Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't Libba senior back in the 90s come back from an ACL after about 18 weeks?
As an aside, what happened to LARS? Was the in thing 10 to 15 years ago. Unless there are long term issues with the knee that impact enjoyment of life in later years, would have thought someone like Doc who is near the end of his career would be a good candidate to get him back this season? Totally understand for a young bloke to go the traditional route. Then again, not being a medical person, I'm likely missing something here.

1716943542264.png

Didn't Libba senior back in the 90s come back from an ACL after about 18 weeks?
As an aside, what happened to LARS? Was the in thing 10 to 15 years ago. Unless there are long term issues with the knee that impact enjoyment of life in later years, would have thought someone like Doc who is near the end of his career would be a good candidate to get him back this season? Totally understand for a young bloke to go the traditional route. Then again, not being a medical person, I'm likely missing something here.
They found that LARS sucks and don't recommend it anymore.

They found that LARS sucks and don't recommend it anymore.
It’s actually a real shame because LARS tech was really in its infancy, and if they’d continued doing them the process would’ve been significantly improved and refined by now.

However most clubs/athletes rightly felt it was an unnecessary risk so it kind of just died out

Very interesting study. My initial ruminations:
  • I don't think the patient cohort were professional sportspeople
    • The study looked at if patients were returning to high-risk sports (that involve jumping/pivoting), but the level of competition was not considered
    • I'm guessing the sports listed (handball / soccer / floorball and even basketball) would have lower ACL (re)injury rates than AFL.
      • While AFL players would have better rehab/medical supervision than trial participants, AFL would likely materially higher risk than someone playing amateur soccer...
      • WTF is Floorball?
  • Four patients returned to sport fewer than 5 months after surgery. All four of these patients suffered a knee reinjury within 2 months of return (not surprising, but still damning)
  • 45.5% of the reinjuries sustained within 2 months of returning to sport (maybe ease players back via the VFL for a few months, where they can take it a little easy?)
  • After nine months, time made little difference. But the key factors that correlated with a lower reinjury rate were 1) passing a return to sport test and 2) symmetrical strength across both quads
    • I am pretty sure that symmetrical quad strength for Weitering is the only reason the earth's axis has not tilted significantly beyond 23.5 degrees

It’s actually a real shame because LARS tech was really in its infancy, and if they’d continued doing them the process would’ve been significantly improved and refined by now.

However most clubs/athletes rightly felt it was an unnecessary risk so it kind of just died out
footy clubs don't control scientific research. LARS has been surpassed by research into other techniques and more data available not really by footy departments

Very interesting study. My initial ruminations:
  • I don't think the patient cohort were professional sportspeople
    • The study looked at if patients were returning to high-risk sports (that involve jumping/pivoting), but the level of competition was not considered
    • I'm guessing the sports listed (handball / soccer / floorball and even basketball) would have lower ACL (re)injury rates than AFL.
      • While AFL players would have better rehab/medical supervision than trial participants, AFL would likely materially higher risk than someone playing amateur soccer...
      • WTF is Floorball?
  • Four patients returned to sport fewer than 5 months after surgery. All four of these patients suffered a knee reinjury within 2 months of return (not surprising, but still damning)
  • 45.5% of the reinjuries sustained within 2 months of returning to sport (maybe ease players back via the VFL for a few months, where they can take it a little easy?)
  • After nine months, time made little difference. But the key factors that correlated with a lower reinjury rate were 1) passing a return to sport test and 2) symmetrical strength across both quads
    • I am pretty sure that symmetrical quad strength for Weitering is the only reason the earth's axis has not tilted significantly beyond 23.5 degrees
Agree.

Passing the RTS tests/protocols was paramount.

Be borderline stupidity if you hadn't ticked those boxes...

Injury Update 4th June …

Latest

Player

Injury

Update

Dom AkueiIllnessWas a late withdrawal from the VFL side on Sunday.
Availability: test. (Update: 4 June)
Matt CarrollGroinRemains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: to be assessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 28 May)
Matthew CottrellFootUnderwent scans which revealed navicular stress reaction. Club will work through rehabilitation plan in coming weeks.
Availability: to be reassessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 14 May)
David CuninghamCalfAvailability: to be assessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 28 May)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Sam DurdinSorenessWas a late withdrawal from the VFL side on Sunday.
Availability: test. (Update: 4 June)
Jack MartinCalfAvailability: to be assessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 28 May)
Hudson O'KeeffeHamstringExperienced a high-grade hamstring strain at training on Sunday.
Availability: 8-12 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Marc PittonetFingerAvailability: test. (Update: 4 June)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)

Update 6th June …

Fantasia out injured - (AC joint sprain)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Carroll is the forgotten man.

I know he has OP, but an update would be nice. (He’s briefly in last week’s footage of Cooper Lord arriving at the club).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I know the club is damned if they do, damned if they don’t. But in my personal opinion these reports are just lazy. I’m totally cool with them deciding to structure it this way - but if that’s the case then at least make the minimum amount of effort to update the info like you’ve just mentioned.

I know the club is damned if they do, damned if they don’t. But in my personal opinion these reports are just lazy. I’m totally cool with them deciding to structure it this way - but if that’s the case then at least make the minimum amount of effort to update the info like you’ve just mentioned.
I think they've mostly been ok this year - certainly an improvement over last. But given the last update on Matt was on 30-Apr, and said "at least a month", it would be nice to have seen an update at the end of May.

I don't mind if we don't get a weekly update on everyone that's injured long-term. The updates we've been seeing on others like "will be reviewed after the bye" are just fine - as long as we get a new update after the bye.

Matt Carroll is the forgotten man.

I know he has OP, but an update would be nice. (He’s briefly in last week’s footage of Cooper Lord arriving at the club).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's not that far away. I am mates with his Dad. He's chomping at the bit to play!!!! Whole family are Blues tragics!!!

Get through this week and uscathed and we'll have almost a full list for the run home (minus Doc and JSOS).
Pretty good position to be in.
Gordon Ramsay Reaction GIF by Hell's Kitchen

It sounds more like the bulk will be back a week or two after the Bye. Hopefully Cottrell is back playing straight after the Bye. Recon Cerra and Martin will be the week after the bye going by their history and AFL.com's listing. Cerra's first game back after injury is usually rubbish so you pretty much add a week to his return. Martin, who knows what will happen with him, I am tipping a VFL return, maybe a game or two there. Need to see whether his body will be ok with playing football.

The sub rule makes it easy to bring players back early into the AFL. But I think Jack needs some lower level games.

It will be nice to see Matt Carroll coming off that list. Hate seeing young players missing quality development games. Just sucks he gets to play in the VFL's worst team.

It will be nice to see Matt Carroll coming off that list. Hate seeing young players missing quality development games. Just sucks he gets to play in the VFL's worst team.

Our demerger from Preston/Northern Bullants was supposed to lead to a more competitive VFL environment I’m not sure whether our poor VFL side is due to our injury performance, lack of depth or a combination of both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back