Biggest choke by a team

Remove this Banner Ad

Died midway through the third quarter.
I thought it was in the last quarter, like right at the end of the game?
Strangely enough, of all the memories from that game; Jones' goal, Sav with the shot after the sire, the boys celebrating with Archer, etc, my main memory is the image of Roosy on the boundary after the game just totally distressed and staring at the bench with the news the trainer had died.

I know of an almost choke from last year between Essendon and Sydney - Essendon were missing shots all day and piled on 10 goals or something in the last quarter.

They might have won the match if an Essendon player took the set shot, instead he played on right as the siren went.

Do you know what ''iirc'' means?

Why the **** were they hoisting Libba onto their shoulders if they were only 22 points up? makes it even more bizarre.
He wasn't on their shoulders he basically jumped Into their arms and ended up around their waist after he thought he'd kicked the steadier/ sealer, it wasn't it was a point, dogs lost. Jarman was immense.

not really, Sydney had Hawthorn's measure for most of the day, had they actually lost, it would have been one hell of a choke-job by Sydney after leading by as many as 28 points at one stage in the game.
Wrong as usual. The Swans never had Hawthorn's measure. It was a close match characterised by bursts from both sides. The game went down to wire and it was decided in the final minute.

The Hawks dominated the first quarter - 4.5.29 to 1.4.10 and unlucky to have the siren sound as Ellis kicked (what would've been) their 5th goal.

The Swans dominated the 2nd quarter - 6.0 to 0.1 - and kicked the first 2 goals of the 3rd qtr to open up a 27 point lead. EIGHT straight (unanswered) kicks at goal!!

Hawthorn (and Buddy) then took control of the game, kicking 5.2 to 0.0, before Mitchell gave away a dumb fifty metre penalty and McVeigh goaled. The Hawks were superior in 2 of the 3 quarters, but only 1 point separated the teams at 3/4 time. Swans 10.5.65 led Hawthorn 9.10.54

Hawthorn made all of the running in the first 10 minutes of the last quarter. They kicked the first 2 goals and led by 12 points. They missed a couple of gettable chances to go 3 goals ahead.

Sydney basically won the game in the next 10 minutes with goals to Hannebery, Jack and Goodes

Hawthorn did most of the attacking in the last 10 minutes and Sydney employed the 18 man flood. Gunstan hit the post and Sewell missed 2 snaps at goal. Lots of desperate defence by Sydney.

There was only a kick in it over the final 10 minutes before Malceski iced the game with only 40 seconds remaining.

I don't think Hawthorn choked. I think it was very similar to 2008. The underdog team applied a ton of pressure. They defended really well and they grabbed their opportunities in attack.

Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but Fremantle choked 5 weeks in a row or something in 2008, after leading a 3 qtr time in each game. In terms of choking a season, this would be it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant believe how this took this long to be mentioned.
I want to know if anyone here is older than 20. o_O

Had the Crows not won a flag (and another) four years later, this would get a lot more airtime.

The Dogs have lost another four prelims since that choke, which lends significant weight to it.

In 1999, didn't Adelaide lead Footscray 96-56 at 3/4 time only to be run down 99-97 or something?
Correct. 6 goals 7 to a point in the last quarter to win by two points.

Home and away we've had it all over the Crows, more often than not. Brad Johnson's 300'th game was one of our finest wins.

Doesn't change diddly squat when stacked up against 1997 (followed up with a ten goal flogging in 98 - Melbourne belted them by 8 goals in week 1 which under current rules would have seen them eliminated).

That side was the epitome of peaking at the right time, and Blight was the mastermind of it.

Collingwood versus Geelong Round 20 1972

Collingwood 7.0 13.3 15.7 17.9

Geelong 2.2 5.2 10.6 17.10

Collingwood were a top 3 team that year and Geelong were hopeless losing their 1st 10 games

Is this the infamous "shade" game?

Worth remembering a LOT of those boys went on to be triple premiership players.

Also believe that Wallsy doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves as a footy man.

Melbourne and Doggie fans should take a bit out of that. Was 6 years later that the Lions won a flag. Managed to finish stone motherless in between.

1999 Preliminary Final

Essendon (1st, 19-4, 128.8%)

Carlton (6th, 13-11, 101.8%)

Matthew Lloyd and Mark Mercuri didn't normally miss shots at goal, but they both missed easy goals from close-range in that frantic final term.

art-353-mercuri-bombers-300x0.jpg

Yeah I think Hawks in GF 2012 is right up there. Just got that game horribly wrong.

But Saints in 1997 GF is the biggest in my opinion. Stan Alves had a complete brain fart.

Carlton's 2012 season destroyed by injuries of every key player on the list. Never.Again.

1992 Anzac Day, Essendon v Melbourne. Dees up by 41 pts at 3/4 time, kick the first goal to get out to 47 points before Essendon stormed home to win by a point, Wanganeen kicked the winner iirc and some late heroics from Kickett.

Yeah I think Hawks in GF 2012 is right up there. Just got that game horribly wrong.

But Saints in 1997 GF is the biggest in my opinion. Stan Alves had a complete brain fart.

Not sure about that. Alves had nothing to stop Jarman.

I think it's haard for a team to have a choke - I define a choke as being so tense and determined NOT to stuff up that you overthink, spend too long on performing simple tasks - you stop doing things naturally. so for me it's an individual thing. Not everyone reacts the same way under pressure.

The one that stands out for me is Simon Eishold in the 1987 prelim. Last 2-3 minutes of a close game. Just completely cracked under pressure.

3 mins in:

Interestingly, at about 1 minute in, Buckenara has almost an identical kick to his famous after-the-siren winner - and misses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest choke by a team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back