a small forward in the rookie draft, and I'd be happy. Maybe throw in another young tall like Max King or Jed Redden too.

Great work Chris, I was looking for a player to take Gunston if the Hawks have 4 tall players in their forward line, and we don't have any one around the 190cm's who can play tall and small so I think we do need one.

Great work Chris, I was looking for a player to take Gunston if the Hawks have 4 tall players in their forward line, and we don't have any one around the 190cm's who can play tall and small so I think we do need one.

4 talls wouldn't work for us unless our forward line was something like;

Ballantyne Pavlich Fyfe/Morabitto
Sandilands/Clarke Mayne Walters

Quite like it to be honest (Mayne not 190 though is he? A mere 189).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People foxing maybe? :p Rumour on our board that Richmond are keen in the real deal.
Jake Kolodjashnij is a dark horse. No one even mentions him much. I saw him play in all the TSL finals for Launceston and he was awesome. He received player of the finals series for Launceston FC. Played CHF and even rucked against Laycock in the finals. Has hugh potential!! Can play both ends.

Tassie/QLD/NT... Those players are hard to rate because the vision and information on them is lacking for the rookie mock drafters.

It requires a Tassie poster to really shed light on these kids, there was a person last year that pumped up the boys, not sure who is doing it this year.

I bet mock drafts will have a heap more WA products in the coming weeks because there is a very good write up about the WA prospects on the board at the moment. When you're a mug phantom drafter, you rely on information on certain players to make judgement calls.

Jake Kolodjashnij is a dark horse. No one even mentions him much. I saw him play in all the TSL finals for Launceston and he was awesome. He received player of the finals series for Launceston FC. Played CHF and even rucked against Laycock in the finals. Has hugh potential!! Can play both ends.
Yep, good skills, great athleticism for his size and weight, has loads of upside. Would be surprised if he is still around by pick 40.

Tassie/QLD/NT... Those players are hard to rate because the vision and information on them is lacking for the rookie mock drafters.

It requires a Tassie poster to really shed light on these kids, there was a person last year that pumped up the boys, not sure who is doing it this year.

I bet mock drafts will have a heap more WA products in the coming weeks because there is a very good write up about the WA prospects on the board at the moment. When you're a mug phantom drafter, you rely on information on certain players to make judgement calls.

Got to hide those Qld kids away so no one knows about them!

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom Draft Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Back