• Completing his running program
  • Availability: TBC
Sam Durdin (calf)
- Availability: 2-3 weeks

Hudson O’Keeffe (hamstring)
  • Returned to full training
  • Availability: 1-2 weeks
Caleb Marchbank (concussion)
  • Continues to be monitored and a further update will be provided as he progresses
  • Availability: TBC

IMG_1073.jpeg
IMG_1074.jpeg

Last edited:
Some players are just injury prone - Marchbank, Cunningham, Martin, Williams, Durdinx2; McGovern, Fantasia.
Some players have been playing under considerable duress - Curnow, Walsh, TDK (even before latest injury), Newman, Acres.
Some players have been injured and “eased” straight back into seniors - Cerra, Cottrell.
Saad pick your group. Motlop was made to play VFL but is still unfit. Harry nqr for weeks. Doc/JSOS.

Problems create problems. An awful lot of problems to manage but that’s normal for an AFL club - we’ve been found wanting.

Appalling mismanagement of injured and perennially injured players has derailed this season.

Appalling mismanagement not just this season, this is the zenith I hope

Went at least two too many seasons with the current HPT, halfway through last season Russell was gone and then a miracle happened with the perennially injured. Cuningham has been with Russell for 3/4 of his career and Marchbank one year less, Martin averaged significantly more game time with GC than he has with us. This argument they are not the fault of the current HPT is ridiculous, they did nothing to fix the issues they are well paid to fix.
Now we have current guns being perennially injured. Its just absurd mismanagement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Okay the double speak of Brad Lloyd at three quarter time has me absolutely spitting chips.

Curnow has carried an injury since late last year. I believe it was on our 22nd game but could have been in the GWS game.

Charlie refuses to make excuses for it and won't accept it for why he was poor in the finals last year.

I believe that it has been the ankle all along.

It's why he has gone from a player who consistently made second and third efforts and to a player who makes one effort and is incapable of making consecutive efforts. It's also why he leads with so many one sided efforts and has protected the one side.

Seriously this football club is ****ed.
I like your post, but, why wasn’t it addressed after the prelim? Like WTF

I like your post, but, why wasn’t it addressed after the prelim? Like WTF

IIRC there were reports here that he was in a boot for a bit.

However, I can't tell you one way or the other that it wasn't.

I hate my post. I just want an honest club.

Interesting to check in on how the round 0 teams (who had to play after a ludicrously short pre-season) have gone generally:

Carlton - played away in Queensland, then again 6 days later (for some reason): 17 players on the injury list after this round. Started 11-4. Now 12-9, season in tatters

Richmond - played away in Queensland, then again 5 days later (for some reason); 15 players on the injury list, bottom of the ladder, season in tatters

Collingwood - played away in NSW, then again 6 days later (for some reason); have had a very up and down year with injury. Started 0-3, found form (7-2-0 in the next 9), have now lost 6 of their last 8 (with the only wins being against Carlton and Richmond), season in tatters

Melbourne - played away in NSW. They at least got a 9 day break. Almost all key players (Gawn/Petracca/Oliver/May) have missed stretches of time. Started the season 6-2, had a middling period, have now lost 4 straight and will miss finals

All four Melbourne teams that travelled to play a game on the 6th/7th of March have significantly underperformed expectations, and in particular, have fallen away over the last month, as have Sydney (who also played then). The teams that didn't travel have been a bit better - Brisbane treated the first two months as an extended pre-season, and then rounded into form which was clearly the move to take. GWS had a bad form slump (lost 6/8) but have also since hit peak form, albeit with a streak of close wins. Gold Coast have taken the piss all year and don't count.

There has to be something in that. Footy simply isn't meant to be played in northern states in early March, when players have had barely any time to digest their Christmas pudding, and the coming back and playing 5-6 days later at the MCG...

