jarrod87

Debutant
May 6, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Celtics, Pittsburgh
I'm watching the 95 semi final game where Richmond fought back to beat the Bombers after trailing by 30 at half time. It's made me wonder what the footy public consider the biggest choke by a team in the last 20-30 years.
Some that spring to mind are North Melbourne choking against port Adelaide last year, Fremantle giving up a 50 point half time lead against Melbourne back in 2008, North Melbourne leading Essendon by 69 points in the 2nd qtr only to lose by 12 points.

Sorry if someone has already posted something like this.

I'm watching the 95 semi final game where Richmond fought back to beat the Bombers after trailing by 30 at half time. It's made me wonder what the footy public consider the biggest choke by a team in the last 20-30 years.
Some that spring to mind are North Melbourne choking against port Adelaide last year, Fremantle giving up a 50 point half time lead against Melbourne back in 2008, North Melbourne leading Essendon by 69 points in the 2nd qtr only to lose by 12 points.

Sorry if someone has already posted something like this.

dunno if any of them really are chokes. Choke would be if you are say, 10 points up with 5 minutes to play and end up blowing it. In the Fremantle/Melbourne game for example we didn't choke, we simply started playing unaccountable football and got overrun in the last quarter.

Fremantle against Essendon Round 3 2013
Could have been a choke either way - you let Mayne get a chance at a match winner from dead in front with seconds to go. Given Mayne's extraordinary accuracy, the fact you came away with four points is almost makes a case for divine intervention. If it had gone through it would have been an almighty piece of choking at the finish line.

As it was, well, sorry Fremantle but that was pretty chokey.

Us losing this year against Port Adelaide surely warrants a mention in here somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This sort of a game is more of a case of one team turning things around and getting an extended run on to overtake them. I reckon a choke is more a team leading by 4 goals and then giving it up with only 2-3 minutes to go.
Essendon vs Collingwood on ANZAC day a few years ago comes to mind, also port against the roos last year.

I can't really recall it, but an Essendon vs Carlton game back in the 80's. Bombers were down by 4-5 goals with approx 5 minutes left. The Bombers won.

That would have to be a fair choke.

Aslo just missing lots of shots and set shots on goal is a bit chokish.

Not even close to our worst. Round 7 2008 -

Fremantle v Melbourne

Melbourne 1.3.9 3.8.26 8.15.63 17.17.119
Fremantle 5.6.36 11.10.76 13.17.95 15.23.113

That was actually the second in a row iirc. Fremantle had played Geelong at Kardinia Park the previous week and were leading by five goals in the last quarter only to lose when the final siren went.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest choke by a team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back