• Completing his running program
  • Availability: TBC
Sam Durdin (calf)
- Availability: 2-3 weeks

Hudson O’Keeffe (hamstring)
  • Returned to full training
  • Availability: 1-2 weeks
Caleb Marchbank (concussion)
  • Continues to be monitored and a further update will be provided as he progresses
  • Availability: TBC

IMG_1073.jpeg
IMG_1074.jpeg

Last edited:
Latest Injury Update 6th August …

UPDATES on six Blues leading into Round 22.

Adam Cerra (hamstring)
  • Scans have confirmed he experienced a hamstring strain during Saturday night’s game
  • The Club will work through his recovery timeline over the next fortnight

Matthew Cottrell (shoulder)
  • Scans have confirmed he experienced a fracture to his shoulder during Saturday night’s game that will require surgery
  • As a result he will miss the remainder of the 2024 AFL season

Charlie Curnow (ankle)
  • Experienced a rolled ankle on Saturday night but is expected to be available to play
  • Availability: test

Caleb Marchbank (concussion)
  • Has entered concussion protocols following the VFL game on Saturday
  • Will be unavailable for selection this week

Orazio Fantasia (calf)

- Availability: 1-2 weeks

Zac Williams (hamstring)

- Availability: test

IMG_8204.jpeg
IMG_8205.jpeg
IMG_8206.jpeg

Last edited:

3 weeks to go and our injury list is in the double digits.

5 of those are soft tissue injuries.

Think New Amsterdam GIF by NBC

Cottrell hasn’t been in the greatest form but that hurts. Limits half forward/wing rotations we have. Hopefully it means we see Walsh spend more time on the wing as a result though.

Hopefully Charlie is OK. He’s had a few ankle issues this year and I honestly don’t think he’s been fully fit for a while.

I’d be conservative with Williams given his injury history. We’ll need him fit and firing through finals should we make it.

Jack Martin gets through a game unscathed :thumbsu:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie and his ankle again... swear he's been listen for a rolled ankle 3 or 4 times now. Does he not take them up to play?

Taping an ankle does not prevent injury nor does it eliminate the risk of injury. It’s merely an attempt to reduce the severity of an ankle injury should it occur. If Charlie has an ongoing ankle issue then the only long-term solution is rehabilitation or surgery depending on severity.

I don’t know the extent of his injury obviously but to get back to 100% he probably needs weeks off but that won’t happen at this stage of the season.

What you’ll see in a lot of sports (AFL included) is athletes taping prophylactically (taping despite never having had a serious injury to that body part) in order to prevent the severity of injury.

Cottrell hasn’t been in the greatest form but that hurts. Limits half forward/wing rotations we have. Hopefully it means we see Walsh spend more time on the wing as a result though.

Hopefully Charlie is OK. He’s had a few ankle issues this year and I honestly don’t think he’s been fully fit for a while.

I’d be conservative with Williams given his injury history. We’ll need him fit and firing through finals should we make it.
If we lose forget finals, play him

Charlie and his ankle again... swear he's been listen for a rolled ankle 3 or 4 times now. Does he not take them up to play?
Interestingly, pregame commentary a week or so ago mentioned a number of current generation players don’t tape ankles, unlike the practice of years ago.

Interestingly, pregame commentary a week or so ago mentioned a number of current generation players don’t tape ankles, unlike the practice of years ago.
I used to find it harder to kick the ball well with a taped ankle, affected the natural movement of my kick. Perhaps others find the same issue with taping their ankles and kicking ?

I used to find it harder to kick the ball well with a taped ankle, affected the natural movement of my kick. Perhaps others find the same issue with taping their ankles and kicking ?
Could be. I think it was Brereton who said he taped for every training session and game through his career, and that it was the norm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back