I don't know what is going on with our fitness team but I do know that we should be kicking and screaming to avoid playing in the farce that is 'round 0' again next year (particularly given that Thursday game vs Richmond is pretty much locked in, which means at best we get a 6 day break again). As dubiously titled as our 'high performance team' are, it seems to be a lot harder if you have to balance that sort of start to the year as well as everything else going on across the league...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to check in on how the round 0 teams (who had to play after a ludicrously short pre-season) have gone generally:

Carlton - played away in Queensland, then again 6 days later (for some reason): 17 players on the injury list after this round. Started 11-4. Now 12-9, season in tatters

Richmond - played away in Queensland, then again 5 days later (for some reason); 15 players on the injury list, bottom of the ladder, season in tatters

Collingwood - played away in NSW, then again 6 days later (for some reason); have had a very up and down year with injury. Started 0-3, found form (7-2-0 in the next 9), have now lost 6 of their last 8 (with the only wins being against Carlton and Richmond), season in tatters

Melbourne - played away in NSW. They at least got a 9 day break. Almost all key players (Gawn/Petracca/Oliver/May) have missed stretches of time. Started the season 6-2, had a middling period, have now lost 4 straight and will miss finals

All four Melbourne teams that travelled to play a game on the 6th/7th of March have significantly underperformed expectations, and in particular, have fallen away over the last month, as have Sydney (who also played then). The teams that didn't travel have been a bit better - Brisbane treated the first two months as an extended pre-season, and then rounded into form which was clearly the move to take. GWS had a bad form slump (lost 6/8) but have also since hit peak form, albeit with a streak of close wins. Gold Coast have taken the piss all year and don't count.

There has to be something in that. Footy simply isn't meant to be played in northern states in early March, when players have had barely any time to digest their Christmas pudding, and the coming back and playing 5-6 days later at the MCG...

I don't know what is going on with our fitness team but I do know that we should be kicking and screaming to avoid playing in the farce that is 'round 0' again next year (particularly given that Thursday game vs Richmond is pretty much locked in, which means at best we get a 6 day break again). As dubiously titled as our 'high performance team' are, it seems to be a lot harder if you have to balance that sort of start to the year as well as everything else going on across the league...
correlation is not causation.

I reckon Russell lost his job over the crazy pre-season all the way to Round 0 (which is common knowledge).

Our 1st lot of injuries earlier in the year really derailed us and have been fighting for fitness ever since.

Round 0 was new which involved the 1st game then a bye afterwards, I reckon he just got way too clever with the whole thing and it backfired, arguably costing us a season right in our window, which is a fairly bad **** up.

Pure speculation of course.

Btw I think the Pies had this approach as well and well.. look at them.

Over worked, under rested, heavy reliance on stars and the rest to be over worked role players. Recipe for a health and fitness implosion. Ppl have been saying for 2 years the game plan is extraordinarily taxing. Looks like Voss and Russell decided to double down on the taxing gameplan by trying to force the list to be fit enough to pull it off with a grueling pre season.

Human body simply has limits. The Olympics 100m final 100 years ago was run 0.8s slower than this year's final. With heavy shoes, no sports scientists, true amateurs, and a dirt track without starting blocks or over engineered bouncy weather resistant 'track'.

Innovation is not forcing 40 players to exceed what is humanly capable without further evolution. It's working within human limits.

Even Olympic marathoners can turn up on the day and their body just says no. You'll see the 55th runner cross the finish line with a huge smile and you'll see national record holders dnf. Its a triumph to finish a race that long at pace. I believe we pushed bodies that hard that they're just saying 'nah not today, simply cannot'. And the AFL season is a marathon. Its not a sprint. Its not even a middle distance race aka the NFL. Its a ****ing marathon.

2 full seasons of extreme pressure as the minimum requirement, extreme distance running by the outside guys and an EXTREME under rotation of those outside guys.... Looks inevitable. Data guys are working with the wrong models by the sound of it too.

It is easy to blame 1 person and changing 1 person seldom has much of an impact but

The facts are we are near the top of games missed due to injury every year. Whether this is Andrew Russell or the fact we have recruited injury plagued players on a discount or some other factors, the cause need to be determined.

We are realistically facing not having played a single minute yet the likelihood is another wasted year due to not having a core of best players available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From March 4.

It is pretty simple really. Have the majority of your best players playing and in form for the majority of the year. We start from behind, every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back