Biggest choke by a team

Remove this Banner Ad

Idiot. We lead by 18 points late in the game. They took every chance that came their way, we stuffed up nearly everything.

Hawks never led by three goals in the second half. Hawthorn would have led for a total of about 10 minutes in the second half (about four minutes in the third quarter before McVeigh put Swans back in front) and about six in the last quarter before the Swans dominated the rest of the game.

Hawthorn definitely missed a few shots (Gunston hitting the post in the last the most obvious) but it definitely wasn't a choke. Swans led at half time, three quarter time and at the final siren.

Hawks in 2011 prelim was a definite choke. The worst Geelong choke I've seen was 2006 v West Coast. From one of the most electric first halves I've ever seen to a bottom 6 side in the space of an hour.

I thought it was obvious, they kept finishing 9th.

Oh, I just assumed they were always trying desperately to scrape in since they love giving us crap for "choking" last year but apparently in 2005 they were 7-2. So much more honourable then 8-1 then having half your team wiped out.

Don't know if it has been mentioned but the 1993 Preliminary Final between Essendon and Adelaide comes to mind. To be double Essendons score at half time and then to kick only 2.4 in the second half, compared the Bombers kicking 11.3 to me is a bit of choke.

Yep that was the one, over 40 points up at 3qtr time iirc, absolute madness by the Dogs players.
I love the way that Footy History gets re-written on BF.

Dogs led by 22 points at 3/4 time, and got to 28. Slightly different to 'Over 40 Points up'. I wonder how many games described here have had their circumstances 'enhanced for dramatic effect'.

I love the way that Footy History gets re-written on BF.

Dogs led by 22 points at 3/4 time, and got to 28. Slightly different to 'Over 40 Points up'. I wonder how many games described here have had their circumstances 'enhanced for dramatic effect'.

Do you know what ''iirc'' means?

Why the **** were they hoisting Libba onto their shoulders if they were only 22 points up? makes it even more bizarre.

Why the **** were they hoisting Libba onto their shoulders if they were only 22 points up? makes it even more bizarre.

Because after a goalless first 20 mins of the quarter by both sides, this was the goal (and I and countless others maintain to this day that it most certainly was one) that would have put the result to bed and us into our first GF in 36 years. The fact we lost by two points confirms that.

That's why.

You could sense that the Crows were always still a chance in that Prelim against the Dogs.

Kevin Bartlett certainly knew it. Told Drew Morphett as much with ten minutes left when he started spruiking a Saints V Dogs GF...five seconds later Libba kicks the aforementioned goal and that should have been that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He thought he'd just kicked a pretty good goal - which would have put them 28pts up with about 10 mins to go - I think they were celebrating 'the goal' as much as the lead. Best celebration for a point ever!!!

A choke really needs to be put in context, its not just a pure numbers thing,

West coast gave it a fair shake against port this year. Hardly put up a yelp and when they did have shots they blew them.

Sydney v North, 2004.

Sydney up by 40 at 3/4 time.

North win by 6.
The Corey Jones special banana from the boundary at the end in Archer's 250th.

Sadly, we've rarely beaten them since.

If I'm not mistaken, a Swans trainer died on the boundary line at the end of that game.

The Corey Jones special banana from the boundary at the end in Archer's 250th.

Sadly, we've rarely beaten them since.

If I'm not mistaken, a Swans trainer died on the boundary line at the end of that game.

And the crowd went West Coast at it booing the lack of kick to kick.

Don't know if it has been mentioned but the 1993 Preliminary Final between Essendon and Adelaide comes to mind. To be double Essendons score at half time and then to kick only 2.4 in the second half, compared the Bombers kicking 11.3 to me is a bit of choke.
Cant believe how this took this long to be mentioned.
I want to know if anyone here is older than 20. o_O

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest choke by a team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back