Biggest choke by a team

Remove this Banner Ad

2 mentions involving Gold Coast...

v Richmond 2012
v Port 2011

Just a comment - I wonder how many Suns supporters said after either game "phew, lucky they choked!"

For me, the SUNS won the Port Adelaide game but Richmond choked in the Karmichael game.

Against Port in the final quarter we had all the run and carry and just outclassed Port.

Against Richmond every time they got the ball, they just did something stupid and turned it over. We had no right to win that one

Can't believe no one has mentioned North V Essendon, 2001. North up by 69 points at one stage and the Dons got up.

I don't know if these kinds of lead changes are 'chokes' as such - Pretty sure it was the 2nd quarter when North got that lead, so while yeah, they blew a huge lead, Essendon still had over half the game to get back into it.

I think chokes are more in the mould of blowing a lead where you literally do everything wrong in the last 5 minutes to lose it, where everything had to go right for the comeback team...

Round 3, 2007. Essendon have 16 scoring shots to Carlton's 3 by quarter time to lead by 38 points.

Then they fall asleep at the switch and lose to a team featuring Cain Ackland, Adam Bentick, Cameron Cloke, Brad Fisher, Ryan Houlihan, Setanta O'Hailpin, Jordan Russell, Bret Thornton and Simon Wiggins.

If this is the game I am thinking of, Essendon were up by 48 points late in the 2nd quarter. Fev kicks 2 right at the end of the first half and another 6 in the second half. Although to be fair to Essendon, we may have been ahead @ 3/4 time. So not exactly a last minute choke...

Other Carlton games that spring to mind

Carlton v Port Adelaide, Rnd 11 2008. Port dominates all day, goes into 3/4 time up by 30 points. Not just the size of the lead, but Carlton had only kicked 3 goals til 3/4 time in appalling wet conditions. SURELY port couldn't lose from there. But Port froze and Carlton kick 7.3 to 3 BEHINDS in the last quarter to win by 12.

99 Prelim.

Choke is the most overused word in team sports. Individuals choke. We see this occur in tennis and golf tournaments. We see it when footballers tighten up and miss easy shots at goal or when defenders make silly mistakes or give away panicked free kicks near goal.

It only takes 3 or 4 players to succumb to pressure in a tight game or become overawed by the big occasion and it can cause their team to lose. And then people start accusing the whole team of being "chokers". It's a bit too lazy and convenient for my liking.
  • Upsets will always occur in footy - it's a statistical probability - even the most one-sided mismatch will produce a shock result 1 in 100 times.
  • Momentum is also a factor in matches - if one team gets tired or loses their initiative and they stop running, the other team can wrest control of the momentum and sometimes, it can be almost impossible to stop.
People are very quick to classify these types of losses as a "choke"

I think a better description is "shit happens"

Surely one cant go past Norths chicken neck effort last weekend. Oh and the second half of the 98 Granny hahaha..

The Tigers piled on 8.3 in the first quarter against the Crows in 2012... ended up with 12.9, losing by a 4 goals and a bit.

Also Melbourne vs Essendon in 2012. Just choked the entire game, Essendon.

dunno if any of them really are chokes. Choke would be if you are say, 10 points up with 5 minutes to play and end up blowing it. In the Fremantle/Melbourne game for example we didn't choke, we simply started playing unaccountable football and got overrun in the last quarter.
Chok
HAWTHORN 2012 grand final.

One of the best
geelong 2008! was absolutely hilarious watching ablett start sobbing when he didn't win norm smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

geelong 2008! was absolutely hilarious watching ablett start sobbing when he didn't win norm smith.

Of course it had nothing to do with the fact his team lost, or that his grandfather had passed away during the week. It was all because he missed out on a personal accolade. :rolleyes:

I can't really recall it, but an Essendon vs Carlton game back in the 80's. Bombers were down by 4-5 goals with approx 5 minutes left. The Bombers won.

That would have to be a fair choke.

Aslo just missing lots of shots and set shots on goal is a bit chokish.

That was the day neale Daniher killed it in time on,the blues were a real power back then

Sydney v North, 2004.

Sydney up by 40 at 3/4 time.

North win by 6.
To be fair, i think that was the game where one of the trainers passed away on the sidelines during the match? Pretty sure the game of football wasn't the greatest priority at that point.

not really, Sydney had Hawthorn's measure for most of the day, had they actually lost, it would have been one hell of a choke-job by Sydney after leading by as many as 28 points at one stage in the game.
Hawthorn were up by a fair bit after the first quarter there was a 3 or 4 goal wind

To be fair, i think that was the game where one of the trainers passed away on the sidelines during the match? Pretty sure the game of football wasn't the greatest priority at that point.
Yep you're right. It was that game. The boys were a mess on the sideline

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest choke by a team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back