Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone heard any of the new Anathema album? I am not sure if I am gonna pick this one up....maybe Tima has heard it??

Listened to it probably 50-60 times already I reckon :D :eek:

Great album. I think it's better than We're Here Because We're Here, and at the moment would even say it's their best album yet, surpassing Judgement. For me, it's just a great overall album - one of the best I've heard for years.

Don't know if it'd be for fans of metal only? I'm just as much into my commercial rock, and post-rock as I am my metal, so it's right up my alley. Weather Systems is a bit more orchestral, also with songs that build up to a climax more than the previous album. That style of song is what I like most with Anathema (Flying, Thin Air, Leave No Trace, One Last Goodbye, Anyone Anywhere, Judgement, Dreaming Light, Eternity Part III etc), so I find it stirs the emotions a bit more than the previous album.

These two songs need to be heard...

[YOUTUBE]Iq8JwdCb_kk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0t-VBXYcqTo[/YOUTUBE]

New Paradise Lost is a real grower guys....really loving it now.:thumbsu:

New Crazy Lixx is pretty good too (for those of you who like modern sleaze metal).

Got the new Crazy Lixx and Paradise Lost CDs today. The Crazy Lixx album rocks and the Paradise Lost album is looking solid. :thumbsu:

Will be getting the new Wodensthrone album soon, cannot wait to get that, great black metal from England.

Got the new Crazy Lixx and Paradise Lost CDs today. The Crazy Lixx album rocks and the Paradise Lost album is looking solid. :thumbsu:

Will be getting the new Wodensthrone album soon, cannot wait to get that, great black metal from England.

Nice work:).

Paradise Lost Tragic Idol is clearly in my top 1 or 2 albums of the year so far.
Initially I gave it a 7/10 but the thing grows and grows...
Head and shoulders the best thing they have done since Draconian Times; and the closest musically to the classic Icon/DT era.

roadrunner records going through its death throes

asdff

obviously a shadow of its former self already before it got bought out by warner, but was incredible in the 80's/90's before bailing and signing turds like spineshank and other assorted nu-metal. and goddamn nickelback.

(****ing incredible live version)
[youtube]wLYTKzvP5w8[/youtube]

[youtube]U9tdqYmaLOk[/youtube]

song that got me interested in death
[youtube]spVZNOd2XSM[/youtube]

[youtube]NQgCZasm6mU[/youtube]

asdff

obviously a shadow of its former self already before it got bought out by warner, but was incredible in the 80's/90's before bailing and signing turds like spineshank and other assorted nu-metal. and goddamn nickelback.

I own and love all of those albums (why didn't you include the first deicide album?!), and have for nearly 20 years now.

and I actually really like spineshank too haha... :eek:

it's very sad though, because I agree there used to be a time where it seemed like EVERYTHING that was on roadrunner (or 'roadracer' - remember that imprint?) was quality.

earache also went off the boil in a big way. I remember a time when napalm death, morbid angel, bolt thrower, entombed, carcass (etc) were all ripping it up on earache and then the label (ie. digby) just went silly and started signing all manner of crap...

yep, a whole bunch i could have added. i do remember roadracer, now that you mention it.

their jump to more popular material probably cost them their niche and made them more attractive to a big name buyout and the inevitable outcome of warner slicing off the fat. at the moment relapse is a reasonable example of a label (and their sister label 'release' with all the ambient/noise stuff) that has expanded its type of music without alienating their base. probably helps that it was started by musicians in the scene (exit-13).

i'm a bit worried about all the back catalogues of all those bands...

k0r50w.jpg

Would be nice, but I don't think I will manage to get to London...

asdff

Don't forget the Old Suffo's!! Pierced from within etc. :)

Now, there's absolutely no way of posting this without looking like a massive self promoting knobend, but one of my bands have been working on a music vid for the last 6 months and last weekend finally realeased it.

