BJ Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Saint's fan I was gutted he left, one of my favourite players at the club. That said, it was probably the right move for both parties.

In my opinion he isn't worth anywhere near what Essendon are paying him, but Essendon are in a premiership window and St Kilda are far from it.

He wasn't going to win a premiership at St Kilda and they were right not to match the huge offer as that money needs to be used for younger kids that are going to shape our future.

Even though, as stated earlier, I don't think he's worth the money Essendon gave him anymore, it's still probably good business for Essendon, especially if the get a premiership out of it.

My Dad is a Bombers man so I've always considered them my second team, it's a very conflicting feeling. On one hand, if Saints can't win the premiership i'd like it to be Essendon, on the other hand, I don't think I could stomach watching BJ lift the cup with another team.

It certainly stirred some emotions in me watching his post match interview, I wish him all the best and I am shattered he's no longer a Saint, but I think we did the right thing.

Bombers are paying him 800kPA, lol, just lol.
Collingwood of all teams should know how well Goddard can play.

Since coming to the club Goddard has shown excellent leadership on and off the field and has played very solidly to very good. We payed overs for him because we knew he wouldn't come otherwise.

So far the investment has been worth it although time will tell in the years to come :thumbsu:

It's not lol if they lost nobody decent to get him. You can pay 100% of the cap. All rich clubs do. Would you prefer they pay him 500k and have 300 spare in cap? When they don't need it.
Strange post.

Strange post? was it a one year deal was it? no it wasn't, what happens next year when a very talented player shops himself around and the Bombers can't even bid because they're paying a has-been 400k over his real value? think before you post. ;)

Collingwood of all teams should know how well Goddard can play.

Since coming to the club Goddard has shown excellent leadership on and off the field and has played very solidly to very good. We payed overs for him because we knew he wouldn't come otherwise.

So far the investment has been worth it although time will tell in the years to come :thumbsu:

Put a shadow on Goddard and you can keep him to single digit figures, teams don't allow him to run free like he used too.

It's not lol if they lost nobody decent to get him. You can pay 100% of the cap. All rich clubs do. Would you prefer they pay him 500k and have 300 spare in cap? When they don't need it.
Strange post.
Exactly hes basically just taken up Prismall,McVeigh and possibly one of Reimers, Lonergan and Dyson's contracts. He was worth it during the offseason where we were able put someone to front the media who wasn't caught up in the drug scandle.

H
Strange post? was it a one year deal was it? no it wasn't, what happens next year when a very talented player shops himself around and the Bombers can't even bid because they're paying a has-been 400k over his real value? think before you post. ;)

What if nobody wants to leave because they are a gun side with gun leaders and Goddard wins multiple flags as a bomber. Apart from Cloke, swan and Pendles, we have no payer better than BJ. You are one eyed. I'm not.

Bombers are paying him 800kPA, lol, just lol.

Monfries, McVeigh, Slattery, Dyson out, Goddard, Daniher and Ashby, Kommer in.

Roughly the same amount of coin there. I say thats winning in every sense of the word.

Put a shadow on Goddard and you can keep him to single digit figures, teams don't allow him to run free like he used too.

If hes getting tagged at essendon then one of Watson, Stanton, Heppell, Zaharakis aren't getting tagged and thats another good thing for us. Its like a lot of club you can't tag everyone and bringing in another dangerous player like Goddard means another good player for us will be able to run free.

If hes getting tagged at essendon then one of Watson, Stanton, Heppell, Zaharakis aren't getting tagged and thats another good thing for us. Its like a lot of club you can't tag everyone and bringing in another dangerous player like Goddard means another good player for us will be able to run free.

Goddards time was when defensive Fwds were rare, he's a HBF, and you don't pay HBFs 500k let alone 800k, Leon Davis out performed Goddard in 2011 FFS and neither of the WA teams were even prepared to rookie him, but hey, good luck....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goddards time was when defensive Fwds were rare, he's a HBF, and you don't pay HBFs 500k let alone 800k, Leon Davis out performed Goddard in 2011 FFS and neither of the WA teams were even prepared to rookie him, but hey, good luck....

He hasn't spent that much time in the backline though. Hes spent alot of his time in the middle. He goes forward for a rest and goes back if we need a bit of supoort.

H

What if nobody wants to leave because they are a gun side with gun leaders and Goddard wins multiple flags as a bomber. Apart from Cloke, swan and Pendles, we have no payer better than BJ. You are one eyed. I'm not.

How many elite games has Goddard played since 2010? fact is mate if he played for Collingwood from 2011 he would've found himself in the VFL more often than not.

Gun player.

In addition, he didn't cross over with an injury (like some other big name trades have been eg Judd, McLean, Wellingham off the top of my head) and has slotted in seamlessly and played his best from day one. Great acquisition.

ok, good. I guess you'll see how he and the rest of the midfield go on Thursday won't you?

I Guess we will, FTR i'm not saying he isn't a good player, he was a great player in 2010, but those days are gone IMO, and it's not just about his output, it's also about measures teams take to nullify him, he doesn't cope well with a tag, if you don't know that then.................

Then Watson and Stanton run wild :thumbsu:

He's worth just isn't in the stats

That is actually a good point, IMO Goddard would be suited to a team with multiple running back options, can't tag them all, in fact he would fit in well with Collingwood as a HB, can't put defensive fwds on Shaw-Harry and Goddard.

Gun player.

In addition, he didn't cross over with an injury (like some other big name trades have been eg Judd, McLean, Wellingham off the top of my head) and has slotted in seamlessly and played his best from day one. Great acquisition.

Dude, some first year players across the comp have out performed Goddard this year lol.

Not worth it, i've told all that will listen since 2010 that he's been worked out (ask Saints fans), i predicted he wouldn't come top 20 in the 2011 brownlow, i was called a ****** etc etc, i have studied his game in great detail and he relies on uncontested ball, he panicks in close around stoppages and he always has, let him play the old Heath Shaw role and he will cut you to ribbins but teams don't allow HBs the space they used to enjoy, as i said mate, good luck.

Not worth it, i've told all that will listen since 2010 that he's been worked out (ask Saints fans), i predicted he wouldn't come top 20 in the 2011 brownlow, i was called a ****** etc etc, i have studied his game in great detail and he relies on uncontested ball, he panicks in close around stoppages and he always has, let him play the old Heath Shaw role and he will cut you to ribbins but teams don't allow HBs the space they used to enjoy, as i said mate, good luck.

So no one?

That was easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

BJ Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back