Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Walsh’s people sought outside club opinion on his injury. The second opinion did not suggest surgery as the clubs opinion was suggesting. Another external doc getting involved like Martin last year does not look good for our clubs people. Walsh’s back is now heaps better lucky they didn’t listen.
Put Mrs Martin on the payroll already.

Walsh’s people sought outside club opinion on his injury. The second opinion did not suggest surgery as the clubs opinion was suggesting. Another external doc getting involved like Martin last year does not look good for our clubs people. Walsh’s back is now heaps better lucky they didn’t listen.

Lots of conflicting information

The club is guided by external resources such as physicians, depending on the injury and how it responds to non-surgical treatment

Unless I am mistaken, the only person able to provide advice on back surgery is a neurosurgeon. To my knowledge, we don't have one on staff. So how is the club responsible for two external surgeons having a different opinion?

Good to hear his back is heaps better by the way, but given this significant set-back, it is quite possible the first opinion may have been the better one from a long-term point of view. I hope not, but I guess time will tell?

I think we will be keen to Bring back Marchbank, Weitering, Martin and Walsh. Sounds like Walsh may not be quite there but I think th e possibility of playing the other 4 against north and having a game in them before freo is high.
Don't forget e hollands and motlop. Can see all 6 coming in within the next 3 games.

Weitering - Young, easy peasy
Marchbank - Kemp maybe. though I still prefer Kemp
Walsh - Carroll (kept in the team as sub...Durdin out)?
Hollands - Cuningham straight swap?
Martin - Owies?
Motlop - Fantasia straight swap?

Saad Weitering Williams
Newman Kemp McGovern

O.Hollands Cripps Acres
TDK Cerra Walsh

E.Hollands McKay Cottrell
Martin Charlie Motlop

Boyd Hewett Kennedy Carroll ... Durdin Sub

At this point for Walsh a gentle couple of quarters in the VFL might be handy followed by the sub vest. We need to curtail his desire to thrust himself into things at full tilt, especially after injury.
I don't mind him easing back playing half a VFL game.

Straight in as a starter though after that. If he's ready, he's ready to play as a starter. Not a fan of using sub to ease players in - the fresh legs can be a gamechanger and we want whoever it is to be able to run at full pelt.

Don't forget e hollands and motlop. Can see all 6 coming in within the next 3 games.

Walsh - Carroll (kept in the team as sub...Durdin out)?
Hollands - Cuningham straight swap?
Martin - Owies?
Motlop - Fantasia straight swap?
Not dropping all 3 of Bot, Cunners and Owies to keep Kennedy in with Elijah and Martin.

At this point for Walsh a gentle couple of quarters in the VFL might be handy followed by the sub vest. We need to curtail his desire to thrust himself into things at full tilt, especially after injury.

Nah, when he’s ready he’s playing AFL…
Put him on the wing and give Ollie a vest, he’s not doing enough at present offensively, very fumbly, and getting by on defensive effort only.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm told club went outside for options like they did with Docherty's knee. I see that as a positive

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cue "but jack martin's wife had to............."

Not dropping all 3 of Bot, Cunners and Owies to keep Kennedy in with Elijah and Martin.

I feel for Kennedy. Had a great pre season and is fitter than ever

Then had to play Martin role which didn't suit. Throw him back on the ball and you will see a different player. The question I asked pre season is how do we fit Cripps Kennedy Hewett and Carroll in the same side?

had pneumonia over 10 years ago, the recuperation is ridiculously long, still don't think I'd be able to play out a game for carlton.....

I once knew a guy in high school that was so sure of his own abilities that he said he could definitely play in the AFL. 17 years old and never played any AFL at junior level. Football (soccer) was his sport. All these years later and I still wonder where he got his confidence from. 😂

I once knew a guy in high school that was so sure of his own abilities that he said he could definitely play in the AFL. 17 years old and never played any AFL at junior level. Football (soccer) was his sport. All these years later and I still wonder where he got his confidence from. 😂
you left out the bit where I said "if I really wanted to"...............fmd.............

I feel for Kennedy. Had a great pre season and is fitter than ever

Then had to play Martin role which didn't suit. Throw him back on the ball and you will see a different player. The question I asked pre season is how do we fit Cripps Kennedy Hewett and Carroll in the same side?
All 3 of Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy in the midfield is unbalanced.
I think Kennedy could be sub, as the impact centre square player, with some versatility. He's not a proper forward though.

All 3 of Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy in the midfield is unbalanced.
I think Kennedy could be sub, as the impact centre square player, with some versatility. He's not a proper forward though.
Yeah I like Hewett or Kennedy as a sub. Rotate them to keep them both fresh?!

Kennedy's ability to rack up 10 disposals in 1.5 qtrs and bob up for a goal or 2 makes him a great sub imo.

Unless I am mistaken, the only person able to provide advice on back surgery is a neurosurgeon. To my knowledge, we don't have one on staff. So how is the club responsible for two external surgeons having a different opinion?

Good to hear his back is heaps better by the way, but given this significant set-back, it is quite possible the first opinion may have been the better one from a long-term point of view. I hope not, but I guess time will tell?
neuro if it's spinal/nerve or disc but equally it could be orthapedic if it's more muscular/bone related

neuro if it's spinal/nerve or disc but equally it could be orthapedic if it's more muscular/bone related
On reflection I am less concerned about the differing opinions and more concerned that one of them recommended a second spinal surgery. It would not have been recommended lightly. I hope Red_man2008's mail is wrong on this occasion.

I think we will be keen to Bring back Marchbank, Weitering, Martin and Walsh. Sounds like Walsh may not be quite there but I think th e possibility of playing the other 4 against north and having a game in them before freo is high.
EHollands?

RE Walsh and the going for surgery rumour, did anyone see Voss' response to being asked if the reports were accurate and surgery was being considered?

It was a fairly confident and direct "No" from Voss.

To me it seems like media beat up.

Read between the lines. Was it, “No. He doesn’t need surgery” or “No! He doesn’t need surgery.”

Read between the lines. Was it, “No. He doesn’t need surgery” or “No! He doesn’t need surgery.”
It was in a press conference, I don't have the timestamp and am not particularly interested to sit through it again, but suffice to say it filled me with the confidence that he didn't need surgery, to the point where I don't think they ever actually considered surgery beyond perhaps seeking consultation from a Neurosurgeon - which doesn't actually mean surgery. Neurosurgery isn't solely surgery, despite what the name might suggest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back