For fans of traditional Symphonic Melodic Death Metal, This is a high-quality production, with a decent sized cast and crew, stuntmen, pyrotechnics, and a medieval theme to go with it.

Being more useless than Aquaman with a camera in hand. I had bugger all to do with the planning, filming & cinematography of this clip other than to pretend I could hit a few drums to save my life, the other guys on the other hand have a successful media/filming business and love doing this kind of stuff.

Anyway, I figured this is as good place as any to share it, here we go.

[youtube]KoCo0jGX7n0[/youtube]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I own and love all of those albums (why didn't you include the first deicide album?!), and have for nearly 20 years now.

and I actually really like spineshank too haha... :eek:

it's very sad though, because I agree there used to be a time where it seemed like EVERYTHING that was on roadrunner (or 'roadracer' - remember that imprint?) was quality.

The 2nd Spineshank album which was the epitome of nu-metal wasnt too bad. Liked it a lot at the time but havent listened to it for years.

Its a bit sad as a large chunk of my album collection is Roadrunner stuff. As you said, there was a time where it was great band after great band after great album after great album.

Fear Factory - Soulf of a New Machine
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Sepultura - Chaos AD
Deicide - Once Upon the Cross
Brujeira - Raza Odiada
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Coal Chamber - Coal Chamber :D
Soulfly - Soulfly
Machine Head - The More Things Change
Slipknot - Slipknot
Chimaira - Pass Out of Existence
Killswitch Engage - Alive or just Breathing

Add in Earth Crisis, Glassjaw, Annihilator, Obituary, Opeth, Type O Negative, Front Line Assembly. Great bands and great list of albums.

To me, they started going down hill when every bloody Roadrunner release started having these really poor cover songs around 2000-02

[YOUTUBE]zVphLZtHhEs [/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]m7k7VtCW9Bs&feature=related [/YOUTUBE]
Did not know Kam Lee still had a active band. Really great stufff...

I never really hit the peaks of being obsessed with bands like Death/Cynic/Athiest/Aghora but they've all dome it for me at some time or another, Seeing Cynic, Athiest & Carcass live in Germany was certainly a treat though! Agree with the self-titled Aghora album too, very solid album.

gee, that coal chamber album hasn't aged well. i listened to it last year sometime. it's cheesy as hell, like a terrible b-grade horror movie you can't help but watch.

Yeah. I loved it as a kid and enjoyed seeing them for nostalgia at Soundwave but its a very ordinary album.

been digging this mares of thrace set on youtube in seeing as i have not yet bought their album. features a few of their better newer/heavier songs, but a few of them here have a really cool sort of jangly sound to them. i would get all up in the vocalist. she is/was in KEN mode recently who i have yet to look into at this point.

[youtube]tKsQJpnOeO0[/youtube]

---------------------

For fans of traditional Symphonic Melodic Death Metal, This is a high-quality production, with a decent sized cast and crew, stuntmen, pyrotechnics, and a medieval theme to go with it.

Anyway, I figured this is as good place as any to share it, here we go.

[youtube]KoCo0jGX7n0[/youtube]

i watched this. i would not normally call myself a fan of symphonic/melodic DM (or melodic DM for that matter) but it was enjoyable. the vocal thing going on at the 35 second mark and other times during the song grated me at first but i've gotten used to it.
video itself is a touch cheesy but clearly very well produced.

Been listening to Death - Human heaps lately as well as Cynic and Aghora self-titled albums.

Absolutely amazing music. musicians. one couldn't ask for more complete death metal.

need to go back to listening to more athiest/carcass/old in flames etc.

Kids these days. Hmpfh.

[YOUTUBE]b9RJXWxth5g[/YOUTUBE]
I love death, cynic, athiest etc etc and have for a long time, but this is still possibly the greatest tech-death song ever.

ever:cool:

another worthy addition (although their latest was a little boring tbh):
[YOUTUBE]9VjyeSX6ehg[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back